*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

figmentPez

Staff member

They're installing pop-up panic rooms in school classrooms now.

We live in a dystopian hellscape.

EDIT: This reply, "Absurdity of the idea aside, it seems like it would be open to abuse and misuse as well? Creating a bulletproof, private and locked space inside a school that (presumably) can only be opened by the people on the inside?" :Leyla:

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Noteworthy for being a private school, as well as having a female shooter.

This should not be such a common occurrence that there are notable exceptions to any details of the event. There shouldn't be anything "normal" about a school shooting.

figmentPez

Staff member
Since conservatives won't be able to pull the usual "this happened because you took prayer out of schools", I expect them to fall back to "God is punishing Presbyterians for ordaining gay ministers", completely ignoring that there are multiple groups that call themselves Presbyterian, and as best I can tell the church in question is part of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), a group that believes homosexuality is sin and has policies against ordaining practicing homosexuals, or those that actively identify as homosexual.

No matter how much someone is part of the "in group", christofascists will always find a way to cut them out when it's convenient. Remember, bad things only happen to bad people. If you're sick, or poor, or tragedy has befallen you, that's because you're a sinner and you deserved it! </S>

figmentPez

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if the right wing idiots claim the female shooter is trans or something.
I've already seen comments online asking "was she a biological female?", alongside assumptions that the shooter "must be a feminist who has been brainwashed to think that the church is evil".

figmentPez

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if the right wing idiots claim the female shooter is trans or something.
And to no one's surprise, that's exactly the rumor that is going around. "Unconfirmed" is trending on Twitter with tons of right wing asshats gleefully talking about how dangerous they think trans people are.

And to no one's surprise, that's exactly the rumor that is going around. "Unconfirmed" is trending on Twitter with tons of right wing asshats gleefully talking about how dangerous they think trans people are.
Apparently it has been confirmed that the shooter was AFAB which is the group biogots usually care the least about. Though now they’re going to have some real shitty takes.

figmentPez

Staff member
Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) on school shootings: "We're not gonna fix it."

This fucking asshole keeps his child "safe" by homeschooling, content to just abandon the rest of the country to violence.

Meanwhile, he also thinks banning drag shows is going to keep children safe.

It will literally take a constitutional amendment to do anything. It would be nice if any Rs had the spine to try and shift the conversation even a little in that direction, though.

Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) on school shootings: "We're not gonna fix it."

This fucking asshole keeps his child "safe" by homeschooling, content to just abandon the rest of the country to violence.

Meanwhile, he also thinks banning drag shows is going to keep children safe.
To "fix" it would imply that it's broken. Unfortunately the system is working as they intend

figmentPez

Staff member
It was a catholic school right? Maybe it will hit close to home for someone.
Presbyterian.

EDIT: Tennessee governor Bill Lee was friends with murdered teacher Cynthia Peak

One of the 9 year-olds killed was the daughter of the lead pastor of the church.

I don't expect either of these connections to change a damn thing. Far more likely these 6 people will be turned into martyrs for the Christofascist Right. The teachers and custodian will be hailed as brave soldiers protecting children from the evil trans. The children will be mourned as a loss of natural resources, and Christians urged to marry and get busy replacing them to ensure a steady supply of domestic infants.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
EDIT: Deleted link to twitter thread because the Twitter user is a TERF.

However, that doesn't change that the leadership of Covenant Presbyterian are accused of covering up sexual abuse of children. I really want to know if the shooter had any connection to that.

The man accused, John Perry, co-authored several books with Mike Huckabee.

This church is very well connected politically.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
The leadership of Covenant Presbyterian are accused of covering up sexual abuse of children. I really want to know if the shooter had any connection to that.

The man accused, John Perry, co-authored several books with Mike Huckabee.

This church is very well connected politically.
Wow, screw "accused", they defnitely covered up the sexual abuse of children.

John Perry confessed to the molestation, but escaped charges because the statute of limitations was past.

Perry told the media "that whatever private difficulties there may have been, the parties involved were reconciled and restored years ago, for which I thank God every day."

This is a story from 2015! I would absolutely not be surprised if there were more incidents after that.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Republicans will vote to expel three Democrats from the Tennessee Legislature following gun control protest

"Three Democratic lawmakers who took part in protests on the House floor of the Tennessee statehouse will face expulsion later this week.

"Earlier Monday, the three lawmaker were removed from their committee assignments and had their badges to the capitol deactivated.

"Reps. Justin Jones, D-Nashville; Justin J. Pearson, D-Memphis; and Gloria Johnson, D-Knoxville, are facing discipline after supporting protesters pushing for more gun control at the capitol, days after the Covenant School shooting. "

This is despicable. Expelling duly elected lawmakers because they exercised their rights to free speech, freedom of assembly, and protest. This christofascist bullshit needs to be stopped.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Tennessee is just two generations removed from Jim Crow, and five generations removed from slavery. It shows.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Right-wingers have found their new rallying cry, "pronouns kill". They're all jumping to promote the narrative that this latest shooter had "pronouns in bio" and must be a Democrat who was politically motivated.

figmentPez

Staff member
Two more mass shootings overnight:

2 people were killed and 4 others were wounded when shots were fired into a crowd at Chickasaw Park in Louisville, Kentucky, police say

Yes, that's another shooting in Louisville. "It’s unclear who opened fire. Police say they have yet to identify who was responsible or determine a motive in the incident. "

More than 20 shot at Dadeville, Alabama gathering

Four people are dead. The shooting took place at a 16th birthday party and most of the victims are teenagers. It is not known if there is a suspect in custody yet.

Last edited:
I’m not sure who I’m more disgusted with. The GOP lawmakers who will just say it’s too soon to talk about it, or their white trash voters who are probably flocking to the nearest gun store to stockpile ammo as we speak.