*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

"It wasn't the gun, he had mental health issues."

"Okay fine, then let's prevent people with dangerous mental health issues from getting or keeping guns."

"Now hold on buddy let's not get too hasty here."

figmentPez

Staff member
It's Texas. He's going to get off for it being out of self defense.
He's not an American, though. He's a Mexican national and his victims were immigrants from Honduras. That means Texas Republicans don't give a fuck about any of them.

This story isn't going to get spun as "no one saw it coming, he was such a normal guy", it's going to be made about race / nationality.

Translation: "If you're one of those who thinks thoughts and prayers carry no weight, then you are a godless heathen and no longer one of 'us.'"

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
For what its worth, everyone is talking about that today.
Yup. I was just super early about the news.

And guess what? Guy is a right wing nazi. Excuse me, a mentally ill lone wolf shooter. Oh wait. He's hispanic. Fucking brown people. All of them are terrorists.

In all seriousness, how long until tattoo artists are forced to report swastika/SS tattoo requests the same way banks have to report cash transactions of $10k and up?

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
This country is a shithole.

EDIT: For anyone not wanting to watch this pile of crap, it's a PSA video about how to survive a mass shooting, with actors talking to the camera giving helpful hints. It's basically treating a mass shooting like some sort of natural disaster, like "how to survive a fire" or "how to survive a hurricane", except we're living in a horror movie where armed gunmen are just being accepted as an inevitable part of life.

The video gives a link to FBI dot gov / something, but I have no idea if the FBI made this video, or who is responsible for it.

jfss.png

Wow.
Just...wow.

This is a real thing. And yes, those really are holes all the way through the book.
Patricia Oliver lost her son, 17-year-old Joaquin Oliver, in a mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida in 2018. Since then, Oliver has committed herself to the cause of gun reform in America — and her latest effort involves an adorably horrific children's book that depicts the events of the day in cartoonishly gruesome detail.
The site also has links to a place that will let you send a hard copy to your congressperson, if you desire.

--Patrick

Which I would say just means you've been desensitized as well.
Someone bringing a firearm to school with the intent to shoot other students SHOULD be a traumatic event that raises questions about the child, the school, the support system that failed, etc.
That you go "eh, NBD, nobody got hurt" is exactly what being desensitized means.

Celebrations in America don't count if you're not shooting a few people
I had a student who was chronically absent and who always had sob stories whenever he asked for an extension or a makeup test. Many of those stories usually involved him being at a party where a family member or sibling got shot. I think he needed to hang with a better class of people.

I had a student who was chronically absent and who always had sob stories whenever he asked for an extension or a makeup test. Many of those stories usually involved him being at a party where a family member or sibling got shot. I think he needed to hang with a better class of people.
"Just leave the area of violence" kinda has the same energy as Nancy Reagan saying "just say no" as a solution to drug problems. The situation usually isn't so simple.

"Don't spend time with your family, they're bad people" is certainly a response you could have to that, I guess.

I’m pretty sure he’s saying that he wants to say that because it happens frequently enough that he’s pretty confident that the student is making those shootings up to get out of assignments.

I’m pretty sure he’s saying that he wants to say that because it happens frequently enough that he’s pretty confident that the student is making those shootings up to get out of assignments.
Yes. I did my due diligence and checked the local news. Those shootings were made up. This student was a habitual schemer. All that time scheming and concocting fake sob stories could have been better spent writing the damn paper.