*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

http://abc7ny.com/5-dead-in-shooting-outside-pennsylvania-car-wash-/2999292/

5 dead in shooting outside car wash in Pennsylvania

Email

Updated 51 mins ago
MELCROFT, Pennsylvania --
State police say at least five people were killed in a shooting at a Pennsylvania car wash.

WPXI-TV reports the shooting occurred around 2:45 a.m. Sunday in Melcroft.

Melcroft is about 55 miles southeast of Pittsburgh

The victims were identified only as three men and two women. At least one other person was wounded and was taken to a hospital, but further details on that person's condition were not immediately released.

Authorities were trying to determine if the shooter was among those found at the scene.

A motive for the shooting remains under investigation.

I've not sounded the call to arms even once. This is like your fifth time doing so.
I think you've got it backwards. You're the one who's been insisting the gub'mint needs a gun to it's head. All I've been doing is pointing out not one of these incidents had anything to do with any "revolution," imagined or otherwise. Just more innocent men, women, and children on the pyre to Zardoz.

I don't know if I ever mentioned it, certainly not in this thread because it happened a year or two before it started, but I'd actually knew and worked with one of those mass shooters. Killed his ex-girlfriend's family, ran over a woman in another town, shot a guy in yet another, before getting pulled over and killing himself.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think you've got it backwards. You're the one who's been insisting the gub'mint needs a gun to it's head.
An armed populace is the final guarantor of liberty. But there's been no governmental action to necessitate calling in that last line of defense. So for you to lead off every post in this thread with "STILL NO REVOLUTION YET" is a bit intellectually dishonest.

An armed populace is the final guarantor of liberty. But there's been no governmental action to necessitate calling in that last line of defense. So for you to lead off every post in this thread with "STILL NO REVOLUTION YET" is a bit intellectually dishonest.
Eye of the beholder and all that.

If a Democratic candidate had been elected in a cloud of Russian interference, named half his family as his inner circle, and so on and so forth, I'm fairly sure the (extreme) Right would've been calling for literal armed revolution.
Both this and the Bush/Gore hanging tab thing are issues where there's a huge stink over the trustworthiness of the voting system. Combined with gerrymandering,voter suppression, etc etc and you really do get a "banana republic" vibe. Do votes even matter? Is the population actually getting represented? Eh, who cares, the "good" side is doing it so we don't react.

GasBandit

Staff member
Eye of the beholder and all that.

If a Democratic candidate had been elected in a cloud of Russian interference, named half his family as his inner circle, and so on and so forth, I'm fairly sure the (extreme) Right would've been calling for literal armed revolution.
Both this and the Bush/Gore hanging tab thing are issues where there's a huge stink over the trustworthiness of the voting system. Combined with gerrymandering,voter suppression, etc etc and you really do get a "banana republic" vibe. Do votes even matter? Is the population actually getting represented? Eh, who cares, the "good" side is doing it so we don't react.
Those are issues that, however difficult and time consuming, can still be addressed via the system. I'd prefer to hold armed resistance in reserve for actual direct acts against life, liberty, and property.

Yes, but I wasn't referring to you, personally. :p

Besides, a dictator rising to power through tampering with the elections and ignoring the will of the people, abusing the system to install cronies and make it impossible for other parties to win or even particiupate (to frame it that way - not claiming this is the reality as it is) - that's very much typically the thing one might consider the exact thing an armed revolution is for.

that's very much typically the thing one might consider the exact thing an armed revolution is for.
One of the things they tell you in the carry concealed classes is that you don’t get your gun out until and unless you know it is probably time to kill somebody, and you had better be able to justify your actions after the fact. If all you do is threaten someone with it, and you are not doing so for the express purpose of ensuring your safe exit from that situation, then all you will end up doing is to escalate that situation.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
If you read it, this really isn't your typical school shooting. She's being charged with negligent discharge (-heh-). It was an accident. Probably had an auto or semi-auto weapon and couldn't handle the recoil. It was accidental.

figmentPez

Staff member
If you read it, this really isn't your typical school shooting. She's being charged with negligent discharge (-heh-). It was an accident. Probably had an auto or semi-auto weapon and couldn't handle the recoil. It was accidental.
That's what she's being charged with, if that's what actually happened is another thing. Until they can tell us why a 12 year old girl brought a gun to shool and "accidentally" fired it so that 5 people were sent to the hospital, I'm not going to believe it.

That's what she's being charged with, if that's what actually happened is another thing. Until they can tell us why a 12 year old girl brought a gun to shool and "accidentally" fired it so that 5 people were sent to the hospital, I'm not going to believe it.
Well, there's still Hanlon's razor, and all that.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Yeah all the gun nuts are pointing and saying, "SEE?!?" like this proves anything about Australia's gun laws not working. Actually, it proves that their gun laws DO work as this is the first one they've had in like 22 years and the country is horrified.

Yeah all the gun nuts are pointing and saying, "SEE?!?" like this proves anything about Australia's gun laws not working. Actually, it proves that their gun laws DO work as this is the first one they've had in like 22 years and the country is horrified.
Hey now... every 20 years or every two months, what's the difference?

There was a family murder suicide that killed 4 in 2014, which prior to this, was the largest since 1996's Port Arthur Massacre.

Given the circumstances - it seems that 6 of the 7 victims were a grandmother, her daughter, and the daughter's four children - this might also be of the same variety.

figmentPez

Staff member
Here's a potential future shooter:

Little kid is playing with that gun like it's a toy. He even pulls the trigger, multiple times, and the adults around him give him high fives, and say it's "adorable". This is NOT okay.

Tons of replies on Twitter saying "He's just demonstrating that he knows how to clear the gun!" NO! He's not practicing proper gun safety. He's pulling the damn trigger! You do not pull the trigger on a gun unless it's pointed at something you're willing to shoot. No one involved with that video is practicing proper gun safety.

Here's a potential future shooter:

Little kid is playing with that gun like it's a toy. He even pulls the trigger, multiple times, and the adults around him give him high fives, and say it's "adorable". This is NOT okay.

Tons of replies on Twitter saying "He's just demonstrating that he knows how to clear the gun!" NO! He's not practicing proper gun safety. He's pulling the damn trigger! You do not pull the trigger on a gun unless it's pointed at something you're willing to shoot. No one involved with that video is practicing proper gun safety.
I was about his age when I first started learning about guns, and if I did what he was doing the adults around me would be livid.

Dave

Staff member
Good for that cop! Better than the Parkland one who froze but will get over $100K a year in retirement benefits anyway...

I actually wonder if the Parkland officer's situation entered his mind.
"If I stay here I'm going to be just as famous as that Parkland guy, and that would be shameful."

--Patrick

I still want to know the reason.
I mean, I know the reason was most likely, “I just got the idea into my head how thrilling it would be to murder a bunch of kids,” but there’s also that “I was mad about failing english classes” or “The lunch lady always looked at me all mean” or “I don’t want to go on living and I shouldn’t have to go out alone.”

—Patrick

Just to fill out the checklist:

It's too soon to politicize the issue, show some respect.

It's not domestic terrorism, it's a mentally ill lone wolf.

Hammers and cars are just as deadly as guns so you can't logically regulate them.