*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

Sorry that my side point overshadowed the conversation. My main point was that this is the anniversary of when the US saw someone shoot up an elementary school and kill 20 children and 6 others, and as a country we pretty much decided we were fine with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sorry that my side point overshadowed the conversation. My main point was that this is the anniversary of when the US saw someone shoot up an elementary school and kill 20 children and 6 others, and as a country we pretty much decided we were fine with it.
Except we didn't, you just define any reaction other than "ban all guns" as being fine with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
So... what exactly was done about it again?
Well, for one thing, since then we've discovered more of the sort of thing I've said about government all along. Remember how the church shooter's dishonorable discharge should have prevented him from buying a gun under current law, but the military didn't bother to report it to the FBI?

Well, turns out it's far from unique. The failure rate to report such things ranges from 14 to 41 percent depending on the branch. And the problem's been known about for decades but nobody does anything about it.

It's a good illustration of how well-meaning bureaucratic solutions usually don't improve things.

But meanwhile, private organizations have taken matters into their own hands, such as Sandy Hook Promise, carrying out a campaign of awareness and prevention action to get people more involved in identifying and addressing signs of potentially violent mental illness around them.[DOUBLEPOST=1513286132,1513286076][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thoughts and prayers.
The only thing more tedious than the thoughts and prayers posts is the parrot squawk of it among those who think they're making a point by saying it ironically. It's been beaten to death, guys.

They also made it harder to enter schools for parents, by locking all the entries to schools, but making all of the main entrances glass doors, at least by me.

:facepalm:

The only thing more tedious than the thoughts and prayers posts is the parrot squawk of it among those who think they're making a point by saying it ironically. It's been beaten to death, guys.
I think both are less tedious than the stream of mass shootings.

Well, for one thing, since then we've discovered more of the sort of thing I've said about government all along. Remember how the church shooter's dishonorable discharge should have prevented him from buying a gun under current law, but the military didn't bother to report it to the FBI?

Well, turns out it's far from unique. The failure rate to report such things ranges from 14 to 41 percent depending on the branch. And the problem's been known about for decades but nobody does anything about it.

It's a good illustration of how well-meaning bureaucratic solutions usually don't improve things.

But meanwhile, private organizations have taken matters into their own hands, such as Sandy Hook Promise, carrying out a campaign of awareness and prevention action to get people more involved in identifying and addressing signs of potentially violent mental illness around them.

fade

Staff member
Some of these "solutions" read like putting kids in a cage so we don't restrict anyone's freedom to wildly swing a sword around.

Mistake #1 is trying to get in a.weird of words with Gruebeard.

Edit: that was supposed to be war of words, but I feel both work.
The mistake was more on point, I'd say. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1513362071,1513361975][/DOUBLEPOST]
You also support not losing "minor" status until successfully passing a proficiency exam, no matter the person's age.

--Patrick
I'd keep flunking that test so I could sleep with 14 year old girls without breaking the law.

. . . is what Roy Moore would say.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuc...l-county-hs-students-shot-today-live-updates/

BENTON, Ky. -- Authorities say at least five people were shot Tuesday morning at a southwestern Kentucky high school. A suspect in the incident at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, has been apprehended, according to officials with Marshall County Emergency Management.

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin tweeted soon after the incident that at least one of the victims died as a result of the shooting, but said there is "much yet unknown" as first responders continue to operate at the school. Kentucky State Police have confirmed one dead.

Kentucky Rep. James Comer told CBSN the shooter in custody is a student.

It has been [39] days since our last incident.

--Patrick
https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data/2018

Except it kind of hasn't. Though to be fair, a lot of these are domestic violence, not random rampage killings.

DateLocationDeadInjuredShooter(s)News articles
01/21/2018 Chicago, IL 0 4
Unknown

01/19/2018 Calhoun Co., AL 4 0
Tony Parker (victims included perpetrator's 2 children)

01/18/2018 Harrisburg, PA 2 2
Kevin Sturgis (victims included 3 police officers)

01/17/2018 Washington, DC 1 3
Unknown

01/16/2018 York, SC 1 4
Unknown (victims included 4 police officers responding to domestic violence call)
15 01/15/2018 Alachua, FL 0 5
Unknown

14 01/14/2018 Madison, AL 0 4
Unknown

13 01/13/2018 Eutaw, AL 1 5
Unknown

12 01/13/2018 Charlotte, NC 0 5
John Ravon Butler

11 01/12/2018 Nashville, TN 3 2
Queshan Brooks (victims included perpetrator's stepmother & her two young boys

10 01/11/2018 St. Robert, MO 2 2
Unknown

9 01/08/2018 Galvaston, TX 4 0
Unknown (victims included woman's husband & 2 young sons)

8 01/07/2018 Union Springs, AL 0 5
Unknown

7 01/07/2018 Plantation, FL 0 4
Unknown

6 01/07/2018 Redding, CA 4 0
Unknown (domestic murder-suicide shooting)

5 01/05/2018 Santa Clarita, CA 4 0
Unknown (victims included gunmans wife & 2 young children)

4 01/05/2018 Hattiesburg, MS 0 6
Unknown

3 01/04/2018 Brinkley, AZ 1 3
James Frost

2 01/01/2018 Columbus, OH 2 2
Unknown (victims included infant that was delivered after mother died)

1 01/01/2018 Huntsville, AL 1 3
Unknown

It's too early to tell if this one is "random" or was due to the relationships of the people involved.

It's the random ones, the inexplicably insane ones, that capture the public eye.

When one person shoots another because they were jealous, or angry, etc with a specific person for specific reasons, the public loses interest, as the "mystery" has been "solved".[DOUBLEPOST=1516735361,1516735211][/DOUBLEPOST]Which makes sense - we feel unsafe when we can't explain (and thus can't protect ourselves from) random danger, but if we feel the danger was due to something within our power to understand and avoid, we file it away and move on with life.

3.8 billion years of natural selection is determining what we spend our time looking at online.

A 15-year-old boy shot 14 people Tuesday morning at southwestern Kentucky high school, Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin said. A 15-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl died.

Five others suffered non-gunshot injuries, the governor said. The suspect in the incident at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, has been apprehended, according to officials with Marshall County Emergency Management. It was the nation's first fatal school shooting of 2018.

Kentucky State Police Commissioner Richard Sanders said during a press conference Tuesday afternoon that the suspect, a student, entered the school at 7:57 a.m. and soon opened fire with a handgun. Sanders said the first 911 call came in two minutes later, and police were on scene by 8:06 a.m.