*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

I think that's called being human. This isn't meant to sound snarky, compassion can be hard to convey over text
I wouldn't have taken it as snarky. It's just...god, the irony of it is that some of them were church-goers. And...so many of them were partners who were both killed. And parents. They were just regular, loving people who were enjoying a night out. I mean, I always knew that, but to put a name, face, and a little bio to each of them? It's heartbreaking.

Dave

Staff member
Again, taking an entire person and funneling everything they are down to one defining characteristic and then demonizing that based on some ancient text is just wrong. It ignores everything about them in the name of expedience ad hatred. The worst part is that he knew these people as well, so h damn well knew there was more to them. And that to me makes this even more evil than had it been jut a religious crusade. You can't even play the ignorance card on this one.

I'm reading the bomb squad used a bomb to take out a shooter... a robot with a bomb. Is there precedent for that? I guess it makes sense, but in my mind the Bomb Squad was only for deactivation/controlled detonation as deactivation and not like.... actual bombers. Damn.

I'm reading the bomb squad used a bomb to take out a shooter... a robot with a bomb. Is there precedent for that? I guess it makes sense, but in my mind the Bomb Squad was only for deactivation/controlled detonation as deactivation and not like.... actual bombers. Damn.
Bomb squads use bombs all the time. One of the best ways to force detonation of an unknown device is to blow it up with a controlled explosion.

Bomb squads use bombs all the time. One of the best ways to force detonation of an unknown device is to blow it up with a controlled explosion.
Yes, that I know, hence me using "controlled detonation as deactivation". Has a bomb squad bomb actually been used exclusively against a soft human target before, though?

Yes, that I know, hence me using "controlled detonation as deactivation". Has a bomb squad bomb actually been used exclusively against a soft human target before, though?
Not in the USA that I've ever heard of. We are really good at drone striking weddings and hospitals in the middle east, though

My question is why they didn't just use CS gas canisters instead.
I don't think riot gas immediately disables someone. Also, if the reports about military training/equipment pan out (I might be reading outdated information here?), working gas masks are not that hard to get. If they were unable to verify whether he was bluffing about explosives, one controlled explosion vs. zero-to-many uncontrolled ones might've been the safe bet.

Yes, that is an IED. From what I heard on the news early on, he claimed to have a bomb on him, and bombs all over town.
Bombs all over town that could have been dead-man switch rigged, no?

I'm not criticizing the bombing of the fucker itself, I understand it was probably the safest way to take out a threat that wasn't willing to negotiate or stand down... but I do worry about the precedent this might be setting. This was for all intents and purposes a drone killing an American citizen in American soil. It's.. interesting, to say the least.

If they could have taken him out with a bullet, they would have, and no one would be questioning if they should have or not given that he was still an active threat.

The nice thing about a large explosion, though, is that most remote bombs use signalling that takes time to send. If he was using a dead man's switch method (ie, if he dies the bombs go off, usually because he lets go of a button or falls off a pressure plate or similar) then a bullet would end up triggering the claimed bomb(s).

However, a large explosion would likely damage any dead man's switch and electronics enough, and quickly enough, that a signal wouldn't be sent.

Of course a determined bomber could build a robust dead man's switch, but the vast majority of bombers use simple, improvised methods and don't go to the trouble of a more robust method.

So an explosion might simply have been a better option for killing someone claiming to have bombs around the city they could set off remotely.

While it's not hard to make something that will go "boom", making something stable, sophisticated, hard to detect, with redundancies, is a LOT more complicated.

If your definition of mass shooting is four or more people shot, then yes, mass shootings happen daily. In 2015 there were some 375 mass shootings in the US.

GasBandit

Staff member
If your definition of mass shooting is four or more people shot, then yes, mass shootings happen daily. In 2015 there were some 375 mass shootings in the US.
Where'd you get that figure, out of curiosity?

When I go looking for mass shooting statistics, I usually don't find them that recent. The ones I do find show that the number of mass shootings was around 20/year from the 80s through 2010.

It seems there's still disagreement on the classification of a mass shooting that means that number could be as high as 375 or as low as 4.

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/4/9849390/mass-shootings-count

I don't recall. Did a quick google search, didn't even click through anything - just found that there's one possible perspective that suggests more than one mass shooting a day, to make the point. Here's one source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...e1fb3c-bec0-11e5-98c8-7fab78677d51_video.html[DOUBLEPOST=1468422354,1468421993][/DOUBLEPOST]But mass shootings make up such a small percentage of homocides I'm not sure we should even be focusing so much on them. There was a weekend in Chicago in May where 50 people were killed (not all by firearm). Just one weekend. If it has been one person or a small group doing it then it would have made national news, but since it was many different people committing many different murders it was only reported on because it demonstrated the 50+% increase in homocides in Chicago recently.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...eekend-shootings-violence-20160509-story.html

When I go looking for mass shooting statistics, I usually don't find them that recent. The ones I do find show that the number of mass shootings was around 20/year from the 80s through 2010.

It seems there's still disagreement on the classification of a mass shooting that means that number could be as high as 375 or as low as 4.

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/4/9849390/mass-shootings-count
This has been discussed before. Mass Shooting Tracker counts incidents, where four or more people have been killed or injured, including the shooter, as a mass shooting. The FBI official statistics (which are the only ones available that go back more than a few years) only count incidents in which 4 or more people, excluding the shooter, are killed, as mass shootings. So the historical number of mass shootings is not readily available for comparison.

I'm amused that #25 on that list has fewer murders (none) than MacAllen, Texas, the city ranked below it as safer. Also, with 6 murders, MacAllen had a murder rate in 2014 that was higher than NYC's was in 2012.

Stats are weird.