*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

Strike that and reverse it. The characters in the book had clear motivations. The movie was just a jumble of pretty scenes, lacking the depth of the comic.
Not to mention the movie plot would fall apart almost instantly, best case every nation would hold the United States responsible as it was supposedly their highly publicized government figure destroying the cities. And all the destruction happened at the site of large reactors created by ozymandias and Dr Manhattan, to create energy in the same way as the naked blue guy. For a movie that was already incredibly dumbed down, Zack Snyder found a new level of stupid for the ending.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not to mention the movie plot would fall apart almost instantly, best case every nation would hold the United States responsible as it was supposedly their highly publicized government figure destroying the cities. And all the destruction happened at the site of large reactors created by ozymandias and Dr Manhattan, to create energy in the same way as the naked blue guy. For a movie that was already incredibly dumbed down, Zack Snyder found a new level of stupid for the ending.
No stupider than SUDDENLY ALIENS.

There were dozens of references throughout the book that he was building artificial life. Hell there was even a drawing of one of the critters half way through the book.

re; @ThatGrinningIdiot! gun control is useless because our culture is already too poisoned. No one fucking blinked a goddamn eye when 20 elementary school kids got shot in the head. a sitting member of Congress got shot in the head at a public rally. Literally no matter what happened at an NRA Convention that you could ever dream of, they would spin it as a victory, white men all over america would cause a run on ammo, gun sales would triple, hail satan. this is from the sandy hook wikipedia:

On January 16, 2013, New York became the first U.S. state to act after the shooting when it enacted the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act.[182] On April 4, 2013, Connecticut and Maryland both enacted new restrictions to their existing gun laws.[183][184] Ten other states had passed laws that relaxed gun restrictions.[185]
read that bold part like 5 or 6 times whenever you are worried OBUMMER'S GONNA TAKE MY GUNZ. you won. it's up to the aliens that find our burned out husk to go "smh", or at least our children's children's children's children if we're REALLY lucky.

also re: gun free zones, almost every public space where a lot of people gather is a gun-free zone, and this saves lives because it stops bystanders (good patriots) from firing off wildly and A) hitting more innocent people or B) making the police's job more difficult. I highly doubt anyone planning a massacre said "oh, I'll be sure to attack a gun free zone!", they just went after where the most people are (Aurora), or after specific people/those that "wronged" them (Isla Vista).

Three shootings here this morning. One just a couple streets down the hill from my house. May or may not be related. All county schools on lockdown. Even the ones at the opposite end of the county, 20-some miles away.

Four dead. One of the shootings was at a garage just down the hill from me. Suspect works for a rival towing company.

[ETA: Suspect posted a Facebook rant. Domestic dispute taken to sad extremes. He's also apparently going after rival towing companies. Doesn't expect to live through this. Search ongoing as of 3:10 EST.]

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
It's a hit on rival towing companies?!? What the fuck?

That's like Wal*Mart having a raid on K*Mart.

I kind of regret my use of the word "feral" above. I don't like doing the counting up who's what. But I am just making the point that he took the teachings of Fox News to their logical conclusion. I don't think left-wing politics had anything to do with Aurora, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, etc. But Eliot Rodger was definitely informed by the rampant misogyny that is part and parcel of the patriarchy that Republicans thrive under.

edit: oh, and of course Jared Loughner

GasBandit

Staff member
The only thing political about Eliot Rodger was the after-the-fact politicization of the killings where a father of one of the victims tried to blame the NRA for the actions of someone who even close relations describe as being "broken since conception."

In fact, the Isla Vista killings illustrate painfully well how gun control absolutely fails to stop a determined killer. Rodger's guns were registered and purchased legally in one of the hardest states to do so, and the police didn't even bother checking the registry. Additionally, the police had advanced warning from the shooter's parents and still it happened. Meanwhile, Rodgers had originally planned to commit his crimes on Halloween, but decided to change the day because too many armed policemen being out and about on that particular day might hamper him - and he considered only other people with guns to be any obstacle to his plan.

Eliot Rodger stuff
eh, I'd venture that right wing politics, especially the "war on women" (don't like that term though), help reinforce the patriarchy and the idea that women are something (THING, not a person) to be owned by men and something to be "won", which GREATLY influenced Rodger's killing spree.

And I agree, toothless gun control that still lets people purchase guns legally isn't enough. ;)

Also, not to cross-pollinate the threads too much, but I somehow doubt he would have been treated the same way by police and the reports and what not if he were poor and lived in a different zip code of Southern California. Like, oh, Compton maybe.

GasBandit

Staff member
eh, I'd venture that right wing politics, especially the "war on women" (don't like that term though), help reinforce the patriarchy and the idea that women are something (THING, not a person) to be owned by men and something to be "won", which GREATLY influenced Rodger's killing spree.
To put it gently as possible, that is quite a stretch. Quite.

And I agree, toothless gun control that still lets people purchase guns legally isn't enough. ;)
You will never realistically have complete gun prohibition, and even if it were instituted, there's still far too much available now to deny it to the criminal element. So any assertion to its validity is mere wishful thinking and fallacy.

Also, not to cross-pollinate the threads too much, but I somehow doubt he would have been treated the same way by police and the reports and what not if he were poor and lived in a different zip code of Southern California. Like, oh, Compton maybe.
I'm pretty sure most cops would not take race into account when someone calls in a shooting about to happen.

Update from here. Morgantown shooting suspect found dead of self-inflicted gunshot wound. Five dead, including him. This was a family issue gone horribly wrong. The going after rival towing companies was secondary to that, if not immediately related to the first issue.

The towing company where one of the shootings occurred is just a couple blocks from my house. I drive past it daily. Didn't know the guy who was shot, though.

(EDIT: I didn't hear anything, but apparently I was going by about the time the first 911 call was received.)

Last edited:
(warning: link I'm posting has auto-starting video ad with no controls. Adblock Plus and Ghostery have no effect. :()

The shooter here had a lengthy criminal history, with multiple felony convictions. No way in hell should he have had a gun.

I was making a sly reference to how "thug" is a really common dogwhistle for "nigger" in these conversations. Not meaning to call you a racist! Just a reference to that word kind of changing.

nor noticed anyone else using it as a code word.
then you really haven't been paying attention to white people talking about race in the last ~3 years. But I don't blame you, white people have literally nothing to add to the discussion and should probably shut the fuck up, but I'm not perfect

plz quote this post in the thread about mass violence committed by police officers, not the thread about mass violence committed by civilians, thanks.

Let's focus on the real issue of the moment, which isn't Charlie being racist for the umpteenth time, but a guy with multiple felony convictions, including firearm-related ones *after* he had served time for previous felonies, was not only in possession of a firearm, but was on the call list to respond to accidents in the county with his wrecker.

Charlie is right though. Whether you agree with it or not the idea of "thug" to meaning black person has become a thing. Look up the controversy about Richard Sherman from last January. There was a lot of discussion about that.

Dave

Staff member
Charlie is right though. Whether you agree with it or not the idea of "thug" to meaning black person has become a thing. Look up the controversy about Richard Sherman from last January. There was a lot of discussion about that.
Yup. It's why I go out of my specifically to call white thugs thugs. If you go through media or *goodness forbid* comments, you'll see that thug is used almost exclusively for black men.

Charlie is spot on with that observation, whether it's a comfortable one or not.[DOUBLEPOST=1417629760,1417629711][/DOUBLEPOST]http://gawker.com/how-richard-sherman-became-americas-newest-thug-1505228178[DOUBLEPOST=1417629771][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry to link a Gawker post.

Dave

Staff member
In fact, the Sherman thing is what stopped me from using it. I realized I was doing exactly what he was saying in calling only black men thugs. I don't think I'm racist and try very hard to be as inclusive as I can, but I fell into that trap until it was pointed out during this whole affair.

Sometimes even old dogs learn new tricks.