'Sexy' stuff that just comes off as...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I'm well aware it's much more an issue with women than it is for men, but complaining about objectified women in comics is like complaining there aren't enough naked women in Playgirl.
The objectification of women in comics isn't JUST a comics issue, but a pervasive social view in all forms of media. Fuck, it's not even that it's women facing most of the objectification. It's that there is objectification period.

Also, it's an entirely different situation when musclebound guys wear tight or revealing attire than it is when women do the same, because when men do it it's still playing into male fantasy (in this case a power fantasy, not a sexual one). A silly costume doesn't change the fact that those guys are still built like they could lay out a dude just by slapping him.

I'm so bummed because I have the perfect gif in my head as a response to this. But when I looked, I couldn't find this gif - I don't think it exists. And since I'm at work, I can't make it happen. :( Just know that I agree with this.
I know what gif you're talking about, and I too couldn't find it. I did find the original page.

3553.jpg

Nearly every comic book hero is sexually objectified. Even Supes, Bats, and Spidey are basically drawn naked, and then just colored to look like they have clothes on...
Nope. Besides Ashburner's post dealing with this, I recommend reading the article that originated the comments on which originated those drawings:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/02/21/she-has-no-head-no-its-not-equal/

Really the costumes are only symptomatic. Tha latest wonder woman comic is an excellent example (as pointed in that article). She has the somewhat ridiculous costume (just like men, if you want to see it that way), but no ridiculous anatomy or sexual objectification. She comes off as a strong character type, not an inflatable doll on aventures to save the world.[DOUBLEPOST=1348845688][/DOUBLEPOST]I know I'm sooo late here. Sorree:oops:

There's alot I want to say here but between work and phone calls I'm a bit stuck so I'll just simplify it.

I disagree with Ash/Tegid on my previous statement and it's just that simple. You see objectifying of the opposite sex depending on the outlet. IE: Comics = Women (The majority of the clients are straight male) and Romance Novels = Men (Majority of the clients are straight women)

GasBandit

Staff member
From that same site - not sexy but still rofl

estifi:
So my friend was talking about the Chanukah episode of Rugrats today… so I decided to watch it.
I saw this, and decided to look up what מוהל meant.
It’s a circumcizer… someone who performs circumcisions… and apparently this one offers them at a “cut rate”…..​
OH MY GOD

Imagine of male superheros' penises were accentuated the same way that women's boobs were in comics. I think then people would understand how ridiculous the disparity is.

Imagine of male superheros' penises were accentuated the same way that women's boobs were in comics. I think then people would understand how ridiculous the disparity is.
I just imagined a male superhero having a "crotch window" analogous to Power Girl's outfit.

I don't think that's really an accurate comparison, but we can both agree it's overboard.

I really don't see it much different than women having their tits hanging out.
There's a bit of a difference between genitals and tits.

I see the equivalent of a woman showing cleavage as a guy showing off his abs. They get the same reactions from both parties (That's so hot! Just a little bit more!)

There's a bit of a difference between genitals and tits.

I see the equivalent of a woman showing cleavage as a guy showing off his abs. They get the same reactions from both parties (That's so hot! Just a little bit more!)
Yeah, I hate when comics objectify men.

Yeah, I hate when comics objectify men.
Comics objectify everyone. But due to a long history of juvenile artists and writers, the objectification of women in comics is much more blatant, especially contrasted against the lack of strong (or even well written) female characters.

Here's a good cosplay example of how stupid a man looks in the same pose and costume Black Widow is usually portayed with.

capwidowcrossplay.jpg

The best look at what it would be if the situation was reversed is the guy who cross-plays Power Girl. He has it spot on how it would be if the gender roles were reversed.

(found a pic)
cosplay-superman-powergirl-crossplay.jpg

The best look at what it would be if the situation was reversed is the guy who cross-plays Power Girl. He has it spot on how it would be if the gender roles were reversed.

(found a pic)
View attachment 9142
Exactly, he's showing off his abs as Power Girl shows off her cleavage.

HowDroll - I never said they didn't objectify women/poses are stupid for women characters in comics, I'm denying that: Cleavage = Dick lines

It's:
Cleavage = Abs
Camel Toe = Cock Bump

Now imagine that all male superheroes had costumes like that, and they were constantly in poses that thrust their crotch or ass at the reader. That's pretty much what it's like for women being represented in comics.

Now imagine that all male superheroes had costumes like that, and they were constantly in poses that thrust their crotch or ass at the reader. That's pretty much what it's like for women being represented in comics.
Again, I'm not arguing that women are not objectified in their poses or costumes. I agree with that. Just don't equvilate Cleavage as extremely as you do.

It's also an issue that's become more pronounced as time has gone on. Even Emma frost's original costume is absolutely puritan compared to what she now wears.

Let's take a look at Psylocke:

Original costume:
Psylocke_001.gif

Current costume:
200px-Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_510_Variant_Textless.jpg

Or Rogue

Original Costume:

rogue-bigcostume1.jpg

Current costume:
rogue_x__men_by_zavalaluiz51-d570u69.jpg

I would venture to suggest boobs are more sexualized body parts than abs.

But, really, I think debating this is basically splitting hairs.

There's no real defending it. Comic creators just seem to know who their main audience is now, the same people they are, sad adult males.

I would venture to suggest boobs are more sexualized body parts than abs.

But, really, I think debating this is basically splitting hairs.
Boobs yes. Cleavage no.

Bowielee - Yep. Sucks. Some guys have the same issue with costumes. Nowhere near as much as women, but it exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.