'Sexy' stuff that just comes off as...

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't think hatred has to be explicit to be hatred, nor do I think it has to be on some grand level either. If someone can't stand to have a pickle even sitting on their plate at some point, they hate pickles. They don't have to think pickles killed their baby sister, they have an extreme aversion and that is hate. As to being explicit, someone can deny hating something while still holding hatred. Say someone says "Oh, I don't hate dogs, I just can't stand the way they walk around on all fours, and how they poop on the ground, and just a single bark drives me nuts." Yeah, they don't mind dogs at all as long as they walk on two legs, never poop and never bark, they're fine with dogs that don't act like dogs. It doesn't matter how much they deny it, or what absurd qualifiers they make, if they can't stand to be around dogs acting like normal dogs, then they hate dogs.

fade

Staff member
Well, I don't think an artist needs an extreme aversion to women to draw them as sexualized. Though I am very confused by the juxtaposition of an "extreme" aversion and not on a grand level. Your dog example is still explicit to me. Because they're still intentionally and knowingly expressing dislike. It's just with conditions. I don't think that figures into these artists. They're showing ignorance and lack of consideration for another's feelings (which is still bad), not dislike. I can easily imagine an artist who treats absolutely every woman in his life with respect, but then draws his characters as pinups because he's a) drawing what he finds sexually attractive without considering the social impact of it, and b) because it's a fictional character he created out of ink and paper, and not connected in his mind to a real woman--especially not the way it might be to a female reader. This is not, of course to condone his actions, just to explain them.

I can pull an anecdotal piece of evidence from my own life. I certainly don't hate women. But I never considered even once that the use of "he" as the genderless pronoun would come across to women readers as offensive, as if the author was not talking to them. I was ignorant of the situation, and I was perpetuating it. But my wife explained it to me, it made perfect sense, and I fixed it. Didn't change my attitude toward women, because I didn't do it originally out of hate.[DOUBLEPOST=1354573842][/DOUBLEPOST]Let me be clear once again, because I have enough experience with HF now. This is mostly a semantic argument over the word "hate". I don't want to hijack, because the examples are what they're supposed to show. No argument there, and it's a good thing to bring to light.

Let me be clear once again, because I have enough experience with HF now. This is mostly a semantic argument over the word "hate". I don't want to hijack, because the examples are what they're supposed to show. No argument there, and it's a good thing to bring to light.

This is my position too and I think I'll just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.