Romney - the big spending, Pro-Abortion, anti-gun, pro same-sex marriage candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd just like to go on the record and say some of us were pointing this out long ago.

But the answer to your question? Because the only other alternative is 4 more years of Obama. And while conservatives were happy to "punish" republicans for sucking at conservatism in 2006, they changed their mind by 2010.

*edit - and after Herman Cain got out, it was either this, or Newt Gingrich or (gurk) Rick Santorum. How quickly we forget.

One thing is for certain, if Romney wins in November, it won't be because anybody voted for him. If the election becomes about Romney, he's sure to lose. If they can keep the narrative focused on Obama, he stands a chance (note, I did not say "will win," I said stands a chance).

In any case, I'm still sticking to my bullheaded, stubborn protest-vote. I vote the Libertarian straight party ticket. The country may burn down around me, but I will be able to say I was one of the few ones not trying to put out the fire with rubbing alcohol.

Necronic

Staff member
The only real alternative was Rick Santorum. And either there are still people with sanity in the Republican party or they are big whimps who thought it would be easier with Romney.

If the election becomes about Romney, he's sure to lose. If they can keep the narrative focused on Obama, he stands a chance (note, I did not say "will win," I said stands a chance).
At this point, I think they've already lost this battle. Romney's refusal to release his tax records, to talk about his off shore accounts, or to give a coherent, justifiable answer for his actions/involvement with Bain Capital have basically compromised his position and now everyone's eyes are on him. He can't double down or he's going to have the same problem Obama had/has with his birth certificate and he doesn't have the luxury of ignoring the issue with the election less than 4 months away.

He needs to resolve this issue NOW, while he still has time to spin any revelations.

Does he? Everyone who is republican only has 2 choices. Vote for him or don't vote. And here's the secret, they hate Obama more than Romney.
WV will probably go to Romney in a landslide, thanks to the propaganda from the coal companies. You know, the ones who replaced you all with Mexicans, but still have you convinced it's Obama that took all yer jerbs!

Does he? Everyone who is republican only has 2 choices. Vote for him or don't vote. And here's the secret, they hate Obama more than Romney.
Except he doesn't NEED to appeal to Republicans. They were going to vote for him regardless or just not vote at all. What Romney needs to win are moderates and independents... you know, the people who came out and voted for Obama in record numbers. Those people are looking at his inability to give serious answers about his past business work and are starting to wonder if they'd be supporting the exact kind of person that ruined the economy in the first place.

GasBandit

Staff member
Except he doesn't NEED to appeal to Republicans. They were going to vote for him regardless or just not vote at all. What Romney needs to win are moderates and independents... you know, the people who came out and voted for Obama in record numbers. Those people are looking at his inability to give serious answers about his past business work and are starting to wonder if they'd be supporting the exact kind of person that ruined the economy in the first place.
Ironically, that's why all the high party intellectuals pushed for Romney so hard - he was supposed to be a magnet for the windsocks in the center, being a new england RINO himself. It never works.

And yet, for some perspective, despite all his obvious, obvious flaws, Romney is still in a dead heat in the polls with Obama. And you can hear the panic setting in because of it.

Necronic

Staff member
I don't think that many moderates are surprised, or even care, about his past work or his tax records. Those are liberal issues. No other candidate has been asked to release his tax records like this, so it strikes me as unnecessary. And as for his outsourcing, well, what do you want. He was a capitalist businessman making profitable and legal choices.

I would be more concerned if he didn't do it. I don't think there's even a real argument here, and it bothers me to see the Obama campaign pandering on these talking points. It does nothing for the moderate.

ITT: People who are as far from moderate as you can get make assumptions about moderates. Hilarity ensues.

I don't think that many moderates are surprised, or even care, about his past work or his tax records. Those are liberal issues. No other candidate has been asked to release his tax records like this, so it strikes me as unnecessary. And as for his outsourcing, well, what do you want. He was a capitalist businessman making profitable and legal choices.

I would be more concerned if he didn't do it. I don't think there's even a real argument here, and it bothers me to see the Obama campaign pandering on these talking points. It does nothing for the moderate.
Yes but how do you explain the fact that he had a job, huh? Greedy bastard, that's what he is.

Necronic

Staff member
Honestly, anyone who is blown away by Romney's practices needs to really take a long hard look at their assumptions. I don't see any of his practices at Bain Capital as being remotely similar to those of say, Goldman Sachs (scumbags extroadanaire). I think a lot of people have veneer thin understanding of ethical business practices and capitalism and assume that just because someone is making money, or just because someone gets hurt, that the dude is a scumbag.

I mean....we're talking about a Steel mill in the 90s ffs. One of the only ones left in the US. That they breathed another decade of life into after rescuing it from an imminent demise. I am simply amazed that they kept it running as long as they did, considering.

I need to stop watching so much fucking CNN. Been trying to keep tabs on the wildfires (because of relatives that live in those regions) and I've been absorbing asinine political bullshit in the process.

GasBandit

Staff member
Word on the street is Romney's close to naming his running mate. Scuttlebutt says neither Chris Christie nor Marco Rubio are under consideration, Christie is apparently unpleasant to deal with and "isn't as conservative as people think" (oh the IRONY), and they're worried that Rubio would get character assassinated even worse than Palin was, because there's nothing that the left, especially the media, hates and fears more than a republican minority.

GasBandit

Staff member
Again, the only name I recognize from that list is Pawlenty. So really, it's no one of consequence.
Ehh, you should recognize the name of Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal. He's been in the spotlight a few times, particularly around the last election. That said, he's kinda... Diet Santorum.

Status
Not open for further replies.