Romney - the big spending, Pro-Abortion, anti-gun, pro same-sex marriage candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the fuck can Republicans vote for this guy? Besides being stupid as fuck and buying everything they are being spoon-fed by the Koch brothers?
I'm late to the party but I'll state the obvious: Because politics is less and less about ideology and more and more about your team winning.

Zappit

Staff member
The man is pretty much the absolute proof of evolution and natural selection. He changed all of his stances to survive in the Republican party, made it to the top, and would grow a third arm out of his ass just to insincerely shake a few more hands.

Zappit

Staff member
Lesse...Obama can highlight Ryan's devotion to Ayn Rand, (quite possibly the most selfish person in literary history) how his type of politics resulted in a recall effort in his home state, the mess that is Wisconsin, that giant middle finger to the middle and lower classes that was the Ryan budget...oh, the Dems will be spoilt for choice.

Can't say I'm surprised with the choice. The GOP can never seem to differentiate fame and infamy within their own party. A name is big name if people have heard of it. Hell, they could nominate a financial parasite who gutted businesses, wiped out pensions, hid money overseas, refuses to release his tax returns for fear of how damaging that would be, and was an early champion of outsourcing, all the while claiming to be a champion of the American worker. Oh, wait...they nominated just such a douchebag, didn't they?

God help us all if this country is foolish enough to appoint Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham to lead us.

I estimate for every conservative that decides Paul Ryan is just what they needed to vote for Romney, there are at least two independents/moderates who just went "Oh fuck no" in their heads.

Just saw this sign while driving around my State:
obama_gay_marriage_abortion_billboard.jpg

I just can't help but think it will have the opposite of the intended effect.

--Patrick

Just saw this sign while driving around my State:
View attachment 7655
I just can't help but think it will have the opposite of the intended effect.

--Patrick
At least they're pretty honest about not caring about the vote of a large percentage of the population. I don't care who the other side would be, if you think "he supports gay marriage so don't vote for him" is a sensible position, I'm not voting for you.

At least they're pretty honest about not caring about the vote of a large percentage of the population. I don't care who the other side would be, if you think "he supports gay marriage so don't vote for him" is a sensible position, I'm not voting for you.
Well, out of curiosity, I read up on some Gallup polls and as of May 2012

50% considered themselves Pro-life vs 41% pro-choice and 50% Pro-Gay marriage, 48% against

So in terms of numbers, it's not a platform that would not necessary hurt, and independent numbers are largely divided as well.

No other candidate has been asked to release his tax records like this, so it strikes me as unnecessary.
This is incorrect, they all release them. And not just those running president either. What makes this even funnier is that Romney's father is the one who started the practice of releasing their tax records when running for public office. Romney breaking what has been the standard for decades (thanks to his father) is why people are paying attention. The only possible reason for refusing to release them is that he has something to hide. As to what we can only speculate. Popular guesses are:

• He is paying a ridiculously low amount of tax.
  • He has cheated on his taxes.
  • He is tithing less than 10% (apparently a big whoops if you're a Mormon).
  • He has earned income from something a good Republican should never be involved in.
  • All of the above.

I don't understand how someone can think the Presidency should hinge on whose pecker is most potent.

Especially if they don't then go on to praise Clinton.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
This is incorrect, they all release them.

And so did Romney. The point isn't that he refuses to give tax records, but that he only gave two years. Which isn't that abnormal.

Carter - 1 year
Reagan - 1 year
Kerry - 20 years, BUT he only released a partial return of 1 year for his wife, which is where all the wealth was.
McCain - 2 year
Obama - 12 years

Note that the number isn't that abnormal. Moreover note that the only candidate who had wealth similar to Romney's, Kerry, gave EVEN LESS in their tax return.

So no, it's not incorrect. There is no standard for this. And he's not that far off of other presidents.

Cajungal

Staff member
My female relatives have been posting about how classy Ann Romney is. So I checked out her speech. Why are people fawning over this fluff?! Oh, because she's pandering to the people who won't have any rights under Romney's thumb. God save us...

I love how they say things like:
I will fight to defend the institution of marriage. Instead of: I will never allow gays to marry as long as I'm president.
I will fight to save the life of the unborn. Instead of: I will fight to save the life of the unborn even if it kills the living.
I will save the economy by creating 12 million new jobs. Instead of: I will create 12 million new jobs by doing etc etc etc

Romney's entire speech was full of nothing and hidden put-downs.

I did like the part of the Clint speech about Democrats not being the enemy... then he started talking to the chair, man that was painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.