[Gaming] RimWorld

Dave

Staff member
And when hunting your characters stay as far away as possible from the prey. So you get instances where the guy is standing a mile and a half away plugging away at a sleeping squirrel until he gets so tired or hungry he has to go rest.

And when hunting your characters stay as far away as possible from the prey. So you get instances where the guy is standing a mile and a half away plugging away at a sleeping squirrel until he gets so tired or hungry he has to go rest.
This is why I do practically all my hunting via drafting.

Another thing I learned last night - shot accuracy calculations actually completely ignore your weapon's visual "cone of fire." Sure, every shot from your weapon gets less accurate the greater the distance, but it isn't analogous to the observed path of placement variance at maximum range. Even at point blank range, it is possible to "miss" by an entire tile or more, meaning that you can potentially watch as a bullet exits the tip of your assault rifle's barrel at a 60 degree angle and strikes a wall to your left instead of the animal one tile in front of you.

:facepalm:
Yep. Still in Alpha. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
That's often preferable, though. Every shot you take gets you the same shooting skill experience regardless of if it hits or misses, so plinking away from maximum range ensures maximum skill gain per hunting session. Furthermore, if you're hunting a wolf or a bear or a megasloth instead of a squirrel, you want as much range as possible, because if it decides to attack you the first time you hit it, you want as much room between it and you for more shots before you have to switch to melee.

GasBandit

Staff member
@Dave - or anyone else -

If you want to try the Zombie Apocalypse mod that got yanked off the workshop, turns out I still have the files. Just put the contents of this zip in their own folder inside steamapps/common/rimworld/mods, and it should work for you... SHOULD.

Attachments

GasBandit

Staff member
Any reason why it was yanked? Estate of Romero got legal or something?

--Patrick
Apparently the original author had stopped updating back in A15 or something, and somebody new took on its mainenance and updated it for A16, and now A17. Then, near as I can figure, there was some kind of drama or something between the various contributors - the original author didn't COME BACK but for some reason the person in charge of the new "updated" version disabled it on the workshop.

But I'd already downloaded it before then.

Did a "start with nothing" scenario that I edited up. While slow going and being at the mercy of the RNG, it was pretty fun. I didn't make it very far, ended up getting a wound infected after a hunting trip and died in a med bed. A prisoner that I had captured starved to death days later. No heal root on the map at all and didn't tend to myself as fast as I should have. Ah well, next time.

Dave

Staff member
I did a game last night that I thought would be fun. I started it with three people on hard difficulty but instead of building a base I put it on God Mode and built it all up.

For those who don't know, God Mode allows you to build anything instantly. It does NOT stop your characters from dying - I'll come to that in a bit.

So the idea was that these people crash landed right by an already established base, complete with every type of production table, a hydroponics farm, full hospital with health monitors, everything. So my 3 people basically crash landed into an abandoned city.

They didn't last to winter.

As Gas said, the game determines the challenge by how rich the group is. And with this base, the game thought they were loaded. So it threw the kitchen sink at them. Meanwhile, they had no armor and only basic weapons. Two pistols and a knife, actually. I had turrets up but it did no good. But we did find out what had to have happened to the last group to inhabit the base.

GasBandit

Staff member
I did a game last night that I thought would be fun. I started it with three people on hard difficulty but instead of building a base I put it on God Mode and built it all up.

For those who don't know, God Mode allows you to build anything instantly. It does NOT stop your characters from dying - I'll come to that in a bit.

So the idea was that these people crash landed right by an already established base, complete with every type of production table, a hydroponics farm, full hospital with health monitors, everything. So my 3 people basically crash landed into an abandoned city.

They didn't last to winter.

As Gas said, the game determines the challenge by how rich the group is. And with this base, the game thought they were loaded. So it threw the kitchen sink at them. Meanwhile, they had no armor and only basic weapons. Two pistols and a knife, actually. I had turrets up but it did no good. But we did find out what had to have happened to the last group to inhabit the base.
Here's a fun tip - if the absolute worst comes to worst, you can attempt to have your colonists flee to the hills by going to the world map and ordering a caravan consisting only of the colonists and nothing else (it will complain about their lack of food). Then you can walk a space or two away, and found a new colony. The wealth calculations for events are on a per-location basis, so your "new" area won't get assrammed like your developed area is.

Now, granted, that's basically the same as starting a new game, just with a lot more extra steps and less starting materials... but it's handy to know that if you need to bug out, there's a way to do it. And nothing says you can't come back, later, after the raiders get bored and wander off... but chances are they'll have destroyed much of your base by then.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Here's a fun tip - if the absolute worst comes to worst, you can attempt to have your colonists flee to the hills by going to the world map and ordering a caravan consisting only of the colonists and nothing else (it will complain about their lack of food). Then you can walk a space or two away, and found a new colony. The wealth calculations for events are on a per-location basis, so your "new" area won't get assrammed like your developed area is.

Now, granted, that's basically the same as starting a new game, just with a lot more extra steps and less starting materials... but it's handy to know that if you need to bug out, there's a way to do it.
Nah. This was just an experiment so I could see what some of the upper level things were like since I haven't ever gotten that far. I just didn't expect fire & fury.

Dave

Staff member
One of my guys is gay. That's no big deal, but I have another female colonist who doesn't want to take no for an answer. Every time she gets rebuffed she goes on a drinking binge until she pukes.

Dave

Staff member
And I really feel sorry for a lady by the name of Fiona. She's the only one who ever cleans up around the place. There's 11 (12 if you count the guy whose spine I destroyed who is in cryosleep) people here and none of them will lift a finger to help her out. Especially the chick who keeps puking everywhere. Who also happens to be my best researcher. Guess I didn't need to learn how to do new things.

Emphasis mine.

So, on a hypothetical note, having auxiliary bases with a (much) smaller size and fewer people might be practical even for a highly developed colony, at least insofar as defence goes?

Probably not a good idea for the Halforums House game, as we seem to be well on our way towards meeting our targets with the massive setup we have, and managing that number of colonists in a single base might take too much time to afford the up-front micromanagement cost of getting a permanent auxiliary base going. But I'm considering getting my own copy of the game and, should I be inclined towards empire building, could it reasonably be done?

Does anybody know if taking out the hostile bases in the area, thereby crippling their local infastructure, has any effect on pirate (or tribal for that matter) raids? Decreased size and frequency, maybe?

GasBandit

Staff member
Emphasis mine.

So, on a hypothetical note, having auxiliary bases with a (much) smaller size and fewer people might be practical even for a highly developed colony, at least insofar as defence goes?

Probably not a good idea for the Halforums House game, as we seem to be well on our way towards meeting our targets with the massive setup we have, and managing that number of colonists in a single base might take too much time to afford the up-front micromanagement cost of getting a permanent auxiliary base going. But I'm considering getting my own copy of the game and, should I be inclined towards empire building, could it reasonably be done?

Does anybody know if taking out the hostile bases in the area, thereby crippling their local infastructure, has any effect on pirate (or tribal for that matter) raids? Decreased size and frequency, maybe?
The downside of multiple bases is they all operate in real time and you have to switch back and forth between them on the fly... the more bases you have, the harder it is to keep up with what needs attention in each. Also, it massively compounds system resource useage. So, unless you have a really strong system, I wouldn't recommend going with more than two colonies simultaneously. Even my system bogs down bad at 3, and my rig is no slouch.

As far as I know, at the moment, destroying pirate towns and outposts has no effect on their ability to raid you. Raids are generated entirely by the storyteller. Pirate towns are just there for you to raid for resources if you want, and outposts are generated as part of optional "quest" type things you get from local allied towns - they'll send you a notification that says "There's a pirate outpost at these coordinates, destroy it and we'll give you the following reward" and then the outpost pops up on your map. The game is still alpha, though, so that may be subject to change.

Dave

Staff member
So there's this faction that hates my guts. So much so that they keep sending suicide squads to try and take us out. They hit my killbox with their swords and pilums, and get just chewed to ever-loving pieces by the turrets and my fighter types. The good thing is that since all of my people (save the two who joined me) are cannibals, this is also a never-ending source of food.

20170816200233_1.jpg

Dave

Staff member
Just lost my first colonist. His name was Duran. He was the only one who could grow food worth a shit. Nobody else has shown any interest in it at all. This should be interesting.

And no, I didn't butcher him. Now, were we low on meat, maybe...

Just lost my first colonist. His name was Duran. He was the only one who could grow food worth a shit. Nobody else has shown any interest in it at all. This should be interesting.

And no, I didn't butcher him. Now, were we low on meat, maybe...
What about the other Duran, blah blah I can't actually think of a joke because I am not a fan and know nothing about the band blah blah blah?

Dave

Staff member
I'm hoping we get attacked soon by farmers so I can kill all but a couple and then Stockholm Syndrome the shit out of the ones who are left.

What about the other Duran, blah blah I can't actually think of a joke because I am not a fan and know nothing about the band blah blah blah?
You could've taken the Barbarella angle, you know.
I'm hoping we get attacked soon by farmers so I can kill all but a couple and then Stockholm Syndrome the shit out of the ones who are left.
"Your buddies were pretty dumb...but they are kinda tasty. Want some? Of course you do. Eat up."

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Started a new game (letting the Fine Young Cannibals have a rest) and did everything completely random. I used the random storyteller at about mid level. I landed next to an ancient danger and the first thing I did was to open it up. One guy attacked me, one I put back into cryosleep, and one wandered off the map.

My guys are going to die. They are all GREAT at hunting and shooting and killing and stabbing...but only one cooks (3 skill), only one knows how to grow anything (2 skill), and the two that have any construction skill when adding it together equals a grand total of 2 points. So we are hunter/gatherers but we can't build shit.

Started a new game (letting the Fine Young Cannibals have a rest) and did everything completely random. I used the random storyteller at about mid level. I landed next to an ancient danger and the first thing I did was to open it up. One guy attacked me, one I put back into cryosleep, and one wandered off the map.

My guys are going to die. They are all GREAT at hunting and shooting and killing and stabbing...but only one cooks (3 skill), only one knows how to grow anything (2 skill), and the two that have any construction skill when adding it together equals a grand total of 2 points. So we are hunter/gatherers but we can't build shit.
May I suggest Powerless! I haven't used it yet, but the description seems interesting. :) . May work just right with your current setup.

Dave

Staff member
I'm playing it out as they are. I did convert a new guy. Once I built enough beds I thawed him out & healed him. He cooks. At a 3 skill. He can't fight for shit, though.

Dave

Staff member
The guy I thawed out has a name, but his nickname - given by the game, not me - is "Balls". Which leads to some amusing screenshots. "Nuzzled Balls."

20170823195737_1.jpg

Dave

Staff member
Did a new playthrough as a tribe but I have 10 people and I completely balanced the skills. There's at least 2 people for everything. My medical people can't leave the home area and they are also my top researchers. So when nobody is hurt all they do is research, which means they are both almost Godlike at this point.

But I'm not sure we're going to last the winter. Last night when I was playing there were three events back-to-back-to-back. Cold snap killed all the plants outside. An eclipse drained all my batteries. Then a solar flare turned off ALL my electronics, meaning all my food died in the hydroponics area. I have 10 people but only 20 pemmican, 15 simple meals, and some bug meat that I've been saving for kibble. I have 4 guys out hunting anything that moves and hoping the game gives me more critters to kill until I can farm again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Did a new playthrough as a tribe but I have 10 people and I completely balanced the skills. There's at least 2 people for everything. My medical people can't leave the home area and they are also my top researchers. So when nobody is hurt all they do is research, which means they are both almost Godlike at this point.

But I'm not sure we're going to last the winter. Last night when I was playing there were three events back-to-back-to-back. Cold snap killed all the plants outside. An eclipse drained all my batteries. Then a solar flare turned off ALL my electronics, meaning all my food died in the hydroponics area. I have 10 people but only 20 pemmican, 15 simple meals, and some bug meat that I've been saving for kibble. I have 4 guys out hunting anything that moves and hoping the game gives me more critters to kill until I can farm again.
Hope you're growing rice, it matures the fastest. Also if you get in a really bad way, you can harvest it early, at a yield penalty. I had to do that once or twice to save the HF colony. And don't forget, berries still grow in the wild even in late game. If you've got Allow Tool, you can simply find one and then right click it and say "harvest all on map."

Failing all that... cross your fingers and hope the narrator is feeling generous with the cargo pods.