[Gaming] RimWorld

Dave

Staff member
And with that, my first colony died an ignominious death. I had it set for perma-death and randomized my starting group of three. I had 1 assassin who was hell on wheels but wouldn't do much of anything else, 1 cook/doctor, and 1 worker/crafter. Not a bad mix, until my assassin pissed off a cougar. The cougar killed the assassin and that left 0 fighters in the group - seriously, neither of the other guys would even pick up a weapon. So they died in the next attack.

Too bad, too. The prisoner they had almost turned to their side would have filled in that gap wonderfully. Too bad he's now starving to death in prison...

GasBandit

Staff member
And with that, my first colony died an ignominious death. I had it set for perma-death and randomized my starting group of three. I had 1 assassin who was hell on wheels but wouldn't do much of anything else, 1 cook/doctor, and 1 worker/crafter. Not a bad mix, until my assassin pissed off a cougar. The cougar killed the assassin and that left 0 fighters in the group - seriously, neither of the other guys would even pick up a weapon. So they died in the next attack.

Too bad, too. The prisoner they had almost turned to their side would have filled in that gap wonderfully. Too bad he's now starving to death in prison...
Maybe re-randomize your starting people (or adjust their stats with Prepare Carefully) next time, so that nobody is "incapable" of anything, especially violence. Also, maybe choose Phoebe Chillax on "some challenge" for your first year, then switch up to Cassandra Classic after that (you can change narrators in mid-game).

Dave

Staff member
Nah, it was fine. Going through the early stages helps me know what I'm supposed to do. Like my buildings were all laid out crappy and pathing was an issue. Not so much on this next run.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nah, it was fine. Going through the early stages helps me know what I'm supposed to do. Like my buildings were all laid out crappy and pathing was an issue. Not so much on this next run.
You should see the near-breakdown Dei is having because the floorplan I'm building is not symmetrical and the rooms are an even number of tiles wide, so the doors are slightly offset for each room :p

Granted, I usually like to build 5x5 bedrooms (which require 7x7 space after walls are figured in), but I had to shrink it a little because I've got so many people to house.

Dave

Staff member
Saved a girl named Valarie from pirates. She was really happy until we butchered the dead guys who were chasing her and turned them into dinner...

I'm going to give this game a try on my new MacBook!

But only once I finish my volunteer work that's been falling behind a bit due to all my health drama....it's good. motivation for me to stop catching Pokemon on here and get it over with.

I have a great colony going... only... totally forgot to research mortars.... and a siege raid just showed up... I believe I'm screwed.

I have a great colony going... only... totally forgot to research mortars.... and a siege raid just showed up... I believe I'm screwed.
Of course.. that just means I can start a new game... maybe do a 'start with nothing' run.

I'm going to give this game a try on my new MacBook!

But only once I finish my volunteer work that's been falling behind a bit due to all my health drama....it's good. motivation for me to stop catching Pokemon on here and get it over with.
Don't forget the giant list of mods. Otherwise it's a much different game.

--Patrick

Oh crap! I'm glad you said something. What all do I want mod-wise? I'd like to play on my Mac. It seems to more than meet the system requirements listed on Steam. I haven't bought it yet though because I am the worst procrastinator in the world and haven't finished my volunteer stuff yet.

I had a list of mine in the character creation thread I think, or the map one
Oh crap! I'm glad you said something. What all do I want mod-wise? I'd like to play on my Mac. It seems to more than meet the system requirements listed on Steam. I haven't bought it yet though because I am the worst procrastinator in the world and haven't finished my volunteer stuff yet.

Dave

Staff member
I named a guy after myself in my cannibal playthrough. He got married and everything. Then visitors came. One decided that it would be great to come into the bedroom and watch us have sexytimes. Mindy, you perv.

Mindy.jpg

I decided to run a quick "Base Builder" game w/ Phoebe Chillax, from the crash-landing start, but with only two starting characters being avatars of my wife and I. Things went great for almost a full season, then one of the local cougars killed my wife's bonded cat, she retaliated, and the cougar killed the two of us and the runaway we'd taken in. It was marvelously inane.

Dave

Staff member
I was playing the random guy at the lowest setting and even though I've had a raid or two nothing major has happened. So I upped the difficulty a couple notches. About thirty seconds later I got attacked by pirates. There were just as many of them as I had total colonists and they had better weapons than me. Luckily I had a Gasbandit approved killbox and had a few turrets set up, and then had wet the ground with a moat so they had to move slowly through the killing area. I did have my animals set for attack, though, so some of them got pretty injured. Veronica is going to be horrified, but we're going to eat well tonight!

Although I did find out that even when you have mortars set up they don't help if you haven't produced any fucking mortar SHELLS!

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL There's a mod on LoversLab for RimWorld (called RimJobWorld :rimshot:) that... let's just say it would have made this playthrough a whole lot more like HFA O_O;

Dave

Staff member
Holy shit. Taking it up a notch was horrific. Well, still is but only barely. All of these things happened at about the same time:

• Eclipse - all of my solar panels are worthless. Watching the batteries drain and damned glad I have thermal vents.
  • Poison ship just outside of my base right as everyone was going to sleep. I get everyone lined up and the thing erupts. 2 big caterpillar things and 4 bug monsters. The bug monsters were taken care of pretty quickly, but one of my muffalos wandered into the fray (for some reason and I couldn't stop him) and was killed outright. The caterpillars came around the corner and even though I had a kill box, the lances fucked us up. Blew my main sniper's hand clean off and downed all but one fighter type. The non fighters had to help carry the wounded back to the infirmary and I had to manually have the only remaining medic go back and forth between three of them to prioritize care, lest one die.
  • It started to blizzard.
  • One of the batteries in my hydroponics area blew up. I had to send people over fast to repair everything or I'd lose my food.
  • Once the guy whose hand was shot off stabilized, I had him go help the last fighter finish off the poison ship. In the middle of doing this, the last fighter suffered a psychotic break (he got hungry and it set him off). He dropped his weapon and started pummeling a nearby defenseless rabbit. This apparently pissed off the one-handed sniper because he determined that the crazy guy was quite the threat. So he wheeled around and blew the guy's spine clean in half.
So to reiterate, the only fighter I have right now not in a hospital bed or paralyzed has only one hand. The rest are exhausted, especially the only remaining physician who is at a whole 6 points with no interest in it whatsoever.

If anything else happens I might be screwed.

Dave

Staff member
By the way, it happened in that order. The eclipse is still going on. I have 3 people at high break risks. One is in severe pain but keeps getting out of bed. One of her complaints is that it's an ugly hospital. Screw you! You're alive, ain't ya?

GasBandit

Staff member
Things I have learned that new rimworld players might like to know:

"Cover" in this game works more like "concealment." Being positioned behind a sandbag wall means incoming fire has a 65% chance to hit the wall instead of you, but if it hits you, it can hit you anywhere - even the feet/legs, which logically should be impossible.

In a pinch, stone chunks (not bricks, but the raw chunks) are almost as good as sandbags. (50% cover). Even regular furniture and workbenches can provide cover.

Friendly fire has a minimum radius of 3 tiles. A pawn can safely shoot "over" two allies in front of him.

A good way to set up a defense is to build a sandbag wall, put a melee fighter (with a shield belt, ideally) right against the wall, and a ranged fighter behind the melee fighter. That way, if any enemies close to melee range, they will have to deal with the melee fighter first, who is ready for them. This also allows the ranged fighter to keep shooting uninterrupted.

Don't put a structural wall behind a sandbag wall. When raiders start showing up with incendiary launchers and rocket launchers, this will cause them to hit you even if they "miss" because they will hit the structure wall behind you and their projectile will explode.

A melee fighter with a shield belt is not cover. Shield belts don't work the same way as sandbag walls - they only stop bullets that would have otherwise hit the belt wearer. They will not stop bullets from hitting someone standing behind the belt wearer.

If you want prisoners, try to use blunt melee weapons made out of wood. They are more likely to have non-lethal takedowns than sharp weapons (and all ranged fire counts as sharp), and wood swings more often with less damage per hit. If you use heavier material in your clubs/maces such as stone or steel, they have longer cooldown times but do more damage per hit, which means each individual hit is more likely to cause fatal damage.

Your animals WILL eat your drugs and alcohol if they have access to them. It's a pain in the ass to keep them sequestered from them, but you gotta do it.

Also, be sure to set your drug policies to limit use of recreational/social drugs to no more than once every 2 days and only if mood is below 45%. More often than that risks developing adverse effects - smokeleaf causes asthma, which is incurable but manageable, beer causes liver problems, and harder drugs have myriad drawbacks. Ambrosia is relatively harmless but is extremely addictive, and withdrawal is a bitch when it runs out - and it can't be planted, it can only be harvested wild and it only sprouts rarely.

If you have colonists carrying guns (or melee weapons with high melee skill), don't forget to switch their threat behavior from "flee" to "fight." Otherwise, they will not deal with any threats unless manually drafted.

The "Wimp" trait can be a blessing for non-combatant characters. Raiders, mechanoids and non-predator animals will most often ignore a downed pawn and move on to the next target, and "wimp" makes a pawn go down quickly, thus potentially sparing him from worse injury, assuming the rest of the colony isn't overrun and he gets rescued.

The "BZZT" emergency (your batteries cause an explosion) can't happen if you don't have any power conduits, as it is the conduit that explodes, not the battery. Early game, this can be avoided by simply building your batteries right outside the wall of where you need power most, and then building your solar panel right up against the battery. Appliances on the other side of the wall will plug directly into the battery through the wall. Remember to extend a "roof build zone" over the battery to keep it out of the rain, but don't cover the solar panel.

For that matter, make sure all your batteries and electrical appliances (especially smelters and crematoriums) are under a roof, even if they're outdoors. If they are powered on but exposed to rain, they can short out and explode.

Soon as you can, get the fuses/circuit breakers mod to deal with the BZZT events.

Never recruit a pyromaniac, if you can help it.

Last edited:
Like GB said in the other thread, real-world logic doesn't apply.

Like, we crash landed on some random world, how in the FUCK are so many relatives popping up in raiding parties?

GasBandit

Staff member
Like GB said in the other thread, real-world logic doesn't apply.

Like, we crash landed on some random world, how in the FUCK are so many relatives popping up in raiding parties?
Presumably, the relatives were also on the ship, but their pods fell elsewhere on the planet.

Presumably, the relatives were also on the ship, but their pods fell elsewhere on the planet.
It still raises the "whose side are you on?" question that kinda turns me off from playing this myself. Again, trying to apply real-world logic, but this is just silly.

GasBandit

Staff member
It still raises the "whose side are you on?" question that kinda turns me off from playing this myself. Again, trying to apply real-world logic, but this is just silly.
Just as we didn't know "Longshank" was alive, much less with the pirates until he showed up with a raid, he probably didn't know his son Pez was alive (at the time), or where Pez was.

The story from Longshank's point of view (or Sir's, or Veniator's) is that they crashed and were immediately taken by pirates. They didn't know if anybody else survived, or where they were if alive, and they had to become part of the pirate faction to survive, and that meant going on raids for food and equipment. They'd probably had to participate in raids on several other settlements before they came to ours, and didn't see any relatives in any of those. Then they arrive at Halforums House, and they don't exactly have surveillance or mission briefings, just guns and hunger - to them it's just the same as any other settlement. They don't get to look their victims in the face beforehand, and it's probably better for their mental health if they don't try hard to imbue personhood in their opponents anyway. They break through the walls, bullets start flying, they shoot back, they get hit and go down, and wake up in a prison cell, learn that the settlement they were raiding was where their son lives. Maybe they have a change of heart at that point. Maybe they regret attacking in the first place, but they had no other choice at the time.

It's not hard to conceive of a narrative that fits, and isn't "I know my family is in there but I'mma shoot em anyway".

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
If my colony dies tonight I'm going to do a completely random runthrough. Unless I buy Fictorum first...

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, I should point out that, during the battle, our pawns do NOT discriminate in targets either. Manning the killbox, a son is just as likely to gun down his father as any other aggressor, and the regret will come afterward. The debate comes when the father is discovered to still be alive after being downed. Now that the colony is safe, do you finish him off anyway? Let him bleed out on your doorstep? Capture and imprison him? For how long? If not forever, do you attempt to recruit him or decide to let him go at some point, knowing he probably won't survive on his own - or might get picked up by pirates again? Do you save space for him on the ship, or leave him to die with the rest of the planet in 5512?

No easy answers once the adrenaline wears off.

A good way to set up a defense is to build a sandbag wall, put a melee fighter (with a shield belt, ideally) right against the wall, and a ranged fighter behind the melee fighter. That way, if any enemies close to melee range, they will have to deal with the melee fighter first, who is ready for them. This also allows the ranged fighter to keep shooting uninterrupted.
Can't find the pic at the moment, but it's one of two halberdiers behind a single swordsman as a "unit." The swordsman engages in melee and chops the heads off opposing pikes, and the halberdiers have the reach to shred anything threatening the swordsman (and deliver the coup de grâce to fallen enemies as they advance) without directly engaging the enemy.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Can't find the pic at the moment, but it's one of two halberdiers behind a single swordsman as a "unit." The swordsman engages in melee and chops the heads off opposing pikes, and the halberdiers have the reach to shred anything threatening the swordsman (and deliver the coup de grâce to fallen enemies as they advance) without directly engaging the enemy.

--Patrick
As demonstrated in the lynx attack, however, both the halberdier and the rimworld tactical plan break down in the face of fast-moving enemies of equal numbers - Cavalry for the halberd unit, lynxes for the rimworlders. They close the distance, swamp the first rank, and throw the formation into chaos. The Dothraki can tell you how it goes :D Oh wait... you probably didn't see last weekend's GoT episode, did you..

At any rate, the real lesson in tactics is that, in absence of dramatic combat capability disparity, numbers will tell, and who gets there firstest with the mostest will win.

--Patrick
I'm biased, but I like the structure of the Tercio, which is similar to what you describe (but is closer to Rimworld because guns :p).

GasBandit

Staff member
Another thing I learned last night - shot accuracy calculations actually completely ignore your weapon's visual "cone of fire." Sure, every shot from your weapon gets less accurate the greater the distance, but it isn't analogous to the observed path of placement variance at maximum range. Even at point blank range, it is possible to "miss" by an entire tile or more, meaning that you can potentially watch as a bullet exits the tip of your assault rifle's barrel at a 60 degree angle and strikes a wall to your left instead of the animal one tile in front of you.

:facepalm: