Rant VIII: The Reckoning

GasBandit

Staff member
So. Got a lead on an efficiency that's available. Utilities included. I'm going to give them a call in the morning.

My sister thinks she'll be able to help out with the deposit. Even with that, it's still another week to payday. I'm still about $100 short right now, and that's if I don't spend even a penny of what I have left. Considering I have no furniture beyond an office chair and some IKEA cubes, it's going to be... difficult.
Sounds like it is time to put our donation addon to use again, @Dave

Sent.

Time for the bass that's been sitting lonely and unplayed in the corner to find a better home. No regrets, because I haven't touched it in literally years.

guy here is ranting that the list of jobs completed doesn't match the list of jobs to be paid, and that my code is having a problem.

I explain that I haven't changed *that* particular code in 7 years. It can't be a code problem. it has to be a data problem. We argue about it for about 10 minutes.

Sit him down and start comparing the lists...find 54 jobs that aren't marked to be paid to a contractor. Dig deeper and see that they all get paid to one specific contractor.

Lo and behold, It's a new contractor, and they haven't set a pay rate for him yet. Data problem. Argh

guy here is ranting that the list of jobs completed doesn't match the list of jobs to be paid, and that my code is having a problem.

I explain that I haven't changed *that* particular code in 7 years. It can't be a code problem. it has to be a data problem. We argue about it for about 10 minutes.

Sit him down and start comparing the lists...find 54 jobs that aren't marked to be paid to a contractor. Dig deeper and see that they all get paid to one specific contractor.

Lo and behold, It's a new contractor, and they haven't set a pay rate for him yet. Data problem. Argh
PEBKAC and PICNIC are by far the most common issues I'm faced with.

(Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair or Problem in Chair Not In Computer)

It never ends, does it? As SOON as I sign the lease, a tooth crumbles to almost nothing, and the alternator goes on the car. Add car *insurance* due this month, and even with all the help getting settled in the new place, I may be hanging on by my fingernails. I may scrape by if I don't do much else for the next few weeks, but rent is nearly a full paycheck by itself. I had hoped to leave a bit of a buffer, but that plan seems to have gone out the window.

Middle-of-the-road alternator is ~$136 by itself. It'll have to wait until next payday so I can be sure of making rent. I want to be SURE of making rent before any other expenses get their share.

Goddammit.

(EDIT: on further review, it may be a slipping belt. I'd added oil to the engine about an hour prior to the above. And it looks like some that spilled may have landed on the belt and alternator.)

Last edited:
It’s the alternator. Everything failed as I was trying to drive home this morning.

I’ve still got about $480 in the bank today. All of the next paycheck was going to be rent.

Make sure your battery doesn't run out, or you may end up needing one of those, too.
People think your battery is there just to start your car and run your headlights when it's off, but really it's a reserve tank of electricity to keep the spark plugs running in case the alternator ever fails. Depending on how much you've run your car since the alternator went out, you may end up draining your battery, and if you leave it empty for too long you'll need another one of those, too.

--Patrick

Make sure your battery doesn't run out, or you may end up needing one of those, too.
People think your battery is there just to start your car and run your headlights when it's off, but really it's a reserve tank of electricity to keep the spark plugs running in case the alternator ever fails. Depending on how much you've run your car since the alternator went out, you may end up draining your battery, and if you leave it empty for too long you'll need another one of those, too.

--Patrick
F. U. C. K.

I turned back after the airbag light started flashing and the speedometer failed. Made it to about 20 feet from a safe parking spot when the car sputtered and died. Had to get a jump to get it parked. Next and only stop will be a garage.

Hey, so, remember the co-worker who said really inappropriate things to me, teasing about my mental health? I blocked her on Facebook and refused to talk to her long ago. She changed to an at-home rep months ago.

But she was in the office today. I was on my break and doing laps in a mostly unused hallway when she walked by at the end of her shift. She said, "Happy anniversary." The only anniversary I can think of is my recent anniversary for my first major suicide attempt 20 years ago, which I have talked about on social media. And that's the first thing she's tried saying to me in months, after I told her to piss off. So...yeah. One, I'd like to know how she knew about it. Two, that's HIGHLY inappropriate to say to a coworker who wants no communication with you.

I talked to my manager about it who will look into it. Doubt anything will happen of it, but still.

Or better yet, just ignore her. I mean, still tell management or whatever so they know something‘s going on, but to her face just act like her comments are the absolute most ordinary thing in the world.
She’s probably just trying to get a rise out of you for some reason. I’ve found the best way to deal with people trying to get under your skin like that is to just not let them get under your skin until they explode.
If she continues to escalate and decides to get physical, though (assault, vandalism), then by all means have her arrested.

—Patrick

Or better yet, just ignore her. I mean, still tell management or whatever so they know something‘s going on, but to her face just act like her comments are the absolute most ordinary thing in the world.
She’s probably just trying to get a rise out of you for some reason. I’ve found the best way to deal with people trying to get under your skin like that is to just not let them get under your skin until they explode.
If she continues to escalate and decides to get physical, though (assault, vandalism), then by all means have her arrested.

—Patrick
Fortunately, she won't be in the office. It was just this one day because we had a team lunch because of high sales or something. She only came in to work for that. She's worked from home for months now. I've heard from coworkers that it was "strongly suggested" she work from home. She's gotten on the bad side of several people, not just me. My issue is, because of the way I am these days, I'm still overall depressed, basically running in neutral, and admittedly oversensitive. I'm kind of amazed her comment didn't set me off today, which might mean my new medications are finally working. But I don't want to risk her saying anything to me again.

Car is done. Out $280 for the job plus another 60 for the tow. My sister chipped in $200 so I'd be able to get car insurance and food after the rent is paid next payday, but the next few weeks are going to be tense.

So much for car insurance. Food for the next two weeks and prescriptions wiped out plans for that. If I make rent, I'll have about $100 to cover ~$300 in expenses due NOW. Who knew that right after I got the apartment my car would go kablooie? I was set. It was going to be tight, but I was set. Then that happened.

And then my sister decided to add a lecture about saving. Gee, when you get hit with four or five emergencies at once, plus rent eating all but $15 of a paycheck, where's the savings going to come from? I still need to eat. I need to have more to look forward to besides simply crying myself to sleep every afternoon because I had to cancel everything else. If I were caught up, I could get a jump on things because the next paycheck isn't a rent due check. As it is, I'm going to be in the hole until who knows when.

And this is all without COVID-19 entering the picture. If that causes problems with work, I'm well and truly fucked. As it is, I can't use it as a reason to ask for delays. I'm working all my hours. I'm getting paid what I'm owed. I just got blindsided with too much at once And oh, yeah. That tooth that needs to come out. Not gonna happen until I get carried to the dentist. Even caught up, that's an unaffordable expense.

Even with all the help I've already received, I'm in this situation. Where does it all end?

I'm going to make rent first ting tomorrow morning. I have to. I have no history with the rental company, and I can't use the COVID-19 situation as an excuse. I'm working all my hours and getting paid my full wages.

Everyone else is going to have to wait. I need clean clothes. I need to eat. Laundry and food come first.

At this rate I'm never going to get caught up. Savings? Yeah. From what? I'm so far behind Wendy's or McDonalds is looking like an unobtainable luxury. Next payday is not a rent payday, but it's all already gone. Even with all the subscriptions I've already canceled. Tried to check on a new phone plan. The cheapest option via their app is a good 50% more than what I've already been paying with fewer features. That Spectrum offer looks good. Too good to be true, I'm thinking.

Welp, I wrote another blog about writing and mental health. Guess I'm due for one of those.

So. Anyone want to wager on how many of the 54 items I purchased from online ordering at my local grocery store won't be available when (if?) I pick up my order around noon-1 PM AZT tomorrow?

So. Anyone want to wager on how many of the 54 items I purchased from online ordering at my local grocery store won't be available when (if?) I pick up my order around noon-1 PM AZT tomorrow?
I can't afford ONE item right now, so you'll excuse my lack of sympathy.

And for the love of Gods, could you PLEASE cool it with the "I'm in Arizona" shtick? If we don't all get it by now, we never will.

The AZT part was only to indicate when I'm supposed to pick the stuff up. Nothing about AZ was meant other than our weird fluctuations in time.

And I am not expecting sympathy from you, especially. Hell, think of it as laughing at the Kardashian who got a flat tire on the way to the salon or something.

The AZT part was only to indicate when I'm supposed to pick the stuff up. Nothing about AZ was meant other than our weird fluctuations in time.

And I am not expecting sympathy from you, especially. Hell, think of it as laughing at the Kardashian who got a flat tire on the way to the salon or something.
Yeah, I'm a bit on edge. I dropped off my rent check on Monday, but each passing day it hasn't cleared has me in a panic as either uncaught or necessary automatic payments whittle away at the balance.

So the past month or so has been a series of "holy fuck" moments for my aunt, who I'm quite close to.

First she has abdominal pain. She goes to get it checked out. Holy fuck she's got a severe gallbladder inflammation.

She gets her gallbladder surgically removed, then goes home to recover. The hospital does a biopsy on the removed gallbladder. Holy fuck there are cancer cells in there. But it's a good thing they caught it early, and they've already removed the gallbladder!

But she's suddenly got abdominal pain again, along with bloating and a whole bunch of other symptoms, so she goes back to the hospital. Holy fuck, she's got an obstructed bowel.

She gets another operation to clear the obstruction and install a stent. Except during the process of dealing with the obstruction, they did a scan on her abdomen, and holy fuck there are cancer cells all over the place. They didn't catch the cancer in her gallbladder early at all, in fact the cancer cells in her gallbladder were almost certainly metastasized cells from elsewhere.

She stays in the hospital and starts her first round of chemo. But afterwards she drifts in and out of consciousness, which isn't meant to happen. They do a scan on her brain. Holy fuck, there's hemorrhaging and blood clots, she's basically had a stroke; they're not sure if it's due to her original cancer, or due to a reaction to the chemo, or some other factor.

So that's where we are now. She's probably going to pass today or tomorrow. It took roughly one month to go from "my tummy hurts" to "she's not going to make it".