Rant VIII: The Reckoning

The good news is that gay marriage is now legal in Ecuador. The bad news is the incredible amount of coworkers that think this is a bad thing.

The good news is that gay marriage is now legal in Ecuador. The bad news is the incredible amount of coworkers that think this is a bad thing.
Well, I think cow-orking is wrong for those poor beasts, but I still think they're allowed to do it. Sheesh :p

Germaphobes make restrooms nastier.

Some jerk made a paper ass gasket out of half a roll of toilet paper. And did not flush it himself. So I had to touch his ass paper to flush it away.

I'm so fucking pissed right now. Registered for a test at my local CC (TEAS Test, $65 to take it) so I can try and get into the nursing program. I studied my butt off, get there today to take the test (after I took my last vacation yesterday because I was on nights and I wanted to be refreshed for the test). Get o the college and... the TEAS system has a systemwide maintenance from yesterday until tomorrow I can't take the test. The two testing dates the school had was today (that I had to take vacation for) and on the 25th, which I work on that day and would have to take vacation for but I can't because I'm out of vacation (going to Europe in July). So now I have to go talking to the person on Monday about seeing if there is ANYTHING they can do to help me out. Everything is out of my hands right now, I was stressed about the test and now I can't take the test and now I'm stressed about now being able to make it to the next date, if I even CAN make it to that day I'll have to try and find someone to switch schedules with me which means I'd be working nights on that day and not get any sleep. I'm mad, I'm anxious, I... just don't know but needed to vent. Way to waste my morning

Something something powerless worthless. I've done it to myself again. But I guess I know where I stand in the pecking order. No matter how hard I try, I keep fucking myself over. That's why I'm still virtually homeless and making minimum wage at 50. And I can't see any escape.

And when the boss man himself says I'm part of the problem, maybe it really is time to just... go?

(ETA: just to be clear. I'm talking about here. Real or imagined, I get the feeling that I may not really be welcome here anymore.)

Last edited:
Something something powerless worthless. I've done it to myself again. But I guess I know where I stand in the pecking order. No matter how hard I try, I keep fucking myself over. That's why I'm still virtually homeless and making minimum wage at 50. And I can't see any escape.

And when the boss man himself says I'm part of the problem, maybe it really is time to just... go?

(ETA: just to be clear. I'm talking about here. Real or imagined, I get the feeling that I may not really be welcome here anymore.)
DA, I just went off on you a bit, and I'm sorry; I'm not in a very good place myself right now, either. That said, I don't want you to go, really. But lately, I think there's a been a bit of a rash of people here going off on one another, being overly aggressvie and needlessly antagonistic. And I'll gladly admit i'm also part of the problem.

What makes/made this place great is that so many different ideas and opinions can co-exist. Stienman can live happily next to Sera, Invader and GasBandit can argue all night long, Grue and i can make stupid/silly/hilarious jokes at one another, some crazy artists make some stuff we all love, etc etc. Over the past months - and this has been going on since at least a while before Stienman left - there's been too much sensitivity. The world as it is, sucks, and this is getting into a LOT of people's heads. You, blotsfan and Null are clear examples of people who I know really mean well, but have started to come off as incredibly quick to be agitated/aggressed, and turn aggressive. Being open and accepting is hard, and it's only getting harder by the day. Fuck, I can't manage anymore. But by being inaccessible and irritable and quick to take offense, you become what you most hate - the guy not willing to accept people who are different, the person who makes others feel unwelcome for the way they are. I sometimes get shit on too - though mostly not in public, but I personally prefer saying things like this in public because I've been too often burned - and it's hard, and I've taken a step back a few times.

Some people here are less socially able than others. Some here have harder psychological or emotional issues than others. Some face very specific conditions. I tihnk half this board is depressed, and the other half...Well, what the heck are you guys doing hanging around here? Anyway - it can be very hard to be mindful and aware of other people's issues, and doubly so when you come here to vent or work off some steam. I know I've said exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time a few times.

Your life is hard right now, and has been for quite a while. Between work, your home, your mother, etc you've had to face a lot. I commiserate and, while I don't know everything about you and I can't relate with you on everything, I do understand what *sort* of thing it is you're going through, and what kind of uphill battle it can most certainly be. Neither lashing out, nor cutting ties and going off to feel miserable and alone even more isolated, will help you in any way. For one thing - you have way more than enough on your plate in your own life, and while I understand this sounds impossible, I think you should try and care less about a whole lot of the crap going on in the world that, honestly, you're never going to be able to change. Trump's a dick, half of American politics seems retrograde, we're sailing straight towards a second Cold War but this time with three parties and the USA in the weakest position - all true, and it's all weighing on you, heavily...And while I'm all in favor of people in general being more aware of such things, maybe your bucket is already too full and it's ok to let some drops fall elsewhere.

I dunno man, maybe I'm just projecting? I don't know everything, either. Maybe i should've just shut up, too. It's perfectly possible, I dunno. But please, do accept that I, for one, while I may have bene somewhat hostile towards you, really don't want to see you go.

Dave

Staff member
No, no! I'm not saying to leave! Hell no! You're a good dude. We just all need to dial it back a notch, my brother.

I want you to stay. You're awesome.

Hell, I don't want ANYONE to leave. This place is home, y'all are family. I may not contribute much, but I do care about you all, deeply.

What makes/made this place great is that so many different ideas and opinions can co-exist. Stienman can live happily next to Sera, Invader and GasBandit can argue all night long,
I'm not sure if this is the best example since stienman, invader and Sera have all left

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, you have been absent more now that you have a shiny new job. D:
Yeah. And it's likely gonna stay that way through september or so. But I'd hoped to post more after that! But now Bubble's doomed me... I'll just fade away.

if one is not memorable does that mean they could go out the fire exit and disappear in to the night never to be seen again, and that would be ok? im just asking for a friend.

You, blotsfan and Null are clear examples of people who I know really mean well, but have started to come off as incredibly quick to be agitated/aggressed, and turn aggressive.
I thought I was keeping that mostly to the politics forum. :p

Mind you, there's a lot to be angry about in there. But that is, quite appropriately, another thread.

Current mood:

Last edited:
just to be clear. I'm talking about here. Real or imagined, I get the feeling that I may not really be welcome here anymore.)
See, until the ETA EDIT, I thought you were talking about the hotel.
Yeah. And it's likely gonna stay that way through september or so. But I'd hoped to post more after that! But now Bubble's doomed me... I'll just fade away.
I know. It's going to take me months to surpass your post count.
I mean, you have been absent more now that you have a shiny new job. D:
The Hive is starting to wonder if he's seeing someone else, he hasn't been around in so long.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Trying to reimage about 30 desktops in a lab at work. I get everything running properly, they're installing programs, then windows decides that updates need to be done NOW despite automatic updates being off for this. I try to tell it to postpone for 4 hours. The systems say ok, then reboot in a couple of minutes anyway. This kills the automated install process and means that I now have to go from system to system, manually installing any missing software. This made a task that would have taken a couple of hours, with me just spot checking and possibly fixing small issues into one that consumed my entire day yesterday and I am just now finishing up the last few systems.

Dave

Staff member
Trying to reimage about 30 desktops in a lab at work. I get everything running properly, they're installing programs, then windows decides that updates need to be done NOW despite automatic updates being off for this. I try to tell it to postpone for 4 hours. The systems say ok, then reboot in a couple of minutes anyway. This kills the automated install process and means that I now have to go from system to system, manually installing any missing software. This made a task that would have taken a couple of hours, with me just spot checking and possibly fixing small issues into one that consumed my entire day yesterday and I am just now finishing up the last few systems.
Would it be possible in the future to keep LAN connections online while disabling internet connectivity? Or does Windows 10 require you to be online to do this?

I have sympathy for your plight, but by my definition you were not "re-imaging" the computers. That's done with something like Acronis True Image (back in the day), or Norton Ghost (also back in the day) or something else on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disk_cloning_software By definition using one of those tools means that Windows can't interrupt the process because windows isn't running!

/rant off

I have sympathy for your plight, but by my definition you were not "re-imaging" the computers. That's done with something like Acronis True Image (back in the day), or Norton Ghost (also back in the day) or something else on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disk_cloning_software By definition using one of those tools means that Windows can't interrupt the process because windows isn't running!

/rant off
Oh, I've used Clonezilla and Ghost plenty of times in the past. Just saying "reimaging" is simpler than saying "wiping the systems and reinstalling everything from the ground up."

I had to use up my paid vacation time at work before it reset. For some stupid reason, I decided to book a whole week off, thinking I'd go somewhere. So far, I haven't done anything of real substance during my vacation. As I goddamn expected because I don't have anything of substance to do in my life anymore.

Tried biking out to the Bluff Wilderness Trail (near my "yoga rock") intending to hike to a camping site about an hour's hike away. I even wasted like $500 on camping equipment I'll probably never use. And hiked maybe ten minutes before turning back because bugs were eating me alive and a sign about it being a bear and moose area scared me. Going alone was stupid, but it's not like I have anyone in my life who would join me.

So as expected, I'm wasting my stupid vacation doing jack all. What's the point of doing anything, anyway?

The camping equipment should last a long time, so I wouldn't write it as a loss yet. You most likely will get another chance to use it, if not this summer than next.
I love being outdoors, but I am a magnet for bug bites, so I don't blame you turning around. Is there an online group that meets for hiking? That sounds like it could be fun. And hopefully someone will have some bug repellent next time!