Rant VIII: The Reckoning

GasBandit

Staff member
not really, the fans whirr a bit but it doesn't sound like previous failed hard drives I've had
Then, it might be worth turning both off and moving the old HD into the new machine, and see if it appears as an extra drive when you power the new one back on again. I'm not saying it'll happen, but it's not impossible. If you're interested in trying it, maybe start a thread in the tech subforum and we can walk you through it.

Cajungal

Staff member
The purse was also my grandmothers, one of the only items I owned belonging to her. It was vintage, made in the fifties, with real brass fasteners. It was, genuinely, one of the most lovely items I owned.

And I forgot it in the fucking car.
Ohhhhhhhh man that is truly disappointing. I'm so sorry ☹

my wife was ordering xmas stuff day before yesterday, and she asked me if we should get a new tv for the bedroom. I told her not to blow up her credit card, and she said "That tv is on its last legs! I should just order one." I just shook my head and said we didn't really need a new TV.

Guess what went out today. ;)

It lights up briefly and then the screen goes to black. I have half a mind to crack it open and see if it's just a blown capacitor.

my wife was ordering xmas stuff day before yesterday, and she asked me if we should get a new tv for the bedroom. I told her not to blow up her credit card, and she said "That tv is on its last legs! I should just order one." I just shook my head and said we didn't really need a new TV.

Guess what went out today. ;)

It lights up briefly and then the screen goes to black. I have half a mind to crack it open and see if it's just a blown capacitor.
I'd say check for ears because it seems it heard the conversation.

Sorry to be a combo breaker, but I want to actually rant...

My fucking students are the worst sometimes. They are constantly looking for the laziest, shittiest way to do something. It makes me want to yell and scream at how lazy and incompetent they are.

When I assign a goddamn essay and we spend 4 days gathering evidence, writing an outline, and going over good examples, HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO IGNORE ALL THAT AND TURN IN THIS TRASH?!

It makes my blood boil at how badly they have utterly failed this assignment when I've held their fucking hands for a week on this.

Last edited:

My fucking students are the worst sometimes. They are constantly looking for the laziest, shittiest way to do something. It makes me want to yell and scream at how lazy and incompetent they are sometimes.

When I assign a goddamn essay and we spend 4 days gathering evidence, writing an outline, and going over good examples, HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO IGNORE ALL THAT AND TURN IN THIS TRASH?!

It makes my blood boil at how badly they have utterly failed this assignment when I've held their fucking hands for a week on this.
I'm not entirely up on the American letter-grading system, but this is when you (want to) start exploring letters beyond "F", right? :p

fade

Staff member
Well, I just got laid off for Christmas.

I knew it was coming eventually, but I never thought they'd do it so close to the holidays. The current owners are a heartless investment company that is essentially cutting its losses. Hope they enjoy those visits from three spirits.

Seriously why the holidays. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, job prospects the next few weeks weeks are nil because everyone is on vacation.

Dave

Staff member
That's how I felt when I got fired the day before Thanksgiving in 2001. Hugs, man. Hope you find something fast.

Cajungal

Staff member

My fucking students are the worst sometimes. They are constantly looking for the laziest, shittiest way to do something. It makes me want to yell and scream at how lazy and incompetent they are.

Man, Tress, I am with you. I've got a student who is probably getting kicked out this year. He doesn't lift a finger, and I put out so much energy to try and teach him. Just today, I timed him for 10 minutes while he sat at his desk and did nothing. We basically have to gather data to prove that he's not adopting any of the independence we've tried to teach him since first grade.

Man, Tress, I am with you. I've got a student who is probably getting kicked out this year. He doesn't lift a finger, and I put out so much energy to try and teach him. Just today, I timed him for 10 minutes while he sat at his desk and did nothing. We basically have to gather data to prove that he's not adopting any of the independence we've tried to teach him since first grade.
Isn't Evidenced-Based Practices a great thing? </sarcasm_mode>

Dave

Staff member
So the lady from my work who was shot in the head suffered a massive stroke after her second brain surgery. She is being pulled from the life support Monday.

Dave

Staff member
I found out from a work email. The family is letting her stay on life support until Monday so that friends and other family can come say goodbye. Bellevue University is setting up a scholarship in her name and the family are donating all her organs.

Monday at work is going to suck. Most people will be finding out about it then.

Nothing like being fat shamed in the gym locker room to really start your day.

I was checking the scale after my shower - usual routine for me - when this old guy says "Whoa! Did you break it?! Are you fiddling with the numbers?!"

I have been fat most of my life. I've been bullied for being fat most of my life. I am incredibly self conscious about my weight. My self esteem is perpetually low, even on good days.

Comments like this are incredibly hurtful. Know your audience before making a joke like that.

This is the first time I've been fat shamed in a GoodLife gym and I sure as hell hope it's the last. I didn't say anything to this guy. Too angry and shocked and said nothing and definitely didn't laugh.

If I see him again, I'll likely confront him and let him know how much his "joke" hurt. I get anything he'll laugh it off and tell me to grow thicker skin or something.

But I suddenly feel less welcome at GoodLife.

Nothing like being fat shamed in the gym locker room to really start your day.

I was checking the scale after my shower - usual routine for me - when this old guy says "Whoa! Did you break it?! Are you fiddling with the numbers?!"

I have been fat most of my life. I've been bullied for being fat most of my life. I am incredibly self conscious about my weight. My self esteem is perpetually low, even on good days.

Comments like this are incredibly hurtful. Know your audience before making a joke like that.

This is the first time I've been fat shamed in a GoodLife gym and I sure as hell hope it's the last. I didn't say anything to this guy. Too angry and shocked and said nothing and definitely didn't laugh.

If I see him again, I'll likely confront him and let him know how much his "joke" hurt. I get anything he'll laugh it off and tell me to grow thicker skin or something.

But I suddenly feel less welcome at GoodLife.
Tell gym management, if you can. I seem to recall GoodLife having a 'no body shaming' policy.

Also, that guy is a piece of shit.

Dave

Staff member
Dude....you're not fat. Maybe you USED to be, but your last pictures are amazing. Fuck that old guy and don't listen to him. He's just an idiot.

Tell gym management, if you can. I seem to recall GoodLife having a 'no body shaming' policy.

Also, that guy is a piece of shit.
My plan is to confront him next time I see him. Not to tell and swear, but to very clearly tell him why his joke hurt.

If he doubles down, as I suspect he will, THEN I'll inform management.

GoodLife actually responded to me on Twitter. The usual expected response, but still.

Dave

Staff member
It's probably someone young doing it that's used to typing in such a manner. So you are probably the only one. ;)

It's probably someone young doing it that's used to typing in such a manner. So you are probably the only one. ;)
In my experience, it's only old (45+) people that dont type complete words. Though in this case, typing the full words would go over the character limit for a tweet.