Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Why the fucking fuck do I even talk?

Is there a job where you alienate people for a living? Because I have a natural ability, and I might as well make it work for me.

HEY GUYS DID YOU HEAR? GLOBAL WARMING IS OVER!!!!

Goddammit I hate it when friends that I think are smart, fall for the corporate bullshit from Fox News or whatever bullshit spinner is affecting them.

Goddammit I hate it when friends that I think are smart, fall for the corporate bullshit from Fox News or whatever bullshit spinner is affecting them.
No no, we're experiencing the warmest winter in 20 years over here. Clearly, global warming is going FASTER THAN EVER BEFORE? and politicians should act DECISIVELY, RIGHT NOW! BAN ALL CARS! BAN ALL HEATERS!
...Oh, sorry, that's what I'm getting in my FB feed right now, because leftist wingnuts are filling it up again.

it's funny - a "horro winter" of epic proportions was predicted, caused by global warming. Hasn't happened (here), it's unseasonally warm - so, GLOBAL WARMING.

I'm convinced GW is a serious issue we need to take steps to prevent against; it's something we can't just "solve" from a Belgian or even European point of view, but anyway. I'm all for some ecotax stuff. Some people want to blame GW for everything though, and want everything to stop because of it. Which is just ridiculous as well, and fuels the counteridiots.
Also, closing down nuclear plants and coal plants and oil plants and gas plants within the next 5 years (yes, that's a serious suggestion over here) is idiocy and will only mean we'll import all of our power - from countries like France and Russia. Yeah, their power's gonna be cleaner than ours. Sure.

I absolutely hate the term Global Warming. It's wildly inaccurate. Climate Change is a more appropriate term. Seeing as people seem to think that Global Warming means that things will just get hotter everywhere.

Anyway, on a completely unrelated note:

I just realized that my dog turns 10 this summer and the life expectancy of his breed is 11.45 years. :(

GoP radio is as hilarious as ever today thanks to the topic of Climate Change.

I can't even repeat the stuff they said, it's beyond retardation. EX: -Are solar panels keeping you warm right now? Are windmills keeping you warm? No, it's coal and oil! All them libs want to do is take away your coal and oil and then what? You'll freeze to death!-

Hysterical.

GasBandit

Staff member
Some contractor the owner hired came through this morning, apparently to install lights under the high cabinets in the new kitchen... didn't know which breaker controlled the power there, so he just went to the box and started flipping them one by one. Because sure, there's no way that could screw stuff up in a 60+ year old radio station full of decades of kludges and half-fixes.

I about bit his head off. One of our two internet connections still hasn't come back up, the ISP's head guy is having to come out to check their equipment.

Some contractor the owner hired came through this morning, apparently to install lights under the high cabinets in the new kitchen... didn't know which breaker controlled the power there, so he just went to the box and started flipping them one by one. Because sure, there's no way that could screw stuff up in a 60+ year old radio station full of decades of kludges and half-fixes.

I about bit his head off. One of our two internet connections still hasn't come back up, the ISP's head guy is having to come out to check their equipment.
Hilarious. I mean, that sucks, but I'm just imagining watching this guy shrug and start flipping giant breakers.

So this has now escalated from a whine to a rant. My mother sent me an email this morning with a picture of her dashboard thermometer at 7 degrees. That was annoying. Then later, I posted an article on FB about people who are trying to make "snow" by throwing boiling water into the air and end up burning themselves. My cousin leaves this comment: "Lisa are you warm? Don't you feel sorry for your family?"
No, I don't feel sorry for my family! You all CHOOSE to stay in NJ! I got sent here thanks to the US Navy, not by a decision to just up and move to Hawaii. It's also not like NJ is that cold compared to other parts of the country. A cold snap happens practically every winter at least once unless it is unusually mild. Sure, 7 degrees is cold. Just like any other winter when it's been 7 degrees or less! I have been outside in 0 degree weather with a wind chill of -10! I have shoveled nearly three feet of snow, not just off of a sidewalk, but to make a pathway between three houses! And, no, I didn't have a working snowblower or anyone able-bodied who would lift a finger to help me. So fuck you, cousin, and anyone else who wants to bust my fucking stones about how I live in Hawaii!

You all CHOOSE to stay in NJ!
:(

Seriously, though, I'm just piling on the sweaters and blankets and counting the days until spring. If I were your family, I wouldn't want to make you feel guilty. I'd just be telling you to make some room on your couch for me. :D

So this has now escalated from a whine to a rant. My mother sent me an email this morning with a picture of her dashboard thermometer at 7 degrees. That was annoying. Then later, I posted an article on FB about people who are trying to make "snow" by throwing boiling water into the air and end up burning themselves. My cousin leaves this comment: "Lisa are you warm? Don't you feel sorry for your family?"
No, I don't feel sorry for my family! You all CHOOSE to stay in NJ! I got sent here thanks to the US Navy, not by a decision to just up and move to Hawaii. It's also not like NJ is that cold compared to other parts of the country. A cold snap happens practically every winter at least once unless it is unusually mild. Sure, 7 degrees is cold. Just like any other winter when it's been 7 degrees or less! I have been outside in 0 degree weather with a wind chill of -10! I have shoveled nearly three feet of snow, not just off of a sidewalk, but to make a pathway between three houses! And, no, I didn't have a working snowblower or anyone able-bodied who would lift a finger to help me. So fuck you, cousin, and anyone else who wants to bust my fucking stones about how I live in Hawaii!
Oh brother, that's insane. I mean, I'd rather be in Hawaii (or Peru, or Saint Lucia, or the Sahara desert...) but who the hell thinks people living in warmer places ought to feel bad for people who don't? The grass is always greener, any way. I have cold, you have bugs, I have dry weather cracking my skin if I don't moisturise, you have humidity... As your original seasonal-whiner post implied, it's not that these people don't like winter, it's that they enjoy whining and want everyone else to be as grumpy as they are.[DOUBLEPOST=1389128395,1389128349][/DOUBLEPOST]

Seriously, though, I'm just piling on the sweaters and blankets and counting the days until spring. If I were your family, I wouldn't want to make you feel guilty. I'd just be telling you to make some room on your couch for me. :D
Ohhhhh we should totally crash at Wasabi's. We'll do chores or something to pay our stay.

"Not as warm as the children that bad parents give boiling water to! Don't you feel sorry for them?"
And the reply she gave you was a hint of why I do not ever want to move near my relatives again. "Stupid is that stupid does" - nevermind the fact that she got the saying wrong, this is a grandmother of young children and a Sunday School teacher on the kindergarten level! You're talking about children being scalded with hot water and she gives that kind of reply. smh

Why don't I want to move closer to my family? Ugh.[DOUBLEPOST=1389132210,1389131971][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ohhhhh we should totally crash at Wasabi's. We'll do chores or something to pay our stay.
Just watch the kids for a few hours so the Mr. and I can go to a movie. It's not asking much really since my kids are old enough to handle a lot of things on their own. They just need supervision.

And the reply she gave you was a hint of why I do not ever want to move near my relatives again. "Stupid is that stupid does" - nevermind the fact that she got the saying wrong, this is a grandmother of young children and a Sunday School teacher on the kindergarten level! You're talking about children being scalded with hot water and she gives that kind of reply. smh

Why don't I want to move closer to my family? Ugh.[DOUBLEPOST=1389132210,1389131971][/DOUBLEPOST]

Just watch the kids for a few hours so the Mr. and I can go to a movie. It's not asking much really since my kids are old enough to handle a lot of things on their own. They just need supervision.
Done deal.

I just want to clarify that my parents and this particular cousin have the means to move elsewhere and have discussed it many times over the last 20 years. The fact that they are in NJ is by their choice. My parents have wanted to move to South Carolina. My cousin has tossed around moving to Mississippi or Louisiana where she has other family.I didn't mean it like anyone can pick up and move at any time they wish. I know better!

At any rate, the same applies to you staying on the couch as with Chad coming here to crash our place. Just watch our two kids for a few hours so we get a date night and the air mattress (roomier than the couch) is all yours!

I just want to clarify that my parents and this particular cousin have the means to move elsewhere and have discussed it many times over the last 20 years. The fact that they are in NJ is by their choice. My parents have wanted to move to South Carolina. My cousin has tossed around moving to Mississippi or Louisiana where she has other family.I didn't mean it like anyone can pick up and move at any time they wish. I know better!

At any rate, the same applies to you staying on the couch as with Chad coming here to crash our place. Just watch our two kids for a few hours so we get a date night and the air mattress (roomier than the couch) is all yours!
Wait, why does she get the roomy air mattress? Blatant favouritism!

My mom finally made it home from the hospital. She's sleeping now. Supposedly all is well from this point on. Given how many times I was told that since Saturday, I'm not going to celebrate just yet.

...I'm sorry, what was that last part? I was busy booking my plane tickets. :D
(They can run around with my 17-month-old. All that energy is bound to cancel each other out. Eventually.)