Rant VIII: The Reckoning

They only think that because you still have darts in... other crevices.

Unless that's just a fashion statement.
Meh. I knew someone was going to make that joke the second I wrote "crevices", but I was too lazy to look up a synonym.

We're at least 10 years younger than everyone in our immediate neighborhood. I'm sure we've made a number of questionable fashion statements in their eyes. But the darts are strictly for pleasure. :unibrow:

Found out today, a friend, actually the boyfriend that my wife had before we started dating, that has been battling cancer and even going so far as to do some drug testing, is going to come home to hospice care.

He's only a year older than I am. I was in his wedding. He has a 5 year old adopted son.

Cancer fucking sucks.

GasBandit

Staff member
What show is it?
Code Geass: Lelouche of the Rebellion. It's anime about a minor princeling with issues and a gift for strategy who, through a chance encounter, inherits a supernatural ability to place a Geas on others, and decides to leverage this ability into a huge chessmaster/Xanatos Gambit to overthrow his father.

It's also kind of interesting in that it takes place in an alternate earth where Napoleon didn't lose, and the British aristocracy was driven off their island to hide in the american colonies, where they established the Britannian Empire, which became the dominant oppressors of the globe through a combination of superior mech technology and apartheid.

Cancer fucking sucks.
You're telling me. :drunk:

Code Geass: Lelouche of the Rebellion. It's anime about a minor princeling with issues and a gift for strategy who, through a chance encounter, inherits a supernatural ability to place a Geas on others, and decides to leverage this ability into a huge chessmaster/Xanatos Gambit to overthrow his father.

It's also kind of interesting in that it takes place in an alternate earth where Napoleon didn't lose, and the British aristocracy was driven off their island to hide in the american colonies, where they established the Britannian Empire, which became the dominant oppressors of the globe through a combination of superior mech technology and apartheid.

You're telling me. :drunk:
On a much lighter rant note, damn you TVTropes link. Where did my hour and a half go?

It was exactly that and I've never been more tired in my life.
Ugh, I'm sorry.

Offer stands for a drink if you ever wanna unwind with a random forumite. I have this lovely scotch I got for Christmas...

...I like it when you say things.
Thanks for saying so, that's kind of you. I've been having a hard go of it with some of my close friends and family lately, and I feel like I must be doing something since I'm the common denominator, yet when I reflect on things, I can't quite see where I've gone wrong. My girlfriend thinks that when I express an opinion, it comes across as me trying to make others have that same opinion, and judging them for not. I've been trying to see what sorts of phrasing or behaviours might lead people to feel that way, since it is never my intent. Ah, well...

Cajungal

Staff member
Well, it's decent of you to try and figure out how you might communicate better. Hope it doesn't cause you too much stress, though.

Given how people communicate how, I wonder if it's just a misunderstanding. So many opinions are presented as questions nowadays.

Ex: I just feel that violence is... wrong? You know what I mean? (lame example, but you get it)

If you're the kind of person who clearly states something, it might come off as arrogant when really, you're just sure of yourself... especially if you're presenting evidence along with it. Supporting your view might be mistaken for campaigning for it. Of course, this is just a guess on my part since I've never really been in the situation.

Anyway, you rule.

Well, it's decent of you to try and figure out how you might communicate better. Hope it doesn't cause you too much stress, though.

Given how people communicate how, I wonder if it's just a misunderstanding. So many opinions are presented as questions nowadays.

Ex: I just feel that violence is... wrong? You know what I mean? (lame example, but you get it)

If you're the kind of person who clearly states something, it might come off as arrogant when really, you're just sure of yourself... especially if you're presenting evidence along with it. Supporting your view might be mistaken for campaigning for it. Of course, this is just a guess on my part since I've never really been in the situation.

Anyway, you rule.

Violence is clearly sensible and allowed in certain cases, and if you're using such broad strokes, you're making a big mistake. Thinking otherwise is just plain wrong.

You are, however, correct in your last statement.

Anyway, you rule.
hahaha, coincidentally not as lame an example as you think: that very statement resulted in an argument recently!

A friend of mine said something tangentially related to your point about opinions being stated as questions, which is that it seems to be okay not to have an opinion, or to have opinions against things, but not for other things. The more I think on that, the more I think it to be a pretty accurate observation.

And, aw, I don't know if I rule, but I'll try it on for size.

The primary issue is that when you are against one thing, it's obvious what you are communicating.

When you are for A, you may or may not be against B, C, D, E, F, etc. However those who are for those things may take your support of A as an implied opposition of B, or C, etc.

It's easy to get someone's dander up with a message of support, even though you've said absolutely nothing that should be construed to mean you oppose other things.

"I support marriage between one woman and one man."

That's going to make people mad, even though it doesn't say, "I don't support anything but marriage between one woman and one man", nor does it state opposition to anything. Further, there are very few people who don't agree with that statement when considered alone without all the cultural baggage now connected to it.

Very few people oppose marriages between one woman and one man, so why would they be unhappy if someone supports it? It's because they automatically assume the converse to be true. A voice of support is an implied voice of opposition to everything else.

So yes, generally speaking, voicing opposition to something is less controversial than voicing support of something.
Yes, I essentially agree. It may be a core of some disagreements I have, though certainly not all. I can't imagine regularly having to state, "I support A. This statement says a restricted amount about my position on related subjects," yet that it sometimes how I feel I have to phrase things.

That being said, I support well done steaks.
Yes, I already know you're a bad a person.

Cajungal

Staff member
Violence is clearly sensible and allowed in certain cases, and if you're using such broad strokes, you're making a big mistake. Thinking otherwise is just plain wrong.

You are, however, correct in your last statement.
I wasn't using a personal opinion necessarily... just an example of how vague and poorly stated opinions can be sometimes.

I support all forms of religious and legal steak preparation that are within the legality of my home state of Minnesota.

GasBandit

Staff member
"And how would madame like her steak?"
"Just run the steer by the table and I'll grab off a hunk!" Jon Arbuckle's date, 198X?

Cajungal

Staff member
I don't like that there's a restaurant out there that calls a seared slab of cauliflower with assorted trimmings a "vegan steak." I'd rather eat well done beef than that.

I don't like that there's a restaurant out there that calls a seared slab of cauliflower with assorted trimmings a "vegan steak." I'd rather eat well done beef than that.
Had a friend's mom who was vegan, said her vegan steak was a grilled portabello mushroom.

Bleh.

Had a friend's mom who was vegan, said her vegan steak was a grilled portabello mushroom.

Bleh.
As much of an anti-vegan as I am, stuffed grilled portabello is pretty delicious.

When it's on top of a 3 inch thick steak....that's still quivering....because it's rare.

Little Caesars is the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten.
As fucking gross as Little Caesars is, at least it's like 4 bucks for a pizza. Fuck Pizza Hut and their 25 dollar covered in gravy and french fries disgusting monstrosities. Pizza Hut is the God damn worst.

THIS IS A REAL THING. IT HAS GRAVY INSTEAD OF PIZZA SAUCE. I've tried it. It's disgusting.

GasBandit

Staff member
Obviously you've never had Cici's Pizza buffet. Worst. Pizza. Ever. Little Ceasar's is decent in comparison.
Cici's used to (maybe 7 years ago?) have a chicken bacon club pizza that used a white sauce instead of tomato that was incredibly good. But yeah, their regular pizza is a death warrant for anyone over the age of 25.