Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Last week I took a day off and had a sub cover my class. Apparently the sub is a clueless dolt, because some of my students were able to distract him while another broke into my cabinets and stole approximately $120 worth of stuff.

Thankfully three students came forward to identify this little heist... but still. What the fuck?! Fucking asshole kids.

The only upside is the main instigator of this little plan will be suspended for a week and removed from my class for the rest of the year. But I feel like my trust has been completely shattered.
As a former jr high hoodlum, I just wanted to let you know that some of us turn out okay. I don't know what age you teach, but jr high was some rough times. You have my sympathy.

As a former jr high hoodlum, I just wanted to let you know that some of us turn out okay. I don't know what age you teach, but jr high was some rough times. You have my sympathy.
7th grade. And thank you. It's good to remember that at least some of these kids are just temporarily insane, not completely gone.

Aussie and I both are pretty sure we've said/searched for/looked at things that have gotten us on some agency's watch list.

Also, I'm most definitely in the same boat. Something about acquiring the Anarchist's cookbook in several flavors, and buying Mein Kampf AND the Communist Manifesto on the same day (I swear, they were unrelated occurrences! ).

I should be thankful that I have a job and a roof over my head. But that's just today. Next week? Next month? Who knows? Thanksgiving dinner? Yeah, right. I'm having natto for lunch and then gyudon for dinner. There's no family around but the cats.

A guy representing the bank showed up to take pictures of the outside of the house. That can only mean foreclosure procedures are imminent. The owner of the hotel decided to cut the hours of the entire front desk staff for the winter. If I wasn't going to be able to afford rent before if I have to move, now it's going to be impossible. The guy doesn't realize that the front desk is a 24/7 position no matter how busy the season is. He obviously doesn't put any value on his employees. Two others not only just moved into new houses, but they also have families to feed. At this rate, he's going to have an empty property because no one will work for him. This is the same guy who complained about how he was "forced" to buy a new refrigerator so it would match the new dishwasher he also bought.

The job itself is fine once I'm on for the night, but I have to think of myself first. Christmas here is basically canceled. If I can't afford to even have a place to live, how in the hell am I going to be able to do anything for anyone else? Grandma gave me $100 for my birthday and Christmas Tuesday, and I did something for myself for the first time in months, before everything else hit the fan. I should have just handed the check to my sister to cover the electric bill.

I'm busting my ass to merely stay afloat, and it feels like the moment I make the slightest attempt to actually improve things, I get the rug yanked out from under me. Wanted to get the car fixed, and prescriptions got in the way. No refills without an office visit. Another $100+ just went goodbye. They want blood work done too. How much is the lab going to cost me? Instead of Thanksgiving leftovers (even though there aren't any), I need to fast so I can hopefully go in on Friday to get that done. Assuming I don't decide I need to hold onto my money instead.

And while everyone else is posting about their feasts and shopping plans, I'm sitting here thinking about going back to bed until Friday night when it's time for the work week to start again. Fuck the holidays.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

GOD DAMN JESUS MOTHER FUCKING CHRIST!!!!! WHY THE HOLY FUCK WOULD YOU THINK IT'S ACCEPTABLE TO MAKE A SHIV AT WORK!!!! AND THEN USE IT TO OPEN PACKAGES IN FRONT OF THE JOHSC REPS!!!!!!

:facepalm:

GOD DAMN JESUS MOTHER FUCKING CHRIST!!!!! WHY THE HOLY FUCK WOULD YOU THINK IT'S ACCEPTABLE TO MAKE A SHIV AT WORK!!!! AND THEN USE IT TO OPEN PACKAGES IN FRONT OF THE JOHSC REPS!!!!!!

:facepalm:
Wow and here I thought I worked with some complete idiots.

Also the rating was for needing to have it explained to me why they would think that was acceptable. I don’t need to have a shiv explained to me.

Dave

Staff member
Still the greatest contest ever. Calleja lost his damned mind and could NOT figure out that there is a difference between "west of Acapulco" and "DUE west of Acapulco".

A friend is posting about how she gets sick despite having the flu shot. She works in kindergarten as a teacher's assistant. In Hawaii where tourists and the military come from other areas and bring lots of germs with them. She doesn't seems to get that the flu shot isn't to protect her, but to protect the kids in the classroom from getting it. That the "flu" is not a stomach virus or bronchitis or a sinus infection or a really bad cold. It's also not usually self-diagnosed. I mean, I can say I have the flu, but it's really just a cold. People who go to the doctor for their illness can be tested for influenza. One comment on her post is that she doesn't have to worry about getting a flu shot anymore because she's "covered" meaning God will protect her health.

Really?!?

I'm in a Facebook support group for people with the same autoimmune arthritis I have and most of us have at least one more autoimmune disease. With this being the case, you'd think that we'd all have a fairly realistic view of our medical issues. The God protecting you thing comes up way more than you'd expect.

I got my flu shot a few weeks ago and I was concerned by how sick I was this month. I knew it wasn't a shot to protect from the stomach bug kind of flu, but I was concerned about the horrid chest plague that I have now.

Yeah I understand that, too. I get mine because I have very mild asthma that goes berserk when I'm sick. From what I've heard about this year's flu (based on reports from Australia) it's going to be an ugly one even if you have gotten the shot. Nothing is 100% effective when you're using your best educated guess (may not be the right term) to determine what the strains will be like.

On another note, I've upset my mom. I have 3 papers to write in the next week + and I'm presenting a half-assed group project tonight. She sent me a text and asked how I was doing. I said "busy...but what else is new". She says she'll text me tomorrow, so I explain that it's not just today that I'm busy. I have school stuff that I need to finish over the next 2 weeks. "No problem," which is her being passive-aggressive because I'm not willing to drop everything to talk to her about what crap she's dug up from the attic that she wants to send me next. It's the end of the semester, woman! I'm sorry you don't get that.

My mom posted the stupid viral thing about Starbucks not serving Marines or some nonsense. My husband posted a Snopes link debunking it. My mom told him to stop drinking the Kool-Aid. It only got worse from there. Long story short, I had to deal with my mother crying on the phone for an hour and also telling my husband to stop being a fucking 5 year old. I don't agree with my mother not understanding the difference between opinion and fact, but when you get in a fucking back and forth insult war on Facebook, you are both idiots.

I wonder what my mom would be like on facebook, if she were still around. Probably a frothing liberal. Heh.
Like, I don't even care if people have a different political opinion. When my husband and my mother have a fucking insult war in which he tells her to stop being stupid and she calls him a know it all, it's ridiculous.

As an aside, I AM GETTING SO SICK OF PEOPLE NOT GETTING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OPINION AND FACT.

I am trying to get my husband to at least post a minimal apology, and say he's sorry for escalating things (because I think my mom started it, but she thinks him even daring to post a dissenting link on her post is what started it :rolleyes:), but he's being completely juvenile about it. Look, I don't give a fuck who started it, I have to live with both of you, and I want you to at least PRETEND at civility.

Maybe you should get your guy to join our political talk. It might wear him out to the point he can't be bothered talking about it in real life.

That's how Halforums has helped me.

(I've been sailing through the Trump era with grand indifference and it feels wonderful!)

I can pretend, if it'll help
Won't work, he already knows your political views.

As a follow up, I got my husband to agree to letting me post an apology for him, and if either of my parents makes a snarky comment about it, *I* will be the one to get snarky back, not him.

I don't think anyone on this forum is of the "Brainwashed by viral Facebook posts" variety.
No, true.

But it's not so much about any specific argument. I'm exhausted simply from arguing, that I'm shrugging off nearly all Stupid with a nod, a "yeah, I guess so," and maybe a mental note to never talk to that person again.