Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Dave

Staff member
Getting back home on Friday. That's not the rant. The rant is that my mother in law has gone into the hospital and is having trouble breathing. So when I get home Friday I may need to go on the road for the weekend to travel to Colorado Springs. So even though I'm going to Cowboy's Stadium tomorrow I'm not going to buy any merch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Ten years ago I had to put my dog down. I've never had the chance to tell anyone about it, but immediately after the act my husband grew gravely ill. And discussing what happened to my dog seems small in comparison. Not sure why I am unloading this here;

They butchered her. They botched it badly. Instead of slowly slipping away it was an hour of agony. They got the initial dosage wrong and she vomited everywhere while struggling to stay alive. The second dosage put her down, but not until they made us wait until the first dosage would work. It was endless agony for both of us. I still have nightmares about it.

Holy fuck Underling #7, if you're updating the windows install on your PC, that's great but how about warning me? NOT CHECKING ALARMS FOR AN HOUR IS NOT OK YOU ASSDIMPLE. Seriously. What's the mind set of these people? "Oh, nothing'll happen for AN HOUR ON END"? This is our CORE BUSINESS.

In his defense, if he's running WinX, it DOES have a documented annoying habit of just going ahead and updating whether you're ready for it or not.

--Patrick

At least today's job rejection came from them, instead of waiting for days and calling only to find out it was a no. This one also rules out their sister location at the opposite end of the shopping plaza. Back to square one. Again.

At least today's job rejection came from them, instead of waiting for days and calling only to find out it was a no. This one also rules out their sister location at the opposite end of the shopping plaza. Back to square one. Again.
I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be.[DOUBLEPOST=1501376271,1501376215][/DOUBLEPOST]
In his defense, if he's running WinX, it DOES have a documented annoying habit of just going ahead and updating whether you're ready for it or not.

--Patrick
It updates automatically on me all the time. I am seriously considering switching to a Mac and this is one of the top ten reasons.

It updates automatically on me all the time. I am seriously considering switching to a Mac and this is one of the top ten reasons.
There are settings that you can use to tell it "not between the hours of A and B," for instance. Or you can tell it you're on a metered connection, which will keep the big updates from coming down until you specifically request them.

--Patrick

I need to do that!

I am still considering that MacBook though. I've been offered a sweet deal on a clearance one at Best Buy and it's on hold for me while I make sure it will run everything I want. My only concern is the low amount of memory, but if that can be upgraded, then no worries! Hoever MacBooks are sneaky so I'm having a hard time finding this out and the store isn't answering their phone yet.

I need to do that!

I am still considering that MacBook though. I've been offered a sweet deal on a clearance one at Best Buy and it's on hold for me while I make sure it will run everything I want. My only concern is the low amount of memory, but if that can be upgraded, then no worries! Hoever MacBooks are sneaky so I'm having a hard time finding this out and the store isn't answering their phone yet.
Hopefully it's a MacBook Pro, and not a MacBook.
Also if it doesn't have an optical drive, then you can't upgrade the memory (RAM) nor storage (HDD). None of the laptop models from 2012 and later that were made without an optical drive have removable memory, and their hard drives are either non-standard or completely non-removable. Great if it has everything you need right out of the box, not so great if you were hoping to upgrade it later. I have found this website to be very useful when comparing different Macs.

--Patrick

So, went on a few dates with a gal from Tinder. Nice enough girl. Funny as hell. Like, many of the girls I've dated don't have the same kind of quick wit. But there wasn't much of a romantic connection.

And she felt that way, too, when she texted me after our second date tonight. So that was relieving. Mutual "you're okay, but not for me." Cool, no problem.

"So where's the rant, Nick?"

Well, the rant is that I found her Twitter. Found it a few days ago, really, when I googled her out of curiosity. And she tweeted a little about our previous date, how she enjoyed them, and looking forward to tonight.

She tweeted about tonight, basically talking shit about me. How I tried for a kiss at the end of both dates and it pisses her off that, despite that, I said there was no romantic connection. For me, the way to be absolutely sure is by kissing. But she took it the wrong way. She also took the "you can keep up with me, wit-wise" as "he thinks he has a better humour than me." Um. No, that's not what I was saying.

*sigh* I'm tempted to text her and say, "You know, I found you on Twitter, right?" But fuck it. It's not worth it. That's just going to create more unnecessary drama.

EDIT: Talked with a friend of mine about this privately. He said I probably dodged a bullet if she reacts like this.

EDIT 2: I am so goddamn sick of the dating game.

Last edited:
Grrr, feel bad posting this but we have a temp filling in while one of the techs is on secondment. Great guy but has no mechanical aptitude. Like literally none. Yesterday I had to show him how to reverse the direction of a ratchet! And he is so terrified he takes absolutely no basic initiative. He's like a computer, you have to tell him every step to take down to the smallest detail. And when he finishes a step he waits silently right next to you for the next instruction.

Grrr, feel bad posting this but we have a temp filling in while one of the techs is on secondment. Great guy but has no mechanical aptitude. Like literally none. Yesterday I had to show him how to reverse the direction of a ratchet!
...the fuck?

I am completely inept when it comes to tools and mechanical work, but even *I* know that. Geez.

Maybe in a year's time, when I'm no longer beholden to the WIDOC, I may tell some stories of the ineptitude of my employer.

Today was over the top. And that damn lawsuit is the primary reason.

Maybe in a year's time, when I'm no longer beholden to the WIDOC, I may tell some stories of the ineptitude of my employer.

Today was over the top. And that damn lawsuit is the primary reason.
Y'all are in the news occassionally.

More pepper spray fallout? Or solitary confinement abuses?

B

BErt

...it took me randomly fumbling through threads here that I've missed to even know that there was a new Wet Hot American Summer series :mad:

...4 episodes into this one, it's a lot better than the last.

...it took me randomly fumbling through threads here that I've missed to even know that there was a new Wet Hot American Summer series :mad:

...4 episodes into this one, it's a lot better than the last.
You're welcome. I mentioned it in two separate threads as a PSA :p

Though I didn't think this one was as good as the last one or the movie. Moving their lives away from camp made the story weirder. Not that it wasn't already weird, but this one got a bit too over the top for me. That being said, I still laughed a lot and will definitely be watching it again.

B

BErt

You're welcome. I mentioned it in two separate threads as a PSA :p

Though I didn't think this one was as good as the last one or the movie. Moving their lives away from camp made the story weirder. Not that it wasn't already weird, but this one got a bit too over the top for me. That being said, I still laughed a lot and will definitely be watching it again.
Maybe I'm not remembering the previous series, but that one seemed more removed from the camp than this one? Like I said, I'm only half way in, by this one seems way more in the tone of the movie than the first series. Which, I think we can at least agree, nether series will ever touch the movie for quality.

Oh, and thank you :p