Rant VIII: The Reckoning

There's still guests in the building, and the back office salaried people will still have some work left to wrap up, but I am the last hourly person still on staff until I clock out to go home in the morning.

I'm so sorry this is happening. You've been incredibly loyal and professional until the end. They don't deserve it. At all. I can't stress that enough. You need to put that on your resume and cover letter. It shows an incredible amount of maturity and professionalism and says so much about your character to go through what you have with them and still be there providing service until the end. To still care about what's happening with them at the end!!?!? Many people can say what they would have done or would have wanted to have done in a tough situation, but you have facts to back up what you're saying.

I know that's probably not super helpful at the moment, but I wanted to let you know.

Annnnnd... unemployed.

But, it's Saturday morning. I have the entire weekend to flip my schedule back to normal human time. I've still got what's left of the previous paycheck in the bank with a week to go until the next, plus I've filed with the state. No need to panic yet.

OTOH, I've got a cold. Dripping and coughing. So I can't quite enjoy that weekend as much as I'd like. :p

Looks like my grandpa is going to be dead soon. Doctors discussed it with my dad and uncle and they have/are about to turn off his pacemaker. He's been going downhill for the past few months so we all knew it was coming (I knew it whenever my dad told me the story of "He saw three Mexicans in his house and they were messing with Abe Lincoln so he shot them")

Dave

Staff member
That really sucks and I truly am sorry, but that last sentence reminds me how funny (in a tragic way) dementia can be. My mom not only consistently thinks she's 26 (which must be really weird if she sees a mirror) but she's always going on these adventures in her mind that are just nowhere to be found in her memories. Like the other day she was talking about serving food "down at the factory" for all the guys, but neither she nor my father ever worked anywhere near a factory. I haven't heard her shooting Mexicans who were bullying anyone let alone Lincoln, but her brain just pulls out the wackiest stuff.

Sometimes that's not dementia. Sometimes that's when older people aren't taking their medications properly, or are forgetting dosage.

My grandfather and his girlfriend (don't ask, long story) had a similar situation. They both ended up in a nursing home.

Sometimes that's not dementia. Sometimes that's when older people aren't taking their medications properly, or are forgetting dosage.

My grandfather and his girlfriend (don't ask, long story) had a similar situation. They both ended up in a nursing home.
Sometimes it's also just flat out not eating and drinking enough as well.

Still waiting on my Vive @Dave is probably tired of me talking about it. They told me even though they had to remake the ticket it should still be in the 7-10 business day window from the original ticket for the repair. Well that day was Friday and it wasn't shipped back. I talked to the guy again and he got the Vive people to contact me. Well they sent me an e-mail saying they would follow up with me on Monday. Well Monday came and went, Vive still not shipped out, follow up from them never came and now it's the 4th and I know I won't get any reply or any update today because of the holiday... Also today would be the 10th business day from when according to them it entered repair on the 2nd ticket (it took 3 days from when they made the 2nd ticket to when it was being "repaired" again for some reason. The 1st day they made the ticket, the 2nd day was "shipping" when they already had it, the 3rd day after they made the ticket it was at the service station for repair).

Diomedes hasn't been himself in the last few weeks. He's not eating as much, he seems really lethargic at times like moving slower and just laying on the floor (whereas he'd normally lay in a chair or bed).

I'm getting worried. I think it might stem from when he lost another incisor a short while ago. When I brought him in to the vet, they suggested dental surgery. Which would cost in the ballpark of $1,000. Obviously I can't afford that or whatever else he might need. I tried broaching the subject with Dad, but all he does is shrug and say, "Well, he's getting old."

I'm...thinking of posting something on GoFundMe. But I don't know if that will affect my recent re-application for income assistance. At this point, I don't think I care if it means extending the life of my best friend.

The not eating sounds like it could be related to the lack of teeth (assuming his mouth is not infected), but the rest doesn't. A domestic cat can survive just fine without canines since his food is being provided by you. I'd make sure he's still pooping, since a hairball or other obstruction can cause what you describe. I sure hope this isn't because of too much tuna. Where's @Enresshou when we need him?

--Patrick

The not eating sounds like it could be related to the lack of teeth (assuming his mouth is not infected), but the rest doesn't. A domestic cat can survive just fine without canines since his food is being provided by you. I'd make sure he's still pooping, since a hairball or other obstruction can cause what you describe. I sure hope this isn't because of too much tuna. Where's @Enresshou when we need him?

--Patrick
Oh goddammit, the only thing I feed him is canned cat food (Friskies) and it's always fish-based because he didn't seem to react well to chicken.

And he hasn't been using his litter that often. Some, but not much.

Fucking hell, I've been killing him and didn't know it.

Oh goddammit, the only thing I feed him is canned cat food (Friskies) and it's always fish-based because he didn't seem to react well to chicken.

And he hasn't been using his litter that often. Some, but not much.

Fucking hell, I've been killing him and didn't know it.
Don't panic yet, get a vet opinion if you can. Talk to them about setting up a payment plan, or possibly accepting donations in your name over the phone (I know of other vets who do this.)
Also, what vet do you go to?

Don't panic yet, get a vet opinion if you can. Talk to them about setting up a payment plan, or possibly accepting donations in your name over the phone (I know of other vets who do this.)
Also, what vet do you go to?
4 Paws Veterinarian Hospital.

And I was buying hypoallergenic canned food from them for awhile (something they recommended). But Christ, it's expensive. I thought just this stuff would be okay. I'll go buy some tomorrow. I made a YouCaring donation page but it's set to private for the moment. I need to enter my banking info and I don't have any cheques available with that info, so I need to go to the bank and get that. Another errand to run. I'm going to bed for now.[DOUBLEPOST=1499317307,1499317265][/DOUBLEPOST]
Huh? The article talks about how too much regular canned tuna is bad for cats. Fish-based cat food is designed around that.
Oh. Okay. Sorry. I'm tired and mildly panicky.

I wish I'd had this conversation with my last boss (the 2nd panel in particular). Current boss is good so far:
I've had a similar discussion when I was on nights:
Them: "Why does the evening person always get so much more done than you?"
Me: "Because he does all the easy stuff and leaves me all the hard stuff for overnight?"
Them: "..."

--Patrick

A colleague died this weekend. Friendly guy, super-smart, and young; in his mid-40s. I know he was married, but I don't think he had kids.

Life is unpredictable and can turn on a dime. Enjoy the good times folks.

Update:
We just found out that it was a suicide. God damn it. It turns out he was dealing with depression. Oh, folks please reach out. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed. Would you be ashamed to save someone else's life?

Last edited:
My sister is being treated in a completely discriminatory manner at her work and I am more furious about it than she is!!!

What they are doing to her is wrong and she doesn't seem too concerned. She's only recently gotten our disease and is already in remission so she's never faced this sort of thing before, so maybe that's why she's so laid back about it?

I want to be supportive because my parents are certainly not going to be, but I want to scream at her!!! This is wrong!!!

Mom is in the E.R. for the second time this week with chest pains. No sign of heart attack. Most likely a blockage issue. Her dad died a couple of years younger than she is now of heart failure.

In talking with a friend just now about my writing, I had a realization: I made more money selling one short story than both Dill books combined.

Almost all of my published short stories were for exposure or contributor copies. One story I sold to a nature magazine paid me $150.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if I added up all the royalty cheques I got from Dill, I don't think they'd add up to that.

God, that's depressing. But Dill never found his audience. And I never figured out where or how to promote properly to find that audience.

It's any wonder I've considered giving up on writing.

In talking with a friend just now about my writing, I had a realization: I made more money selling one short story than both Dill books combined.

Almost all of my published short stories were for exposure or contributor copies. One story I sold to a nature magazine paid me $150.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if I added up all the royalty cheques I got from Dill, I don't think they'd add up to that.

God, that's depressing. But Dill never found his audience. And I never figured out where or how to promote properly to find that audience.

Many famous writers started out with short stories as first published/successful ventures. They're more easily placed, more easily picked up, more easily taken a risk on. Who buys a book by a complete unknown unless it's gotten a lot of praise or exposure?

I know it happens that people suddenly explode onto the scene into the millions of dollars with their debut novel, but if you look at established authors, there's very few who got a "big break" right away. If that's what you were hoping for, you'd've been better off writing crappy romance novels (Twilight), crappy erotic novels (Grey), crappy popcorn fantasy (Eragon) instead of taking a risk and writing...Noir...detective...Alt-universe....superhero...scaly...pop culture referential...something and inventing a new genre ;) .

Dill hasn't found the audience I know exists for this sort of thing - it's a bit cult, and it's hard to get it out there to the right people. That doesn't mean it'll never be "the origin stories and first forays in storytelling acclaimed author X".

Many famous writers started out with short stories as first published/successful ventures. They're more easily placed, more easily picked up, more easily taken a risk on. Who buys a book by a complete unknown unless it's gotten a lot of praise or exposure?

I know it happens that people suddenly explode onto the scene into the millions of dollars with their debut novel, but if you look at established authors, there's very few who got a "big break" right away. If that's what you were hoping for, you'd've been better off writing crappy romance novels (Twilight), crappy erotic novels (Grey), crappy popcorn fantasy (Eragon) instead of taking a risk and writing...Noir...detective...Alt-universe....superhero...scaly...pop culture referential...something and inventing a new genre ;) .

Dill hasn't found the audience I know exists for this sort of thing - it's a bit cult, and it's hard to get it out there to the right people. That doesn't mean it'll never be "the origin stories and first forays in storytelling acclaimed author X".
Heh, I never expected Dill to sell millions or anything. Just...at least enough to give me some extra spending money, you know?

I haven't seen a single dime from The Dame was a Tad Polish.

Mom is in the E.R. for the second time this week with chest pains. No sign of heart attack. Most likely a blockage issue. Her dad died a couple of years younger than she is now of heart failure.
They checked for blockage and kept her overnight for observation. Still waiting to hear the results.

Shouldn't this suggest that you focus on short stories?

I mean, that's what Asimov did. Sure, he had a few novels but he was pumping out short stories from the start of his career to the end.

How were her enzymes?
They were apparently normal. EKG was normal. MRI results are not known yet. Doc thinks there might be some blockage in smaller veins that they can't detect. They've sent her home now. No real diagnosis as of yet. Doc suggested potential pleurisy. Scary to send home a person with on/off chest pains and pressure.

If it's not a heart attack, and the tests and charts are normal, there's no reason to keep her over a second night. It'd far more comfortable in your own house, eating your own food, and sleeping in your own bed. Especially without all the pads stuck to your chest and the IV thing in your arm. :p

How old is she if you don't mind me asking? I'm kind of surprised they'd send her home too.
66. Given the family history and her issues with triglyceride and blood pressure levels, I was surprised they couldn't give her a diagnosis.[DOUBLEPOST=1501101720,1501101673][/DOUBLEPOST]
If it's not a heart attack, and the tests and charts are normal, there's no reason to keep her over a second night. It'd far more comfortable in your own house, eating your own food, and sleeping in your own bed. Especially without all the pads stuck to your chest and the IV thing in your arm. :p
As you know, hospitals are the worst places to get better. :confused: