Rant VIII: The Reckoning

My mother fell last week. Broke the end off of one of her shoulder bones. Can't do anything for herself at this point. My father is not strong enough to help her in and out of her chair/bed. I have traded some time with my retired brother to take care of her through the weekend. I don't know what we are going to do until she can use a walker again. I am taking a couple of days off of work to nurse her through the weekend.

My mother fell last week. Broke the end off of one of her shoulder bones. Can't do anything for herself at this point. My father is not strong enough to help her in and out of her chair/bed. I have traded some time with my retired brother to take care of her through the weekend. I don't know what we are going to do until she can use a walker again. I am taking a couple of days off of work to nurse her through the weekend.
The hospital gave my mom a one-handed walker after her 2nd shoulder replacement surgery. Just want to be careful to switch back to a regular one when able. My mom was still having knee issues and the one sided walker made her overcompensate and caused extra hip pain. It went away almost as soon as she switched back to the full walker.

We also got her a lift chair that she uses instead of her old bed. It was too high for her to get in and out of with her bad knees and such. Check with their insurance to see what they will cover.

I am so frustrated with this college. First I have a professor who took a point off of my paper because she doesn't give perfect grades (I heard it directly from her mouth). She doesn't even teach this class! It's online. She's had no discussions. No groups. Nothing except a few emails with extra readings. I have no freaking clue what I'm doing. Yet, I feel like if I talk to the acting-head of the department I'm setting myself up for serious consequences.

Then I take a midterm for another class and the scoring is wrong (150 point total, 50 questions...2 points each? My 96/150 is a failing grade though I got only 2 wrong). I cannot be the only person who noticed this in a week.

The class I like now has a shit-ton of work due by Tuesday, then two days after spring break is over there's a group paper and presentation due. That's just painful. Especially since my break and my kids' spring break are not concurrent. (This is more of a whine compared with the other two issues.)

I tried to transfer to another school because this social work department is a total disaster. They stopped accepting MSW applications on Feb 1 and are not accepting more.

I want to scream.

Dave

Staff member
Call or contact your professor about the 2 wrong thing. That's basic math gone bad. It may be a simple mistake. If he/she refuses to fix it, then go to the Dean. Let them know that with two wrong your grade should be 144 unless the two you missed were weighted in an unGODly manner.

Call or contact your professor about the 2 wrong thing. That's basic math gone bad. It may be a simple mistake. If he/she refuses to fix it, then go to the Dean. Let them know that with two wrong your grade should be 144 unless the two you missed were weighted in an unGODly manner.
I contacted him and I'm waiting to hear back.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Shortly after this our office admin/accountant blew up at another employee. This wasn't the first time, but it was the last and they were fired that evening, and the locks changed the next day (and security rented for a few days) because of the nature of the angry tirade.
And today I received word that someone has filed for unemployment on my behalf. I have yet to determine where the checks are being sent, but she's probably the only one that could have and would have done it.

So she has stolen my identity.

Which is going to cause me, personally, a lot of pain as I work through the process of protecting myself from further attacks, checking out my credit report, putting fraud alerts on various accounts that could be connected to my social security number, contacting the police and filing a report, etc, etc, etc. This list I'm following seems to be a good start.

Yet I still feel sorry for her. This will cause me inconvenience, but she is ruining her life.

My cat, Batmanuel, just can't catch a break. First his autoimmune disease nearly kills him when he was 4, now that he is eight he is losing weight and the vet thinks it may be cancer. I'm still not ready to come to terms with it and I'm hoping it's something like hyperthyroidism, which we can treat with pills.

I love my little guy, and he spends all his time with me when I am home. I just don't think I'm ready for him to go :(

Tore both my ACL and NCL.

Will be going under the knife next Tuesday.

Hoping I don't get MRSA or Staph or something like that.

EVERYTHING HURTS.

I WROTE N BUT MEANT M!

FUCK!

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I tripped.

Fucking literally.

More specifically, I was jogging with a friend and passed someone on a trail and tripped in a hole in the ground I didn't notice.
Jogging kills. Hope you get better. Will this affect your job at all? Desk duty for a while?

And now Windows 10 has informed me that it's going to automatically be installing itself in 50 minutes.

Can this day get worse!

Have been attempting to get hired on by another department near Atlanta. Closer to home, in the middle of several groups of friends, better pay, generally planning out the rest of my career on this move.

But some of the items that they were needing from me, I wasn't able to obtain through my department. Like some training records - the training unit said that they didn't keep track of what was being requested.

Just received notification yesterday that I can't proceed with the hiring, and have to wait a year to reapply.

Yes, I'm just a touch salty about this.

Well, X Ray doesn't indicate cancer, but it is very hard to tell due to how thin he is. Blood work should be done tomorrow so we will know then what needs to be done.

Apparently he was so upset he crapped on the Vet, which is hilarious since I find her super annoying.

Well, X Ray doesn't indicate cancer, but it is very hard to tell due to how thin he is. Blood work should be done tomorrow so we will know then what needs to be done.

Apparently he was so upset he crapped on the Vet, which is hilarious since I find her super annoying.
If they don't find anything, make sure they check for addisons disease. I've found vets don't like even trying to diagnose it.

@Krisken If your cat is drinking water still, he probably does not have Addisons. My dog has this... the big thing is they completely stop drinking water.
It depends on how bad it's gotten. They won't always stop drinking completely. My dog had it for years until it got that bad. It's at that point he was finally diagnosed with it.

Last edited:
A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm only posting this anonymously because I never know what people will google. This is no real secret, I share a name with an american horror novelist as well as ghosts from legend of zelda.

Awhile ago, I got a promotion at work, and have found myself with a lot more responsibility. It was kind of a rushed promotion, because the prior person was terrible and didn't do her job, and was fired. So I had to hit the ground running, and never even received any training in the position, having to learn as I go along, and slowly put out all the fires the previous person had left burning.

Now I've discovered that there was apparently another matter, that I knew nothing about, that was vital to be completed and is now very, very, very overdue and out of date. This is something that was never even communicated to me, something I didn't even know existed, and now I'm being threatened with termination for having not done this thing.

I'm starting to feel a bit like a sacrificial goat.

Dave

Staff member
When I was at a job at an insurance place that I won't mention but is very close to Grue Class Grue Field I worked in close proximity with another person that was going on vacation. I worked in QA so we had implementation schedules after testing, usually on a Saturday. So we all came in and something was immediately wrong. We looked into the issue and discovered that there was a workaround that would be a temporary fix, but this would allow us to implement and give us time to find a solution. The managers and I talked it over and decided this was the best course of action. So that's what we did.

Monday I get called into a meeting and MY manager - a new manager whom I HATED - asked me why we did what we did. I laid everything out and that was the end of it. Next day the person I worked with came back. Then I got called into another meeting...and got written up. Why? Because the person who went on vacation knew about the issue and was supposed to pass it along. She admits that she didn't, but my manager said I should have known it was going to happen. How and why meant nothing.So what happened to the person I worked with that didn't pass along this vital information? Not a damned thing. Oh, and the two were friends who went to lunch together. I refused to sign the write-up and took it to HR but they refused to get involved. The next month I got my profit sharing, my vacation rolled over, and I got my financial aid from school. I put in my 2 weeks notice and since I worked in sensitive systems they immediately walked me out the door. Which I knew they would do. That also means that they had to pay me for two weeks of salary. You should have seen the look on her face. At my exit interview I brought up the incident (and one other similar thing) and that I refused to work in a hostile environment and if they didn't want to lose more people they'd better grow a pair and actually help the employees like they were supposed to.

10 years at that company down the drain.

I'm only posting this anonymously because I never know what people will google. This is no real secret, I share a name with an american horror novelist as well as ghosts from legend of zelda.

Awhile ago, I got a promotion at work, and have found myself with a lot more responsibility. It was kind of a rushed promotion, because the prior person was terrible and didn't do her job, and was fired. So I had to hit the ground running, and never even received any training in the position, having to learn as I go along, and slowly put out all the fires the previous person had left burning.

Now I've discovered that there was apparently another matter, that I knew nothing about, that was vital to be completed and is now very, very, very overdue and out of date. This is something that was never even communicated to me, something I didn't even know existed, and now I'm being threatened with termination for having not done this thing.

I'm starting to feel a bit like a sacrificial goat.
Holy crap if you also mentioned that you were also doing the job of your immediate supervisor (whose position was vacant for 4 months) and division manager (who was on vacation for several weeks), and you were in the US Navy at the time when this all happened, I would swear we were married! Seriously this story is all too familiar. They abused the crap out of him including removing him from having the responsibilities despite doing his job as effectively as they would allow him to do it. They got away with it because it's the military. I hope you can find a resolution.

I am in a great deal of pain. I can't wait for Tuesday to come so I can be in post surgical pain. Then I can't wait for the rehab pain. THEN, I can't wait for my knee to never be as good as it was ever again.

Don't jog.