Rant V - The Drama Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but what I wanted was a Blu-Ray player. And when I say XBox, I'm talking old school Xbox, not yer new fangled 360. Damned kids.

Fun Size said:
Mostly, I'm * that after making my decision, something happened that might have changed it.
Sounds like even in hindsight it didn't change it, though, and if anything would have simply made the decision harder to make.

So, in fact, they did you a favor by waiting until you made your purchase to change the price.

:tongue:

-Adam

stienman said:
Fun Size said:
Mostly, I'm * that after making my decision, something happened that might have changed it.
Sounds like even in hindsight it didn't change it, though, and if anything would have simply made the decision harder to make.

So, in fact, they did you a favor by waiting until you made your purchase to change the price.

:tongue:

-Adam
Dammit Steinman, I'm ranting here. Don't interject logic or reason into this.

Caution: Stand clear 15 feet. This rant may expand unexpectedly.

Got to work and coworker, who is doing the food bank interviews today, is late. Again, she has an excuse, but this one was pretty flimsy (traffic and detours sent her down two dead ends?). I made it clear that I didn't care, and was upset that she was a half hour late, which affects the opening time of the food bank.

Then, the first client takes far too much food. They were collecting for themselves and one other, so the hamper was just short of two bags. I handed her the part-filled bag so that she could pick from the extras shelf*. The idea is to take a few items from that shelf and then move on. She ended up with five bags of groceries: more than twice the amount that we set out to give her. She had so much that she couldn't carry it all, and then asked me to watch her fifth bag as she walked home with the other four. I said I couldn't garuentee the safety of her bag, but she was free to leave it.

We need to reevaluate the extras shelf. A lot of people are taking a lot more than they should, but I don't have the time or patience to stand by it and make sure that everybody only takes x number of items.

I hate when people abuse this system. Let me tell you kids, I like my job, but compassion fatigue is a real thing.

::Continued::

To food bank clients: do not enter the food room. I will bring your hamper out to you. If you enter the food room brazenly and ask for specific items, you will be sorely disappointed. If you haltingly, hesitatingly, humbly ask if we have something from out in the hall, I will probably offer you more than you asked for.

Also, to the quiet lady with the russian accent: I'm sorry I kicked your kid. She's very short, and while I'm carrying boxes sometimes I can't see where I'm going very well. I hope the extra cookies will make up for it.

* - Extras shelf is a metal rack on which we put the foods that not everyone likes or uses (like chickpeas, strange sauces, bags of uncooked beans etc.) and the things that we don't get enough of to put in every hamper (jams, cake mixes, ketchup, etc.)

M

Mr_Chaz

Finally got a job! But it pays significantly less than half of what I would get if I was actually in my industry, so that sucks complete and utter donkey balls.

Rob King said:
Also, to the quiet lady with the russian accent: I'm sorry I kicked your kid. She's very short, and while I'm carrying boxes sometimes I can't see where I'm going very well. I hope the extra cookies will make up for it.
:aaahhh:

Jesus, sounds like you should've given the kid a "Caution: Stand clear 15 feet" warning.

I'm sick with the worst cold I've ever had. I sneeze so hard I leak tears from my eyes and can't really do anything without leaking from my nose. Hell, at one point it was so bad I just let the snot soak into my shirt.

P

Philosopher B.

Giant bottles of shit sauce. My wrist is effing killing me after all of the drawing and tying it has endured lately. Urrrggg.

Garbledina said:
Rob King said:
:aaahhh:

Jesus, sounds like you should've given the kid a "Caution: Stand clear 15 feet" warning.
I've knocked that kid over like ... three times in the last year. Last time they were here, the mother fell over a step.

I think they might be descended from bowling pins.

DarkAudit said:
Found ANOTHER yellowjacket nest in my yard while mowing. Enough is enough.
Had 4 of those in my carport area when I moved into the place we're staying at now. Used our homebrew blowtorch to take care of that little issue. Only had about 2-3 reoccurances in 2 years.

I'm going to have to start going to a new games store since my local GameStop has hired possibly the most incompotent and unlikeable person ever and they leave him in charge of the store alone for hours on end. I don't think I've even seen anybody else at the counter the last 6 times I've gone in.

Yesterday for example I stopped in to buy a few games. I grab the boxes and bring them up to the counter where I put them down and wait until he finishes whatever he's doing and comes over to ring me out. Well he finishes up and then just stares at me. No asking if I'm ready to be rung up, no asking if I found everything okay just staring at me until I finally ask him if he can ring up my purchases.

Now that's just a little odd but nothing worthy of boycotting the entire store. But as he's scanning the bar codes the store phone rings. He drops what he's doing and starts talking on the phone only not bothering to complete my purchase or look for the games no he kinda paces and mumbles into the phone while I'm standing there credit card out hoping against hope that he will see me with my payment method out and take steps to allow me the pleasure of transferring my money to the store's account.

Of course he doesn't he glances at me a few times but doesn't take a single step to help me. The conversation goes on and on for at least 7 minutes. In which time another group of people have entered the store waited for him to address them and left in disgust over the amount of time it is taking. Then when he finally gets off the phone he finishes scanning my games without a single word of apology like he didn't just waste my time with that bullshit and starts to look for the innards of the boxes which again takes far far more time than it should as he checks each box at least twice.

So what was meant to be a quick 5 minute grab turned into a 20 minute debacle because of this guy who says absolutely nothing during the entire thing. Not a single word.

Dub, Cut -n- Paste and email the Retail company. No retailer wants a crap employee.

Honestly, I'd waited until he was off the phone and tell him to put those boxes back on the shelf.

Seriously, GameStop is harsh on bad critisim recieved. The Area Director will get an email/phone call, then the General Manager. After that, it's some serious chewing out.

L

Lally

:tear:

I've always had trouble losing weight, and I've been trying so hard, I already feel completely hideous on my own and yet I keep being reminded that I said I would be at my goal a long time ago and I'm not yet. I don't know what else I can do. I'm watching what I eat except for special occasions and I'm exercising almost every day and it's still going so slow. I can't make it go any faster. I can't help it that it's so slow. :waah:

Damn it, work, let my girlfriend go home on time so she's not completely burned out and we can see each other! Not cool, work! Not cool at all. :slap:

Also, I split my pants, goddamn it. Nobody noticed, but it was still uncomfortable.

My best friend dumped me when he got a girlfriend because she didn't like/trust me even though we have never met.
He's on vacation with her in Hungary.
I hope they're having lots of rain :twisted:

@Lally. Did you check if there are medical factors slowing down your weight loss? Also, first it goes fast...then slow as hell.
And I admire you for doing something about your weight. I can't get myself to that point yet.

Finally registered for classes. I'm taking two general electives, one of the last classes I need for my minor and my last science class. If everything goes my way, I can graduate in May, and in a worst case scenario I graduate next summer.

It's nice to see the end in sight.

L

Lally

Poftoffel said:
@Lally. Did you check if there are medical factors slowing down your weight loss? Also, first it goes fast...then slow as hell.
And I admire you for doing something about your weight. I can't get myself to that point yet.
I appreciate it. :) I don't have health insurance, so I haven't been to the doctor in a really long time, but I'm 100% sure my weight is my own doing. My weight trouble started when I got hurt playing softball in high school and I sat on my butt as much as possible for a few months... when I worked a retail job walking around all the time I shed the weight, but then I got a job working in a call center, sitting on my butt and eating for 40 hours a week, and on top of that I was going through a lot of rough family stuff, and did a lot of comfort eating. I gained a LOT of weight (I mean a LOT), and I have spent the last three years trying to lose it. From the summer of 2006 until this past winter I lost about 100 pounds, and then (once again) some crappy family stuff happened and I got derailed from my weight loss plan and gained about 35 back in like 6 months. So I decided rather than let myself gain it all back I was going to get back on the right track, which I did in June, but it's coming off so slowly, and I just get really frustrated. And then I get really down on myself for letting myself get in the situation in the first place, and it's a crappy cycle.

Lally said:
:tear:

I've always had trouble losing weight, and I've been trying so hard, I already feel completely hideous on my own and yet I keep being reminded that I said I would be at my goal a long time ago and I'm not yet. I don't know what else I can do. I'm watching what I eat except for special occasions and I'm exercising almost every day and it's still going so slow. I can't make it go any faster. I can't help it that it's so slow. :waah:
Poftoffel has a point Lally. For example: I have hypothyroid, I gain calories at 2x the rate of normal people and lose it 2x slower. I've only managed to stay at my healthy weights by really cutting my food portions into 4 small meals a day instead of 2-3 large ones (even if they're health food) and exercising 2x a day (once in the morning before work and once after). Mostly doing fat burn exercises and routines over toning and strength.

L

Lally

Shegokigo said:
I gain calories at 2x the rate of normal people and lose it 2x slower.
That actually pretty much sounds exactly like me. :bush: Maybe it's just a self-esteem thing, but I always assumed it was my own fault. Hm. Maybe once I have health insurance again I'll get it checked out. Do you find yourself having any other symptoms as a result of it besides trouble with your weight?

I know your pain Lally. I actually mentioned it here in the old thread, but I spent a year doing some serious dieting but didn't lost anything. The 7/30 post on my Tumblr has the transcript of the post. I really don't have any advice except don't feel bad... at least you know if you lost any weight. I'll be left in the dark for awhile yet on whether mine is working or not.

L

Lally

AshburnerX said:
I know your pain Lally. I actually mentioned it here in the old thread, but I spent a year doing some serious dieting but didn't lost anything. The 7/30 post on my Tumblr has the transcript of the post. I really don't have any advice except don't feel bad... at least you know if you lost any weight. I'll be left in the dark for awhile yet on whether mine is working or not.
I actually remember you posting that... a similar thing happened to me when I first started dieting a few years ago. I had been dieting and thinking I was doing great and then I weighed myself on a different scale it and it was so much heavier (like 30 pounds heavier). We ended up figuring out that the scale I had been using was broken (everyone was weighing lighter on it), but it was still really disheartening when it happened. I hope you figure out what's going on with your weight loss soon.

Lally said:
I appreciate it. :) I don't have health insurance, so I haven't been to the doctor in a really long time, but I'm 100% sure my weight is my own doing. My weight trouble started when I got hurt playing softball in high school and I sat on my butt as much as possible for a few months... when I worked a retail job walking around all the time I shed the weight, but then I got a job working in a call center, sitting on my butt and eating for 40 hours a week, and on top of that I was going through a lot of rough family stuff, and did a lot of comfort eating. I gained a LOT of weight (I mean a LOT), and I have spent the last three years trying to lose it. From the summer of 2006 until this past winter I lost about 100 pounds, and then (once again) some crappy family stuff happened and I got derailed from my weight loss plan and gained about 35 back in like 6 months. So I decided rather than let myself gain it all back I was going to get back on the right track, which I did in June, but it's coming off so slowly, and I just get really frustrated. And then I get really down on myself for letting myself get in the situation in the first place, and it's a crappy cycle.
But there's still 65 pounds that's already gone! Wow! And don't let the past hold you down, I know what that's like. It's gone and it shouldn't spoil the new days! And you're still doing something about your situation, that's great.
(And you are not your weight. I really hate the way the world tries to force that upon people.)
I sound like Dr.Phil, but I really mean it!

@Shegokigo. Hypothyroid! That's what I was looking for. It runs in my family so usually when I hear people talk about slow weight loss I think of that. I don't have it myself, but I saw what a struggle it was for my grandma.

Lally said:
Shegokigo said:
That actually pretty much sounds exactly like me. :bush: Maybe it's just a self-esteem thing, but I always assumed it was my own fault. Hm. Maybe once I have health insurance again I'll get it checked out. Do you find yourself having any other symptoms as a result of it besides trouble with your weight?
http://www.cushings-help.com/images/thyroid1.jpg

That's pretty accurate.

L

Lally

Shegokigo said:
Lally said:
Shegokigo said:
http://www.cushings-help.com/images/thyroid1.jpg

That's pretty accurate.
Ahhh, thanks for the link. I'll probably still get myself checked out when I get insurance again but I doubt it's my thyroid. The only thing I can claim from that list is weight gain. And maybe forgetfulness. haha.

My roommates and I were having a friend over tonight to get drunk and say goodbye to the summer, but there's a fucking huge storm outside, we're under severe tornado warning, my one roommate is still in Toronto with his girlfriend, my other is still at HIS girlfriend's place, and our friend is in Hamilton.

I don't think I get to drink tonight. :humph:

To the people losing weight: good luck, and stick to it. Go you!
To Lally specifically: hey, you don't look that bad in the pictures :-P Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And, if and when you can, try to get some (semi-)professional help to balance things out. Sometimes it's weird things you aren't even minding that can have a huge effect; or you mgiht actually be doing things working at cross purposes (certain types of exercise come to mind - whenever I start exercising I gain weight instead of losing it. Lucky I'm not exactly overweight, I'd never have the will power to actualyl get anything off again). With even just one or two times seeing someone to work out a better exercise plan and/or dieting solution (I'm very much against strict dieting, and in favour of changing small things about habits, it mgiht be me), you might be able to get more/better results with less or equal time/money/denying-yourself-fun-stuff/whatever investment.

Damn cows. I'm watching my parents scottish highlanders and they keep pushing through the damn fence. Today they were about a half mile down the road. There's nothing like trying to chase a big ass bull with horns as long as your arm with a 4-wheeler. I don't think I would last very long if he decided to turn on me. One was missing for a couple hours, but magically showed up when I finally gave up looking. I think I have them fenced off in a good enough area now. Those bastards will push through anything though. Gotta get that electric fence working again.

Cajungal

Staff member
Rant thread: The new rantness

I couldn't find a non-locked rant thread. Still getting used to it here, so sorry if I overlooked one.

My mom has degenerative disc disease. She just found out this morning. :( Fortunately, it's very treatable. She's just pissed about it. The thought of anything slowing her down makes her very upset. I hate thinking about my parents getting older, but I especially hate to think about mom slowing down. She's the glue of this family--and not just the immediate family. She's a mother to her dead sister's kids, and she's a mom to half of my friends.

Also, the fellow lost his wallet.

Crappy feelings all around on this, the first day of the fall semester. On a much lesser note, I might have to take a class I thought I could get out of, but that's the last thing on my mind.

Dave

Staff member
I'm home sick today and doing more work for here and there than I ever do when I go into the office.

The 10:30 appointment that I had this morning was canceled as I was about to leave the house.

So, I could have been at work, making some moolah.

Instead, I'm here, tearing the place apart looking for my copy of Okami for the Wii.

At the very least I could still be asleep if they'd bothered to call earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.