RANT IV - A New Angst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever done scene security for a crime? This is what it entails.

You sit in your squad car and play your gameboy for 8 hours while plain clothes major crimes guys do the actual work.

Fuck yesterday was boring. I'm so behind on paperwork, that was like 20 reports and files I could have closed.

Ugh.

I don't think I'm going to be making enough money to stay here much longer.

I've been thinking about moving home the last couple weeks anyway, but I might not have a choice in the next couple months if I don't start getting a shitload of hours.

Not much luck pushing for more hours, no way I'll get a second job out here. Got a lot to think about. Might be time to pack it in and head home.

-- Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 pm --

Also I've been looking at loldogs for about 15 minutes now and miss my pups. :(

(the following applies to nobody here at Halforum. or my husband.)

WILL YOU PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE NOW KKTHXBAI

that means FUCK. OFF.

*takes a deep breath*

FUUUCK YOOOU ABBEY NATIONAL :explode:

one bloody month ago i order a new card, because the old one expired. i have to order one, because the bank didnt actually SEND me one, as they are supposed to do two weeks before the card expired.
'there, its been ordered. should arrive within 7-10 working days'
cut to A MONTH LATER. and no card is forthcoming. even after i've asked them if everythings in order and its been sent. 'oh yes, its been ordered and sent. maybe its because of the postal strike'.
and now its 'odd. you haven't been receiving any post from us because theres a hold on your account for mail. nothings being sent out to you.'
me: :angry: why did you not tell me the four times i've been in here checking up on my card?! i even rang your goddamn customer support number to check!
them: uh... i dunno. we've ordered you another card. it should be arriving in 7 to 10 working days. again.
me: :explode:

CynicismKills said:
And now I've just gotten my first "hey we don't need you to work today" call. Fuck.
My dad's company is doing this with everyone right now in order to save costs. There really isn't much you can do.

Gared said:
What kind of work do you do?
I work at a deli chain. It sucks 'cause I just spent 4 months looking for a job and was told I'd be getting 30+ hours a week. Currently I've been getting 20 hours and if I don't get more than I'm going to be moving back home.

CynicismKills said:
Gared said:
What kind of work do you do?
I work at a deli chain. It sucks 'cause I just spent 4 months looking for a job and was told I'd be getting 30+ hours a week. Currently I've been getting 20 hours and if I don't get more than I'm going to be moving back home.
Maybe you could start selling all those hamburgers your sig gif keeps tossing at me. I mean, I appreciate the gesture and all, and I love hamburgers, but a new hamburger every second is more than I can use...

-Adam

W

Wasabi Poptart

I love my mom for coming out to help us, but sweet baby Jesus she is making me bat shit CRAZY.

WildSoul said:
I love my mom for coming out to help us, but sweet baby Jesus she is making me bat shit CRAZY.
Oh moms ...

My mom is actually pretty good. Very little crazy in her. But man does she keep a clean house, and she expects me to keep the guest room immaculate while I visit. I can do tidy, but not immaculate. And thus, we argue several times every time I go home.

WildSoul said:
My wife was close to never speaking to my mom again each time she came to help with the newborns. My mom is really great, but tends to want to hold the babies all the time instead of helping with the cooking and cleaning she offers.

"Mom, the baby is crying. He's hungry, give him up."
"Okay, just a second."
"Mom!"
"Alright, I'll rock him for a second and..."
"MOM!"

And like all moms, she's ever so full of helpful "advice". Luckily, my grandmother is still hale and hearty at 80 and helps out a ton whenever they visit.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Jake said:
"Mom, the baby is crying. He's hungry, give him up."
"Okay, just a second."
"Mom!"
"Alright, I'll rock him for a second and..."
"MOM!"

And like all moms, she's ever so full of helpful "advice".
This is my mom and my mother-in-law together. Both would rather hold the baby than give her to me when she's hungry. My mother-in-law is full of "advice" which is mostly old wives tales. My mom just likes to tell me how things were 37 years ago when I was born. At least my mom is good about helping with cooking and asks me if I want her to do some cleaning. My mother-in-law holds the baby and that's it.

Roommates are doing it in the room above me. For a couple that sleep in the same bed, they sure have an unhealthily stagnant sex life. I'm almost happy that they're getting it on.

I'd be happier if I didn't know any of these things, of course ...

Rob King said:
Roommates are doing it in the room above me. For a couple that sleep in the same bed, they sure have an unhealthily stagnant sex life. I'm almost happy that they're getting it on.

I'd be happier if I didn't know any of these things, of course ...
My roommate's room is adjacent to where our computers are. He and his gf do have a healthy sex life. They're also very, very loud.

I spaced out a DJ meeting tonight. I was supposed to meet a bride and her dad for a gig interview. I mean, I'll probably be out that night anyway, but I fricking hate it when I forget things like that.

I had an interesting day at work today. I had a high-pressure presentation to give to the VPs and Directors. I knocked it out of the park, but I grabbed dinner came home & crashed. Fuck.

S

Scarlet Varlet

John Hughes gone. No more angstsy films :(

Well, he hadn't done one in years and I'm well past my teens, still. Not likely there will now be a tastefully done follow-up to Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

ARGH WHY DID I NOT TAKE THESE TWO WEEKS OFF WORK I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF WITH STRESS

Right well I'm going to go back to learning what types of medications an EMR is qualified to give, while trying to do my actual job and trying to not crazy.

Hffffflllllllbbbbbgggggggggggggggggg.

If you never hear from me again, the combined stress of work and course caused my untimely demise.

So, tonight I decided I was going to put the finishing touches on a short story I've been working on. It's fairly close to being all typed out and to a level that I'm happy with for sending-to-friends-and-family-for-proofreading purposes.

I got a bit derailed with all the talk about Star Wars on the forum. It inspired me to put the Empire Strikes Back DVD in my computer. You know. For later.

2 glorious hours later, and it's pretty late. But I slept in this morning, so I won't be ready for bed for another few hours yet. I open up Open Office and look it over. Surf the web a bit more, and then realize I'm flipping hungry.

I head upstairs with my computer, so I can type in between various stages of my cooking. Manage to get together enough materials to assemble a grilled cheese sandwich. While that's in the pan, I start typing ...

... a film-noir treatment of my trip upstairs to get a grilled cheese flipping sandwich.

:Leyla:

What the hell is wrong with me? Now I have another retarded note on Facebook which, while I'm quite proud of it, is not really much of a step toward getting my shit together. And it's not even like it would have been hard work to finish my other story. It would take like, a thousand words more tops, and I already have the conclusion written in my head. All I have to do is hit the appropriate buttons at the appropriate times on my keyboard.

I understood procrastinating when it was a paper for university, or some assignment or another, but this is something I enjoy, and something that I'd like to get done.

And then I look at my bookshelf and get angry at all the writers who have their shit together. I want to be one of them :(

A

Aisaku

My work got laughed at by someone I only know online. Someone who's completely superior artistically complimented some doodles I did. For some reason I keep getting the idea that I just keep indulging myself and not really get anywhere near being pro in illustration. :explode:

Aisaku said:
My work got laughed at by someone I only know online. Someone who's completely superior artistically complimented some doodles I did. For some reason I keep getting the idea that I just keep indulging myself and not really get anywhere near being pro in illustration. :explode:
Unless you have some reason to add weight the opinion of the online person, I'd say take the compliment more seriously. I received some criticism by a stranger for something I put out there a while back, and I have to admit it was somewhat crushing. It wasn't rude or anything, but I was really hoping that people would like it.

After a bit, I came to terms with the fact that it was only the one guy who had actually been critical, and I had no real reason to give his opinion that much weight. He didn't like it, and that was his right. But one of several is hardly a damning prognosis!

Cajungal

Staff member
Some asshole has been telling Honors College hopefuls who hadn't even applied for housing yet that they can be immediately placed when we're completely full. I've gotten three calls in the past 2 days from parents saying that "someone important"--then they drop a name I can't remember, probably the head of the honors college, said that their kid seemed really great and can get into the college no problem-- "He said we just had to call this number and we could get in."

Of course, when I explain that our waiting list is over 300 names long, they get mad... not at me but at the other person. I feel bad for them, really. It doesn't make my job more difficult; it's just a really dick move to make people think you can use your power to help some kid jump an extremely long, first-come-first serve list.

One father who called knew his son wanted to come to LSU more than any other school (why I have no clue...), so he canceled his registration at some school up north because this person had given them the impression that they were guaranteed housing here. Now they have no college for the fall, because they don't have enough money to live in any of the near-campus apartments. It was dumb for him to cancel before confirming that it was true, and there's nothing I can do about that. But damnit, that's just not cool. The other two callers were fine with finding off-campus housing, so no real harm done, I guess... Still, if I get one more call like this, I'm telling my boss.

Rob King said:
And then I look at my bookshelf and get angry at all the writers who have their shit together. I want to be one of them :(
Don't worry too much. Plenty of "big" writers had similar problems. Comes from being imaginative and all that, wanting to do a thousand different things when the right idea pops in. Sticking to one can be hard sometimes. Heck, look at GRR Martin, he's been putting off his last book for how long for side projects?
As long as you're not just blocking yourself from writing at all (as in, doing the dishes a 7th time a day) but are still creatively busy, ehh. It'll get done.
Just don't never finish anything, either, or you'll become the Kurtz of short stories :-P

L

Lally

Rob King said:
And then I look at my bookshelf and get angry at all the writers who have their poop together. I want to be one of them :(
I think this exact thought on a daily basis. :tear: My whole life, until the past two or three years, I never thought I'd do anything for a career other than writing. Now, with nothing significant complete and no writing gigs available, I feel hopeless. The older I get, the more I feel I'm never going to actually publish anything.

HOLY CRAP.
Just had a lady order a large white mocha for her and one for her daughter.
The woman was pregnant and the little girl was about 5.
I warned her that our drinks are very strong, stronger than a lot of place around here so there was TONS of caffeine in them.
She just smiled and said, great!

That kid is gonna go NUTS!. Maybe I missed it but I thought when you were preggers you were supposed to limit your caffeine intake? And is this whole giving tiny little kids giant coffee drinks normal somewhere I never see adults giving their kids that much caffeine.

Also: The lady right after her? Tells her friend: "I don't tip, it's just a policy I have". :facepalm:

When my brother was little, we used to pack coffee in his thermos for lunch because for ADD kids caffeine has the opposite effect. Instead of making him hyper, it would actually calm him. And it had less side effects than the Ritalin he was on.

As someone with ADD, I can tell you that that only works in SMALL doses of Caffeine or if you don't have a high energy level normally. Otherwise it's just as bad, if not worse, as another other kid on a stimulant.

The wedding that I didn't get invited to, but then was asked to fill an empty seat for was everything I feared.

I have come to terms with the fact that I'm not hip. I was the youngest guest not on the dance floor by about a decade and a half. I gave it an honest go, but I just ... I don't dance. I blame it on my upbringing, but it doesn't offend me so much that I intend to go out and fix it. I just don't.

I'm also okay with being a bachelor on a normal day. I walk around town and see couples, and just shrug at this point. I don't need anybody in my life. But when I show up to a wedding, all I can think is how awesome it would be to have a relationship like that. It'll pass by morning, but it does inspire melancholy when it hits.

Ex-girlfriend and girl-I-was-smitten-with-and-dissed-by drama was okay, mostly because neither made much effort to interact with me the whole night. It's to be expected, and maybe they thought it was the best course of action at their friend's wedding, but it hurts me that we can't all be grown up about this.

All in all it was a decent evening. And I'm glad I got to see my friends married. But the realization that no matter how charismatic I am, I will never be hip enough, and the fact that I'm currently alone, not to mention the fact that everyone I've built relationships with over the last two years seem to be children, and it's enough to drag you down a bit.

Oh well. One more wedding down. One left before the end of the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.