RANT IV - A New Angst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yikes, TN...a week isn't that unusual even for a normally regular person, so don't panic just yet. But I do hope it works out okay. That does sound like a potentially rough situation.

B

Batdan

Edrondol said:
Jake said:
Don't discount immaculate conception.
Discount immaculate conception is the BEST kind of immaculate conception.
I always trust the quality of the name brand immaculate conception myself. Sam's Choice just ain't cutting it for me.

CynicismKills said:
Yeah, the problem here is she wants to marry another Mormon, big temple wedding and all that.
You should try it sometime! I can get the missionaries over there and everything!

:heythere:

-Adam

stienman said:
CynicismKills said:
Yeah, the problem here is she wants to marry another Mormon, big temple wedding and all that.
You should try it sometime! I can get the missionaries over there and everything!

-Adam
Heh, it's like I said in the last post, she's awesome enough that if it was good enough for her I'd convert. I worry that it'd be like, stupid creepy though.

CynicismKills said:
stienman said:
CynicismKills said:

-Adam
Heh, it's like I said in the last post, she's awesome enough that if it was good enough for her I'd convert. I worry that it'd be like, stupid creepy though.
I've known many Mormons in my life. I grew up in the midst of a large Mormon community, actually. From what they've told me, it's a lot more common than you think. I don't think it's necessarily creepy. If you truly believe that you can commit to a new faith, I think you should consider doing it.

CynicismKills said:
I would be really, really surprised if she found it creepy. Really surprised. There's no stigma of being a convert either - if she likes you, and you are eventually able to give her the temple wedding, chances are good she would be perfectly happy with that.

But all that aside, she would likely be pretty enthusiastic if you told her you wanted to talk to the missionaries. They have several lessons, take about an hour each time, tell you about our beliefs, answer your questions, and give you the opportunity to join if you choose to do so. You can stop at any time, and chances are good your relationship with her wouldn't change. If nothing else it would give you a very good idea of what her beliefs are beyond what you already know.

Unless she's a psycho chick, then you're hosed no matter what you do. :rofl:

But yeah, if you are even slightly interested in learning more, she won't find it creepy or odd - she'll just think she's being a good Mormon doing missionary work.

Feel free to tell her you've got an inside man on the intertron. :ninja:

-Adam

stienman said:
CynicismKills said:
I would be really, really surprised if she found it creepy. Really surprised. There's no stigma of being a convert either - if she likes you, and you are eventually able to give her the temple wedding, chances are good she would be perfectly happy with that.

But all that aside, she would likely be pretty enthusiastic if you told her you wanted to talk to the missionaries. They have several lessons, take about an hour each time, tell you about our beliefs, answer your questions, and give you the opportunity to join if you choose to do so. You can stop at any time, and chances are good your relationship with her wouldn't change. If nothing else it would give you a very good idea of what her beliefs are beyond what you already know.

Unless she's a psycho chick, then you're hosed no matter what you do. :rofl:

But yeah, if you are even slightly interested in learning more, she won't find it creepy or odd - she'll just think she's being a good Mormon doing missionary work.

Feel free to tell her you've got an inside man on the intertron. :ninja:

-Adam
Huh. Well thanks, it's something to think about at least. I mean, who knows, maybe I need some kind of belief system like that to get myself going again.

CynicismKills said:
Huh. Well thanks, it's something to think about at least. I mean, who knows, maybe I need some kind of belief system like that to get myself going again.
Could be. Over 250 people join each day in the US, and nearly twice that outside the US, so lots of people find something in the church.

If not, at least you'll be able to tease/joke with her more effectively. :twisted:

-Adam

stienman said:
CynicismKills said:
Could be. Over 250 people join each day in the US, and nearly twice that outside the US, so lots of people find something in the church.

If not, at least you'll be able to tease/joke with her more effectively. :twisted:

-Adam
I've known her for a long time, I've got plenty to joke about already. :tongue:

Oh, the damage I've done to the Mormon image.

I have a friend who has a friend who's girlfriend is Mormon. Hm, this'll be complicated. We'll say "Hannah" (because that is her name), "Graham" (because that is his name) and "Graham's Girlfriend" (because [strike:35tm3nu5]that is the other her's name[/strike:35tm3nu5] I do not know her name)

Anyways, my friend, Hannah texts me that she's "worried" Graham will convert to Mormonism over this girl. I ask her why she's worried and she says that he'll be a zealot with twelve wives and it'll change the 'dynamic of our relationship'. That particular choice of words made me laugh, and I spent the next 24 hours explaining that I've known Mormons, still keep in touch with one that I met some time ago (and of course there's you, stienman) and they're all nice, well-adjusted people, and that the church itself banned polygamy quite a long time ago.

None of this calmed her irrational and eventually annoying concerns, and then I remembered stienman's avatar.

So I've spent the last week telling her the Mormons eat their young.

She is not amused.

But I am.

...I'm a terrible person.

(Sorry stieny!)

Garbledina said:
...and then I remembered stienman's avatar.

So I've spent the last week telling her the Mormons eat their young.

She is not amused.

But I am.

...I'm a terrible person.

(Sorry stieny!)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's hilarious!

You didn't mention eating kittens though, right? 'Cause people get more upset over eating kittens than babies. Especially when you teach your babies to eat kittens...

:paranoid:

-Adam

As someone who was raised Mormon and lives in a pretty heavily Mormon community, I have to point out that they can also be some pretty big judgmental jerks to people who eventually decide to quit and towards atheists in general. Just sayin'.

David said:
As someone who was raised [insert religion here] and lives in a pretty heavily [insert religion here] community, I have to point out that they can also be some pretty big judgmental jerks to people who eventually decide to quit and towards atheists in general. Just sayin'.
FTFY. 'Tis true of all faiths. Though I admit, I have met some asshole Mormons in my day. It's just a problem with humanity in general... some people are real pricks.

Arrrgh! The Stanley Cup was brought by Matt Cooke to the street I grew up on, he invited all the neighbours over for a huge party and my parents missed it!

Same subject as before, Cajun. Let's just say I don't feel so bad now about the decision I made. I'm a pretty patient and go-with-the-flow guy, but if there's one thing that can get me pissed off really fast, it's being lied to. It's the ultimate disrespect to me and my trust. If I give you the respect of being open and honest with you, I damn well expect the same respect in return! Grrrr! :angry:

Whew, okay, end rant!

North_Ranger

Staff member
Arrrrrgghhhhh... Back from Ropecon. My legs hurt like hell, I haven't slept in two days, I'm broke, I'm probably getting diarrhea for eating nothing but hamburgers, pizza and soda for the entire weekend, and I smell like a week-dead rat in a sewage tank. Also, on the train ride back home I got to listen to a bunch of slowly balding heavy metal guys discuss the quality of prostitutes in Thai beach resorts.

Can't wait for next year!

Allen said:
THIS CALLS FOR READING FAN FICTION!
At one point during the break between two of the books (I think it was between 4 & 5, but it could have been 3 & 4) I read a fanfiction by one girl who got so impatient from waiting that she wrote a sequel herself.

It was actually really long, and pretty well written. The only complaint I'd have is that she very obviously wrote herself into the book as a love interest for Harry, but even that was done well enough that I didn't quite mind.

All things told, that fanfiction still affects my view of the Harry Potter world to this day, and I must have read it probably 7-8 years ago at the latest.

My mother hasn't yet visited or commented on my blog in any way. I know this sounds whiny, but she's my mom, and we're already having problems where she can't talk to me about my health unless she's barking orders to go visit the Mayo Clinic (fine, you paying?) or something. She gets "too upset." I'm guessing she doesn't want to read it, and while that might change eventually, I'm just kinda hurt at the moment considering it was a pretty big project for me and I'm fairly proud of it so far.

M

Mr_Chaz

I just got so frustrated by the continuous change of tack/argument that I brought up one of the things I said to myself I'd never bring up. Time to get some sleep I think.

Zen: Though it's probably no consolation at all, I, for one, think it's spiffy and an interesting read. Also, you have a nice writing style. Stick with it! :)

Bubble181 said:
Zen: Though it's probably no consolation at all, I, for one, think it's spiffy and an interesting read. Also, you have a nice writing style. Stick with it! :)
Thanks, Bubble, that does mean a lot. :falldown:

Status
Not open for further replies.