Random Video Game Crap

fade

Staff member
Eh, I don't know about that, if you clip off the unused side portions, that's only about a 15" screen there. Most TVs have easily been in the 29-32" range since the 80s, when the NES came out.
I challenge that. I don't think that's a 15 inch, and the most popular size pre-flat screen TV size was 19", if I recall correctly.

figmentPez

Staff member
Eh, I don't know about that, if you clip off the unused side portions, that's only about a 15" screen there. Most TVs have easily been in the 29-32" range since the 80s, when the NES came out.
If that's a 24" monitor, it's about a 19.5" diagonal. Which means it has the viewable area of about a 21" 4:3 CRT.

GasBandit

Staff member
If that's a 24" monitor, it's about a 19.5" diagonal. Which means it has the viewable area of about a 21" 4:3 CRT.
I have a 24" monitor on my desk at work, right in front of me. That one in the picture looks closer to 22.

But even on my 24", a 4:3 square in the middle of the viewable area is about 16". I measured with a yardstick just this second.

On the other hand, however, Nick's monitor looks like it might be 16:10. Which would increase the 4:3 size.

@ThatNickGuy , help us settle this inane disagreement we refuse to let go of! How big is your monitor, in both inches and pixels?

I have a 24" monitor on my desk at work, right in front of me. That one in the picture looks closer to 22.

But even on my 24", a 4:3 square in the middle of the viewable area is about 16". I measured with a yardstick just this second.

On the other hand, however, Nick's monitor looks like it might be 16:10. Which would increase the 4:3 size.

@ThatNickGuy , help us settle this inane disagreement we refuse to let go of! How big is your monitor, in both inches and pixels?
Erm...uh...I got the biggest, cheapest monitor on Black Friday. This is what I got:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27D360HS/ZA

GasBandit

Staff member
Erm...uh...I got the biggest, cheapest monitor on Black Friday. This is what I got:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27D360HS/ZA
Huh. Bigger than I thought it was. 27", but also indeed 16:9.

So, it's about 14 inches tall (rounding off the change for the bezel), which in a 4:3 ratio would mean the picture would be 18.66" wide, so the diagonal viewing area would be 23.33", or thereabouts. Which would place it about the size of a 24/25" CRT.

Which is bigger than most of our parents let us play it on, I think, but I still maintain the average household TV size in the late 80s was in the mid to upper 20s.

Huh. Bigger than I thought it was. 27", but also indeed 16:9.

So, it's about 14 inches tall (rounding off the change for the bezel), which in a 4:3 ratio would mean the picture would be 18.66" wide, so the diagonal viewing area would be 23.33", or thereabouts. Which would place it about the size of a 24/25" CRT.

Which is bigger than most of our parents let us play it on, I think, but I still maintain the average household TV size in the late 80s was in the mid to upper 20s.
I think the one I played on back in the day was a 27". For the NES, anyway. Had a black & white TV for the Atari. I think about 16" then.

Yeah I don't exactly know how you convert from 16:9/10 back to 4:3. Stupid diagonal measurements.
Tube TVs topped out in the 30's and after that nobody wanted to lift them.

My "personal" TVs (that is, the ones I rescued from someone else's trash and kept in my room) were a B&W 25" tube TVand a B&W 13" solid state.

--Patrick

A friend of mine's father bought a 40 inch Sony Wega tube tv. It took three of us to move it. It weighed like 150 kilos.

A friend of mine's father bought a 40 inch Sony Wega tube tv. It took three of us to move it. It weighed like 150 kilos.
Kilowhat?

Kilometers? Damn that's one huge TV!
Kilopascals? Damn that's one ____ TV!
Kilojoules? Damn that's one anemic TV!
Kilowatts? Damn this is one bad joke.

Kilowhat?

Kilometers? Damn that's one huge TV!
Kilopascals? Damn that's one ____ TV!
Kilojoules? Damn that's one anemic TV!
Kilowatts? Damn this is one bad joke.
See, the worst part is that he specifically mentions "weight", which is of course mass being acted upon by gravity, so you'd go with the appropriate measurement for mass, grams, or in this case, kilograms. Now, if he'd just said, "It must have been like 150 kilos", then you'd have an opening. But since he referred to weight, and not power, length, energy, velocity, force, etc, you're just being an (m)ass.

you're just being an (m)ass.
Nice.

Agh. Re-reading my joke, I didn't even get the phrasing right. All the units should have been singular so that "kilowatt" echoed "kilowhat." Well, I did say it was a bad joke. And lazy. I don't even know what a Pascal is!

Nice.

Agh. Re-reading my joke, I didn't even get the phrasing right. All the units should have been singular so that "kilowatt" echoed "kilowhat." Well, I did say it was a bad joke. And lazy. I don't even know what a Pascal is!
Pascals are used to measure pressure, stress, and ultimate tensile strength. A pascal is 1 newton per square meter.

Which of course brings up this joke:

Leibnitz, Newton, and Pascal are playing hide and seek. While Leibnitz is counting, Pascal runs behind some thick hedges, while Newton takes out a piece of chalk and draws a square on the ground, each side 1 meter long. He then sits down inside it. Leibnitz finishes counting, and sees Newton sitting there. "Aha, Newton, I've found you," he says. "No you haven't," Newton replies. "You've found Pascal."

fade

Staff member
"Hey Urg... Oy gots an idea. When that gravewalker ranger shows up again, let's, you know all stab him at once."

GAME OVER

Installed Shadow of Mordors. Upon first loading, "adjust the gamma so the icon is just visible in both squares".....uhhhhh.....I don't see an icon in either. Go full-left and full-right, see both icons, try to find a setting where both are visible, fail horribly. Oh well.
Next, check options - oh look, key bindings that assume I'm using QWERTY. Dear WB, it's been some 40 years. Pretty much every piece of software has got it through its head that half the world uses AZERTY, QWERTZ, DVORAK, or another variation. Enforcing W to be "forward" is ridiculous. Most games made after 2005 get this right. Get your shit together. Switching Z and W and A and Q around isn't hard ,but do you think I'm aware of which buttons I need to remap in the whole $^ùµ=:;, register? Fuck off.

Addendum: holy crap this is a type of gameplay I suck at :p

Last edited:
Installed Shadow of Mordors. Upon first loading, "adjust the gamma so the icon is just visible in both squares".....uhhhhh.....I don't see an icon in either. Go full-left and full-right, see both icons, try to find a setting where both are visible, fail horribly. Oh well.
Next, check options - oh look, key bindings that assume I'm using QWERTY. Dear WB, it's been some 40 years. Pretty much every piece of software has got it through its head that half the world uses AZERTY, QWERTZ, DVORAK, or another variation. Enforcing W to be "forward" is ridiculous. Most games made after 2005 get this right. Get your shit together. Switching Z and W and A and Q around isn't hard ,but do you think I'm aware of which buttons I need to remap in the whole $^ùµ=:;, register? Fuck off.

Addendum: holy crap this is a type of gameplay I suck at :p
I highly recommend a controller anyway.

Also, FUCKING MORDORS? You're on my list.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know the QWERTY keyboard was designed to make it as difficult to type as possible so that people couldn't type faster than the mechanical parts of a typewriter could move out of the way of each other, but I still can't imagine using anything else. That said, in this day and age, not being allowed to rebind key controls is an inexcusable blunder.

I highly recommend a controller anyway.

Also, FUCKING MORDORS? You're on my list.
What? I remembered it's only one shadow :-P

That said, in this day and age, not being allowed to rebind key controls is an inexcusable blunder.
Oh, you can rebind them, it's just annoying to see that auto-detect wasn't included. It's not exactly going to be what makes the installation too big to fit on my HD or anything :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Days like this I'm grateful for TeamViewer. This morning before heading to work I started the render of the Path of Exile session that @Dei, @Terrik and I played last night. I checked on it via TeamViewer just now, found the render finished, and started the Youtube upload. It's gonna take 4 hours to upload. Glad to be getting that out of the way while I'm at work.

I need a bigger upstream pipe.

Days like this I'm grateful for TeamViewer. This morning before heading to work I started the render of the Path of Exile session that @Dei, @Terrik and I played last night. I checked on it via TeamViewer just now, found the render finished, and started the Youtube upload. It's gonna take 4 hours to upload. Glad to be getting that out of the way while I'm at work.

I need a bigger upstream pipe.
PoE? Really?
I have that.
I mean, I haven't played it in years, but I have it. I might even remember my password.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
PoE? Really?
I have that.
I mean, I haven't played it in years, but I have it. I might even remember my password.

--Patrick
They were bored, we'd just played L4D2, didn't wanna DST more because we've basically made failure impossible at this point, so I just looked down my list for other things we all could play, and there it was. And it only came out in 2013, man. It's not THAT old. Hell, it's way newer than L4D2.

If you haven't played it in a while though, might be worth taking a look at. They retooled some of the dungeon boss encounters. I especially found the Merveil encounter to be a lot more interesting.

They were bored, we'd just played L4D2, didn't wanna DST more because we've basically made failure impossible at this point, so I just looked down my list for other things we all could play, and there it was. And it only came out in 2013, man. It's not THAT old. Hell, it's way newer than L4D2.

If you haven't played it in a while though, might be worth taking a look at. They retooled some of the dungeon boss encounters. I especially found the Merveil encounter to be a lot more interesting.
I played a Marauder for about 2 months straight with Cranky, couldn't get enough of it, and then switched my main game to something else (Minecraft? Diablo III? I don't remember what). That was long before it got Steam-ified or the Scion class was introduced. So many changes to the tech tree since then. I haven't even moved it to my Steam account yet.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I played a Marauder for about 2 months straight with Cranky, couldn't get enough of it, and then switched my main game to something else (Minecraft? Diablo III? I don't remember what). That was long before it got Steam-ified or the Scion class was introduced. So many changes to the tech tree since then. I haven't even moved it to my Steam account yet.

--Patrick
Yeah, my first playthrough was on a marauder as well. I'd been replaying it as a witch (even though I've unlocked the scion), and for this video, I decided to try a templar.

I was a little surprised to find the difficulty does not seem to scale with number of people in your party. We almost completely mowed through chapter 1 in almost 2 hours with no real difficulty whatsoever.