Random Video Game Crap

Yeah, my first playthrough was on a marauder as well.
Just logged in to check my char. Sorry, I'm a Duelist. Marauder was to be my second choice.
...and I went ahead and linked my accounts. Hope nothing bad happens as a result.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Just logged in to check my char. Sorry, I'm a Duelist. Marauder was to be my second choice.

--Patrick
Lemme tell ya, once my marauder got jump slam, every fight became completely trivial. Oh, what's that? 900 skeletons? 7 FOOT TALL MEAT POGO STICK OF DOOM! BOING SLAM BOING SLAM BOING SLAM GG GTFO.

This video is chock full of spoilers and a good explanation of MGS5's flaws. I don't agree with him everywhere, like how I agree with a lot of the higher reviews and how much I enjoyed all the side content.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know it's not exactly topical, and I'm not really a console gamer anyway, but I always thought Fire Emblem characters didn't belong in Smash Bros games. Basically, I'm of the opinion that if a sizeable number of people's first time they hear of a character is in Smash, it probably shouldn't be in smash. Same goes for Shulk. And I know there's a lot of Fire Emblem fans out there who will quote sales numbers at me all day long, but the fact remains that Marth showed up in Smash in the west before any actual Fire Emblem games did... and now SSB4, there's FOUR fire emblem characters?

And really, when I say "Nintendo," is your first thought "Lucina?" If you ask me (and I know you didn't), there needs to be a certain threshold met for "iconicism" here... I mean, that's why Mr. Game and Watch kinda makes sense - he was an early icon of handheld gaming, and why Snake is palatable despite being completely thematically dischordant. But really... Dark Pit? What is this, Sakurai just pimping his side projects? I mean, yeah, Kid Icarus is iconic because of its 8 bit cred, but Palutena wasn't even playable from what I understand. Dark Pit is just fuckin' ridiculous, "Shadow Link" from Zelda 2 doesn't get a slot.

Anyway, just my unsolicited 2 cents about a game I've played less at this point than I've ever played Skifree.

I know it's not exactly topical, and I'm not really a console gamer anyway, but I always thought Fire Emblem characters didn't belong in Smash Bros games. Basically, I'm of the opinion that if a sizeable number of people's first time they hear of a character is in Smash, it probably shouldn't be in smash. Same goes for Shulk. And I know there's a lot of Fire Emblem fans out there who will quote sales numbers at me all day long, but the fact remains that Marth showed up in Smash in the west before any actual Fire Emblem games did... and now SSB4, there's FOUR fire emblem characters?

And really, when I say "Nintendo," is your first thought "Lucina?" If you ask me (and I know you didn't), there needs to be a certain threshold met for "iconicism" here... I mean, that's why Mr. Game and Watch kinda makes sense - he was an early icon of handheld gaming, and why Snake is palatable despite being completely thematically dischordant. But really... Dark Pit? What is this, Sakurai just pimping his side projects? I mean, yeah, Kid Icarus is iconic because of its 8 bit cred, but Palutena wasn't even playable from what I understand. Dark Pit is just fuckin' ridiculous, "Shadow Link" from Zelda 2 doesn't get a slot.

Anyway, just my unsolicited 2 cents about a game I've played less at this point than I've ever played Skifree.
I agree with you, but I imagine in Japan the thought process is quite a bit different.

GasBandit

Staff member
I agree with you, but I imagine in Japan the thought process is quite a bit different.
Yeah, there's not a whole lot Japan has been doing right when it comes to video games in recent years. At least Nintendo hasn't gone full Capcom yet... or worse, Konami.[DOUBLEPOST=1442964610,1442964486][/DOUBLEPOST]
NOOOOOO FIRE EMBLEM IS THE BEST SHUT UP!
Fire Emblem's fine and all, but putting Fire Emblem characters in Smash is like... putting chess pieces in a Street Fighter sequel.

Marth was important in Japan and imagine the bitching that would go on in the west if they heard Nintendo removed a character because we hadn't played his game.

I love Fire Emblem Awakening, but it does feel excessive. Lucina is one of my favorite characters from that game, for that matter. The problem is that each Fire Emblem game has a whole new cast, so it's hard for anyone to feel long term.

I'm not going to begrudge Dark Pit if only because he's Sakurai's own original character. He's done so much good that I think he's earned a vanity slot.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot Japan has been doing right when it comes to video games in recent years. At least Nintendo hasn't gone full Capcom yet... or worse, Konami.
No, what I meant is that, to a Japanese audience (and Nintendo is a Japanese company, after all) those characters are probably very well known and beloved. To not have them would be, in their eyes, a travesty.

A lot of what happens in Smash Brothers is also marketing. When Marth showed up in Melee and he was from a game NO ONE HAD PLAYED, the fans demanded Fire Emblem come to the US. Apparently Nintendo didn't think it would sell so they hadn't tried, but the most recent was a GBA game (lower sales stakes) so they tried it out and now Fire Emblem sells well in the US. It's a major series now.

As for Dark Pit and Palutena... Kid Icarus Uprising had just come out and Sakurai was trying to get some sales, and Dark Pit (who is an actual character, (unlike Shadow Link) and Palutena play important roles in it. Shulk's kind of in the same boat: Xenoblade is widely regarded as an excellent 2nd Party title and sold extremely well in Japan, but it only got a limited release in the US after a massive fan campaign (and they fucked that up by letting Gamestop control the pricing, so they were selling it at 90 bucks after awhile). We're only getting Xenoblade 2 because Nintendo is trying to build it as a brand... we've literally had someone at Nintendo come out and say they don't think it will make money but sometimes you do things to make the fans happy so they'll buy other stuff and sometimes you just plain get lucky.

This is partly why Nintendo did that Amiibo poll... they want to judge third-party characters/content by fan popularity to see what it worth investing in. Shovel Knight won the initial poll by a landslide and now he's getting an Amiibo (and possibly included as DLC for Smash). Shantae also did well so there's a chance we'll see her show up soon too.

As for Dark Pit and Palutena... Kid Icarus Uprising had just come out and Sakurai was trying to get some sales, and Dark Pit (who is an actual character, (unlike Shadow Link) and Palutena play important roles in it.
You're probably right with Xenoblade since the New 3DS and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D were coming in the next few months, but Kid Icarus Uprising came out two and a half years before Smash Bros 4. Any traction it had was pretty much done with, but it was Sakurai's previous project and I'm not surprised he wanted to show it some love. It's still a solid 3DS game and I recommend it even with the awkward controls, but if Palutena and Dark Pit's inclusion was for promo purposes, Smash 4 was very late in the advertising.

:(

There is no justice in this world where there's a new Happy Maddison production every 22 seconds and Guillermo del Toro can't get anything made.

I gotta hand it to Let's Play-ers, that shit isn't easy in certain contexts.

My wife and I talked about taking the Jay challenge on Alien Isolation (i.e. doing a hard mode Let's Play) and we thought, hey, let's actually do it, not just record the gameplay, but talk and stuff and make it like other let's plays. How hard can it be? We did a test video with Injustice, and essentially we didn't have to do anything. We shit-talked each other and made fun of things, and it was exactly like we always are, except with the PS4 mic recording us. And it sounded fine, we were loud and clear, and sounded natural, so we thought we were ready.

Nnnnnnope. Turns out, for a game like Alien Isolation that shit is harder than it looks. Go figure! When we go through a game like this the first time, we both get pretty quiet and tense. Forcing ourselves to talk more was unnatural, let alone trying to talk audibly because we're both idiots who think that somehow if we're too loud, the enemies in the game will hear us :p. So we recorded about 90 minutes, realized it was garbage, and deleted it.

That was just the tutorial; I didn't even get to the real game yet and all the actual hard shit. I might record it just for shits and giggles, but I'll leave the actual commentary-style Let's Play of games like that to the professionals. I certainly have more respect for what they do after trying it myself.

Maybe if I'd played the game already, it would've been fine, but that shit's too intense even when nothing's happening.

Terrik does make it easier, since he's almost certainly doing something that, um, "evokes response and commentary". So when you're playing with him, there's not a lot of dead air, unless everyone's really concentrating.

I feel like the Twitch Streamers have an easier time: yes, it's live, but you also have a chat stream talking to you the whole time and you can follow that conversation if you like.

Jim Sterling did a gameplay video of Operation Z. And it's probably the worst game I've seen him cover in a long time.

[DOUBLEPOST=1443974412,1443974216][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, a developer is threatening legal action if he doesn't "lay off."

I'm sure the unnamed threatening dev has NOTHING to do with Digital Homicide's latest Greenlight trailer, Extra Large Testicle.

I'm not sure what the legal arguement would be... that he's negatively effecting their sales and forcing them obscure their identity by pointing out that their work is pure garbage? He's a critic, he's supposed to be doing that. That's protect speech and it's not like it's libel or anything.

That's the thing. They have NO legal grounding on this at all. All he's doing is gameplay videos of their work and showing how bad the games are. He's not costing them sales by doing so. Their own shoddy work is doing that for them.

Mind you, these are the guys who thought that "fair use" meant "fair" as in "you're not being fair. So we're not really dealing with the smartest bunch in the first place.

(Video placemarked at the point about fair use.)

That's the thing. They have NO legal grounding on this at all.
You would think so, but the legality is still somewhat grey AND it varies from country to country (of course).
http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2013/a-legal-guide-to-lets-play-and-gaming-videos/
Plus there is the "de facto" copyright where some form of notice-and-takedown procedure is used to at a minimum hogtie/suppress/hold the content hostage without actually having to take it through the legal system.

--Patrick

Terrik does make it easier, since he's almost certainly doing something that, um, "evokes response and commentary". So when you're playing with him, there's not a lot of dead air, unless everyone's really concentrating.
L4D2 is a good game for that, but Terrik's ... performance hits on something else I noticed.

The Let's Play-ers I've heard of, the ones I watch, there are games they're pretty terrible at. The Injustice test video we did was pretty much just me losing three times in a row and my wife making sure I knew that was my fault. So, you know, normal conversation.

The funniest parts of the L4D2 often end up being everyone giving Terrik shit :D.

See, that's because Terrik is almost always drunk for those videos. When he's not drunk, Gas throws the footage away because it's boring.

When we're both drunk, apparently the footage is far too eclectic. ;)

Yeah, it's not like he's the Escapist and they're Cloud Imperium or anything.
How is it Derek Smart is almost always involved with video game lawsuits? He's been doing this for like -12- years.[DOUBLEPOST=1443978093,1443978001][/DOUBLEPOST]
See, that's because Terrik is almost always drunk for those videos. When he's not drunk, Gas throws the footage away because it's boring.

I'm kind of glad he's throwing away the Diescraper stuff. By the end of that night, I was literally rushing just to get points because I just wanted the night to end.

You would think so, but the legality is still somewhat grey AND it varies from country to country (of course).
http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2013/a-legal-guide-to-lets-play-and-gaming-videos/
Plus there is the "de facto" copyright where some form of notice-and-takedown procedure is used to at a minimum hogtie/suppress/hold the content hostage without actually having to take it through the legal system.

--Patrick
Well, I'm a little confused now and not sure if they have grounding or not. I was under the impression they didn't.

GasBandit

Staff member

The word is "cringeworthy." But I edited down 3 hours of "everybody is drunk" footage down to 20 minutes and it's rendering now, so prepare to hide your face forever in shame, gigglepuss.

Well, I'm a little confused now and not sure if they have grounding or not. I was under the impression they didn't.
It basically comes down to whether or not Jim published something that he...

- knowingly knew was false
AND
- did damage to the company through this falsehood

Jim's videos aren't falsified in anyway, so it's not libel. It's not like he tweaked the game to be worse than it was. As such, they really don't have a leg to stand on. They could TRY to sue him and hope he doesn't have the cash to fight back, but it's likely his viewers would step up to defend him in that case with some cash donations.

Mmmmaybe? I don't have it installed right now, but depending on what happens for the rest of the day I might be down.