Random Video Game Crap

I don't know how I missed any news about this game but man it looks impressive.
I've watched the entire flawless run of this... saving everyone you can is kind of bullshit (you have to do some counter intuitive things) but it's still heads and tails over stuff like Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy. I can't say enough good things about this, though I hope we get a PC release someday.

I've watched the entire flawless run of this... saving everyone you can is kind of bullshit (you have to do some counter intuitive things) but it's still heads and tails over stuff like Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy. I can't say enough good things about this, though I hope we get a PC release someday.
With all the PS4 controller-commands I wouldn't expect a PC release, but man it would look amazing on a high-end rig.

With all the PS4 controller-commands I wouldn't expect a PC release, but man it would look amazing on a high-end rig.
The only motion control it couldn't really handle well are the "Don't Move" segments where you can't move your controller, which you could probably change. Everything else can be done with the mouse.

It's funny watching Jared's video, when he shows his endgame save file it's like "how the fuck is he only level 50ish?" I think my first clear I was nearly 80 from doing all the sidequests along the way.

Is there some link I can watch on youtube, where the player doesn't suck and there's absolutely NO COMMENTARY
I watched in livestreamed on Twitch.tv a few days back. I suspect you could find a run of it today if you looked (it's getting it Euro release today or tomorrow, I forget which). The guy I watched was something like LordRage and he didn't have his mic or camera for this one, so you might be able to find it in the archive.

Watched about 2 hours last night, it's amazing. Don't wanna play it but the game is real nice, graphics are amazing

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

It's funny watching Jared's video, when he shows his endgame save file it's like "how the fuck is he only level 50ish?" I think my first clear I was nearly 80 from doing all the sidequests along the way.
I think so many of us are used to gorging on the game's content or doing New Game + over and over that we forget the actual level progression of a normal playthrough. Level 50 is about the "do what you want" stage before deciding you're ready for Lavos.

Wife and I just had a conversation about why Chrono Cross is such a garbage heap, and that it'd probably come off as less bad if it wasn't a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Wife and I just had a conversation about why Chrono Cross is such a garbage heap, and that it'd probably come off as less bad if it wasn't a sequel to Chrono Trigger.
It's not even this. It's a great game when it's doing it's own thing. It's that it does REALLY STUPID things with the old cast to make the plot happen.

Chrono, Marle, and Lucca all get killed by what is essentially a mid-boss in Chrono Cross by lighting their house on fire one night to kill Schala's clone (Kid). Nevermind that Chrono and crew have lived through being lit on fire multiple times during their own adventure.

Guardia gets overrun by Porrel (sp?). This isn't dumb in and of itself... it's that DALTON does it after you've beaten him in Chrono Trigger. How does he get to the present? He doesn't have a time key OR a time machine.

Robo is revealed to have been helping you for awhile and is killed seconds later by the evil clone of Kid (making Harle a clone of a clone...) out of basically pettiness.

Beating Lavos again requires using the same kind of reality snarling bullshit that caused the original problem to begin with.

Really, if none of that happened and you cut out all the references to the old games, Chrono Cross more than stands on it's own.

What sucks is if you play Cross without comparing it to Trigger, it's not really a bad game at all. The combat's weird and takes some getting used to but all in all it's still fun. Problem is Trigger is just so damn good that comparing another game to it will obviously make that game look like a lesser experience.

It's the same reason some FF games end up so divisive, I would wager. People want another FFVI/FFVII, but they get FFX/FFXII. The games really aren't bad as a new FF experience but when you compare them to the peak of the series at V-VII it's tougher to take them as something new.

There are actually a ton of FFX fans (basically people who's first JRPG was FFX), numbering almost as many as the FFVII fans. FFVI fans are fewer in number (gaming wasn't as big back then) but hold sway on the overall quality of it's game... while FFXII fans also hold a lot of sway for having one of better stories and it's ties to the Ivalice Alliance. There are legitimate reasons for each game to get remakes.

I actually never liked FFVII, I found the story annoying and confusing. My favorites are easily VI and IX (except for a certain annoying section that I don't think I need to mention)

Ipsen's Castle in usually where some players give up on FF9. Usually because the games doesn't tell you that your stats get modified inside the castle, so equipping a weak weapon from the start of the game turns it into something wickedly powerful.

It's not even this. It's a great game when it's doing it's own thing. It's that it does REALLY STUPID things with the old cast to make the plot happen.

Chrono, Marle, and Lucca all get killed by what is essentially a mid-boss in Chrono Cross by lighting their house on fire one night to kill Schala's clone (Kid). Nevermind that Chrono and crew have lived through being lit on fire multiple times during their own adventure.

Guardia gets overrun by Porrel (sp?). This isn't dumb in and of itself... it's that DALTON does it after you've beaten him in Chrono Trigger. How does he get to the present? He doesn't have a time key OR a time machine.

Robo is revealed to have been helping you for awhile and is killed seconds later by the evil clone of Kid (making Harle a clone of a clone...) out of basically pettiness.

Beating Lavos again requires using the same kind of reality snarling bullshit that caused the original problem to begin with.

Really, if none of that happened and you cut out all the references to the old games, Chrono Cross more than stands on it's own.
Actually:

Crono and Marle died when Porre takes over Guardia, since they were king and queen then. There are hints in Chrono Cross, but the epilogue anime cutscenes of the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger make it clear.

As for how it stands without Chrono Trigger ... I have issues with how leveling works, and the dimension mechanics for side quests don't make logical sense in some points.

From a story point of view, it's still a mess. Part of that's due to the many many characters, but even disregarding that, it lacks clear direction. Many points in the game, it's not clear why you're doing some things in the grand scheme of events, and segments of the game don't build off each other. In FFVI, the changing goals build off of previous ones. Or, Chrono Trigger, you have a main goal, and each segment lends more towards that same goal. Chrono Cross, each part of the game is disjointed and makes the plot feel aimless. By the end, they have to pull a final boss out of their ass just to have a climax, though that's half the lack of direction, and half the "this must be a Chrono Trigger sequel!" desperation you mentioned.

Here's a monster that was never mentioned that's related to a monster you barely heard of, bound to a girl you never met, and her survival is important for reasons we're only telling you here at the very end of the game. And this undoes reality as you know it.

I will give Chrono Cross this--any two people who played it have a lot to talk about. I just wish delving into it so much reaped similar rewards as another confusing, disjointed game from that time period, Xenogears.[DOUBLEPOST=1440894081,1440893939][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ipsen's Castle in usually where some players give up on FF9. Usually because the games doesn't tell you that your stats get modified inside the castle, so equipping a weak weapon from the start of the game turns it into something wickedly powerful.
what.

I played through that fucker twice and didn't know that. What the fuck.

Actually:

Crono and Marle died when Porre takes over Guardia, since they were king and queen then. There are hints in Chrono Cross, but the epilogue anime cutscenes of the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger make it clear.
Oh right, I forgot about that part.

Here's a monster that was never mentioned that's related to a monster you barely heard of, bound to a girl you never met, and her survival is important for reasons we're only telling you here at the very end of the game. And this undoes reality as you know it.
If you play through the bonus dungeon of Chrono Trigger DS, you actually get an expanded ending explaining why some of this is happening...

Basically, you learn that Dalton is doing shit he shouldn't and it's part of why the Time Devourer comes into existance. You then fight the Time Devourer and learn that you can't kill it because you lack the tools for it (basically, you don't have the universe twisting Chrono Cross). If Magus is there, he gets sent through time and looses his memory (becoming Janus).

If you complete all of this, there is a scene at the end of the anime ending where you see Guardia in flames. So you DO get an explanation for it... just in a different game and years later.

Really, what needs to happen is they need to remake Chrono Cross for the 3DS and make it a bit more focused and coherent. Maybe clean up the story a bit and add/remove areas as needed. The multitude of characters is fine (Suikoden does it just as bad sometimes) but there are some just plain better choices. They need to make some more viable (or just make guys like Glenn LESS viable, the two Einlanzer weilding asshole.)

I will give Chrono Cross this--any two people who played it have a lot to talk about. I just wish delving into it so much reaped similar rewards as another confusing, disjointed game from that time period, Xenogears.

what.

I played through that fucker twice and didn't know that. What the fuck.
It's actually hinted at via the items you get in the chests (low level weapons) and the local moogle sells basic weapons as well. But they don't out and out tell you.

While in Ipsen's Castle, weapons will do more damage the lower their attack power is. Weak weapons are sold by a local moogle, and the characters' default weapons can be found in many of the treasure chests. The unusual weapon set-up does not extend to armor, accessories or magic.

The reduced weapon damage while in Ipsen's Castle weaker is due an alteration in the base damage formula:
[/QUOTE]

I don't remember much about Chrono Cross except the year it came out my friends did a whole Halloween ensemble and I was Kid.

fade

Staff member
That was kind of my first thought. Isn't the game series already pretty heavily inspired by mad max?

The big thing is that the movie needs to be FUNNY but also over the top... sort of like a Mad Max version of KickAss or Scott Pilgrim. Without the core comedy dynamic, the games just don't work and neither will the movie.

GasBandit

Staff member
That was kind of my first thought. Isn't the game series already pretty heavily inspired by mad max?
The first minor boss in Borderlands 1 drops a pistol with a bayonet attachment called the "Toe Cutter." It's pretty overt, yeah.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, that, and it might have been 30 years since he's seen Mad Max. Pat's only allowed to watch a movie once every year or two.

Fun fact for those who didn't know: the guy who played Immortan Joe in Mad Max: Fury Road is the same guy who played Toecutter in Mad Max.