Random Video Game Crap

Which perhaps begs the question... if you had to eat a graphics card, what would be the best way to do it? Somehow grind/blend it into powder and mix it into a protein shake?
Get a dog - or a goat for the more squeamish - to eat it first, then eat the dog.

Which perhaps begs the question... if you had to eat a graphics card, what would be the best way to do it? Somehow grind/blend it into powder and mix it into a protein shake?
As long as the card is RoHS compliant (and if it's sold in the EU it will be) then it'll contain very few heavy metals and should be somewhat less toxic. As such I'd probably suggest using a blender to reduce it to small pieces, then a ball mill (using stainless steel balls, not lead!) to pulverize it into dust. I'd argue online that the heatsinks and metal brackets aren't part of the card, and only eat the PCB and the parts on the PCB. Consider washing it with acetone, then soapy water, then rinsing with water to remove thermal grease and maybe some of the paints and epoxies that don't constitute the graphics card itself. Then plug it in and show it still works (briefly - before it overheats!) so people don't call foul that you aren't also eating the enclosure, fan, etc.

At that point you should end up with less than a quarter cup of powder, which is mostly glass (circuit board is fiberglass), with some copper, some gold, some silicon. The silicon will be the most dangerous part - not the silicon itself, but the doping used on it to create the semiconductor, sometimes elements such as boron. These are mostly low-toxicity to humans, but they do present some concerns.

As such, I would combine it with a very large, very basic (ie, opposite of acid) thick drink. The basic nature of the drink should counteract a lot of the acid in the digestive system, and hopefully few of the elements will find their way into your blood stream. Then I'd flush my digestive system very quickly with a lot of other food and liquids so that this graphics card smoothy spends very little time in my system.

Then I'd check my will, make sure all my affairs are in order, and hope for the best.

GasBandit

Staff member
As long as the card is RoHS compliant (and if it's sold in the EU it will be) then it'll contain very few heavy metals and should be somewhat less toxic. As such I'd probably suggest using a blender to reduce it to small pieces, then a ball mill (using stainless steel balls, not lead!) to pulverize it into dust. I'd argue online that the heatsinks and metal brackets aren't part of the card, and only eat the PCB and the parts on the PCB. Consider washing it with acetone, then soapy water, then rinsing with water to remove thermal grease and maybe some of the paints and epoxies that don't constitute the graphics card itself. Then plug it in and show it still works (briefly - before it overheats!) so people don't call foul that you aren't also eating the enclosure, fan, etc.

At that point you should end up with less than a quarter cup of powder, which is mostly glass (circuit board is fiberglass), with some copper, some gold, some silicon. The silicon will be the most dangerous part - not the silicon itself, but the doping used on it to create the semiconductor, sometimes elements such as boron. These are mostly low-toxicity to humans, but they do present some concerns.

As such, I would combine it with a very large, very basic (ie, opposite of acid) thick drink. The basic nature of the drink should counteract a lot of the acid in the digestive system, and hopefully few of the elements will find their way into your blood stream. Then I'd flush my digestive system very quickly with a lot of other food and liquids so that this graphics card smoothy spends very little time in my system.

Then I'd check my will, make sure all my affairs are in order, and hope for the best.
Would mixing the powder with another basic substance, such as milk, help usher it through without absorption, you think?

Would mixing the powder with another basic substance, such as milk, help usher it through without absorption, you think?
That would be my guess. I'd powder up a whole bottle of antacids to add to the mix.[DOUBLEPOST=1466091295,1466091265][/DOUBLEPOST]I'd expect the mixture to taste like thick metallic chalk.

This is why you have so much reputation on StackOverflow, innit? :p

Milk is not as alkaline as you might think, no matter what MacGyver says. In fact, it is actually slightly acidic (pH 6.7).
No no no, now we're drinking. He clearly needs to E A T
The dust could be used as a zesty substitute for Mrs. Dash. It would help him reduce the sodium in his diet.
I don't have this problem anymore. Suffering through years of steam sales means I now own all the video games.
"Suffering"

--Patrick

Last edited:
Looking through my wishlist, I think this is going to be another sale where I won't get anything. The stuff I want are either too new to be significantly discounted (XCOM2, Fallout 4, Doom, Witcher 3 etc), or I don't really want them all that much, and they're only on my wishlist cause I thought they looked cool, and thus will only buy them if they have a ridiculous discount (Evochron Mercenary, Blades of Time, the Assassin's Creed games, Subnautica, Gat out of Hell, KSP, etc).

I'm going to really try to only buy things from my Wishlist, unless Witcher 3 and its DLC goes on sale for a nice, big discount.
You should be looking at the GoG summer sale if you want that... it's the superior version anyway, as CD Projeckt Red owns GoG and updates that version more often.

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (50% off) at $24.99
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt + Season Pass (33%) at $49.99 (That's 50% off Main game and 10% off DLC)
The Witcher SERIES Pack is $55.95 (51%) if you don't own the other games and want all three.

"Metroid fans aren't interested in this spin-off game at all... in fact, they seem to be pissed we're doing it at all."

"Toss Samus in and make her look like a Gundam."

"BRILLIANT."

"Also give her those giant anime eyes"
"Her visor doesn't have eyes, sir."
"Well, dilate her visor to a full 15cm then, and make her face look like some douchebag's Honda Civic headlights."
"Brilliant!"

--Patrick

My Steam Discovery Queue had 2 games that require a phone / tablet to play. Is this a thing now? Why is this a thing now?

figmentPez

Staff member
My Steam Discovery Queue had 2 games that require a phone / tablet to play. Is this a thing now? Why is this a thing now?
Because it makes multi-player on a single PC more accessible. The Jackbox Party Pack works that way. If you've got friends over for a party and want to play You Don't Know Jack, it's a lot more likely everyone will have a phone with them, than you'll have gamepads for everyone, or all want to crowd around the same keyboard.