Random Video Game Crap

Biggest problems with Chrono Cross:

- Most of the cast of Chrono Trigger killed off-screen
- Robo gets killed for virtually no reason, right after showing up
- Diverse cast gets little to no character development. The ones that do (Glenn, Divas, Fargo, etc) tend to be vastly more powerful than the rest.
- No explanation as to how Lavos was able to do what it did.
- Schala story never resolved. Game ends on cliff hanger.

The game itself is fun and interesting, but we really need a sequel to finish the story stuff introduced in Chrono Trigger DS and Chrono Cross.

Biggest problems with Chrono Cross:

- Most of the cast of Chrono Trigger killed off-screen
- Robo gets killed for virtually no reason, right after showing up
- Diverse cast gets little to no character development. The ones that do (Glenn, Divas, Fargo, etc) tend to be vastly more powerful than the rest.
- No explanation as to how Lavos was able to do what it did.
- Schala story never resolved. Game ends on cliff hanger.

The game itself is fun and interesting, but we really need a sequel to finish the story stuff introduced in Chrono Trigger DS and Chrono Cross.
Schala story gets a resolution if you play the Chrono Cross for the Time Devourer, but it isn't explained why Schala merging with the Mammom Machine would cause any of that shit to happen. What my 10th grade brain was able to conjure up as far as explanations go, if correct, were really stupid anyway. There's also a really dumb loophole created with FATE and Chronopolis having been thrown back so many years.

I would suggest Square abandoned the series because they couldn't make sense of the paradoxical mess they'd introduced in Chrono Cross's story, but nonsense hasn't stopped them in the Final Fantasy series. Though I will say that games like Chrono Cross and Xenogears had confusing narratives with still threads of logic working through them so that having discussions about them had merit ... unlike later Square-Enix crap.

I still remember my disappointment playing Cross for the first time. It was lame. I replayed it much later in life, it's decent but a huge step down from Trigger it's not even funny.

Some may call it nostalgia but let's be honest, Trigger was awesome across the board. Heck, once I get through the games I'm playing now, I'll prolly play it for the 20th time.

I'd pay good money to play Trigger like the first time again.

I still remember my disappointment playing Cross for the first time. It was lame. I replayed it much later in life, it's decent but a huge step down from Trigger it's not even funny.

Some may call it nostalgia but let's be honest, Trigger was awesome across the board. Heck, once I get through the games I'm playing now, I'll prolly play it for the 20th time.

I'd pay good money to play Trigger like the first time again.
I've purchased chrono trigger so many times it's not even funny. I have it on SNES, PSN, PSVita, Gameboy Advance (or was it DS?), and it's the first game I emulate any time I put homebrew onto something like a smartphone or other tweaked device.

Schala story gets a resolution if you play the Chrono Cross for the Time Devourer, but it isn't explained why Schala merging with the Mammom Machine would cause any of that shit to happen. What my 10th grade brain was able to conjure up as far as explanations go, if correct, were really stupid anyway. There's also a really dumb loophole created with FATE and Chronopolis having been thrown back so many years.
Except that doesn't really explain where she's gone or what's happened to her. She's free... but she's not found so Magus/Guile is probably still out there looking for her. It's really just unsatisfying.

GasBandit

Staff member
I tried to get the little woman interested in Chrono Trigger, telling her it was bar none the best single player RPG to come out of the 90s console era.

She got soooo bored of it. :(

best single player RPG
Such an odd statement, because "RPG" is such a wide genre. I love Kotor-style games, I really like Elder Scrolls type games, I'm a huge fan of the M&M or Ultiam style games...I'm growing more and more fond of RPG/RTS or RPG/TBS combos (as Heroes of Might and Magic and such start going more RPG-y), but I've never liked a JRPG...And I've never played an FF in my life for more than 5 minutes.

I know I'm an abomination and all that, but how does one decide that?

Also, would you say Chrono Trigger still holds up? Or was it awesome but unfortunately caught up by moving technology and UI? Or...?

Such an odd statement, because "RPG" is such a wide genre. I love Kotor-style games, I really like Elder Scrolls type games, I'm a huge fan of the M&M or Ultiam style games...I'm growing more and more fond of RPG/RTS or RPG/TBS combos (as Heroes of Might and Magic and such start going more RPG-y), but I've never liked a JRPG...And I've never played an FF in my life for more than 5 minutes.

I know I'm an abomination and all that, but how does one decide that?

Also, would you say Chrono Trigger still holds up? Or was it awesome but unfortunately caught up by moving technology and UI? Or...?
Most SNES/Genesis and PS1-era RPGs tend to hold up rather well, SNES especially. FF IV-VI, Secret of Mana, CT, EarthBound, Lufia II, Terranigma, SoulBlazer and more are still a lot of fun. However, I've been a huge fan of RPG and JRPG games since I was playing DragonQuest/FF1 on NES, so my opinions are biased.

Most SNES/Genesis and PS1-era RPGs tend to hold up rather well, SNES especially. FF IV-VI, Secret of Mana, CT, EarthBound, Lufia II, Terranigma, SoulBlazer and more are still a lot of fun. However, I've been a huge fan of RPG and JRPG games since I was playing DragonQuest/FF1 on NES, so my opinions are biased.
Brofist for Lufia 2.

My 3DS XL is broken. Turned it on, home screen makes nothing work--no directions, no buttons except A, no touch screen. If I go into the only game it can access, the cartridge, most buttons work, but the touch screen is still fucked. Going back to home screen, touch screen remains fucked. Can't access system, so I can't even transfer my stuff to another 3DS XL. The only thing I can access is screen brightness, but without touch support, that doesn't work.

So, I guess goodbye to it for 3 weeks while Nintendo fixes it (aka replaces it with a different refurbished one) and possibly goodbye to some of my game saves that can't be backed up, like Monster Hunter and Pokemon. If I lose the Pokemon I've had since 2007 now that I transferred them to Y ... fucking hell.

I'm so pissed.

My 3DS XL is broken. Turned it on, home screen makes nothing work--no directions, no buttons except A, no touch screen. If I go into the only game it can access, the cartridge, most buttons work, but the touch screen is still fucked. Going back to home screen, touch screen remains fucked. Can't access system, so I can't even transfer my stuff to another 3DS XL. The only thing I can access is screen brightness, but without touch support, that doesn't work.

So, I guess goodbye to it for 3 weeks while Nintendo fixes it (aka replaces it with a different refurbished one) and possibly goodbye to some of my game saves that can't be backed up, like Monster Hunter and Pokemon. If I lose the Pokemon I've had since 2007 now that I transferred them to Y ... fucking hell.

I'm so pissed.

Come back to PC gaming you dirty casual.

Today has shown me just how often I'll grab my 3DS for this and that. I can't really dither around on a PC game before bed and I don't want to set up the TV.

So I guess I either rely on handhelds less or break out my PSP for the first time in over two years.

And here's a solution. Downloading Earthbound; can play it on the Wii U gamepad.[DOUBLEPOST=1392267874,1392267485][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm not gonna play tonight; I'm just gonna jam to the "name everything" menu music until I pass out.

Apparently the problems with my 3DS XL sometimes happen when people use a screen protector. So my conundrum is, on the one hand I don't want to break my 3DS, but on the other hand I don't want to scrape and scratch it to hell when I play Kid Icarus Uprising.

"Couldn't you just play Kid Icarus carefully--"

That is not how the game is played.

Apparently the problems with my 3DS XL sometimes happen when people use a screen protector. So my conundrum is, on the one hand I don't want to break my 3DS, but on the other hand I don't want to scrape and scratch it to hell when I play Kid Icarus Uprising.

"Couldn't you just play Kid Icarus carefully--"

That is not how the game is played.
I've owned several DS's (DSphat, DS-Lite, 3DS, and 3DS XL) and have never used a screen protector with any of them. And never has the screen ever become scratched or worn. As long as you're using the proper stylus, it should be ok.

Unless you're one of those people who try to drive the stylus through the screen.

I've owned several DS's (DSphat, DS-Lite, 3DS, and 3DS XL) and have never used a screen protector with any of them. And never has the screen ever become scratched or worn. As long as you're using the proper stylus, it should be ok.

Unless you're one of those people who try to drive the stylus through the screen.
... sometimes. Kid Icarus Uprising multi-player gets intense.

I played single player today and tried to be gentle--that seemed okay. Maybe I'll do some multi later. I'm gonna become anal about specks of dust and grit on the lower screen, but as long as I clean it frequently, it should be fine.

Was driving today, decided to hit my game music shuffle mix (800+ songs). This came on while the rain was poring on.

IT'S SO GOOD.

THE VORTEX IS TEARING THE SHIP APART!!!!

NOOO! I WILL NOT BE DENIED!!!!

Such a great game. It was PERFECT.

The two Cybertron games are so fucking great. Ripping the Insecticons up as Grimlok was incredibly satisfying.
AWWW YIIIIS.

Grimlok was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Honestly, when the "worst" part of the game is controlling Optimus Prime... which is still awesome... you're doing something right.

The voice acting was top notch and the delivery of lines, amazing.

AWWW YIIIIS.

Grimlok was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Honestly, when the "worst" part of the game is controlling Optimus Prime... which is still awesome... you're doing something right.

The voice acting was top notch and the delivery of lines, amazing.
I was really surprised at how good the overall story was. I loved the way they handled Grimlok's de-evolution, among other things. I genuinely felt bad for the guy as his chapter progressed.

Man, forever I had thought about why I liked Final Fantasy 8 more than 9 despite 8 being dumb as mud with a terrible mechanic in the draw system. Then, finally, it dawned on me. 8 has one of the best minigames ever. Triple Triad. Hell, it's so fun, the forums even had a game based on it for a time. 9 followed up Triple Triad with that abortion of a card game Tetra Master. Fuck Tetra Master. Fuck you Final Fantasy 9.

Man, forever I had thought about why I liked Final Fantasy 8 more than 9 despite 8 being dumb as mud with a terrible mechanic in the draw system. Then, finally, it dawned on me. 8 has one of the best minigames ever. Triple Triad. Hell, it's so fun, the forums even had a game based on it for a time. 9 followed up Triple Triad with that abortion of a card game Tetra Master. Fuck Tetra Master. Fuck you Final Fantasy 9.
I hate FF8, but I had an affection for Triple Triad. And yeah, Tetra Master was a poor excuse/replacement.

But Blitzball is still the best FF minigame.

GasBandit

Staff member
Augh gawd... I hated triple triad, didn't play 9, and absolutely abhored blitzball. Maybe I was the only one.

FF8 also started the trend of linking minigames to getting the best equipment in the game. I hated that shit. Just send me on a quest or something.

Also, EverQuest II has this thing called SoEmote. It calibrates your character to your webcam, and uses motion tracking to match your eye/mouth/head movements to the character. It's a bizarre but hilarious feature.

I felt FF8's Triple Triad was a time saver, but not necessarily required for the best equipment and junctions. Modding cards could get you the magic and crafting components faster, but you could still farm enemies and draw the magic manually, generally speaking.

Plus Rinoa is hot. Hotter than Tifa, hotter than Garnet, hotter than Yuna and Lulu and Rikku.

I've been slowly playing the Steam version of FF8. It comes with a Draw Booster that basically gives you 100 of a list of spells (excluding the super OP stuff like Ultima/Meltdown/etc). I used it because fuck Draw. The game's a lot more fun without worrying about it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hotter than Tifa? Isn't that some kind of FF sacrilege/blasphemy? Sure, maybe the later Advent-Children-Emo-look tifa... but it's hard to beat the shorts, tank top and suspenders Tifa. She's got huuuuuuge... value to the party as a damage dealer.