Random Video Game Crap

LOL, yeah, the website closing for the evening is some of the weirdest only the government would do something this fucking backwards thing.
The only time I've had to deal with this, it was because the machine hosting the website was actually on-site because the rules mandated that information could not be stored on hardware not owned by the department, but at the same time there was another rule mandating that all computers had to be powered down at the end of business.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
That's always what kills going back to old games for me, too. I came to rely on mods, and they don't work on the latest version... immediately kills my interest in games like Cities Skylines, Oxygen Not Included, Skyrim, etc.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, I got into the Darktide closed beta. It BARELY runs on my PC (and by that I mean it runs but I get about 10-15 fps). Doesn't run in Windows 7 so I had to reboot into Windows 10 for the first time in 2 years and then do all kinds of driver updates and whatnot. People with 3080ti cards are also reporting they can't get 60fps, so I'm hoping that as optimization comes, I'll get improvements as well.

Anyway, even at slideshow framerates, the game is fun. As expected, it is basically Vermintide 2 but in Warhammer 40k, with some tweaks. For example, my favorite special ability in Vermintide 2 (gain health when doing damage) is now a basic mechanic for every character. There's 2 kinds of health, health and "toughness" and you only lose health when you run out of toughness. Health is restored by health packs and healing stations as one would expect, but toughness is restored by killing enemies or just being in proximity to your teammates. The upshot here is, if all 4 of you cluster together and start swinging wide with melee weapons, you are a collective force of nature. I like that mechanic - it promotes teamwork and sticking together.

Right now there's only 4 classes (one for each character), but they plan to add more every quarter going forward. That sounds kinda disappointing given that V2 launched with 15 careers, but your class is highly customizable as you level up. There's also selectable origin story elements like home planet, type of childhood, and defining moment of your life but I'm not sure what bearing those have on gameplay, if any.

Grenades got a new interesting mechanic too, you can throw them overhand or underhand depending on whether you left or right click - overhand goes further and staggers if it hits somebody (even before it blows up) but bounces and skids, whereas underhand allows more precise placement. Oh, and the Ogryn just chucks the entire box the grenades come in, but until you unlock a special ability later, he forgets to pull the pins - which means he just does high impact damage to a single target (assuming he gets a direct hit).

I've only played two classes so far, the Veteran Marksman and the Ogryn, and so far I am thinking the Ogryn actually suits my playstyle better (though maybe it's just harder to get headshots at <15 fps). The ogryn can charge through groups of enemies, knocking them to the ground and staggering large enemies on impact. The Veteran can activate a kind of targeting mode for 4 seconds that brightly silhouettes elite enemies so he can more easily shoot/prioritize them - and given the grimdark ambiance, this does indeed make it MUCH easier to shoot them.

So far I haven't found a crafting mechanic, but completing missions and leveling up get you new weapons and cash to spend on buying new weapons.

At first a lot of people had problems with queues 10s of thousands of players long, but I haven't run into that once. There have been a few unfortunate crashes, but this is an early beta, after all.

It BARELY runs on my PC [...] People with 3080ti cards are also reporting they can't get 60fps, so I'm hoping that as optimization comes, I'll get improvements as well.
Lately, the stated minimums for upcoming AAA video games has been: 16GB or even 32GB RAM, 1060 or even 1660, and of course WinX.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Lately, the stated minimums for upcoming AAA video games has been: 16GB or even 32GB RAM, 1060 or even 1660, and of course WinX.
But given that this is basically the same engine as Vermintide 2, it seems like an artificial requirement that enables lazy optimization.

It runs better if I run in true full screen, but I used to not have to do that.

I don't even like 7! It's just every windows since XP has been worse than the previous!
In one week, it'll be pretty much exactly 13 years since Windows 7 released, and 21 years since XP ;)

The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones
(I'm mildly needling you. Though I've never really had any issues with the newer windows versions I've upgraded to)

I don't even like 7! It's just every windows since XP has been worse than the previous!
Have you considered Linux? Gaming on the deck has really wowed me with how far linux gaming has come. It's incredibly rare that I come across a game I just can't get to work

Game: We don't support Linux
Linux: I don't believe you

GasBandit

Staff member
Have you considered Linux? Gaming on the deck has really wowed me with how far linux gaming has come. It's incredibly rare that I come across a game I just can't get to work

Game: We don't support Linux
Linux: I don't believe you
I ordered a steam deck too, so I guess I'll be finding out soon!

GasBandit

Staff member
I was playing a Psyker in darktide. I hadn't picked up a single ammo pickup the entire match, and then suddenly this other dude was yelling at me for hogging ammo. Claimed I had jumped on and snagged 4 ammo drops in a row. I have no idea what he was smoking. Dude, my ranged attack is my brain and it doesn't use ammo.

I haven't experienced this, but Snuffles has apparently gotten like 3 matches where one of his teammates would focus-fire him to death. I just double checked, Terrik hasn't been playing.

Amazing how early the toxic dumbshittery is setting in. This shit is why I like to only play with people I know from outside the game.

GasBandit

Staff member
Can confirm, Borderlands games are a lot of fun to play with your significant other. Though, I think 2 is better than 1.

• Agree
Reactions: Far
I hope that means that they'll continue making those remasters of Command and Conquer games. The first one was excellent.

Reviews are starting to come in for Gotham Knights and...whew, it's not looking good. It sounds grindy as fuck, almost like it was originally meant to be an Avengers-like live service.

Pretty much everything I was dreading when I saw the first gameplay footage.

I'm watching this video right now and he's explaining the part about how to unlock fast travel (around the 10:45 mark) and Jesus Christ, it doesn't sound fun at all.

Spend 2000 Batpoints to make the drone land immediately?
More like "See that drone flying around? Stare at it until it unlocks the fast travel for the area. Oh, it has a shield? Guess you'll have to WAIT FOR IT TO LAND and THEN stare at it! Nope, there is no way to break that shield."

figmentPez

Staff member
More like "See that drone flying around? Stare at it until it unlocks the fast travel for the area. Oh, it has a shield? Guess you'll have to WAIT FOR IT TO LAND and THEN stare at it! Nope, there is no way to break that shield."
I meant that the original intent might have been a mobile game-esque "pay to speed up this countdown timer", but when all the micro-transactions were removed from the game, it just resulted in "WAIT".