Random Video Game Crap

American media, even games media, are more and more just focussing on America only. Even non-American English-language sources are only really paying attention over there these days. There's a little coverage on Eurogamer and such, but not much.
I understand that games like Anno, Settlers and Desperados 3 are not really interesting for american gamers. But many of the games announced at E3 were presented with new gameplay footage and playable demos. Resident Evil 2 for example or Cyperpunk 2077. And remember the first game shown in the Nintendo Direct, that confussed some people and were forgotten after the Smash Brother announcement, Deamon X Machina? Nintendo showed gameplay and the creator explained what the game is all about.

When I see that Neverwinter has stuff like

and fricken Curse of Strahd! (!!!)

It makes me want to actually try it, really bad.

THEN I READ THE COMMENTS and it's all people whining about how to spend their tokens from such and such and why is this broken and how come my gear level 1 trillion isn't enough to go to Barovia and etc, etc, etc and I remember it's a fucking MMO and any joy I might garner from being able to play a sweet video game inside of Barovia and Strahd's castle (the best dungeon ever) is going to be sucked out of it because of that.

It's weird to see an ad for PAX West's Nintendo section that boasts, without irony, having "the hottest new games coming to Nintendo Switch, like Diablo III."

Why in the blue sky doesn't Sega release an arcade compilation of THE ARCADE versions of all their games? Why do we need more Genesis compilations, over and over and over?

Give us arcade Shinobi, Golden Axe (and the incredible Revenge of Death Adder that's literally never appeared anywhere but arcades), ESWAT, etc in a collection.

It's super garbage that the only one I could think of in the Genesis PS3 collection was God damn Altered Beast, which is such a shit game.

Why in the blue sky doesn't Sega release an arcade compilation of THE ARCADE versions of all their games? Why do we need more Genesis compilations, over and over and over?

Give us arcade Shinobi, Golden Axe (and the incredible Revenge of Death Adder that's literally never appeared anywhere but arcades), ESWAT, etc in a collection.

It's super garbage that the only one I could think of in the Genesis PS3 collection was God damn Altered Beast, which is such a shit game.
It could be worse, they could be square enix and just port their mobile versions

Because the actual hardware in the Genesis/Master System never really changed, but the hardware inside each cabinet could vary widely from game to game, meaning they would have to account for dozens of different graphic/sound/CPU chips, not to mention how many different combinations of those chips might exist.
Now I hear you saying, “But what about emulators, @PatrThom? There are bunches of emulators out there that can play cabinet games, why can’t Sega just bundle one (or more) of those?”
Ah, excellent question. And the short of it...is that Sega doesn’t own any of those emulators, so if Sega tried to use any of those emulators, then Sega would be stealing, and whoever wrote that emulator would sue the pants off Sega (and win!). Not only that, some of the emulators use code which comes with an agreement that forbids commercial use, meaning that ultimately they would be forced to develop their own emulation engine, from scratch (because they can’t cheat and reuse other people’s code), it would have to be highly optimized and fast (which means Sega would have to hire dedicated emulator people), and THEN they can start talking about releasing official cabinet ROMs to be used with their emulation product.

And then the people who use the already-existing, mature emulators will just import those ROMs into their emulators, and Sega will be screwed.
And they know it.
And that’s why they don’t do it.

—Patrick

They've emulated Altered Beast already for some compilations which is their Sega System 16 hardware which was used for 40 arcade games including Shinobi and Golden Axe.

This is some impressive dark knighting, I didn't even know you could do some of this stuff, and I know I couldn't pull it off this well. Heck, some of it I don't even know what happened:

@LittleKagsin who should see this when she's got internet again.
Goddammit, this makes me want to play it again just to try out some of these tricks. I've done some, but not hacking the flying drone guns and let them explode when I fly by. That would be a HUGE time saver.

Guy decides he wants to propose to his gf & gets Insomnia Games to help him out with their new Spider-Man game.

Turns out the answer is "no" as a few weeks before the game came out Maddie dumped her partner...for his brother!
Turns out the story is far more complicated than that.

Maddie gave a longer statement about the couple’s breakup to the Houston Press, saying the relationship soured some time ago and became a “mother and son relationship where I had to remind him about things.” She added: “The things he has been saying about me hurt and that is something we mutually agreed not to do to each other, but it is not being reciprocated now... I think it’s just easier for him to hate me than to be hurt by my decision to break up. I hope he moves on and finds happiness because that’s exactly what I am doing.”

In subsequent conversations with Kotaku, both acknowledged relationship struggles, including fights and arguments. Maddie discussed the failure of the relationship and lamented the “drama” that was coming from this proposal getting further publicity and for her being viewed as the bad guy. “I don’t want to hurt him,” she said, while also noting that she’d been harassed and threatened on social media. “It’s just ridiculous,” she said.
She also denies "dumping him for his brother" but that that relationship began post break-up.

Hey guys and gals, before you decide to try some big triumphant public proposal, maybe BE FUCKING SURE the person you're proposing to would be up for that kind of thing because Jesus Christ.

Adding even more, she has further denied even being in a relationship with the guy's brother just that they kept in contact after the break-up.

This dude sounds like a grade-A manbaby.

Luckily she doesn't work in the video game industry or there could be a years long revenge fueled crusade against women movement masquerading as ethics suddenly pop up over this.

Here comes a confession. I am a grade Eh! amateur when it comes to emulation. Sure, I've played SNES roms on SNES9X and shit like that, I mean, who hasn't.

I want to do up some MAME, but holy shit, it is actually pretty daunting for someone with my experience.

Dave

Staff member
The problem now is finding good ROMs to go with them. Apparently the gaming industry has been cracking down pretty heavily as they try and bring back "nostalgic" games to make a quick buck.

GasBandit

Staff member
The problem now is finding good ROMs to go with them. Apparently the gaming industry has been cracking down pretty heavily as they try and bring back "nostalgic" games to make a quick buck.
As with most things, the solutions can be found at IPTorrents ;)

Of course, the complete set of CHDs and roms is about 400 gigs...

Dave

Staff member
I have no idea what IPTorrents is. I tell people to go to places like Pirate Bay or something. There's no such thing as IPTorrents. So it can't be seen at all by places like Hollywood or the MPAA.

GasBandit

Staff member
That said, even on private trackers these days, you need a VPN or a seedbox. I got my internet pulled for a day because I torrented a Game of Thrones episode. That's one of my "three strikes." So I got a seedbox in the netherlands, and set it to download and seed all GOT content it finds via RSS, FOREVER.

Dave

Staff member
I still don't have a VPN. I had one for a time but there was a cost involved and it turns out that the company running it was scraping and selling personal data. Then I found out that's a common practice so I said heck with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I still don't have a VPN. I had one for a time but there was a cost involved and it turns out that the company running it was scraping and selling personal data. Then I found out that's a common practice so I said heck with it.
Yeah, and unfortunately most VPNs are still very bandwidth-limited. But it's still better than copyright strikes. 3 of those and you're fuxxored. But by far the best option is a seedbox, preferably in the netherlands, where they regularly tell the MPAA/RIAA/etc to go fuck themselves.

Which VPN, if I may ask? There will come a time when I will finally get one, and when that happens I'll want to know each one's quirks.
(also, last time I checked, IVPN appeared to be the most appealing, by which I mean "tracks you the least.")

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
They aren't around any more, IIRC. Most "free" ones will sell your data, but it was a pretty big deal that one that cost me roughly $15 a month was doing it. And this was years ago. I don't know if I even remember which one it was.

I think I've managed to avoid any warnings on my Spectrum service, but I did pick up a Comcast warning last year for downloading a Disney cartoon - can't remember which one off the top of my head. One of these days I'll wind up going the seedbox route - there's just too much Disney content that I don't want to pay for again (as if they'd even still play half of their classic catalog) and I'd be insane to risk three strikes for The Man from Snowy River, Return to Snowy River, and their ilk.