Random Video Game Crap

GasBandit

Staff member
You could find dozens of people who disagree with anything. This is the internet, where lots of people are wrong.
1988: "Dude... I kinda want to have sex with a toaster." "What? Ew. Don't be a fucking weirdo."
2018: "Google, I want to have sex with a toaster." "Here are results for 2000 online communities about toaster fucking."
WE COULD NOT HAVE FORESEEN THIS PROBLEM

WE COULD NOT HAVE FORESEEN THIS PROBLEM
Richard Jeni prophesized it as early as 2000, possibly earlier but I could not find any citations dated earlier than that in the first few pages of the Google search. Even Avenue Q didn’t come out until 2002.

—Patrick

More Subnautica confused boners.

Also, as one helpful commentor on Reddit pointed out... do you guys remember where the power cell goes in the Seamoth?

I fucking hate whatever Steam did in that big update they did. It opens a new icon on my bottom bar in Windows now, always hangs whenever I literally do anything and for some reason thinks I continue to play games even after I close them, so I can't play anything until I literally quit Steam and restart it.

Fuck.

I fucking hate whatever Steam did in that big update they did. It opens a new icon on my bottom bar in Windows now, always hangs whenever I literally do anything and for some reason thinks I continue to play games even after I close them, so I can't play anything until I literally quit Steam and restart it.

Fuck.
Yeah, I noticed yesterday when I exited EGS to clear my RAM that there were seven instances of Steam Web Client Helper running as background processes and each of them was eating a gig of RAM. This was in addition to the 6 GB that the game itself had been using. I'm starting to think that EGS' lack of optimization might not be the only issue hampering performance. Later, when I was done sulking and licking my wounds for a bit, I went to log back into EGS (having not played anything Steam related since closing all of those processes, Steam was open but I hadn't launched any games or updated anything - including workshop content) and there they all were again, seven background processes, 7GB of RAM taken up for... nothing? It's a good thing I have more than 8GB of RAM now. And yes, the stupid new icon thing is ridiculous.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't experienced what you guys are, but I don't doubt you. I wonder if it isn't a steam+win10 thing. On Win 7, I've still got the same old icon and the same old memory useage (but the new godawful friends list and chat interface).

I haven't experienced what you guys are, but I don't doubt you. I wonder if it isn't a steam+win10 thing. On Win 7, I've still got the same old icon and the same old memory useage (but the new godawful friends list and chat interface).
I have Win10 and haven’t seen this problems, so i don’t think it’s that. But I have no idea what the actual cause might be.

I have Win10 and also have no extra RAM usage, but then as you know I also shut Steam down when I'm not using it so wonder if that's related.

--Patrick

Well, so far today (after leaving the Steam app running overnight, downloading the EGS dedicated server tool, attempting to run and configure said tool, and a whole bunch of other nonsense that was directly and indirectly related to Steam), I've got one Steam app running, and one background process, and no RAM issues. If it pops up again, I'll investigate further. For now I'm going to assume that it had something to do with Steam attempting to connect and authenticate multiple times, since it was also timing out when attempting to connect to the Store and steamstat.us showed a pretty massive slowdown on all of their network at the time (right around the time that the ping times hit 300+ on the server too).

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, so far today (after leaving the Steam app running overnight, downloading the EGS dedicated server tool, attempting to run and configure said tool, and a whole bunch of other nonsense that was directly and indirectly related to Steam), I've got one Steam app running, and one background process, and no RAM issues. If it pops up again, I'll investigate further. For now I'm going to assume that it had something to do with Steam attempting to connect and authenticate multiple times, since it was also timing out when attempting to connect to the Store and steamstat.us showed a pretty massive slowdown on all of their network at the time (right around the time that the ping times hit 300+ on the server too).
I'm pretty sure something extra fucky happened to the Telia backbone in dallas last night.

figmentPez

Staff member
I have Win10 and haven’t seen this problems, so i don’t think it’s that. But I have no idea what the actual cause might be.
Same here. Steam + Win10, no problems. Though I'm using the Steam Beta since it gets me new updates for the Steam Controller faster.

I'm going to guess that the offending part of Steam is the new chat client, that's the biggest change lately.

I randomly had this problem for a few months, not consistently, but I did have to restart Steam to start new games a couple of times. It's gone away now, but I'm pretty sure it was happening before the new patch stuff.

This isn't only on Nintendo, but I think Nintendo has the worst attitude about it.
I haven't watched the video yet, but I hope that within it, he (more eloquently than I could) expresses the same sort of blazing contempt that I hold for companies who maintain such a stranglehold on their IP that they would rather see it LITERALLY DIE due to bit rot/format shift/obsolescence/etc. rather than let anyone else EVER have the chance to do anything with it without paying some fee to the company for its use.

I also feel the same way about Disney and their Holocaust denier-level of willful obstruction towards certain items in their catalog.

--Patrick

I haven't watched the video yet, but I hope that within it, he (more eloquently than I could) expresses the same sort of blazing contempt that I hold for companies who maintain such a stranglehold on their IP that they would rather see it LITERALLY DIE due to bit rot/format shift/obsolescence/etc. rather than let anyone else EVER have the chance to do anything with it without paying some fee to the company for its use.
Yes.

I actually follow a YouTuber that does every possible thing you could do in Stardew Valley, and I could totally see him modding the game to do that. :p

Aw man. I was finally gonna get a PS4 for Spider-Man. And decided to pre-order the special Spider-Man console, which came with the game.

And it's sold out. :(

Maybe I'll see about getting a PS4 on sale during Black Friday or something.

Is it just me or isn't there much coverage of Gamescom 2018 ?
American media, even games media, are more and more just focussing on America only. Even non-American English-language sources are only really paying attention over there these days. There's a little coverage on Eurogamer and such, but not much.