Random Video Game Crap

I never said I played it, but I have been present/watching while it's played. Some parts of it stand out more than others, but not enough to make me think that was it.

Now, America's Army I'll never forget, because if Mr. Z woke me up one more time yelling "CIGARETTE!" I was going to beat him to death with his own computer.

GasBandit

Staff member
Honestly GB getting all wadded up over people not liking the comic is funnier than the comic itself.
It wouldn't be an issue if you guys would just cut out the "being wrong about everything" stuff :p

I mean, what was I supposed to do, let DAVE get away with calling something "not funny?!"

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL that there's a company that makes a $500 NES clone (the Analogue Nt Mini). I had no inkling that such a market would exist. I'm not really sure what this thing does for NES games that a Raspberry Pi running an emulator doesn't do (aside from running the game from an actual cartridge). They throw around FPGA as a buzzword magic charm, as if a reverse-engineered software programmed chip isn't just another form of emulation (at least, I assume this isn't just a copy of the original NES chip, since there's talk of a firmware update that will allow it to emulate an Atari 2600 and possibly other hardware).

TIL that there's a company that makes a $500 NES clone (the Analogue Nt Mini). I had no inkling that such a market would exist. I'm not really sure what this thing does for NES games that a Raspberry Pi running an emulator doesn't do (aside from running the game from an actual cartridge). They throw around FPGA as a buzzword magic charm, as if a reverse-engineered software programmed chip isn't just another form of emulation (at least, I assume this isn't just a copy of the original NES chip, since there's talk of a firmware update that will allow it to emulate an Atari 2600 and possibly other hardware).
They've been around for a while, but they don't sell many (obviously).
One of its biggest selling points is actual, honest-to-God 1080p compatibility.

--Patrick

Oh yeah, the thing with the housing milled from a single block of aluminum. Figured it was aimed at gamers who are also A/V enthusiasts, they probably wouldn't blink at the price.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'd try it with games on my phone, but I don't think any of the games I have properly support it, and the software to have it emulate touch screen controls requires rooting. Not that I do a lot of gaming on my phone anyway. It connects fine, and I assume emulators know how to accept inputs from it.
Got an emulator (RetroArch) for my phone, didn't realize you could run emulators without root. The 8Bitdo works fantastic as an SNES pad on my phone, as expected.

figmentPez

Staff member
One of the craziest things to come from the Link to the Past Randomizer is this run through of two different seeds, on one controller:

figmentPez

Staff member
I stumbled across this video on the state of WiiU emulation. I was surprised at how much works for such a relatively recent system. However, I was a little baffled at some of the titles that the video chose to cover. Why does it matter how well you can emulate the WiiU version of Batman Arkham City? It already exists on PC!

Even more confusing was emulating the virtual console. "Hey, I heard you like emulators, so I put a SNES emulator in your WiiU emulator, so you can emulate while you emulate!" Of course it doesn't work well you buffoon! Just play Mario Kart on bsnes or Snes9x... :facepalm:

I stumbled across this video on the state of WiiU emulation. I was surprised at how much works for such a relatively recent system. However, I was a little baffled at some of the titles that the video chose to cover. Why does it matter how well you can emulate the WiiU version of Batman Arkham City? It already exists on PC!

Even more confusing was emulating the virtual console. "Hey, I heard you like emulators, so I put a SNES emulator in your WiiU emulator, so you can emulate while you emulate!" Of course it doesn't work well you buffoon! Just play Mario Kart on bsnes or Snes9x... :facepalm:

The reason Arkham City is used as a benchmark is because it doesn't run very well on the WiiU Hardware, so it's a good title to show how well your emulator is working, and how well it can take advantage of upscaling and the increased power of the rig you're running it on. Same for the virtual console, it shows how well your emulation software is... well, emulating, since that's one of the more difficult tasks of the WiiU (because emulation is hard)

Found this gem through a suggested video on Fig's post:

It's extraordinary the amount of time and consideration the FTL devs put in to create the award-winning game. For example, the original concept including zooming out from micromanaging your ship in order to fight MULTIPLE ships. But they realized that was too much to juggle all at once. They also realized the ship combat should all take place on one screen. And they were inspired by, of all things, TETRIS.

I'm only 15 minutes into the video so far, but it's fascinating stuff. It makes me appreciate the game even more.

On the other hand, it makes me madder to think about all these lazy "developers" on Steam who slap dash an asset-flipped "game" with endless bugs. Because they put no thought or time into actually honing the game to make it something worthwhile. Those kinds of developers - developers like Kobra Studio and Digital Homicdie - have absolutely no right to be on Steam. Of course, Digital Homicide ISN'T on Steam anymore, but devs like them shouldn't be, either.

Okay, I've gotten rather hooked on GDC presentations. It's fascinating to see a developer's progress as they pick apart their game, make big or small changes, to improve their game. For example, Ojiro Fumoto, developer of Downwell. Downwell is a small, simple, arcade-like game. It was also his first game. He walks through the development process in his presentation. Once again, even in a small game like this, he takes a lot of care to improve on the game and get it right.

I'm always pretty surprised at how each and every new WWE game can possibly outshit the ones before it.

Jesus guys, really?

Jim published his Squirty Play video of The Slaughtering grounds on Nov 1, 2014.

Three years. THREE YEARS Jim has been feuding with Digital Homicide. I'm honestly amazed at this debacle's journey. We had:

-Review the Reviewer
-A copyright takedown notice
-Countless attempts to one-up Jim like making him a Slaughtering Grounds trading card
-Calling him out on Twitter
-The infamous hour and a half long interview
-Studio name changing to hide that they're still pumping out endless crap games
-Threatening to sue Jim
-ACTUALLY attempting to sue Jim
-Attempting to sue 100 Steam users
-Getting banned from Steam

I'm sure I'm missing a few things in this insane roller-coaster ride. I don't even know what you could call it anymore. It's bigger than a saga at this point.

Jim published his Squirty Play video of The Slaughtering grounds on Nov 1, 2014.

Three years. THREE YEARS Jim has been feuding with Digital Homicide. I'm honestly amazed at this debacle's journey. We had:

-Review the Reviewer
-A copyright takedown notice
-Countless attempts to one-up Jim like making him a Slaughtering Grounds trading card
-Calling him out on Twitter
-The infamous hour and a half long interview
-Studio name changing to hide that they're still pumping out endless crap games
-Threatening to sue Jim
-ACTUALLY attempting to sue Jim
-Attempting to sue 100 Steam users
-Getting banned from Steam

I'm sure I'm missing a few things in this insane roller-coaster ride. I don't even know what you could call it anymore. It's bigger than a saga at this point.
Hah! I didn't know about the trading card thing. Actually considering the whole personality rights thing does that mean the only actual infringing in this whole mess was by DH on Jim Sterling?

Maybe he should sue...