Random Video Game Crap

GasBandit

Staff member
The first one is Super Mario, obvs.

Second one is Counterstrike, which since it is free and old, is inundated with Russians. "Cyka Blyat" is a common malformed russian insult shouted repeatedly whenever russians are present/common in a game. It literally means "whore bitch" but is used as a general expletive, like we use "fucking shit." Depicted: terrorists tell Mrs Terrorist about her dead husband Terrorist.

Third one: Overwatch. Here the situation is just being pushed into the territory of ridiculousness, where Hanzos are telling Mrs Hanzo that her husband Hanzo died. Perhaps commentary on "too many snipers" before quick play had duplicate heroes removed. Added comedic bonus: One of Mrs Hanzo's kids looks like Genji.

Mmm, I'm with Dave on this one. I think the problem was with the second two, at least from a first glance, looked to generic. I thought the middle one was Team Fortress and the third one could have been...well, a shit ton of games.

The first one is Super Mario, obvs.

Second one is Counterstrike, which since it is free and old, is inundated with Russians. "Cyka Blyat" is a common malformed russian insult shouted repeatedly whenever russians are present/common in a game. It literally means "whore bitch" but is used as a general expletive, like we use "fucking shit." Depicted: terrorists tell Mrs Terrorist about her dead husband Terrorist.

Third one: Overwatch. Here the situation is just being pushed into the territory of ridiculousness, where Hanzos are telling Mrs Hanzo that her husband Hanzo died. Perhaps commentary on "too many snipers" before quick play had duplicate heroes removed. Added comedic bonus: One of Mrs Hanzo's kids looks like Genji.
Ah, so only the first one was...
Only the first one was funny, then. Gotcha.
:eek: MY SENSE OF HUMOUR HAS STOPPED WORKING! AAAAAAHHHH!!!!! :aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah:

I got #1 and #3, I've just never played Counterstrike: Anything. I figured that's what it was (a CS reference), I just didn't get the reference, except that it was probably the same premise as the other two.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Mmm, I'm with Dave on this one. I think the problem was with the second two, at least from a first glance, looked to generic. I thought the middle one was Team Fortress and the third one could have been...well, a shit ton of games.
Yeah, but you're even more out of the gaming loop than he is :/

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, you think they're out of the gaming loop because they don't play Counterstrike? What loop are you on?
Seriously, this is mainstream gamer culture stuff here.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Current Players Peak Today Game

674,796 706,358 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
567,878 890,135 Dota 2
74,487 74,487 ARK: Survival Evolved
65,648 65,648 For Honor Open Beta
63,513 65,918 Team Fortress 2
55,231 55,231 Rocket League
55,129 55,129 Rust
51,796 55,591 Football Manager 2017
50,319 69,559 Grand Theft Auto V
45,827 45,827 Garry's Mod

Even after all these years, CSGO's pretty much always on top on steam, sometimes trading places with DOTA.

So, no, you don't have to play it, but don't try to claim it is obscure.[DOUBLEPOST=1486759963,1486759880][/DOUBLEPOST]
Pretty sure he was referring to Overwatch
That too. Even if you don't play it, Overwatch pop culture/memery has been downright inescapable for the last 6 months.

The set up started with a very culturally broad joke and then laser focused in on some highly specific jokes with limited appeal, killing the flow of the overall joke.

GasBandit

Staff member
The set up started with a very culturally broad joke and then laser focused in on some highly specific jokes with limited appeal, killing the flow of the overall joke.
I hate to sound like a broken record, but CSGO and Overwatch are both massively popular in the gaming community.

So, I hope you guys can forgive me for posting gaming humor in the gaming thread.

figmentPez

Staff member
I recognized all three panels, but I didn't, and still don't, know what they added to the joke. "Cyka Blyat" isn't part of pop culture, and I have no idea why it's being used as the punchline. And even though I recognized the characters as Overwatch, and even knew the kids were play acting ultimates... I don't get what it adds to the joke. The second and third panels are just weaker versions of the first. They don't add any twists to the concept, or in any way make the joke specific to the games they're referencing. (Honestly, it would have made more sense for the terrorist wife to letting out a tearful "Cyka Blyat"...)

And, as long as I'm analyzing the comic, why the hell is Larry Koopa talking about his father as "your husband"?

GasBandit

Staff member
Songs about "Me Still Go Face" exist as well, that doesn't mean that everyone who has heard of Hearthstone knows that taunt is cheating.
That doesn't mean jokes about it aren't funny or are esoteric/arcane. The top result on youtube for "Me Still Go Face" has 4.4 million views (the Cyka Blyat video I linked has 5.5 million). There are a lot of people who understand it. That the fogey casuals of halforums don't doesn't mean it's not funny.

I'm sure the gamers got it.
TIL I'm a gamer.
That doesn't mean jokes about it aren't funny or are esoteric/arcane. The top result on youtube for "Me Still Go Face" has 4.4 million views (the Cyka Blyat video I linked has 5.5 million). There are a lot of people who understand it. That the fogey casuals of halforums don't doesn't mean it's not funny.
TIL GasBandit thinks "everyone" understands and totally gets: Christianity, Windows 7, Google searching, and League of Legends, just because they're all the most popular in their category.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL GasBandit thinks "everyone" understands and totally gets: Christianity, Windows 7, Google searching, and League of Legends, just because they're all the most popular in their category.

--Patrick
Well, at the very least, jokes about them are pretty mainstream :p

Gas is just swimming in the cesspool of all internet memes, and can't realize that the rest of us are not. It's not his fault! ;)
I thought *I* was swimming in the cesspool of all Internet memes?
Oh, wait...it's just an Internet cesspool.

--Patrick

Yeah, but you're even more out of the gaming loop than he is :/
Pardon me, but for the record, but I do know Counter-Strike(Mr. Z played a lot), though I don't know that Cyka-whatev, and as you said, it's hard NOT to know Overwatch. Usually I can pick these things out, but I still stand by the illustrations being so generic that they could have been referencing a number of games released in the last 30 years. It's not like the Mario reference set the tone.