Question on the handling of Warnings/Infractions/Bans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Today we had a bit of a kerfuffle. Seems a couple of our users can't play nice together and it kind of exploded in the background. I'm not naming names, but I think everyone can figure out who they are.

So here's my question. One of them basically questioned the mods saying we don't really do anything around here. What we had to explain is that hell yeah we do, but none of you can see it going on. We generally take things to PM or the Mod only board to discuss before we do anything.

Well, the person in question said that perceived inaction is de facto inaction. Now, I'm of the mind that you praise in public and punish in private, which is a well-known business management tactic for smoother workplace morale. But the question is, does this necessarily apply in this case?

So I'm asking you for a discussion on the topic. Should we be more transparent with our infractions, warnings and bans? Please tell us why or why not. Note that no changes will be done right this second. It's not the kind of thing you rush into.

Dave

Staff member
In the PM the dude was taunting NR. NR told him to stop and he kept doing it. I'd have done the same thing.

I like it the way it is. We're not 15 year olds and we don't need our hands held. Do what you have to do in private and leave it at that. Although a small note in the thread saying you've handled it and people need to drop it wouldn't hurt.

Cajungal

Staff member
I personally say we leave things as they are. This is all very "damned if you do, damned of you don't." Someone is always going to be bitching. I'd rather keep things behind the scenes and just tell the truth *if* someone asks.

I say keep it the way it is now. It is not your fault that some individuals want to act like spoiled brats who get mad when they get their hands smacked.

I don't think we should reward trolls and such with a notice to everyone that they've been banned. The attention is kinda what they're after. The punishment should be handled privately to prevent that.

Arguments outside of pure trolling do happen, but then I certainly would not like it to be known that I was banned because I got angry and said something that I didn't mean or that was taken the wrong way. (not that it has ever happened) (you dickwads)

TL;DR, I like things the way they are

I think making users who are banned appear different in posts might go a long way to helping the situation. As it is there's no way to know if someone is banned, so it appears as if nothing happens. This is particularly true when people don't check the site everyday. While you don't want to go sowing letters onto peoples clothes, seeing a cop car with it's lights on does let people know that law enforcement does actually do their job.

Out of curiosity, have there been any kind of bans or temp bans that haven't been announced? No need to name names. I'm just curious.

Dave

Staff member
Out of curiosity, have there been any kind of bans or temp bans that haven't been announced? No need to name names. I'm just curious.
Chippy was gone a week and wouldn't have been named had he not come in and posted as a guest.

Someone else was banhammered today.

I think it does show up on their profiles, but that's it.

It could help knowing where the line is to know what's bannable. But I mean. I don't think that's been a problem. If anything y'all err on the side of giving too much notice / warning that people are over the line. Not saying you should ban more by any stretch, just that getting banned "out of nowhere" doesn't really seem to be a problem I've noticed.

I think that it should stay the way it is. But then again, I understand the workings of message boards/forums/IRC channels and know there are areas just for mods and admin. No one is making any of us come here. Don't like the way the forum is run, then go start your own and run it your way.

Well, the person in question said that perceived inaction is de facto inaction.
It's an understandable opinion, had you not posted this thread, I would have never known there was any activity.

Is it possible to have a blind list that shows your moderation activities? We have one in the paper each week for the police activities.

X infractions given
XXX spambots deleted
Y people banned

Just to let people know at a glance that your work is needed and appreciated?

Dave

Staff member
It's an understandable opinion, had you not posted this thread, I would have never known there was any activity.
Ha! The discussion between the mods and the involved parties has something like 60 replies in it and the mod only thread has 24. Three threads were deleted and a number of posts in other threads were as well. In addition, several edits were made to existing posts and emails were exchanged.

So...the fact you didn't see any of that is a feather in our cap, in my estimation. ;)

It could help knowing where the line is to know what's bannable. But I mean. I don't think that's been a problem. If anything y'all err on the side of giving too much notice / warning that people are over the line. Not saying you should ban more by any stretch, just that getting banned "out of nowhere" doesn't really seem to be a problem I've noticed.
Agreed; it's not really been a problem I could see. Mods have been pretty clear with warnings.
I think if someone says "Continue doing ___insert action here____ and you're getting temp-banned" that should be a clear indicator that banning is imminent and you shouldn't goad the mod at that point.

ElJuski

Staff member
I love that reading this thread pretty much narrows down who our culprit is.

A few things:
  • you guys are doing things fine. No need to re-invent the wheel.
  • I find it hilarious that banned people have to come back in as guests and whine or make a fuss. This is something my emotionally-disturbed teenagers do. Some things you never grow out of!
  • Why do people treat the internet so seriously!? It boggles my mind that people with jobs, lives, wives and children act like this goddamn website is the end-all social key to their existence.
  • What do toenails even do, really? And why does it send a shiver down your spine when you think of splitting one in half?

• What do toenails even do, really? And why does it send a shiver down your spine when you think of splitting one in half?
I don't know what they really do, but I did split my big toenail a few days ago. Trimming it back so it wouldn't catch on my socks turned me into a sissy-girl.

Leave it as-is. If someone thinks bans should be publicly debated they can find another message board that does that. That's not on topic here, and we're better off for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.