Export thread

Question on the handling of Warnings/Infractions/Bans.

Dave

Dave

Today we had a bit of a kerfuffle. Seems a couple of our users can't play nice together and it kind of exploded in the background. I'm not naming names, but I think everyone can figure out who they are.

So here's my question. One of them basically questioned the mods saying we don't really do anything around here. What we had to explain is that hell yeah we do, but none of you can see it going on. We generally take things to PM or the Mod only board to discuss before we do anything.

Well, the person in question said that perceived inaction is de facto inaction. Now, I'm of the mind that you praise in public and punish in private, which is a well-known business management tactic for smoother workplace morale. But the question is, does this necessarily apply in this case?

So I'm asking you for a discussion on the topic. Should we be more transparent with our infractions, warnings and bans? Please tell us why or why not. Note that no changes will be done right this second. It's not the kind of thing you rush into.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So, you can get banned for PMs now?

Dave

Dave

In the PM the dude was taunting NR. NR told him to stop and he kept doing it. I'd have done the same thing.

LittleSin

LittleSin

If a PM is harassing and unapologetic I would most certainly ban the fucker.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Once again, a time when someone doesn't know when to just back off.

Shakey

Shakey

I like it the way it is. We're not 15 year olds and we don't need our hands held. Do what you have to do in private and leave it at that. Although a small note in the thread saying you've handled it and people need to drop it wouldn't hurt.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I personally say we leave things as they are. This is all very "damned if you do, damned of you don't." Someone is always going to be bitching. I'd rather keep things behind the scenes and just tell the truth *if* someone asks.

Chippy

Chippy

hey guys, it wasn't me for once

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Wow, I actually thought it was you Chippy :wololo:

Dave

Dave

hey guys, it wasn't me for once
This time!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm still assuming it was Chippy, but he said that to throw us off the trail.

Hylian

Hylian

I say keep it the way it is now. It is not your fault that some individuals want to act like spoiled brats who get mad when they get their hands smacked.

Chippy

Chippy

General Specific

General Specific

I don't think we should reward trolls and such with a notice to everyone that they've been banned. The attention is kinda what they're after. The punishment should be handled privately to prevent that.

Arguments outside of pure trolling do happen, but then I certainly would not like it to be known that I was banned because I got angry and said something that I didn't mean or that was taken the wrong way. (not that it has ever happened) (you dickwads)

TL;DR, I like things the way they are

Covar

Covar

I think making users who are banned appear different in posts might go a long way to helping the situation. As it is there's no way to know if someone is banned, so it appears as if nothing happens. This is particularly true when people don't check the site everyday. While you don't want to go sowing letters onto peoples clothes, seeing a cop car with it's lights on does let people know that law enforcement does actually do their job.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Out of curiosity, have there been any kind of bans or temp bans that haven't been announced? No need to name names. I'm just curious.

Dave

Dave

Out of curiosity, have there been any kind of bans or temp bans that haven't been announced? No need to name names. I'm just curious.
Chippy was gone a week and wouldn't have been named had he not come in and posted as a guest.

Someone else was banhammered today.

I think it does show up on their profiles, but that's it.

Dave

Dave

And it does not say anything on their profile.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Why did I instinctively look at Mathias' profile when you said it shows up on profiles?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I say leave it as is.

But again I miss drama due to being employed.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It could help knowing where the line is to know what's bannable. But I mean. I don't think that's been a problem. If anything y'all err on the side of giving too much notice / warning that people are over the line. Not saying you should ban more by any stretch, just that getting banned "out of nowhere" doesn't really seem to be a problem I've noticed.

Dave

Dave

In this case it was a 24 hour ban that went to a week thanks to guest posting.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I think that it should stay the way it is. But then again, I understand the workings of message boards/forums/IRC channels and know there are areas just for mods and admin. No one is making any of us come here. Don't like the way the forum is run, then go start your own and run it your way.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well, the person in question said that perceived inaction is de facto inaction.
It's an understandable opinion, had you not posted this thread, I would have never known there was any activity.

Is it possible to have a blind list that shows your moderation activities? We have one in the paper each week for the police activities.

X infractions given
XXX spambots deleted
Y people banned

Just to let people know at a glance that your work is needed and appreciated?

BananaHands

BananaHands

Guys, I was the one who got banned.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Guys, I was the one who got banned.
Waaaait a minute...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

No, I was the one who got banned.

Dave

Dave

It's an understandable opinion, had you not posted this thread, I would have never known there was any activity.
Ha! The discussion between the mods and the involved parties has something like 60 replies in it and the mod only thread has 24. Three threads were deleted and a number of posts in other threads were as well. In addition, several edits were made to existing posts and emails were exchanged.

So...the fact you didn't see any of that is a feather in our cap, in my estimation. ;)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It could help knowing where the line is to know what's bannable. But I mean. I don't think that's been a problem. If anything y'all err on the side of giving too much notice / warning that people are over the line. Not saying you should ban more by any stretch, just that getting banned "out of nowhere" doesn't really seem to be a problem I've noticed.
Agreed; it's not really been a problem I could see. Mods have been pretty clear with warnings.
I think if someone says "Continue doing ___insert action here____ and you're getting temp-banned" that should be a clear indicator that banning is imminent and you shouldn't goad the mod at that point.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So...the fact you didn't see any of that is a feather in our cap, in my estimation. ;)
I was reading a book :(

ElJuski

ElJuski

I love that reading this thread pretty much narrows down who our culprit is.

A few things:
  • you guys are doing things fine. No need to re-invent the wheel.
  • I find it hilarious that banned people have to come back in as guests and whine or make a fuss. This is something my emotionally-disturbed teenagers do. Some things you never grow out of!
  • Why do people treat the internet so seriously!? It boggles my mind that people with jobs, lives, wives and children act like this goddamn website is the end-all social key to their existence.
  • What do toenails even do, really? And why does it send a shiver down your spine when you think of splitting one in half?

Bubble181

Bubble181

I was reading a book :(
All because of Dave. :)

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

• What do toenails even do, really? And why does it send a shiver down your spine when you think of splitting one in half?
I don't know what they really do, but I did split my big toenail a few days ago. Trimming it back so it wouldn't catch on my socks turned me into a sissy-girl.

strawman

strawman

Leave it as-is. If someone thinks bans should be publicly debated they can find another message board that does that. That's not on topic here, and we're better off for it.

fade

fade

hqdefault.jpg

There was gunplay, sir, and I missed it.

SeraRelm

If someone got banned for doing stupid shit, that's their business to deal with. I'm fine with things as is...

Except for ninja edit Dave...

makare

I don't like the attempted humorous editing of posts or mods posting in threads where crap is happening and just ignoring it. That just sends the message that they are ok with it regardless of what is going on behind the scenes.

My feelings on how moderation is handled on this forum is pretty well known so I won't say much beyond that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Look, it's very simple. If [REDACTED] would just stop [REDACTED]ing with [REDACTED], things would be a lot more [REDACTED] around here.

If you ask [REDACTED], all we need to do is [REDACTED] up their [REDACTED] and make sure [REDACTED] sticks there until they're [REDACTED, REDACTED, REDACTED, REDACTED].

SeraRelm

On one hand, I understand your feelings on the matter, makare, and I do agree that sensitive people will find offense easier and therefore require stricter guidelines on behavior around them, but on the other, people should definitely not take internet forums so seriously, and if the mods get super serious over things here, these boards will, in my opinion, become an even more (if they are) unfriendly, unwelcoming place.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Look, it's very simple. If [REDACTED] would just stop [REDACTED]ing with [REDACTED], things would be a lot more [REDACTED] around here.

If you ask [REDACTED], all we need to do is [REDACTED] up their [REDACTED] and make sure [REDACTED] sticks there until they're [REDACTED, REDACTED, REDACTED, REDACTED].
You're a couple of hours late. I made the same joke in another thread earlier today.
And when I made that joke, it was incredibly original, never done before, a work of art. Yours is just imitation, trying too hard to be funny. :whistling:

BananaHands

BananaHands

His name is Robert Paulson.

SeraRelm

His name...

makare

On one hand, I understand your feelings on the matter, makare, and I do agree that sensitive people will find offense easier and therefore require stricter guidelines on behavior around them, but on the other, people should definitely not take internet forums so seriously, and if the mods get super serious over things here, these boards will, in my opinion, become an even more (if they are) unfriendly, unwelcoming place.

People always seem to say that kind of thing, if there is more moderation the forum will die I've seen it happen! But we don't actually know that would happen. It would be nice to give a bit more moderation a try. On Image, I think it was, we had monthly wipes (which I am not advocating) but that was some strict modding and that forum was doing fine.

I don't know what expectations you have when you hang out with your group of friends but when I do I kind of expect a certain level of common courtesy to those both in our group and those not in our group. That is how I feel about the forum. It isn't about offense it is about, as the rules say, not being a dick. Some people just find that impossible.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If my memory serves me right, we used to complain regularly about the Image moderation. They were rather post-delete and banhammer happy, I think.

makare

There has to be a middle ground. My point wasn't that we should have that heavy of modding I am saying that it didn't kill the forum the way people claim it would.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I don't see a need for a daily report section or the typical USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST airing of dirty laundry. A simple "Banned" in place of a user's title would be an effective means of both public shaming of the guilty party without revealing too much information, and a reminder that the mods are indeed doing their job.

SeraRelm

Others may not share your views on what "being a dick" pertains. As for more moderation, I think it's definitely going on, just not thrown into the limelight. I do agree with Dave's assessment of keeping punishments private and praise public.

makare

I do agree with that. Even having a banned under their name might not be a good idea. Then you get the huffy fan club spouting nonsense about the freedom of speech which pretty much makes me roll my eyes completely to the back of my head.

I think if a post is bad enough to be edited it should probably just be deleted. A message like "this issue is being resolved" without saying what is being done would be nice so at least we know it did not go unnoticed as it seems sometimes.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I say the current system is fine. Users who have been here for a reasonable length of time will be able to see the mods in action, so I really don't think invisible moderation is an issue.

phil

phil

I want a little gallows on the side, with hanging stick figures but the poster's avatar as the head.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I do agree with that. Even having a banned under their name might not be a good idea. Then you get the huffy fan club spouting nonsense about the freedom of speech which pretty much makes me roll my eyes completely to the back of my head.
Anyone who complains about freedom of speech on a privately owned forum needs to get sent back to kindergarten and start all over again, because there ISN'T ANY.

Dave isn't Congress, so he can do whatever the hell he wants, and none of us can do boo about it.

makare

Yes.. I know. That's why I react so painfully. Sometimes.. I weep.

phil

phil

Also links plz.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's funny how makare thinks that moderation, if heavier, would favor her.

SeraRelm

So mean.

Gusto

Gusto

Dave you worry too much. Ever notice how the people who complain about how the moderators work are the ones who often need moderation?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dave you worry too much. Ever notice how the people who complain about how the moderators work are the ones who often need moderation?
"Yes, there may have been complaints, but we banned those people, so now there aren't any. And I'm sure if there are ever complaints again, there suddenly won't be any more complaints then too."

SeraRelm

You guys ever see something just.. happening, and nothing you can do will ch-

I'm just gonna gif this one.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"Yes, there may have been complaints, but we banned those people, so now there aren't any. And I'm sure if there are ever complaints again, there suddenly won't be any more complaints then too."
Those responsible for sacking the sackers have been sacked.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Look, if someone gets into an argument with you in PM, and refuses to stop when you ask them to do so, you have every right in the universe to go to the mods about it.

Especially if it's Shego hitting on your wife. ;)

bhamv3

bhamv3

Don't worry everybody, I have a fire hose and I'm prepared to use it.
Fire hose, huh? Is that what you call it?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Mustn't make China joke, want Hun to keep posting here...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sounds like my prom night. :D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Look, if someone gets into an argument with you in PM, and refuses to stop when you ask them to do so, you have every right in the universe to go to the mods about it.

Except if it's Shego hitting on your wife. ;)
FTFY.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Please make Chyna joke
Don't treat you like a woman? Don't treat you like a man?

SeraRelm

I wonder if Shego would hit on my wife...

makare

That's probably why he lives in China

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Paraphrasing, but I recall you telling us your wife was too beautiful to be seen by our lowliness.

So yeah, Shego would probably hit on her.

SeraRelm

Sarcasm.

jwhouk

jwhouk

See, deep down we're all funny people who just need an outlet for our talents.

makare

ew

fade

fade

Please make China joke
I make pee pee in your Coke?

Rovewin

Rovewin

I do like that the punishment takes place in the background but it would be nice to know that something happened. I see threads where things are going down and it does look like mods don't care. It would be nice after some of the shit storms to see a 'warnings issued' or 'problem taken to pms' or something to know that our forum is being looked after.

bhamv3

bhamv3

well... maybe I should? Than I can sceam out, "You get to drink from the fire hose!"
"It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again..."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, I just keep failing to comprehend your meaning.

It's like having a conversation with my wife. :awesome:

Gusto

Gusto

I do like that the punishment takes place in the background but it would be nice to know that something happened. I see threads where things are going down and it does look like mods don't care. It would be nice after some of the shit storms to see a 'warnings issued' or 'problem taken to pms' or something to know that our forum is being looked after.
Usually we mention stuff like that if it's all centralized in one thread, and we do the moderation/lock at the same time.

makare

Man, I just keep failing to comprehend your meaning.

It's like having a conversation with my wife. :awesome:

I'd rather be talking to your wife.. HEY-O

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

A lot of people seem willing to rise to the bait being presented by an asshole. I've generally approved of the moderation here, but banning people seems a (generally) extreme move. It takes two to tango. I know one side might be 'more wrong' than another, but for the love of fuck, a troll can't troll if his target doesn't respond. If people could just keep their conversation going without addressing him, he's just standing in the hall with his flaccid dick hanging out. Don't talk to that guy. He has his dick out. In a hallway.

(In this metaphor, the hallway is a thread. And the guy with his dick out is far, far away, and you don't know or care about him. And you can't see his dick. But, it probably is out.)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Especially if it's Shego hitting on your wife. ;)
Yeah but you went to the mods to brag about it, not complain ;)
She's obviously got good taste, so I'm going to say yes.

SeraRelm

Tastes puns I could make, hmmm.

Frank

Frank

This thread is gross now. Why you guys got to be so gross.

Talkin' bout bangin'!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This thread is gross now. Why you guys got to be so gross.

Talkin' bout bangin'!
Scandalous!

And then Dave looks down on the thread, sees that it's gone off-topic from mod regulations to whose wives can attract Shego's attentions, and smiles, knowing all is right on Halforums.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Just promise me that if I ever get banned, someone makes a BANana'd joke or something.

Seriously guys, it's all I ask.

Docseverin

Docseverin

I am..... Joe Keating.

Krisken

Krisken

Jesus fucking christ.

Tress

Tress

I'm gone a few days and apparently I missed all the fun. Damn.

Terrik

Terrik

I'm going to walk in here and pretend to know what's going.

I am so cool.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I missed it too. I hate missing this stuff.

makare

Since it happened mostly in PM no one really knows anything more than the usual.

Covar

Covar

somethinmg something bannede. I really can't type right now. I was going to read through my 9 alerts but it will have to wait for tomorrow. Austin is awesome. That is all.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I say we all parse everything out in little tidbits some more and make Dave and company's hobby, sorry, second full-time job, that much more annoying.

No raises this year, assholes.

fade

fade

I like that everyone is dancing around the fact that the real reason they want a "banned" title under the person's name is so they can rubberneck at the car wreck mentioned in the first post. (Me too)

Tress

Tress

Where's my "It's funny because it's so true" button?

SeraRelm

Not everyone.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's a fun fact - Gas Bandit has never been banned. So, if you get banned, it means you're even more egregious an asshole than Gas Bandit.

I am comfortable being the threshold of egregiousness.

SeraRelm

Or just on par, but less of a rules lawyer.:awesome:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've been banned from way better places than this.

Adam

Adam

For a forum that lacks a common bond, the conversations here have been pretty civil compared to some of the other forums I've been on. Considering that many of you have travelled together for well on 5 or 6 years now, it's almost inevitable for there to be some fractious moments between prolific (or distinct) individuals. I have my own issues with some of the moderation and I'm not entirely sold on the concept of "praise in public, punish in private" because that presupposes people are praised for handling conflict well. Quite the opposite, the drama threads tend to be the most highly trafficked and commented threads. Personal interactions build up pressure no different than a steam engine; you are awarded forward motion if people are given the opportunity to bounce off of each other, even if it's in a 'negative' fashion. If a valve is never opened allowing for those (Negative, unproductive, false) interactions, inevitably the pressure builds up and it's an explosion instead of a vent.

MindDetective

MindDetective

This is what happens when an engineer-minded person steps into my discipline! :confused:

MindDetective

MindDetective

Then you should know better!

Adam

Adam

Are you trying to tell me that people aren't automatons that react to the exact same stimuli in the exact same way every time? Because that just does not compute.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Then you should know better!

strawman

strawman

I've only been banned once.

It was worth it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've only been banned once
You asshole.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It was worth it.
The taste of Cherry Chapstick?

Gusto

Gusto

I was reported for trolling on the Megatokyo boards.

Krisken

Krisken

I'd be surprised of most of the people in the thread weren't reported at one time or another for trolling.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd be surprised of most of the people in the thread weren't reported at one time or another for trolling.
Reported!!!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

What'd you do? Think a storyline wasn't that great?

Krisken

Krisken

Reported!!!
Wait, you reported me? But I've never reported you for trolling! I feel like I've failed as a forumite. :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wait, you reported me? But I've never reported you for trolling! I feel like I've failed as a forumite. :(

Gusto

Gusto

What'd you do? Think a storyline wasn't that great?
Had the AUDACITY to suggest that the page in which "Yuki and Ping decide maybe they should switch skirts with each other in a crowded street" wouldn't pan out and would ultimately amount to nothing.

How DARE I suggest Fred wrie a loose end into his fucking masterpiece magnum opus!?

Course I was right.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Will you believe that I've never been banned/locked out/reported/fined for trolling or being an asshole, on any other forum than HF? Even more surprising (to some here, I'm sure), I've never been any-of-that for being creepy or annoying, either.
I *have* been banned before on account of being a wise-ass, but, yeah, that's just plain true :p

blotsfan

blotsfan

I've been banned twice on another forum, once pretty reasonably, the other time not so much.

I've once gotten a warning here that I didn't understand. I just mentioned that I had steak for dinner...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Never been banned from an online forum, except by forum owner/moderator incompetence.

Now, on this one IRC server...

makare

Never been given any kind of infraction or banning on a forum but I did get kicked from an IRC because I didn't think Gor was a religion.

Krisken

Krisken

Will you believe that I've never been banned/locked out/reported/fined for trolling or being an asshole, on any other forum than HF? Even more surprising (to some here, I'm sure), I've never been any-of-that for being creepy or annoying, either.
I *have* been banned before on account of being a wise-ass, but, yeah, that's just plain true :p
Bubble, you are one of the most inoffensive people here. I'm befuddled at what could have occurred to cause you to even get a warning.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I just mentioned that I had steak for dinner...
Really now? And how was it? Nice and juicey, or a dry piece of leather? :whistling:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Had the AUDACITY to suggest that the page in which "Yuki and Ping decide maybe they should switch skirts with each other in a crowded street" wouldn't pan out and would ultimately amount to nothing.

How DARE I suggest Fred wrie a loose end into his fucking masterpiece magnum opus!?

Course I was right.
That's silly. Megatokyo forums are silly.

Gusto

Gusto

Hell yes.

Frank

Frank

1 infraction, which was redacted.

This is like, one of the first forums I've ever frequented where I wasn't a mod after a short period of time. Probably why I like it here.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Really now? And how was it? Nice and juicey, or a dry piece of leather? :whistling:
I left half of it raw and the other half burnt to a crisp. I was still hungry afterwards though so I got a Hot 'n Ready pizza.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I don't remember how many times I've been banned. Warnings for trolling? I can only assume a fuck-ton. Does it really matter, though?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I did an offense that should have gotten me banned once. But I secretly think the Moderators agreed with me.

fade

fade

The only ban I've ever had is the roll-on kind.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I got banned from a Navy spouse support forum because I stuck up for a friend who had also been banned.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I left half of it raw and the other half burnt to a crisp. I was still hungry afterwards though so I got a Hot 'n Ready pizza.
Why waste your money? The Aldi has pizza's for €1 you can just warm up in the microwave. More than good enough to fill your stomach.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I used to band myself sometimes. Sometimes, I'd use rubber bands on my pant legs while biking. So, I totally banded myself.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Why waste your money? The Aldi has pizza's for €1 you can just warm up in the microwave. More than good enough to fill your stomach.
Please, you think I'm the type of inferior person who would eat that garbage?

Frank

Frank

The right and offensive term is trash.

What kind of shitty, stupid, poor, moron would eat that trash?

Espy

Espy

I once got kicked out of a forum because it got shut down randomly by some dude, uh, Steve Kuntz? It was no biggie. Found a better one.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Please, you think I'm the type of inferior person who would eat that garbage?
Why, yes. I did imagine you the type of person to eat trash. The unworrthy, stupid and poor; simply a lesser person than one such as I. One determined by their vices, rather than their virtues.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I thought Aldi's pizzas were US$1.99 and had to be baked from frozen, not microwaved?

Bubble181

Bubble181

I definitely don't pay with $$ in my Aldi, but that might just be because we're a continent apart :-P Aldi's in germany stock different products than those in Belgium, too, so I wouldn't be surprised. Either way, I know they've got €1 pizza's to microwave oer here. They're unbelievably crappy, taste nothing like an actual pizza, and have nothing in common with what one might call food. They're probably more similar to what one would describe as "vomit".

That's not me being a foodie - I've tried them a few times but the (frozen) pizza's from our other discounter, at €2.99 each, are really much better and, you know, actually edible.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'll bet those starving children in Africa are incredibly lean and might make a decent, low-fat meal

Shakey

Shakey

I'll bet those starving children in Africa are incredibly lean and might make a decent, low-fat meal
Maybe, but I bet they taste a bit too gamey. Mix them with a bit of chubby American welfare children and you'd have a tasty burger.

TommiR

TommiR

Some niche market for the product might be found perhaps, but they're not too well suited for industrial mass production. I understand humans have a low meat yield for the weight, and it really is rather impractical to spend centuries breeding in desirable qualities like was done with normal livestock. Pork might be a good substitute, as I've heard it has similar characteristics as human flesh.

Of course, if there is demand then supply will materialise. It might be quite expensive, though, so stupid poor morons won't probably be able to afford human flesh all that often.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Some niche market for the product might be found perhaps, but they're not too well suited for industrial mass production. I understand humans have a low meat yield for the weight, and it really is rather impractical to spend centuries breeding in desirable qualities like was done with normal livestock. Pork might be a good substitute, as I've heard it has similar characteristics as human flesh.

Of course, if there is demand then supply will materialise. It might be quite expensive, though, so stupid poor morons won't probably be able to afford human flesh all that often.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He's just making a modest proposal.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hi. Late to the party as usual, didn't bring anything to eat.

Hey, Dave. I'll say my piece so people can get back to their derailing du jour.

I think it would not be out of place to have a "stats" page on the forums (ie, something that isn't displayed on any particular page automatically, it would be a page you'd have to consciously click to read) that, among any other interesting tidbits of info (total times word "steak" or phrase "minotaur penis" appears, for instance), might also have a rolling 30-day total of the number of bans/suspensions/disciplines which have been handed out, but only as a number. No names, no "most recent: <name>" or anything like that. Just a rolling total. That way, the people who are concerned can click to check to see that the Mods are currently earning their keep, but the rest of us can continue on blissfully unawares if we so choose. The "total bans" portion could even be spoilered if the stats page ends up being chock full of genuinely whimsical content ("Prom night").

Just a suggestion. We now return you to the usual tomfoolery you paid for when you joined this forum.

--Patrick

TommiR

TommiR

Hey, Dave. I'll say my piece so people can get back to their derailing du jour.
Thank you. I'm sure I speak the opinion of many when I state my appreciation for your reasoned post and suggestions, and how delightful I find it when posters treat a serious topic regarding the future of these boards with the respect and consideration it deserves. However, I would also ask for your understanding in the sense that there are current traditions to be upheld here, and your forgiveness if I re-commence with the herp-derp.
It just seems to me that a modest scale would push up the price even further, making it a delicacy of the rich. And a high price might result in black market transactions dealing in sub-par goods, given that the raw materials are basically available everywhere. I view it as preferable if the product can reasonably be made available to members of varying income brackets.

makare

We should eat all the new people.

Adam

Adam

What do you think all of our steak debates are actually referring to?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

:unibrow:

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Soylent green is people!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Hi. Late to the party as usual, didn't bring anything to eat.
You brought yourself. That's good enough for food.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Halforums: Where a thread on forums rules can descend into an in-depth discussion on cannibalism.

fade

fade

Google Church of Euthanasia for instructions on how properly to prepare the meat.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Bhamv, it's not a big deal. Everything descends into cannibalism eventually.

It's why one of my dates didn't end up working out. Food was lovely though.

TommiR

TommiR

Bhamv, it's not a big deal. Everything descends into cannibalism eventually.

It's why one of my dates didn't end up working out. Food was lovely though.
Oh, so a better method was discovered for her to lose a few pounds?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You know who were the first people to get Mad Cow Disease?

It wasn't the Brits. It was a tribe that practiced ritual cannibalism in Papua New Guinea, if memory serves. Something about how the disease is most effectively spread by eating meat of the same species that has been tainted with it.

Hence why all those people in Great Britain got sick; the cows had been fed with food that contained cow bits.

So no thanks, folks, I'll stick to my main sources of meat: pork, chicken, beef, the occasional bit of lamb and horse, and whatever the hell they put in kebabs.

However, that's not to say I'm completely opposed to certain kind of, ahem, eating :unibrow:

PatrThom

PatrThom

You know who were the first people to get Mad Cow Disease?

It wasn't the Brits. It was a tribe that practiced ritual cannibalism in Papua New Guinea, if memory serves. Something about how the disease is most effectively spread by eating meat of the same species that has been tainted with it.
If you're remembering the same case that I am, the ritual was to specifically eat the brains of the departed, resulting in what I believe Guiness classified as the Rarest Disease In The World*.

--Patrick
*Pretty sure about this but having a hard time researching due to being on iPod.

EDIT: Yep. It's called "Kuru" if you want to go Googling.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Eh, still a good enough reason for me not to go and chew on my neighbour. Not to mention the fact that they're old and probably kinda chewy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was gonna say, too, it was the brain-eating that did it. That's where industrialized BSE (Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, the fancy name for mad cow disease) comes from ultracheap cow feed where, after everything humans could possibly want to eat was stripped off the cow carcass, everything that was left over was ground up in to mush (including the brain) and fed to the other cows.

TommiR

TommiR

I seem to recall my upper-secondary school history teacher telling us how the brain was one of the favoured parts during the Siege of Leningrad amongst the more *ahem* pragmatic of the starving citizenry. It had something to do with the brain being one of the organs where the body tried to keep blood circulating to till the end.

It was a long time ago and I can't find any quick references to support it, but if true, then perhaps zombies are smarter than we give them credit for.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Maybe zombies are just a symptom of a certain type of prion disease...

:eek:

Bubble181

Bubble181

I seem to recall my upper-secondary school history teacher telling us how the brain was one of the favoured parts during the Siege of Leningrad amongst the more *ahem* pragmatic of the starving citizenry. It had something to do with the brain being one of the organs where the body tried to keep blood circulating to till the end.

It was a long time ago and I can't find any quick references to support it, but if true, then perhaps zombies are smarter than we give them credit for.
It's one of the most intersting parts of the body to eat, nutrient-wise. It's also far less tough and stringy than most parts. Most muscles in a human are far too tough to be nice to eat, and the brain is less "strong" of flavour than most other organs. Compare to chicken kidneys, liver and brain: the brain has by far the least "organ-y" taste.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

sounds like Zombieland....

GasBandit

GasBandit

Zombies have advanced Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease?

TommiR

TommiR

Speech impairment, jerky movements, balance and coordination dysfunction, changes in gait, rigid posture...

Might make sense.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Don't forget massive personality changes...

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's one of the most intersting parts of the body to eat, nutrient-wise. It's also far less tough and stringy than most parts. Most muscles in a human are far too tough to be nice to eat, and the brain is less "strong" of flavour than most other organs. Compare to chicken kidneys, liver and brain: the brain has by far the least "organ-y" taste.
Don't forget that the brain carries all that cholesterol and fat. Eat brains, but eat brains in moderation.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

hannibalfiner2.jpg

makare

oh god that scene