[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Pfft. I love how he posted a notification on his little blog space yesterday about the store liquidation, with notes that if you want to get things by Christmas, you need to make sure you go back in time and order something two days before he announced the liquidation.

And that, apparently, posting said blog post drained him of any and all energy required to actually update the comic at a decent time, yet again.

Pfft. It's not even 5pm in Seattle yet. Plenty of time left to update. It's not like this is his day job or anything...

Zappit

Staff member
You know, Jeph Jacques has been updating QC daily after stabbing his hand, severing tendons, which requires surgery. He makes longer comics with bigger panels, yet despite his injury, hasn't missed a day since coming back.

What's Scott's excuse?

You know, Jeph Jacques has been updating QC daily after stabbing his hand, severing tendons, which requires surgery. He makes longer comics with bigger panels, yet despite his injury, hasn't missed a day since coming back.

What's Scott's excuse?
He doesn't need an excuse. If a comic ever appears to be late, he can just say "fuck you guys, it's on time" and then move on.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I'd go as far as saying he had great talent... you know, back when he used to be consistently funny and not re-writing sitcom jokes.

I'd go as far as saying he had great talent... you know, back when he used to be consistently funny and not re-writing sitcom jokes.
He still has the talent, he just doesn't use it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's burnt out, or if maybe his poor time management just forces him to slap strips together last minute. He's a genuinely funny guy, and hilarious when he's going off the cuff in live podcasts, it's his poor work ethic that holds him back.

He's done really well in his career in spite of it, but he could do a lot more

North_Ranger

Staff member
The problem is that he keeps getting side-tracked with these new projects... which he then abandons when he gets bored with them. Ding, Trenches, the original forums... I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped out of the podcast at some point because of some lame-ass excuse.

He also has a complete inability to handle any kind of criticism, even from friends. Apparently on twitter he and Straub were arguing about rape jokes. Basically, Straub said, "Maybe we shouldn't joke about rape" and Kurtz said, "Well, why don't you write me a list of stuff I can make jokes about?"

Edit: He has apparently deleted those tweets. Instead, there are over a dozen posts about his dad's puppy.

Also regarding the late comics:

"Scott Kurtz@pvponline
Aslo, you guys are really the best, most supportive readers. Understanding things getting posted late as I get Table Titans up and running"

Basically, he's so focused on his latest soon-to-be-short-lived spinoff that he's ignoring his main brand. Awesome.

Ugh. Top it off with the fact that today's comic (finally posted within the last 20 minutes or so) is horribly unfunny.

Am I the only one who just doesn't give a flying fuck about Kurtz? We're 100+ pages in and done this song and dance over and over. Hell, the record player shook and the whole record has restarted again.

Sorry, I don't know where this is coming from. I'm probably just tired and cranky. But I stopped caring about Kurtz ages ago. There are tons of far better webcomics out there.

GasBandit

Staff member
Panel 2 just doesn't flow into panel 3, brent goes right from outraged denial to making excuses without pause... it doesn't fit his character and it's really grinding the gears of dialog.

Am I the only one who just doesn't give a flying fuck about Kurtz? We're 100+ pages in and done this song and dance over and over. Hell, the record player shook and the whole record has restarted again.

Sorry, I don't know where this is coming from. I'm probably just tired and cranky. But I stopped caring about Kurtz ages ago. There are tons of far better webcomics out there.
Definitely true, there are better comics out there, and I don't care much about him. But it's still fun to rag on him!

By now, we all know what happened to whom, how often, when and why, but we still make jokes about your Prom Night - it's still funny, right. Right?

I'm fairly sure that if Kurtz actually started making comics based on random shit we talk on this forum, they would at least be funny (to us).

North_Ranger

Staff member
The fact that he still yearns for feedback, even though he is the high and mighty Tastemaker who sits upon his throne accepting Facebook blowjobs :p