Pronounce Your Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
ElJuski said:
fade said:
Whoa! That blows my mind. Which I would post an animated GIF of, except it gets ElJuski's panties in a bunch.
:facepalm: I wasn't responding to that stupid .gif in that thread. If you think a fake looking guy's head exploding gets my panties in a bunch, you have NO idea who I am. Who took the gem from your donut lately, guy?
It's cool man I know you don't mi

fade

Staff member
ElJuski said:
fade said:
Whoa! That blows my mind. Which I would post an animated GIF of, except it gets ElJuski's panties in a bunch.
:facepalm: I wasn't responding to that stupid .gif in that thread. If you think a fake looking guy's head exploding gets my panties in a bunch, you have NO idea who I am. Who took the gem from your donut lately, guy?
I don't even know what that means. I wasn't really serious about you getting your panties in a bunch since I'm about 47% certain you don't wear them. Maybe 45. Also for the record, I actually don't have any idea who you are, seeing as how we're all semi-anonymous.

I know who she is.

Wait.., what? "HE"? What do you mean "he"? Juski's a GUY!?

Damn! My bad! Dude looks like a lady!!!

(ah-ah ah-ah)

K

Kitty Sinatra

Wahad said:
I have no idea what Habs is, but go ahead.
"The Habs" is short for Les Habitants. "Les Habitants" refers to the French settlers in Quebec, and is also the nickname (or simply the French name) of the hockey team more well known as the Montreal Canadiens.

In the early 90s, when the Habs won the Stanley Cup, they were backstopped by the goal keeping of a Quebecois named Patrick Roy, one of the best goalies in the game and certainly the best of his time. (Cue Chaz to argue for someone else!). Anyway, as I alluded to, his surname is pronounced as the French word for king, not the common English first name.

And now I've explained something from way back on page 1. I feel silly.

Gruebeard said:
Wahad said:
I have no idea what Habs is, but go ahead.
"The Habs" is short for Les Habitants. "Les Habitants" refers to the French settlers in Quebec, and is also the nickname (or simply the French name) of the hockey team more well known as the Montreal Canadiens.

In the early 90s, when the Habs won the Stanley Cup, they were backstopped by the goal keeping of a Quebecois named Patrick Roy, one of the best goalies in the game and certainly the best of his time. (Cue Chaz to argue for someone else!). Anyway, as I alluded to, his surname is pronounced as the French word for king, not the common English first name.

And now I've explained something from way back on page 1. I feel silly.
Don't feel too bad about bringing that up again, I was about to, as I've been a huge Avs fan since they moved to Denver, and had to give a shout out to Roy. Definatly the best of his time, although I don't know enough about hockey history to rank him all time.

Anyway, to get somewhat back on topic, if anyone cares about my name - it's the German word for "thief". In German, when you see an "i" and an "e" next to each other, you pronounce the second. So Dieb is pronounced "deeb" such that it rhymes with "dweeb".

Calleja said:
If we only pronounced the "e", though, it'd be "deb"... so it's more of a "ie" sounds like "ee" kinda thing, no?
Exactly. Same with the reverse, if you saw something that was ei, like stein (the vessel from which you drink beer) you get the "eye" sound of i like bite, as opposed to the "ih" sound from hit.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Gared said:
Calleja said:
If we only pronounced the "e", though, it'd be "deb"... so it's more of a "ie" sounds like "ee" kinda thing, no?
Exactly. Same with the reverse, if you saw something that was ei, like stein (the vessel from which you drink beer) you get the "eye" sound of i like bite, as opposed to the "ih" sound from hit.
So to be more succinct: You get the long vowel sound of the second vowel.

Americans are weird and mispronounce stuff.

ei = "ay" from "ay caramba" but with a different twang, ie = "ee" but slightly shorter in German.

figmentPez

Staff member
I should think mine is easy to pronounce:
figment (as in "of the imagination")
Pez (like the candy)

What people seem to get wrong is the capitalization and short form. The "f" is lower-case, and it's Pez for short. figmentPez not Fig, not Figgy, not Pigment Fez. I am not a fruit. I am not a type of pudding. I am not a colorful hat.

bhamv2 said:
I'd tell you, but I have no idea how to pronounce it myself.
I see do it in my head as Bamv two. Like bamf but with a v.

Ed I do as Ed + Ron + Doll

Mine is pretty simple. Hoe + Bow + Nin (Like the band Nine Inch Nails) + Ja

Chazwozel said:
You can call me fat and uneducated till the cows come home but it doesn't make it fact, no matter how hard you wish.
You just finished your graduate program in like Biochemistry or something like that didn't you... isn't that kind of like the opposite of uneducated?

X

XSammiKaneX

HoboNinja said:
bhamv2 said:

Chazwozel said:
You can call me fat and uneducated till the cows come home but it doesn't make it fact, no matter how hard you wish.
You just finished your graduate program in like Biochemistry or something like that didn't you... isn't that kind of like the opposite of uneducated?
BAMF!! ={) (I really hope I'm not the only one that knows the quote...)

L

Laurelai

JCM doesn't like southern accents??!?!
/weeps in her cream of wheat
Ok- if you have been exposed to just one segment of the south, then I can understand it- even southerners don't like what's called a "twangy" accent and you get that in some *cough texasgeorgiaalabama cough* areas, but other southern accents are like warm maple syrup making their slow way across your brain.

My cousins are blessed with such accents- they are both upper crust Virginians- me, I'm a Florida beach bum schlub and while to northerners I have a southern accent or sorts I am sure, I don't have anything really stands out.

oh- and my name- pretty straight forward. LAUR-ruh-lye.
until this thread though, I had been reading Shego's name incorrectly. I had been reading "Shegokio" missed a whole letter in there.

X

XSammiKaneX

I don't think I need to explain how to pronounce my name since it's fairly common and happened to be mentioned in the podcast...

C

Chazwozel

HoboNinja said:
bhamv2 said:

Chazwozel said:
ppffftt are you kidding going to Thailand to fuck transvestite hookers and romping around the jungle in a yoga leotard speaking three languages at once without showering for a month like JCM does is far more education than a silly little thing like a Ph.D. provides....

X

XSammiKaneX

GeneralOrder24 said:
Twitch said:
Nightcrawler? Pulp Fiction? 1960's Batman?
Bavarian Army Master Force!
It's an acronym for Bad Ass Mother F***er...

Edit: It's from a crappy Youtube video that probably none of you have seen except maybe the guy wearing Shutter shades in his avatar...

XSammiKaneX said:
GeneralOrder24 said:
Twitch said:
Nightcrawler? Pulp Fiction? 1960's Batman?
Bavarian Army Master Force!
It's an acronym for Bad Ass Mother F***er...

Edit: It's from a crappy Youtube video that probably none of you have seen except maybe the guy wearing Shutter shades in his avatar...
BAMF as Bad Ass Mother Fucker has been around for awhile... I dunno which YouTube video you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.