Pronounce Your Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddammit Julio!!

The Double LL is pronounced in my name like I pronounce, ok? It's a Spanish name from Spain and all THREE of my SPANISH grandparents and ALL my SPANISH family members pronounce it that way. mm'kay? I don't care about how Argen-fucking-tineans would pronounce the double LL, I hate that fucking accent.

Also, I'm a few months from being an also Spanish Spanish-speaker, as I'm getting my Spanish passport soon.

Also: :grrr:

Cajungal

Staff member
Seeing as every region has their own way of pronouncing certain things, it just doesn't seem at all productive (or polite) to argue about what the "correct" way is. Sure, when I was up north once, it was kind of weird to hear the guy at the burger place ask if I wanted a "pap" (a pop... sounded really Bostonian though), but that's just one of the quirks of the region.

Cajungal said:
Seeing as every region has their own way of pronouncing certain things, it just doesn't seem at all productive (or polite) to argue about what the "correct" way is. Sure, when I was up north once, it was kind of weird to hear the guy at the burger place ask if I wanted a "pap" (a pop... sounded really Bostonian though), but that's just one of the quirks of the region.
Whatever, you're from the deep south. None of you know how to talk anyway. :unibrow:

C

Chazwozel

Calleja said:
Goddammit Julio!!

The Double LL is pronounced in my name like I pronounce, ok? It's a Spanish name from Spain and all THREE of my SPANISH grandparents and ALL my SPANISH family members pronounce it that way. mm'kay? I don't care about how Argen-smurfing-tineans would pronounce the double LL, I hate that smurfing accent.

Also, I'm a few months from being an also Spanish Spanish-speaker, as I'm getting my Spanish passport soon.

Also: :grrr:

Dude, cut him some slack. He lives in a hut, afterall.

Cajungal

Staff member
Fun Size said:
Cajungal said:
Whatever, you're from the deep south. None of you know how to talk anyway. :unibrow:
MAIS das not nice, no.

On the topic of names, the last customer I just had was named:

Eliana M. Moron

I wanted so desperately to ask her to pronounce it. :rofl:

W

wana10

Shegokigo said:

Eliana M. Moron

i had a guy last week named Aßmann...i wish i had heard him pronounce it too

on topic wa-na-ten

Jim Carrey correctly pronounces my name.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kz7YUdy-Cg:22njgllm][/youtube:22njgllm]

I prefer "kay-lew" (first initial, last name), though during xbox live beta testing, it took too long to explain to everyone I met, so I just let them pronounce it "clue" (and now I never use the microphone)

fade

Staff member
Shegokigo said:

Eliana M. Moron

I know I've told this story before, but once I had this guy in class with the first name "Phuc". I kid you not. He was American born and raised, but his parents were Vietnamese, which made it even worse, because he was fully aware of the implications of his name. He'd also developed an uncanny knack for knowing where his name fell in alphabetical order, so as to be able to shout out "It's pronounced 'fook'" at precisely the right moment.

J

JCM

Shegokigo said:

Eliana M. Moron
Deja vu.

My ex had just called whing about a fiftieth chance, and her name was Eliana.

Chazwozel said:
Say it with me everyone: "Chaz-es is a bitch"
Well, on that side you´d still be besmiching the name bitch, using it with a fat uneducated jock.

By the way, did you finally beat the kid at Guitar Hero, learn a second language or at least learn about that mystical thing called the outside world?
Calleja said:
The Double LL is pronounced in my name like I pronounce, ok? It's a Spanish name from Spain and all THREE of my SPANISH grandparents and ALL my SPANISH family members pronounce it that way. mm'kay? I don't care about how Argen-smurfing-tineans would pronounce the double LL, I hate that smurfing accent.

I know... but its just that my past 5 Spanish teachers pronounce it otherwise, and so does Luiza, who is herself a Spanish teacher, so I got shocked when someone said it was the wrong way to say it.

I actually think of Julio as one of my HF friends.. we've only ever argued over the LL thing and it never really passed the flame line.

I also like GasBandit much more than a lot of you geezers.

-- less than a minute ago --

By which I mean I like him more than I like a lot of you, not that I like him more than you do.

Which is probably still true, though.

C

Chazwozel

JCM said:
Shegokigo said:

Eliana M. Moron
Deja vu.

My ex had just called whing about a fiftieth chance, and her name was Eliana.

Chazwozel said:
Say it with me everyone: "Chaz-es is a *"
Well, on that side you´d still be besmiching the name *, using it with a fat uneducated jock.
Balding, dirty, pedophile!

See those there JCM, those are facts about you. Facts.

You can call me fat and uneducated till the cows come home but it doesn't make it fact, no matter how hard you wish.

In retort all I have to say is:

NO YOU!!

fade

Staff member
Whoa! That blows my mind. Which I would post an animated GIF of, except it gets ElJuski's panties in a bunch.

Hugh as in Hugh Grant or Hugh as in Hugh Laurie?

Cause I've found they pronounce it ever so subtly differently.

what?

There's more than one way to pronounce Hugh?

I mean, I guess you could pronounce it like huge but the written name version of that would be more like Hughes, wouldn't it?

ElJuski

Staff member
fade said:
Whoa! That blows my mind. Which I would post an animated GIF of, except it gets ElJuski's panties in a bunch.
:facepalm: I wasn't responding to that stupid .gif in that thread. If you think a fake looking guy's head exploding gets my panties in a bunch, you have NO idea who I am. Who took the gem from your donut lately, guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.