Potential moral dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things I know based on formerly being the shipping manager to my company.

Putting the weight of the package into UPS will not always mean that weight becomes listed. The weight input by NewEgg would just be for a calculation of shipping cost. The actual package is weighed and also scanned using a laser system to figure out dimensional weight, and whatever is highest becomes listed once it hits the first truck/plane unless the weight was already comparable. I don't think it was a "typing error".

More then likely they just accidentally shipped you some extra product. If that is the case I can tell you that by now NewEgg has probably just written off the item. At my own company if an extra item is accidentally shipped we just forget it and write it off UNLESS they call and are willing to pay to send it back. People doing that are often rare.

Once I got a random package at my door. No return label, no information in the box, nothing. All it had was a UPS label with my full name, address, and phone number. Turned out it was a 160gb AgentGo external drive, that I never ordered. I was skeptical at first about it since it had zero information, but after doing some tests found it was clean, empty, and right now is sitting near me as an extra transfer drive. It's been over three years since then and no one has ever even called me about it.

In the end, just wait for it to show. If it has something illegal in it, report it immediately and explain the discrepancies. If it, say, has a nice expensive item in there, I personally say just keep it. NewEgg is not going to care.

What's the problem here? Either you receive exactly what you ordered, and it's a problem with a decimal point, or you receive something different, whereupon you contact the distributor and explain the situation. Moral dilemma? I think not...

Newegg's reply:
newegg said:
the package information posted on our website is for reference only. It is calculated by system and may be a little different from the actual weight.
Well that was helpful.

So if it's not 30lbs, it's a typo. If it is, then by the sound of their shrug of a response, whatever's in there is mine. ALL MINE! :p

And with another batch of "feds kick in the wrong door, take days to clear innocent party" hitting the news this week, I don't apologize for the paranoia one bit. A lot of it was to show up the idiot at UPS who didn't seem to care one bit that the recipient was trying to report something wrong. To him, the recipient has absolutely no right to anything, and the shipper is everything. I mean, where does he come up with "we can't open it," when all I asked was for someone on the next stop to look at the freaking box?

Dave

Staff member
I just love the "Are you a shutin?" followed next by DA posting "Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk"

In between the stacks of newspapers and pizza boxes sits DA's binoculars and notebook of goings ons in the burbs.

And it weighs 30 pounds? Wow. No wonder the ladies chase you.

Sent from a Star Trek communicator located in my colon.

The start of his night shift can't come soon enough.

Sent from two tin cans and a piece of twine, powered by Campbell's.

Hopefully the package will make it to him in one piece.

Sent with MacGyver's help using a pancake, rubber band and a vibraphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.