Export thread

Potential moral dilemma...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I ordered the latest round of parts for my PC build Friday morning from newegg. The shipment is split into three parts. The only things coming from their New Jersey warehouse is a 2GB thumb drive (included free with the 8GB RAM I ordered, which is coming from TN), and tube of Arctic Silver 5.

Thing is, when I check tracking on the package, it's listed as 29.90 lbs! I checked UPS's tracking page to be sure and it says the same thing. 29.90 lbs.

I'm tempted to call UPS now and ask them about the obvious disparity in what was ordered, and the weight of it's parcel. But I also want to wait and see just what arrives at my door.

If the delivery guy follows normal routine, he'll just leave the package at my door and go, never even bothering to ring the bell.

There's two different outcomes. One, there was just a wild misprint in the weight of the package, and I get precisely what I'm supposed to, or B, Something completely different from what I ordered and paid for arrives. Something far more expensive than what I paid for.

The government used to run PSA's telling consumers if they received merchandise they never ordered, it was theirs for free. I don't think that would apply here. It was meant for scam protection to keep unscrupulous merchants from sending out stuff, followed later by a hefty bill for that item.

So. Should I call 'em now to point out the difference, or wait and see what arrives? What to do if what arrives isn't what I ordered, but would still want? How many of you would keep their mouth shut and keep what arrived?

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, I don't think you want those drugs.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Unless there's some sign that you're getting 30 pounds of Arctic Silver 5, I would call UPS about that.

And though I dunno if Krisken was being serious or not, it's not unheard of for drug rings to use UPS/Fedex/etc to deliver drugs to uninvolved people (so it's listed to them in the system) and then pick it up en route.

Krisken

Krisken

I wasn't being too serious, but I knew that was a tactic that drug rings have used.

Espy

Espy

Geeze you guys, way to ruin my plans. :(

Krisken

Krisken

Espy, you smoking the right stuff? Black Umbrella?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wait and see what you get, and if it's different than what you ordered, contact the seller.

strawman

strawman

UPS won't know or care. I'd check to see if I was charged for the full shipping weight, and if not don't worry about it. It's very likely someone fat fingered some order entry somewhere. Maybe it's only 2.9 pounds.

At any rate, don't worry about it. Wait till you get it, and if it's not what you ordered, or if they charged too much for shipping, then complain after the fact.

When it's en route, there's really nothing that newegg or UPS can or will do about it.

Espy

Espy

It's probably got a midget drug dealer in there.

MindDetective

MindDetective

A relative, Espy?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I just got off the phone with UPS. They flatly refused to do anything. Even something as easy as calling ahead to the next stop in the chain to confirm the weight of the parcel against what was listed. Even when I told him something was suspicious and FBI, Customs, or Homeland Security could be involved if he continued to refuse to help, he refused to help.

If that's the way they want to be, let's take it to the next level. I'm calling Customs.

(ETA: And I did. Agent said call newegg on Monday. I will. But let the record show I made a legitimate order, and did all I could to cover my butt in case someone's trying to make a chump out of me.)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I don't know if I would take it that far yet, since it could all be some error. Did you manage to speak with a supervisor? Did you confirm the weight with the sender?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You don't think you may be overreacting?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

No one's at newegg until Monday afternoon east coast time. I used their email contact to explain the situation.

The supervisor was the one who refused any help. Even after telling him I might call the FBI or Customs because it looked so suspicious, he refused. Just calling ahead and asking someone there to eyeball the package to see if it could or couldn't weigh 30 lbs, and he refused.

But now there is a phone record that I made the call to cover my ass with the relevant authorities.

Wasabi Poptart

Yeah I have to agree. It sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It could be a typo and not such a big deal.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

If it was coming fromm overseas, I would be concerned, but it's from Newegg, so I really doubt there's an actual problem. Jersey might sometimes seem like another country, but it's really not. :p

You sent an email, you called UPS, I think you're covered.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Did you read Krisken's link? The officials involved said they'd do exactly what they did all over again. I'm not a mayor, so things could potentially be much worse. I don't need that.

I don't know why the package is listed at 30lbs. There's no one available for days to say why. Until then, I want my ass covered in case some 3rd party is trying to make a patsy out of me as some poor chump whose name got pulled out of a hat.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

:Leyla:Dude, I (and I'm fairly sure Krisken as well) did not mean to scare the shit out of you.

For one thing, you're actually expecting this package. You made some calls and sent some email, you should be fine.

Dave

Dave

This happened to someone I know. They happened to be home at the time and accepted the package. They opened it but didn't know what it was. They planned on calling the vendor after the weekend was over. That night their house was broken into. The package was stolen as were some other valuables.

He may seem paranoid, but I think DA may have done the right thing.

Espy

Espy

I'm telling you guys, that midget is gonna be PISSED when they open that package.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Have you determined if it is the actual weight, dimensional weight or billable weight? Because if it's anything but the actual weight, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Most likely it's 2GB in free 3.5" floppies instead of the thumb drive.

Dave

Dave

yeah, but as other posters have pointed out, it's not like DA wasn't expecting an order from newegg.

And once the package was in transit, it's not like UPS updates their weights...which means it was entered as 29.9 at the newegg warehouse, or at the UPS dropoff location, depending on the shipping arrangements ups has with newegg.

In the previous examples of foul play, a completely unexplained package arrived..i don't think either case applies here. Sure, I might make a phone call about it, but I don't think I'd really worry that much about it. I think the odds of a criminal swapping out a tiny hard drive box with a huge box of drugs (after breaking into a UPS warehouse) and then hacking into UPS's shipping network to change the weights to match is quite remote.
True.

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, I was mostly just making a joke, not trying to freak ya out DA.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe they accidentally sent you 20 GB worth of thumb drives, and 80 GB of RAM.

Wasabi Poptart

It's a box of human heads.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm not saying UPS couldn't have been more helpful, but if someone threatens to call the FBI on me, I tell them to go ahead and hang up.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Most likely it's 2GB in free 3.5" floppies instead of the thumb drive.
If you assume that they're Extended Density disks with 2.88 MB of capacity, and that 50 of them weight a little under 2 pounds, to fill out the 30 lbs, you would need just under 750 disks (to make room for the RAM), that comes out to...

...just over 2 GB. It works out perfectly! :thumbsup:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So that's where my package is headed.....

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So that's where my package is headed.....
I was wondering when you'd show up... :D

Mathias

Mathias

Dude, no offense, but I'm kinda creeped out at how batshit insane you sound over this. Just wait and see what the package looks and feels like when it arrives. How on Earth are you going to be in trouble if you received the wrong package?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dude, no offense, but I'm kinda creeped out at how batshit insane you sound over this. Just wait and see what the package looks and feels like when it arrives. How on Earth are you going to be in trouble if you received the wrong package?
That's exactly what I asked UPS to do. Just look at the package and see if it's really possible for it to weigh what it says. The dude on the other end was pulling excuses why not from so far up his ass he could scratch his neck from the inside.

It was after reading and re-reading Krisken's link that I started to worry a bit. Especially the unapologetic "we'd do it all over again" boast. Given the recent history of the agencies involved, paranoia and a little well-placed CYA couldn't hurt.

Anyway, If I had placed the order on a Monday or Tuesday we wouldn't be having this discussion. A couple of phone calls would have set everything straight. I just had the bad luck to order on a long weekend Friday, when no one is around to answer inquires until late Monday at best.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm telling you guys, that midget is gonna be PISSED when they open that package.

fade

fade

whats-in-the-box.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

A few things I know based on formerly being the shipping manager to my company.

Putting the weight of the package into UPS will not always mean that weight becomes listed. The weight input by NewEgg would just be for a calculation of shipping cost. The actual package is weighed and also scanned using a laser system to figure out dimensional weight, and whatever is highest becomes listed once it hits the first truck/plane unless the weight was already comparable. I don't think it was a "typing error".

More then likely they just accidentally shipped you some extra product. If that is the case I can tell you that by now NewEgg has probably just written off the item. At my own company if an extra item is accidentally shipped we just forget it and write it off UNLESS they call and are willing to pay to send it back. People doing that are often rare.

Once I got a random package at my door. No return label, no information in the box, nothing. All it had was a UPS label with my full name, address, and phone number. Turned out it was a 160gb AgentGo external drive, that I never ordered. I was skeptical at first about it since it had zero information, but after doing some tests found it was clean, empty, and right now is sitting near me as an extra transfer drive. It's been over three years since then and no one has ever even called me about it.

In the end, just wait for it to show. If it has something illegal in it, report it immediately and explain the discrepancies. If it, say, has a nice expensive item in there, I personally say just keep it. NewEgg is not going to care.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

ScytheRexx, we tried logic last page, we're into full on mocking now.

strawman

strawman

Man, those owl pics will never get old. That is one pissed off owl right there.

I will eat your young.

Jay

Jay

LittleSin

LittleSin

Matt? Matt is that you?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

What's the problem here? Either you receive exactly what you ordered, and it's a problem with a decimal point, or you receive something different, whereupon you contact the distributor and explain the situation. Moral dilemma? I think not...

Jay

Jay

I hope it's a crack package then his house gets broken to.

:popcorn:

Wasabi Poptart

Ooh! Ooh! I hope it's really something from Shego.

Espy

Espy

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Newegg's reply:
newegg said:
the package information posted on our website is for reference only. It is calculated by system and may be a little different from the actual weight.
Well that was helpful.

So if it's not 30lbs, it's a typo. If it is, then by the sound of their shrug of a response, whatever's in there is mine. ALL MINE! :p

And with another batch of "feds kick in the wrong door, take days to clear innocent party" hitting the news this week, I don't apologize for the paranoia one bit. A lot of it was to show up the idiot at UPS who didn't seem to care one bit that the recipient was trying to report something wrong. To him, the recipient has absolutely no right to anything, and the shipper is everything. I mean, where does he come up with "we can't open it," when all I asked was for someone on the next stop to look at the freaking box?

Mathias

Mathias

Are you a shut-in?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Are you a shut-in?
No, and what would that have to do with anything?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Krisken

Krisken

Because you are starting to sound like a paranoid neighbor watcher.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Because you are starting to sound like a paranoid neighbor watcher.
You started it. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Baerdog

Baerdog

No...he didn't.

Krisken

Krisken

That's like blaming the Onion because the New York Times didn't know it was a joke rag.

Dave

Dave

I just love the "Are you a shutin?" followed next by DA posting "Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk"

Krisken

Krisken

In between the stacks of newspapers and pizza boxes sits DA's binoculars and notebook of goings ons in the burbs.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hey, recluses can have cellphones too.

Sent from my DynaTAC 8000X at 1200 baud

Gusto

Gusto

Some of us recluses aren't so fortunate to be so well-equipped.

Sent from my TI BAII+ business calculator.

Fun Size

Fun Size

So, did the package come yet?

Sent from my iPhone in Gusto's closet. He's wearing the pink boxers again. Sheesh.

Dave

Dave

I, too, am interested in what is in the box.

Hylian

Hylian

I must know the boxes contents!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's my dick in a box!

My dick in a box, baby.

Sent from ravenpoe's abacus, powered by android.

Fun Size

Fun Size

And it weighs 30 pounds? Wow. No wonder the ladies chase you.

Sent from a Star Trek communicator located in my colon.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I want pictures.

Sent from my iPigeon.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm sure he'll tell us as soon as he knows... or gets over his drug habit.

Sent from my Toshiba.

Baerdog

Baerdog

The start of his night shift can't come soon enough.

Sent from two tin cans and a piece of twine, powered by Campbell's.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It's become high forum drama.

Sent via smoke signals from the burning remains of DA's dignity.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hopefully the package will make it to him in one piece.

Sent with MacGyver's help using a pancake, rubber band and a vibraphone.

Chibibar

Is it a cake?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Newegg.com accidentally sent him a Bag of Crap from Woot.

Sent from Cerebro via Telepatalk

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just want to say I love this new joke.

Sent from my 30 pound penis, dick-tated but not read.

Tress

Tress

Hey, what's wrong with shut-ins?

Sent from my parents' basement.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hey, what's wrong with shut-ins?

Sent from my parents' basement.
Nothing.

Sent from Tress's mom's bedroom.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I just want to say I love this new joke.

Sent from my 30 pound penis, dick-tated but not read.
That must be difficult when you need to keep it short.

Sent from a bad, bad place.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I am monitoring this thread with a hotline to the nearest Marshall's office to DA's location.

Sent via my Panasonic Toughbook, powered by covert typing and driving skillz

Krisken

Krisken

We can't be certain what is in the box.

Sent from a series of tubes.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Or can we?

Sent from the box.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Schrodinger says we can't know till we open it.

Sent from work via ninjas

Hylian

Hylian

Am I doing it right?

Sent from inside a box on its way to DarkAudit's home

Wasabi Poptart

This thread makes me want to wear my foil hat.

Sent from - I can't tell you or else the FBI and CIA will find me via chemtrails and secret black box transmissions

figmentPez

figmentPez

Fun Size and Hylian are both inside the box and it still weighs less than 30lbs?

Sent from a state of disbelief via skepticism

Wasabi Poptart

Is it a cake?
Lex Luthor sent him the package! It's 40 cakes!

Sent from Karkura Town via Mr. Hat and Clogs

Hylian

Hylian

I have spread my consciousness and body between all the multiverses in order to cut down on my weight for the task at hand.

Sent from everywhere

Fun Size

Fun Size

We're being held up by Poe's prodigious manhood.

Sent from Poe's dick-ta-phone.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Shut-in is relative. Like shut in my fucking car because the fucking PRT is down *again* and I'm stuck in fucking Morgantown gridlock again.

Nothing arrived today. Its due tomorrow.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

Fun Size and Hylian are both inside the box and it still weighs less than 30lbs?

Sent from a state of disbelief via skepticism
It's bigger, and lighter, on the inside.

Sent from a police call box in the future.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm sorry to hear it DarkAudit.

Sent from a Police Box traveling through time.

Edit: Holy crap, that was creepy.

strawman

strawman

Project status report:

Task #1, generating similar thoughts in two different test subjects simultaneously, phase #1 test completed successfully. Phase #2 testing to commence tomorrow.

Sent from my neural interface model #777-887 serial number 1867

Krisken

Krisken

I wonder who Stienman's control group is.

Sent from a clean white room with lots of shiny metal surfaces.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

He wouldn't tell anyone - it might contaminate the experiment.

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

Krisken

Krisken

I, I think I see you.

Sent from a band playing different tunes.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

I, I think I see way too much that Krisken's hospital gown should probably cover. Hope mine is fitting better. Like I have any pride left anyway. Though I am curious about Stienman's control group as well.

Sent from a clean white room with lots of shiny metal surfaces.

strawman

strawman

Project status report:

Task #5, generating similar visual and other pseudo-sensory frameworks in two different test subjects simultaneously, phase #2 test completed with partial success. Unable to remove pseudo-sensory frameworks, test subjects still feel as though they are in "test chamber". Testing put on hold to watch DVR'd dancing with the stars marathon with SO. Oh, and also to see if we can fix them more cheaply than simply procuring more test subjects.

Sent from my neural interface model #777-887 serial number 1867

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

22 lbs of black Tibetan finger hash and 3 keys of slam.

Now that's not bad luck, that's dumb luck!

Sent from Studio 8H

(j/k... nothing's here yet.)

LordRendar

LordRendar

Damn...I need to know what is in that Box! NOW!

Sent from an German U-Boot Enigma Machine via American Spies

Hylian

Hylian

When will the suspense end!

Sent from the deep recesses of my mind

Disconnected

wow really?
Tracking packages has turned everyone into impatient conspiracy theorists.

sent from my desk in the FBI office while watching you on hidden camera and having another agent make sure the package he switched with yours is still a bomb.

Krisken

Krisken

I feel concern for DarkAudit's aura.

Sent from my third eye.

Wasabi Poptart

It's some scotch, gin, and vermouth along with the number of a hooker, a wool fedora, and silk necktie.

sent from Don Draper's desk via Joan Harris' bra

Mathias

Mathias

Keep us posted.

Sent from.... you guys are idiots.

evilmike

evilmike

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I feel concern for DarkAudit's aura.
That's not aura, that's cholesterol.

Sent from Five Guys Burgers & Fries
(cajun fries are goooooood.)

Krisken

Krisken

Keep us posted.

I'm sure he will

Sent from Mathias' vacationing sense of humor.

Chazwozel

Keep us posted.

Agreed.

Sent from the dark side of your soul.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Not even a freaking box. :p

Hylian

Hylian

Wasabi Poptart

I was hoping there would be cake. :/

Krisken

Krisken

BOooooooooOOO!

Sent from screaming, disappointed Halforums mobs.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I was hoping there would be cake. :/
No cake, but there was little bacon cheeseburger all the way and cajun fries at lunchtime.

And crow for dinner...

Sent from a bottle of Pepto-Bismol

strawman

strawman

I PAID FOR IMAGES OF A MIDGET PUNCHING YOU. I DEMAND SATISFACTION!

Mathias

Mathias

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Not even a freaking box. :p

You're a dumbass. I mean that in a nice way, but sheesh. You got so worked up over nothing. No wonder you had a heart attack. You need to learn to chill out man.

Krisken

Krisken

Haha, I've been telling him that for ages!

Repeated over and over from a relay station somewhere in the arctic circle.

Hylian

Hylian

You're a dumbass. I mean that in a nice way, but sheesh. You got so worked up over nothing. No wonder you had a heart attack. You need to learn to chill out man.

oh come on, let us have our fun

sent from a state of boredom

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think this post was better in its abridged form.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Wasabi Poptart

I know what happened to the rest of the package.

http://video.adultswim.com/metalocalypse/rockzo-on-top-of-the-world.html

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

This was some fine forum mockery and a nice new meme, though.

Sent from the bottom of a bag of chips

Mathias

Mathias

oh come on, let us have our fun

sent from a state of boredom
I'm calling him a dumbass, the exact same way I'd call anyone of my friends a dumbass when they do something dumb. :whistling:

LittleSin

LittleSin

Little does he know, each of those bubbles in that bubble wrap contains one grain of cocaine.

Happy popping!

Sent from my PlayStation 3OHWAIT.

Jay

Jay

All this for.... a 2 GB USB stick? 2 GB? How much did that set you back? 3.99? Tell me, was the shipping more expensive than the memory stick?

The bandwidth used for this thread cost more than that 2 GB memory stick.

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

All this for.... a 2 GB USB stick? 2 GB? How much did that set you back? 3.99? Tell me, was the shipping more expensive than the memory stick?

The bandwidth used for this thread cost more than that 2 GB memory stick.

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I believe he explained the 2GB USB stick was sent free with the other things he ordered, including 8GB of RAM (shipped separately) and the Arctic Silver, which shipped with his USB stick.

Jay

Jay

The picture was a LIE then.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Okay that makes a lot of sense, I forgot that UPS does not really pay attention to the labeling on envelopes, so it obviously must have been a typo at Newegg. If it was a box they would have corrected it before it left the distribution center.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm calling him a dumbass, the exact same way I'd call anyone of my friends a dumbass when they do something dumb. :whistling:

Dave

Dave

What I love is that we got 4 pages of fun & comments out of someone getting exactly what they ordered!!

Sent from the inside of my cubicle, which is grey and loveless.

Fun Size

Fun Size

It's what we do.

Sent from inside Dave's mom, which interestingly enough is also grey and loveless.

Dave

Dave

It's what we do.

Sent from inside Dave's mom, which interestingly enough is also grey and loveless.
My mom & dad. Knock yourself out.

mom & dad.png

Sent from my happy place.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

That arctic silver must be dense if it weighs that much!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm disappointed I had to use Red's pic on *myself*. Wake up there, Mathias! :D

Sent from my new zombie desktop

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why must we take new memes to bad places?

˙pǝʇɹǝʌuı plɹoʍ ɐ ǝʇɐldɯǝʇuoɔ ı sɐ sɹɐq ʎǝʞuoɯ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

They're bad, but it feels so good.

Sent from the Moonlite Bunny Ranch

Jiarn

I am amused.

Sent from the Twilight Zone.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Keep us posted.

Agreed.

Sent from the dark side of your soul.
Wait, wait, wait... you mean to tell me Mathias isn't your new handle?

drifter

drifter

No, it's an ad lib twin.

@Li3n

@Li3n

No, it's an ad lib twin.
Or maybe Chaz was bitten by a radioactive bacteria...

Baerdog

Baerdog

It's one of JCM's alts.

Chibibar

Well, I'm glad it wasn't something dangerous and yet, I'm disappointed.

Sent from a place of loneliness and despair.

@Li3n

@Li3n

It's one of JCM's alts.
Aren't we all...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Aren't we all...
The day that Chaz realizes that makare's posts are coming FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE will be epic.

Krisken

Krisken

The day that Chaz realizes that makare's posts are coming FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE will be epic.
What's your favorite scary forum?