[PC Game] Pillars of Eternity

Dave

Staff member
Patch day today and they fixed a LOT of shit!

https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/

And they nerfed the arbalest.

As to mechanics, I made my rogue the only one with mechanics and also gave her a lot of stealth. The party sits by the entrance and she scouts ahead, removing traps and picking up treasure until she either hits all dead ends or discovers all the monster choke points, then she sneaks back to the group and they advance. It's SO MUCH like real D&D in that respect that I'm loving it!

Damn it, there's nothing about fixing Cipher AoE indicators. I was holding off playing mine until the patch in hopes it got fixed.

fade

Staff member
You guys were doing a good job of selling me this game. Then I saw it was about $50. What? No way. I think the last time I paid that much for a game, it was FFVII on my shiny new Playstation.

You guys were doing a good job of selling me this game. Then I saw it was about $50. What? No way. I think the last time I paid that much for a game, it was FFVII on my shiny new Playstation.
$30 kickstarter :p But yeah, I normally don't pay full price either.

You know what bums me out a bit. The portraits. They should have at least done one for each of the Godlike heads, which are different enough that the usually single head for each type doesn't fit the rest. Hell, the moon godlike male portrait doesn't look like any of the head options.

You know what bums me out a bit. The portraits. They should have at least done one for each of the Godlike heads, which are different enough that the usually single head for each type doesn't fit the rest. Hell, the moon godlike male portrait doesn't look like any of the head options.
But it's really ridiculously easy to throw in your own portraits, so, while i do agree they could've included at least one per type, it's not much of an issue. Any picture you can plunk in the directory in two sizes with the proper file name will work, including replacing the ones in already existing games. ;)

But it's really ridiculously easy to throw in your own portraits, so, while i do agree they could've included at least one per type, it's not much of an issue. Any picture you can plunk in the directory in two sizes with the proper file name will work, including replacing the ones in already existing games. ;)
That's well and good, but there aren't many easy to plunk into portraits out there that match the style of the game's own portraits or match the weird races in the game, like the godlikes.

As I said, I can't check properly what with being at work, but I know there's been an amazing amount of fan art already about all kinds of characters. I'm sure there're Godlike character portraits out there to match the tone and your character, either looking through the obsidian forums or reddit.

It is ridiculous they didn't just include at least one decent choice for every look, though. My wizard doesn't look the way she should, either.

I started at the early bird 20 dollar level, then went....higher.

Here's a bit of quality of life advice. ALWAYS put a couple of points into athletics. It's SUPER fucking annoying to have party members tired when you're not even a floor and a half through a dungeon.

Dave

Staff member
I have found two fights that I just plain haven't been able to win with my current group. It's frustrating as hell. Especially since they nerfed the arbalest by about 20 points.

Fuck Ogre druids.

Here's a bit of quality of life advice. ALWAYS put a couple of points into athletics. It's SUPER fucking annoying to have party members tired when you're not even a floor and a half through a dungeon.
This is good advice... if I didn't need to continuously rest since the only companion tank available, 'Eder' has a mediocre stat build (Mig: 16 Con: 16 Dex: 11 Per: 12 Int: 10 Res: 13) and is at best a mediocre meat shield. Yes, I can create a main tank but there's no companion rogues and my rogue is the DPS king. I also don't want to get a merc in since I want all companions for RP reasons. I'm playing on Hard. Don't know if this isn't the case on lower difficulties but in all, it's challenging, especially with these characters....

I'm truly not a fan of the health/endurance thing. A few encounters happen and I need to rest because who know what the fuck happened but Eder health has bled to 1/5 while everyone is almost topped off. He didn't even get knocked down! My Priest or whoever can't even give him back health. SO LOL, I MUST CAMP. Yep, gotta back track all the way up because "YOU CAN'T REST HERE! LOL" prompt comes up then I gotta go head back to town. What is this shit? Can't wait for a mod to kill that crap restriction.

My major gripe with the game is that whenever I meet an enemy caster, I don't know WTF he's casting. I've had cases where enemy magi have cast something and my guys get WRECKED and I'm like WTF did he cast???? What good is the battlelog if it won't record this shit being done? How can I use my interrupt spells/abilities if I can't predict they are doing? How did this pass testing? NO ONE BROUGHT THIS UP? WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!

I thankfully found the "slow combat down" option which helps but honestly? Combat is quirky as FUCK. The path-finding is probably the wrong I've seen in these games. Watching Eder blunder around towhere I send him giving ALL ENEMIES attacks of opportunity is brilliantly terrible.The fact some weapons aren't good against certain types. FINE but can I change weapons? Nope! 4 sets available, 2 locked and my 2nd one is mostly for ranged weapons. UGHHHHH.....

I downloaded the IEMod for the option to respec my companions as their choices the first few levels are simply putrid. Bear's Will on my Priest? WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THAT. I'm seriously opting to disable the whole attacks of opportunity thing as the path-finding is retarded. Getting companions later on is huge issue as they auto-level and let's just say, fuck you, whoever thought that was a good idea.

Now I won't get into the whole min/maxing thing but seriously companion stats are terrible across the board. The only one that is decently built is Kana. The rest at best are mediocre. Now, I'm not expecting everyone to be Korgan or Sarevok awesome but at least give me Aerie or Imoen.... what I have mostly are Jaheira or Cernd... Unless I find access to items that max a stat I got some really gimped characters in my party. Money is not easy to come by, at least so far. The only Paladin, Pallegina? (Mig: 12 Con: 13 Dex: 11 Per: 14 Int: 13 Res: 15)

Fuck off.

There's a lot of gripes for me in this game but it's not all bad. I like it... just not love it. The storyline is honestly great. The lore is compelling and the graphics are amazing but all in all... this game is simply no BG2.... more of a BG 1 with better graphics. I look forward to POE 2, hopefully they can fix the quirks then.

I've tried it on all difficulties. I don't think you need to worry about min/maxing much until hard.

I found money to not be much of an issue (I also left Raedric's Keep mostly lifeless, so I had a ton of shit to sell, including like a dozen suits of plate, so I had like 12000 gold from that place).

Yeah Dave.

I'm on hard Frank.

I've mostly been doing the main quest to get access to all the companions. Now that I have everyone, I need to think of a proper party setup for the duration of the game (short of the undesirables side quests). Gotta say, I got Eder who's MEH and maybe the weaksauce Paladin or a defensive Ranger's pet? Anyone have suggestions? No merc though.

I keep really wanting to really REALLLY like this game..... but some design decisions are fucking insanely bad. Call me old-school but I like the concept of "run out of HP" then you DIE and need a resurrection. Having my rogue gets 2 shotted because he has like 70 endurance and 350 health makes me mad. I like how it's almost like the new style D&D with 4 different defenses though. I like how several abilities are encounter based.... but most of my cleric's and wizard's abilities are rest based? You know what this makes me want to do? Not use my spells or use them and then play the game of rest. Which will be out of the dungeon and every hour or so will provide you a nice trip back to town.

UGH.

I need a mod stat of "rest where the fuck I want - I'm chill with enemies attacking occasionally" as well as "max camping supplies of 10".

Yeah Dave.

I'm on hard Frank.

I've mostly been doing the main quest to get access to all the companions. Now that I have everyone, I need to think of a proper party setup for the duration of the game (short of the undesirables side quests). Gotta say, I got Eder who's MEH and maybe the weaksauce Paladin or a defensive Ranger's pet? Anyone have suggestions? No merc though.

I keep really wanting to really REALLLY like this game..... but some design decisions are fucking insanely bad. Call me old-school but I like the concept of "run out of HP" then you DIE and need a resurrection. Having my rogue gets 2 shotted because he has like 70 endurance and 350 health makes me mad. I like how it's almost like the new style D&D with 4 different defenses though. I like how several abilities are encounter based.... but most of my cleric's and wizard's abilities are rest based? You know what this makes me want to do? Not use my spells or use them and then play the game of rest. Which will be out of the dungeon and every hour or so will provide you a nice trip back to town.

UGH.

I need a mod stat of "rest where the fuck I want - I'm chill with enemies attacking occasionally" as well as "max camping supplies of 10".
Wizards and Clerics are weak most of the time, and have to reserve themselves to big fights, just like in oldschool D&D. -EXCEPT- when they become level 9. Starting at level 9, their lower tier spells change from per rest to per encounter. That's when they start rocking, hard.

Though, even at low levels, wizards at least get arcane barrage, or whatever it's called. It starts at like 2 per encounter or whatever, and is a pretty decent AoE, but is one of the few AoE's that -don't- hit allies.

Necronic

Staff member
The whole Endurance vs HP thing really is quite weird. Doesn't really make sense to me. In Jagged Alliance there were some similar mechanics, and you could get knocked out while still being alive, but you could also just straight up die. My main beef with the game is the micromanagement of the fights. There's just too much to do there. A lot of it could be scripted with some system similar to DA:O. All in all though an exceptional game.

GasBandit

Staff member
The whole Endurance vs HP thing really is quite weird. Doesn't really make sense to me. In Jagged Alliance there were some similar mechanics, and you could get knocked out while still being alive, but you could also just straight up die.
It always seemed to me that 0HP shouldn't mean unconscious, in all D&D-type situations. Consciousness should not be an automatic function of HP. Rather, "unconscious" should be a status effect, like "poisoned" or "stunned" etc. That way, you can have a given attack require the target to make a fortitude save or become unconscious, and when your HP gets below 10% (or to 1, if you have less than 10 max hp) you have to make the saving throw every round or lose consciousness.

Dave

Staff member
I'd be more okay with it if you could heal your people at all. I mean, once they are down they are gone, even if you have magic that gives them endurance. And there's no way to magically heal actual hit points, which I've never had reach 0 so I'm not sure why they are there.

I'd be more okay with it if you could heal your people at all. I mean, once they are down they are gone, even if you have magic that gives them endurance. And there's no way to magically heal actual hit points, which I've never had reach 0 so I'm not sure why they are there.
Trust me, you don't want your party members reaching 0hp. If they're only maimed, it's ok - you can rest and have them be healthy again, but if they die, they're dead for good.

It's pretty much just another way to force you to rest occasionally, and a way to make casters a bit less squishy - being knocked out isn't an immediate game over, but as the Ko's or fleshwounds pile up, you'll need to rest up eventually.[DOUBLEPOST=1428435810,1428435763][/DOUBLEPOST]There's no resurrection in the game at all. Dead is dead. (or maimed on lower difficulties)

I'm liking the endurance/hp mechanics. It feels old school, while still being more forgiving than actual oldschool. You guys have just forgotten what it was like to play a level 1 wizard in D&D 2.0 and have 4hp where any light breeze could kill you dead.

Can I reiterate how much I fucking hate shades, shadows, phantoms and specters? They can all, each in turn, pluck my ass hairs and eat them one by one.

Also, monk is the best class. I know, but now I've tried every class. Punching dudes across the map is maybe the best ability. Unlike D&D monks, these guys are anti-avoidance dps. They're kamikaze speed punching psychopaths who shout HURT ME MORE while they punch dudes into pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dei
Unlike D&D monks, these guys are anti-avoidance dps.
Hey, I really liked my D&D monk.
He also rolled psionics and didn't do too badly when getting his psi-stats, so he was like a monk who could actually do some of those "magical" attacks/abilities you see in the movies.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
My monk in NWN was damn near indestructible once I'd gotten him leveled up. Deflecting arrows like crazy, beating down dragons with his fists.

Best flavour text in the Salty Mast (whore house) when you check out a pile of cushions.

"Astoundingly, you find no change between these cushions."

Necronic

Staff member
I can't tell if I'm disappointed in the stronghold or not. In a way it strikes me as the perfect place for them to introduce some procedurally generated content. Like some proper roguelike/sandbox elements. Also it seems pretty much impossible to come out financially positive on the thing. I really wish the endless paths really were endless. Or that the warden would send you on an unlimited number of bounty hunts. Something more...open ended.

Starting at level 9, their lower tier spells change from per rest to per encounter. That's when they start rocking, hard.
And i just got an erection...

Kind of annoying that you have to wait that long to get spells you can use at your leisure... D&D and Pathfinder both did at-wills for a reason, and the wand attack just isn't the same.

And i just got an erection...

Kind of annoying that you have to wait that long to get spells you can use at your leisure... D&D and Pathfinder both did at-wills for a reason, and the wand attack just isn't the same.
All the caster classes get some kind of per encounter abilites though.