[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

Ugh

Finally got my first 1v1 win off of the first one I queued for today, but it took nearly 30 minutes. This fucking guy won the first round, and then spent every single one after that running from me until the timer hit zero.

EVERY

SINGLE

MATCH

I caught up to him with a couple characters and we back-and-forthed until it was 3-4 him (with more Catch-Me-If-You-Can antics), and I guess he finally got tired of fleeing. I won with Zarya, then he finally got aggressive at 4-4 on a Tracer match. Dude chased me down immediately, but I managed to win by using my Rewind better than he did.

So fucking satisfying.

@Ravenpoe looks like you only get the rewards for playing HotS, not Overwatch.
So I guess I'll be looking for people over there before 1/4?

--Patrick
I'll probably play HotS on my laptop during this coming week because my parents sleep in the computer room and Overwatch on my wifi from the laptop is sketchy. AI games count, so everyone and their brother is looking for groups to just do quick AI games though.

I'll probably play HotS on my laptop during this coming week because my parents sleep in the computer room and Overwatch on my wifi from the laptop is sketchy. AI games count, so everyone and their brother is looking for groups to just do quick AI games though.
I don't have a problem with that. AI exp might be less, but it is still exp, and grouped = bonus exp.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been wanting to try this for so long but haven't had the opportunity:

I mean, Sombra's relocation beacon IS such an obvious "place trap here" signal.

--Patrick
Doesn't always work, though. A Junkrat and I sat at a translocator for 12 straight seconds yesterday and it just vanished.

Got to try Sombra and the new Arcade stuff today for myself.

I like Sombra; there's some creative ways she can be used.

I also like the Arcade reward system. It will probably be my go-to way to play. The 1v1 can be intense or dumb as hell. 3v3 is solid.

Hah! Trickle!
I feel like Widowmaker should have had Reach, though (and maybe be U?).
And Ana should also have had "WWT: Tap target attacking creature and remove it from combat. That creature does not untap as normal during its next untap phase."

--Patrick

Last edited:
This may sound hilarious, but I think Torbjorn is better on attack rather then defense now.

A night or two ago with some friends we decided to do QP and I asked them, just for giggles, if I could play Torbjorn on attack. Went into the game, Hollywood, and they were beating us at first, but then we pushed through and I got a turret up and they were unable to take Point A back. Once the point capped I ran over to the car and put my turret on it, then stood to the SIDE of the car and hammered it as it moved, the other team unable to get the focused damage together to kill it before I could heal it, and unable to hit me behind the car. We steam rolled all the way to the end and they finally got me around the last bend, so I went to the side and put up a turret there after respawning, taking them totally by surprise, and we won. I got POTG and a 4 gold medal card, it was hilarious, and my friends couldn't believe it.

So tonight I decided to join another QP, just totally solo, and got Route 66 attack, so for laughs I picked torb again, the team even said in voice chat, "really? A torb?" I pre-setup a turret in the room that looks right out to the payload, then ran up the left side to the upper cliffs, placing it right above the enemy. It killed them all, so then I did the ride and hammer again. We had just hit the second checkpoint when the enemy Dva ulted right on top of me, but I was not going to just lay down. I ran in the left side into the warehouse and up to the moving platforms, placing my turret on one and riding it all the way across, getting kills the whole way. When I reach the end I am on that little platform just above their spawn room, so I jump off and place my turret there, shooting them in the back any time they came out, and they couldn't target me while I hammered on it, leaving them so distracted my team obliterated them. We won and I got another POTG while riding the payload. My team was like "holy shit".

Those teams turned into a 3 series of games, so next we did attack eichen, and I actually picked Winston, but my team was like "no dude, go torb", so I did. I used higher side paths to get up turrets and forced them back, we took the point but this time they were focusing better on the payload, so I ran around the side to the upper bridge and put my turret up there, right behind them, killed the weaker ones then jumped down and obliterated a Zarya with my alt fire. Funny enough in this game the Dva ulted just me to get me to hopefully stop, but it was too late, my team got the second checkpoint. As I respawned and ran inside I stayed to the upper castle stairs, knocked out the rails and put up my turret, which forced them to hide around the corner at the final objective point, so I rushed the corner and literally walked into the alcove the Tracer and Lucio were hiding, those shotgun blasts were sweet. I quickly ulted and hammered up my turret in the alcove, and it was over. I didn't get POTG that round (it went to a Reinhardt on my team for an amazing quad kill before Point A), but my team literally said "thank you for all those armors, daddy torb!"

Final game of the night was defense, same teams, and the other team decided to do the two tank, two healer meta. We started okay but they overpowered us, me unable to keep my turret up very long since they now had a Reinhardt defending the offense and the healers keeping him and the Dva alive. I mean seriously, my turret up-time from offense to defense was like night and day. They ended up pushing us all the way to the castle so I decided to switch it up to Lucio, and danced the payload to keep them from moving. We ended up winning on the final bend because they just couldn't kill me, and boy were the other team salty for those losses.

It was on that the matchmaker ended the teams, so I decided to just end on a high note.

This may sound hilarious, but I think Torbjorn is better on attack rather then defense now.
The faster hammer speed has really made a difference now on how quickly you can drop a surprise turret on the other team. Played well, it's like having a 7th team member. I'm still not used to the passive scrap regeneration, though. I keep finding myself at 200 scrap because I forget to barf up armor fast enough.

--Patrick

The faster hammer speed has really made a difference now on how quickly you can drop a surprise turret on the other team. Played well, it's like having a 7th team member. I'm still not used to the passive scrap regeneration, though. I keep finding myself at 200 scrap because I forget to barf up armor fast enough.
Usually I spray armors all over the ground near me and then use it as a mock self heal when engaging 1on1.

If I don't get a chance to do that though, I just drop all my scrap after I die right outside the spawn room, so I know some of my team will go into the next fight a bit stronger.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, Torb's deliciously awesome now. And as Snuffles was telling me the other day, even Attack Bastion works more often than Defense Bastion. The reasons might be somewhat related.

I remember we had a mystery heroes match last week that made him bastion, me mercy, and a rando was a Torb, all on attack on hollywood. Once they got set up on the payload, we rolled straight over everything without stopping.

Wellp, as a routine Lucio player, I now feel completely and totally inadequate in every way, shape and form.
Aside from dealing with people named "PoopFeast420," my takeaways from that video are:
-Play Lucio like Pharah. Except that while Pharah's domain is the air, Lucio's domain is the surface of every solid object.
-Use crossfade wisely for a burst of speed/heal as needed. Don't just peg it on one side or the other and leave it.
-Wallride all the things. ALL the time. People don't expect that, and with the crossfade they will have even more trouble hitting you.
-Use that *BOMP* for environmental kills. So many of them.

--Patrick
EDIT: Fixed stupid player name

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Aside from dealing with people named "PoopStank420," my takeaways from that video are:
-Play Lucio like Pharah. Except that while Pharah's domain is the air, Lucio's domain is the surface of every solid object.
-Use crossfade wisely for a burst of speed/heal as needed. Don't just peg it on one side or the other and leave it.
-Wallride all the things. ALL the time. People don't expect that, and with the crossfade they will have even more trouble hitting you.
-Use that *BOMP* for environmental kills. So many of them.

--Patrick
Sure, it all sounds so logical. Putting it into practice, however...

I assure you, there is never a time when I am on Lucio that I am NOT constantly trying to set up a BOMP for an environmental kill.

Installed Overwatch yesterday for the F2P weekend (my wife really wanted me to try the game out). I think I'll buy it tonight, while it's still on sale ($35 for the Origins thing) unless I see/hear of a better deal coming.

Arcade was pretty fun. Won my only 1v1 (which was pretty much all champs I had never played), did a bunch of normals and blind picks.

From what feels good/natural, I'll probably be trying to master Bastion/Roadhog/Zarya first.

Hahaha... everybody's gonna haaaate you :D

At least it's not Mei, though.

Come find us in Ventrilo after 8 central most nights.
My SO said the same thing, down to the Mei thing. I also like Torb, but he seems pretty hard without intimate knowledge of the maps. It's hard not to do Bastion on defense when your partner mains Mercy, tho :p

I'll jump on there once I'm past the cringing-bad phase. I don't want taped evidence of it.

GasBandit

Staff member
My SO said the same thing, down to the Mei thing. I also like Torb, but he seems pretty hard without intimate knowledge of the maps. It's hard not to do Bastion on defense when your partner mains Mercy, tho :p

I'll jump on there once I'm past the cringing-bad phase. I don't want taped evidence of it.
For extra super fun, once you get to level 25, you can do your placement matches so you can play COMPETITIVE with us, where the salt rains in torrents.