[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

I mean, you know very well that Roadhog's hook is currently not working right, even you cop to your own bullshit hooks. Not worth bitching about it yet.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't imagine the perma-death matches are a lot of fun. Many of the characters die very quickly.
It changes how you play them, to be sure. But yeah, characters that can heal themselves do have a teensy bit of an advantage. Still, you gotta be smart about it. And it's first to 3 rounds, so you're not queueing 60 seconds to play 10 or anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
Terrik messaged me to let me know the patch is live.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5d4lnm/live_patch_notes_1502_released_111516_sombra_is/

General
  • Dealing damage to non-players (like Torbjorn's turrets or Symmetra's teleporter), no longer charges ultimate abilities
  • Ultimate costs have been increased by 25% for all heroes
Ana – nerfed * Nano Boost (Q): No longer increases move speed
D.Va – buffed * Mech health increased to 200 (formerly 100). Armor remains at 400 * Movement speed while firing has been increased by 25% * Call Mech (Pilot-Form Q): Ultimate cost has been decreased by 20% "This reduces the cost back down to what it was before the global ultimate cost change."
Lúcio – nerfed * Amp It Up (E): * Healing-per-second has been decreased by 10%
Mei – nerfed * Blizzard (Q): Ultimate cost has been increased by 15%
Mercy – buffed * Passive health regeneration now kicks in when Mercy avoids taking damage for 1 second (formerly 3 seconds)
Pharah – buffed * Rocket Launcher (Primary): * Minimum explosion damage has been increased by 13% * Minimum explosion knockback has been decreased to 0% * Hover Jets Lift increased by 35%
Soldier: 76 – buffed * Pulse Rifle (Primary): Bullet damage increased from 17 to 20 * Maximum bullet spread Increased from 2.2 to 2.4
Torbjörn – changed * Scrap is now automatically generated over time * The amount of scrap collected from a fallen enemy has been decreased by 40% * Forge Hammer (Primary): Swing speed increased by 25%, damage decreased by 27%
Widowmaker – buffed * Venom Mine (E): Explosion no longer damages the player who placed the mine * Widow’s Kiss (Scope): Charge rate increased by 20%
Zarya – nerfed * Particle Barrier (Shift): Power gained from barriers decreased by 20% * Projected Barrier (E): Power gained from barriers decreased by 20%

The D.Va changes went through as initially implemented. Expect to see a whole lot more easymoders going forward.

Terrik messaged me to let me know the patch is live.
Dangit. I left for work today just 51pts from my next (discounted) level. Now I'll have to get an extra 5449 on top of that.
Aside from the 22k for every lvl after promotion, do we know if the 1-hero-per change to QP went through, too?

--Patrick

I don't think you've played D.Va enough to realize you go from 500-0 HP in 2 seconds flat more often that not thanks to the super huge front facing crit box. I've been playing PTR a lot prior to today and didn't notice a huge difference.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't think you've played D.Va enough to realize you go from 500-0 HP in 2 seconds flat more often that not thanks to the super huge front facing crit box. I've been playing PTR a lot prior to today and didn't notice a huge difference.
What can I tell you, my experience is different - D.Va is by far the longest lasting tank against me (Rein's barrier notwithstanding), whether I'm on Roadhog or Soldier 76. She's got 400 armor. Even Reinhardt only gets 200. And now she can actually move around while firing. She was easymode to begin with, and now she's easier. That you can't tell the difference between being slapped at 60mph and 70mph doesn't mean it's not a step in the wrong direction.

What can I tell you, my experience is different - D.Va is by far the longest lasting tank against me (Rein's barrier notwithstanding), whether I'm on Roadhog or Soldier 76. She's got 400 armor. Even Reinhardt only gets 200. And now she can actually move around while firing. She was easymode to begin with, and now she's easier. That you can't tell the difference between being slapped at 60mph and 70mph doesn't mean it's not a step in the wrong direction.
What's that you like to say? I'm scissors, nerf rock? :p She's practically made to wreck Roadhog.

GasBandit

Staff member
And, I mean, you remember when I posted this before, right? Still rings just as true now. Possibly moreso.

[DOUBLEPOST=1479246272,1479246222][/DOUBLEPOST]
It runs out quite often. Part of the problem is that Soldier has one burst damage option on a long cooldown, other than that he does spray and pray levels of damage.
All I need to say is when I was playing soldier, I was getting 4 gold medals nearly every match. I think I know what Soldier's about, thanks.

And, I mean, you remember when I posted this before, right? Still rings just as true now. Possibly moreso.

[DOUBLEPOST=1479246272,1479246222][/DOUBLEPOST]
All I need to say is when I was playing soldier, I was getting 4 gold medals nearly every match. I think I know what Soldier's about, thanks.
And I'm pointing out that the 2 characters you play are a character that is huge and vulnerable to her guns, and a character that doesn't have the burst to burn her down when her matrix is down, or from the back/sides. So your perspective is skewed based on the rock/paper/scissors scenario.

She's easy mode against your limited selection of heroes anyhow.

However, when I'm playing:

Reinhart (Does not give a damn about her defense matrix and hits like a truck, shield blocks ult)
Mei (Freeze goes right through defense matrix, and mei has more than enough warning to pop ice shield when low, also blocks ult)
Reaper (Tank killer supreme)
Zenyatta (Discord orb tears through her armor, although can get messy if D.va plays agressive)
Phara (well, 50-50 on this one. Almost one shots zero-suit D.va, and can mess up one from behind quickly if D.va isn't paying attention. Can fly out of range of ult if in open areas)
Tracer (d.va can't hit tracer if her life depended on it)
Genji (Similar issues to Tracer)
Zarya (Laser beams through defense matrix pew pew)

However, she counters the heck out of slow firing / low ammo heroes. Pharah is only a partial counter because of the flying mobility, but there's enough D.vas that know to fly in your face, so she suffers similar issues to Hog and 76--Junkrat is also somewhat less effective as well.

In Roadhog's case, he has 4 shots per clip and he needs a minimum of two shots in her crit box to knock her out. To finish the job, he needs to hope he hasn't used his hook yet and can insta-gib her with hook and cook. Otherwise, yeah, you aren't going to deal with a hero that his unlimited ammo and shooting an enormous piggy hitbox. The 4 clip magazine also hurts hog when it comes to getting stuff absorbed by defense matrix.

76's problems are similar. He doesn't do enough front-loaded damage to knock her out of her mech quickly. His helix rockets, doing a grand total of 1 pharah-rocket worth of damage (and on a long cooldown) are easily absorbed. On a 200 HP hero, that'll bring the pain, but it's not going to do much to the 500 HP+ heroes. Also, at 25 shots/clip that fire quickly, are also absorbed by defense matrix quickly and require a lot of reloading. Then again, 76 wasn't supposed to counter tanks. He's supposed to be a longer ranged hitscan counter. His heal is good when at medium/long range, but won't be effective close range with D.va, or, any other tank beyond Harambe.

GasBandit

Staff member
And I'm pointing out that the 2 characters you play are a character that is huge and vulnerable to her guns, and a character that doesn't have the burst to burn her down when her matrix is down, or from the back/sides. So your perspective is skewed based on the rock/paper/scissors scenario.
The two characters I play have separate damage profiles - range vs point blank. If she's effective against both, that kind of shows she's a scissor made of rock, now doesn't it?

She's easy mode against your limited selection of heroes anyhow.

However, when I'm playing:

Reinhart (Does not give a damn about her defense matrix and hits like a truck, shield blocks ult)
Has to close to point blank range to hit her, where her guns do the most damage and she doesn't ever have to reload either.

Mei (Freeze goes right through defense matrix, and mei has more than enough warning to pop ice shield when low, also blocks ult)
Psf, Mei is everyone's counter and needs to be deleted from the game. This is just more of that.

Reaper (Tank killer supreme)
Yes, Reaper is a tank killer. He kills all the tanks very well. That doesn't mean she's not easymode. And he's no better at hitting her "huge ass crit box" than anyone else.
Zenyatta (Discord orb tears through her armor, although can get messy if D.va plays agressive)
That's a very common scenario, and again, discord orb tears through everybody. She's far better equipped to deal with it though.
Phara (well, 50-50 on this one. Almost one shots zero-suit D.va, and can mess up one from behind quickly if D.va isn't paying attention. Can fly out of range of ult if in open areas)
And Dva can completely nullify Pharah's ult with a right click. Not even a counter-ult... a right. Click.
Tracer (d.va can't hit tracer if her life depended on it)
Pretty much nobody but autoaimers can.
Genji (Similar issues to Tracer)
Similar response.
Zarya (Laser beams through defense matrix pew pew)
Zarya's got no armor, and her barrier takes actual decisionmaking skills to use. Too hard! Need easymode so DVa. Kekeke.
In Roadhog's case, he has 4 shots per clip and he needs a minimum of two shots in her crit box to knock her out. To finish the job, he needs to hope he hasn't used his hook yet and can insta-gib her with hook and cook. Otherwise, yeah, you aren't going to deal with a hero that his unlimited ammo and shooting an enormous piggy hitbox. The 4 clip magazine also hurts hog when it comes to getting stuff absorbed by defense matrix.
All true
76's problems are similar. He doesn't do enough front-loaded damage to knock her out of her mech quickly. His helix rockets, doing a grand total of 1 pharah-rocket worth of damage (and on a long cooldown) are easily absorbed. On a 200 HP hero, that'll bring the pain, but it's not going to do much to the 500 HP+ heroes. Also, at 25 shots/clip that fire quickly, are also absorbed by defense matrix quickly and require a lot of reloading. Then again, 76 wasn't supposed to counter tanks. He's supposed to be a longer ranged hitscan counter. His heal is good when at medium/long range, but won't be effective close range with D.va, or, any other tank beyond Harambe.
In my experience, 76 actually has a decent chance to enable DVa to get taken down by the rest of the team by forcing her to use her entire defence matrix on him by constantly spraying her face (and helix rocket if she dares drop the defense matrix) until it runs out. It doesn't take as long as Reinhardt's barrier, thankfully, but it relies heavily on having a teammate to double team her with you, because otherwise she'll just boost up into your face and gun you down.

My point is - DVa has a low skill floor (possibly the lowest) that's only getting lower.

The two characters I play have separate damage profiles - range vs point blank. If she's effective against both, that kind of shows she's a scissor made of rock, now doesn't it?

Has to close to point blank range to hit her, where her guns do the most damage and she doesn't ever have to reload either.

Psf, Mei is everyone's counter and needs to be deleted from the game. This is just more of that.

Yes, Reaper is a tank killer. He kills all the tanks very well. That doesn't mean she's not easymode. And he's no better at hitting her "huge ass crit box" than anyone else.That's a very common scenario, and again, discord orb tears through everybody. She's far better equipped to deal with it though.And Dva can completely nullify Pharah's ult with a right click. Not even a counter-ult... a right. Click.Pretty much nobody but autoaimers can.Similar response.Zarya's got no armor, and her barrier takes actual decisionmaking skills to use. Too hard! Need easymode so DVa. Kekeke. All true
In my experience, 76 actually has a decent chance to enable DVa to get taken down by the rest of the team by forcing her to use her entire defence matrix on him by constantly spraying her face (and helix rocket if she dares drop the defense matrix) until it runs out. It doesn't take as long as Reinhardt's barrier, thankfully, but it relies heavily on having a teammate to double team her with you, because otherwise she'll just boost up into your face and gun you down.

My point is - DVa has a low skill floor (possibly the lowest) that's only getting lower.
I'm just going to say: your assessment of Reinhardts chances against dva are wrong. She is by far my easiest tank to kill and this buff didn't change anything about that.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, after playing tonight with snuffles in Mystery Heroes and 3v3, here's some observations:

Pharah's a LOT more agile now. Her 35% boost to upward thrust means that dodging by going up and down (holding space and dropping and repeating) is a very viable tactic to stymie the aim of hitscans like Soldier, McCree and Bastion. Her movement is less predictable because, previously where she basically had to slowly claw her way up for every inch of altitude, now she can afford to juke a bit so she's harder to lead/anticipate. The increase in her rocket AE damage is palpable (I was messing bozos UP on her) and she can stay higher and in the air for much longer than previously. The nerf to her rocket knockback is barely noticeable, if at all.

Sombra, as previously postulated, is a teensy bit overpowered. Her DPS easily outpaces Roadhog's self-heal, and her teleporter is every bit the get-out-of-jail-free card Muselk showed it to be. Hacking the health packs is a huge game changer, especially on king of the hill maps. To restore balance, I'd say-
1) Her damage needs to go down by about 2 per shot
2) Hacking a health kit needs to be 30 second duration, not 60
and
3) The teleporter needs to be instant use, not place-and-use-within-15-seconds.

Torbjorn's now an armor-dispensing maniac and is definitely a viable pick again.

Zarya's still fine.

Didn't get to test Soldier 76.

Slower Ult building is a GODSEND.

Didn't get to test Soldier 76.
He's actually a credible threat to tanks now. Well, maybe not as much to D.Va (with her health boost), but a rocket + full clip from him is now 620dmg instead of the 545 it used to be. His ult is now enough to almost guarantee eliminating 3 non-tank chars, and his faster reload time, damage, and fire rate are improved enough that Pharah, Genji, and Tracer have to take him more seriously.

In practice, Sombra's biggest threat seems to be her ability to hack. Otherwise, her weapon falloff really handicaps her usefulness at any distance as an assault character. She's probably going to end up being another Tracer/Reaper archetype (i.e., strike, retreat, repeat).

Also I can't get used to the way she runs. She just looks so silly with her arm up in the air like that.

--Patrick

Last edited: