[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

Having little to no problems with Sombra. I honestly find her a little weak for the most part, good at tickling you but does not have the staying power of Tracer, Reaper, or Genji. Her main job seems to be more about disruption, which she does well, but she does not have the tools to stick around in a sustained firefight. Even her stealth is really easy to counter by just spraying the area she was in when she poofed.

Soldier76 is definitely one of the stronger heroes right now. During a 3v3 match I went Zenyatta and just kept my orbs on the S76 and enemies, and just the two of us sticking together were able to kill the enemy team (the mccree on our team kept dying because he would go off alone).

BTW I love the arcade. Last night I played a 1vs1, 3vs3, and some mystery brawls, and walked away with 4 loot boxes as I also leveled. Can still go back and get some wins for the other two loot boxes for this week. Adding the loot boxes was a great incentive for many people to do the arcade, just hope it does not hurt QP to bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
The thing about 1v1 and 3v3 deathmatch, to me, is that really the characters and the game were balanced around the dynamics of health pack hunting (if you don't self-heal) and respawning - so really they're almost totally different games... 3v3 especially. It definitely favors classes that can heal themselves over those that can't, but with the caveat that dealing damage must be the first priority. Zenyatta, 76 and Roadhog (and to a slightly lesser degree, Reaper) really seem to clean house there. There's rarely time to build an ult before a round is over.[DOUBLEPOST=1479312936,1479312671][/DOUBLEPOST]
Having little to no problems with Sombra. I honestly find her a little weak for the most part, good at tickling you but does not have the staying power of Tracer, Reaper, or Genji. Her main job seems to be more about disruption, which she does well, but she does not have the tools to stick around in a sustained firefight. Even her stealth is really easy to counter by just spraying the area she was in when she poofed.
Is that in Competitive? Because it sounds to me like you're playing Sombras that don't know how to Sombra. She's definitely hit and run and disruption, but using stealth to get away is risky at best and futile at worst. Her invis is for getting IN to position, and her teleport is for getting away. Like Muselk did in that video, the best steps seem to go: Put translocator on large health pack, go invisible and get behind enemy team, burst one of them down with a shower of close range headshots, then teleport back out. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I love the Torbjorn changes, mostly because it brings back his ability to heal his turret while under fire and makes him much more viable as a static defender. So many times in the past I was trying to hold a defense point only for the armor mechanic to put me somewhere vulnerable and getting ganked. Now I better choose to take that risk.

One of the Mystery Brawls I got last night was attack on Volskya, and we were losing pretty bad. We got lucky and took Point A during overtime (I forget which hero I was at the time, but I died in the attempt) and respawned as Torbjorn. First I collected all the scrap from the Point A battle, then headed up to the higher level. I put my turret on the platforms, and while it got off a few hits it died before getting any kills. What really messed the enemy up was me moving down to the side (down the right stairway) and putting up my turret around the corner. It would shoot just over the stairway sight line, and anytime an enemy noticed and fired at it I just stood around the corner hammering it's health back up faster then most could damage it (all the while throwing armor packs for the Roadhog nearby to use as a mock healing). It killed 3 of them then a Tracer tried to get me, so I used Molten Core and hammered her to death with the help of the Roadhog, then ran in an hammered an Ana and Soldier to death when a Mei trapped us all together in a corner, taking Point B and the win.

Needless to say, it was POTG. ;)

Is that in Competitive? Because it sounds to me like you're playing Sombras that don't know how to Sombra. She's definitely hit and run and disruption, but using stealth to get away is risky at best and futile at worst. Her invis is for getting IN to position, and her teleport is for getting away. Like Muselk did in that video, the best steps seem to go: Put translocator on large health pack, go invisible and get behind enemy team, burst one of them down with a shower of close range headshots, then teleport back out. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I don't play Competitive anymore, so no. Just Quick Play, No Limits, or Mystery Brawl. In the end though the strategy you are saying is pretty much what Tracer does anyways, and she does it usually better since she can do more damage overall, has more methods of confusion, and her ultimate can wipe a team (EMP only works well in conjunction with someone else's Ult or to nullify an Ult).

Muselk is a pretty good player, but he isn't the be all, end all of game play balance. Going online, those that call her "overpowered" and "underpowered" is pretty mixed from what I see, with some saying she is too weak to be viable in the meta and others saying she breaks the game. We will have to see how it stabilizes, but again, my own experiences have shown her to be pretty weak on her own. During one of my 3vs3 matches we had to fight a Sombra as the last enemy and she couldn't even take me down as Zenyatta at close range, and she was using all the tricks in the book from stealth to porting to hacking me, I felt zero threatened by her (though the lack of a health pack for her to hack likely did have a lot to do with that)

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't play Competitive anymore, so no. Just Quick Play, No Limits, or Mystery Brawl. In the end though the strategy you are saying is pretty much what Tracer does anyways, and she does it usually better since she can do more damage overall, has more methods of confusion, and her ultimate can wipe a team (EMP only works well in conjunction with someone else's Ult or to nullify an Ult).

Muselk is a pretty good player, but he isn't the be all, end all of game play balance. Going online, those that call her "overpowered" and "underpowered" is pretty mixed from what I see, with some saying she is too weak to be viable in the meta and others saying she breaks the game. We will have to see how it stabilizes, but again, my own experiences have shown her to be pretty weak on her own. During one of my 3vs3 matches we had to fight a Sombra as the last enemy and she couldn't even take me down as Zenyatta at close range, and she was using all the tricks in the book from stealth to porting to hacking me, I felt zero threatened by her (though the lack of a health pack for her to hack likely did have a lot to do with that)
Yeah, without health packs, Sombra dries up and blows away like dead leaves. And, as I said earlier... 3v3 is really a different game than what has previously been "Overwatch."

I love the Torbjorn changes, mostly because it brings back his ability to heal his turret while under fire and makes him much more viable as a static defender. So many times in the past I was trying to hold a defense point only for the armor mechanic to put me somewhere vulnerable and getting ganked. Now I better choose to take that risk.
Torb's biggest improvement, in my opinion, is the faster hammer speed. Before, you couldn't get a turret upgraded even if the only one shooting at it was a single Tracer at 1km away. Now that you can build it faster, it's finally worthwhile to move that turret around on the map rather than trying to put it waaaaay ahead of things and hope they come your way.

--Patrick

Hahaha sometimes this game can be so cruel.

During the holiday events I purchase one set of 50 loot boxes for the skins (I just forgo my usual game purchase, nothing I really want these days) and found myself with a good influx of credits. With Sombra released I used some of them to deck her out in my favorite skin (Los Muertos) and a few extras sometime yesterday night.

Tonight, my first loot box has the Los Muertos skin. :confused:

Adding the loot boxes was a great incentive for many people to do the arcade, just hope it does not hurt QP to bad.
I think QP hurt QP. Wife saw that QP no longer has limitless hero numbers, went to that Arcade mode, and that's pretty much all she's going to do going forward.

Can't say I blame her. If the heroes are going to be limited, might as well play competitive.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think QP hurt QP. Wife saw that QP no longer has limitless hero numbers, went to that Arcade mode, and that's pretty much all she's going to do going forward.

Can't say I blame her. If the heroes are going to be limited, might as well play competitive.
I disagree. I like having a practice environment where my teammates aren't comprised of 3 bastions, a symmetra and a genji. Old QP was a useless clusterfuck 24/7. Now, it's still a useless clusterfuck 50% of the time (4 dps and a tank), but the other half ain't so bad. Pretty much all I played tonight was QP.

I mean, from a reward standpoint, Arcade is the way to go. Doing Mystery Brawl or No Limits pretty much gives the same amount of XP as Quick Play, but you also get an extra three boxes a week from it. QP is pretty much just competitive practice mode now.

Also after last night I gotta say that the Pharah changes appear to have made her more effective. Her left click is essentially a "lite" version of Hanzo's scatter arrow now.

--Patrick

Of course, by free weekend what Blizzard really means is "No one will be able to pre-download the game, so it's more like 2 days and not 4 because our servers are going to get hammered."

Which is a shame, because Zenyatta looks cool as fuck and I wanted to try him.

Of course, by free weekend what Blizzard really means is "No one will be able to pre-download the game, so it's more like 2 days and not 4 because our servers are going to get hammered."
Which is a shame, because Zenyatta looks cool as fuck and I wanted to try him.
"A warrior's greatest strength..."

"...is patience."

--Patrick

Really, 1vs1 is all about the first hit. As long as you approach it like that, you will do fine no matter the character. Can't tell you how many times I have hidden under some stairs only to jump on a guy and get the kill before he even realizes it.

GasBandit

Staff member
It was working fine for me earlier. And I was right: Zenyatta is definitely my favorite so far. It's quite fun.
Yeah, it wouldn't kick in until prime time. My theory is that skirmish uses regular game servers while the matchmaker is making matches, but when there's more players than servers, skirmish mysteriously stops happening (because there aren't any spare servers to use).[DOUBLEPOST=1479514667,1479514406][/DOUBLEPOST]Anybody who is trying it out this weekend and wants to play with me (and can stand the high salt content) my battlenet tag is GasBandit#1268

Downloading the updates now (should have done this sooner), but if you don't mind a noob who hasn't played since the open beta, I'll be around. My battletag is Mornhir#1742.

GasBandit

Staff member
I also recommend getting Ventrilo and getting into the HF ventrilo server, so we can trashtalk our rando teammates without them hearing it.