Official Goblins (comic) Thread

Will Chief ultimately survive this encounter?

• Yes, Chief will survive

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No, Chief will not survive

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I can close this poll now?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • When did we get that?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Necronic

Staff member
Yeah. Seems like there's something missing. So the last post I saw was the one with the door golem with the chains growing out his head, then the two Fig linked. Even between those two I feel like there's a page missing.

I don't read the comic, but something must've happened, because it lit up my Twitter feed...and I don't even follow anything Goblins-related.

--Patrick

Long story short, the axe that broke is actually a magical prison that holds a supremely powerful demon captive. And it just shattered. In the middle of a dungeon crawl. While our heroes are fighting monsters. And while they're pursued by the webcomic equivalent of the Terminator.

Origin of the axe here: http://www.goblinscomic.com/08122007/

Man, I forgot just how big a deal that demon is. This ain't looking that good for our guys. I wonder why exactly it broke though? It's supposed to be like, washed in good deeds otherwise it'll break so maybe Ears hasn't don't enough good with it yet since getting it?

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't have this figured out at all, but:
- They don't know if this group they're fighting is evil
- These "monsters" seem to be matched to the group somehow. The blue one with MinMax, the Red one with Names, the grey one with Thac0, the green one with Kickasso, and the yellow one with Big Ears.

GasBandit

Staff member
- These "monsters" seem to be matched to the group somehow. The blue one with MinMax, the Red one with Names, the grey one with Thac0, the green one with Kickasso, and the yellow one with Big Ears.
IIRC, if the target isn't evil, the axe just passes through it without effect.

IIRC, if the target isn't evil, the axe just passes through it without effect.
That's if the target is a paladin. It's why the axe doesn't hurt Big Ears or Kore. The axe can be used against good targets, as previous owners such as Saral Caine have shown. It's just that if the axe isn't used for good, then the seal on the demon is gradually weakened.

I agree with the theory that Big Ears hasn't been doing enough good with the axe since he got it. Also, stuff like Complains (a demi-demon) swinging the axe around couldn't have helped.

Necronic

Staff member
So, he did a detect evil and detected a massive amount of evil from them though right. Problem with that.

If you read the description/origin that bhamv linked there's this line:

It was predicted that if this vital weapon were to lay dorment and unused, or even worse, be used for evil it would take only 13 passings of the moon before the power of the axe would weaken to the point where the dreaded demon would break free and destroy the realm....The careful design of the axe was such that it would amplify the demon's evil as it radiated from the weakening prison.
So. The previous owner of the axe was DEFINITELY using it for evil right? And how long ago was that? 13 months doesn't sound that far off to be honest. And maybe the detect evil was responding to the failing axe. Not the weird golem dudes. Only thing that doesn't make sense is that Ears is a palidin and has been doing some good with it, so the prison should have been strengthening some.

However, maybe it wasn't enough. And if the dudes they are fighting are actually good guys, then the act of attacking them would have been evil and may have been enough to break the seal on the axe.

Then there's the fact that when he hit one of the golem it seems like he actually hit his buddy. Maybe they are attacking themselves right now?

Maybe they are attacking themselves right now?
This is the theory I favor right now. The dungeon has some timey-wimey magic to it, and the group they're fighting are them from the future, magically altered to appear like demons. The "demon" group have realized they're fighting themselves, which is why they're pointing at the door the GAP need to go through. My guess is that when they go through, they'll find themselves in a similar room, except they'll suddenly be bum-rushed by a group of five demons, who are actually them from the past.

This explains why:
1. Ears's axe shattered. He basically directly attacked a fellow party member.
2. Why Ears detected a large amount of evil from the demons. He's actually sensing the evil from the broken axe, likely the one held by the green demon.

Once again I am impressed with Thunt's imagination when it comes to designing nightmarish creatures. A demon that leaves mouths as its footprints? That right there is something that has never ever occurred to me.

New unfinished page up. Major twist!

Okay, assuming the flea demon is telling the truth and Big Ears's deductions are accurate (which, granted, we don't know for sure right now), it would appear that:

1. There are three Prissans, and we only know about the axe right now. Kore himself might be the third Prissan, the one that imprisons the damned, but I'm not sure about this since I'm not certain Kore's victims count as "damned".
2. The first Prissan, the hammer, is supposed to be even stronger than the axe. I think this implies that the good entity imprisoned within is stronger than the deity demon. If they can get their hands on the first Prissan and release the entity within, then they might have a chance to beat the deity demon.
3. Big Ears is badass.

Last edited:
Ok, so if I have this strait it goes like this:

Diety demon wants to go to the earth realm but can't because he's too powerful. He gets some paladins and clerics to come fight him in hell and allows himself to be imprisoned in the axe. Demons curse Kore, and I'm guessing make him the one for the damned. Axe comes back to Earth with demon diety in it and he's cool with that 'cause what's a thousand years to an immortal god monster? The axe would inevitably break at some point and allow him to come to earth. Big ears just happened to be the guy carrying it.

Ok, so if I have this strait it goes like this:

Diety demon wants to go to the earth realm but can't because he's too powerful. He gets some paladins and clerics to come fight him in hell and allows himself to be imprisoned in the axe. Demons curse Kore, and I'm guessing make him the one for the damned. Axe comes back to Earth with demon diety in it and he's cool with that 'cause what's a thousand years to an immortal god monster? The axe would inevitably break at some point and allow him to come to earth. Big ears just happened to be the guy carrying it.
Largely correct, I think, except I think the demons cursed Kore first, and then he made the axe. As Big Ears said, they couldn't have cursed Kore of they were all trapped in the axe at the time.

Also, the axe may not be a prison at all. It might more accurate to consider it a portal device, or a Trojan horse. The demon deity is waiting in hell for the axe to break, instead of waiting in the axe.

It occurs to me that Minmax may be able to summon a portal to Hell, because he knows Not-Walter's real name (Grinnorarcen) and thus may be able to command him.