Official Goblins (comic) Thread

Will Chief ultimately survive this encounter?

• Yes, Chief will survive

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No, Chief will not survive

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I can close this poll now?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • When did we get that?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

figmentPez

Staff member
Well said. That was the ultimate no-no. I don't think there is a single worse thing he could have done in that situation, not even threaten her with a weapon.
Yeah, this is bad bad bad. I'm reminded of a scene from a movie, but I don't want to spoil that movie by even mentioning the parallel.

If you don't care about spoilers, or know exactly what movie I'm talking about:
Ruby Sparks. There's a scene where the main character reveals to his girlfriend that she's just a character he wrote, and that he can change her by writing more. He makes her do things to prove this, and it's gut-wrenching to watch. Kin and Minmax is even worse for me.

Dave

Staff member
Rich said he was going to leave the internet for a little while and I see why. Holy fucking shit.

Yeah, this looks bad... still not giving up hope though, there IS a chance the characters can fix this, no matter how slim.

Maybe... I dunno, maybe Minmax could command Kin to only obey anyone holding the leash if she wants to? Probably doesn't work that way, but I'm still certain there's some way this could work out.

Necronic

Staff member
I mean.....come on. I understand breaking from traditional story structure but this is a bit ridiculous. Every two strips is an emergency or an w/e. This is supposed to be the "good times" of the strip....

stupid Thunt

ed: Actually, on second though....this seems really out of character for minmax.

According to Thunt's twitter, people are threatening to stop reading the strip? For what? It's too traumatic or something?

I can understand that, though I think saying they will stop completely is a little overboard. I know I might take a break for a while instead of reading as soon as it is released. That there was pretty upsetting and I'm not sure I want continue waiting 5 days for the next upsetting comic. Better to get them all in a row for a while, I think.

The waiting for the next comic to know what happens makes me really like this comic and it's storytelling - it's the only comic I've ended up staying with since finding it - I've dropped off of reading the others I used to have for some reason or another.

It's how Thunt portrays these characters and make you really "feel" for them that makes this such a hard story-line to get through, but I like it - even if that means getting kicked in the feels a lot with all that goes on - Chief dying, this whole mess, etc...

GasBandit

Staff member
The update schedule is my one aggravation of this comic. I guess that means it's a good comic. But as noted previously in the thread, 2x a week is pretty slow, by webcomic standards, especially given how often the author goes to the "non-content filler" well.

The update schedule is my one aggravation of this comic. I guess that means it's a good comic. But as noted previously in the thread, 2x a week is pretty slow, by webcomic standards, especially given how often the author goes to the "non-content filler" well.

I dont really know what happened. A few years ago it was 3 days a week with multiple pages sometimes.

It used to be a two man gig. His partner left.
It was also nowhere near as pretty.

Really though, it's nowhere near as bad as Spinnerette. It used to be 3 pages a week... unless they were going to a con, because then we'd get nothing but sketches for 2 weeks. They'd do a con every month. Right now we're down to 2 pages a week... or at least we were until something happened to one of the artists. Now we're getting pages of what was SUPPOSED to be a physical copy only issue until they can get caught up.

Really, it's infuriating. I know that more than half the artistic team is located in South America, but this ridiculous.

Necronic

Staff member
pfff. You guys think that's bad you should follow Erfworld. I don't think he even has an artist anymore. Most of the time it's just typed words.

pfff. You guys think that's bad you should follow Erfworld. I don't think he even has an artist anymore. Most of the time it's just typed words.
When it was o GiantITP I read/followed it. When it moved off site, I started going to the new site...on occasion. When every damn time I go there, I see more text than comic, sorry, you lost me.
IO read some serial novels on line as well, I don't mind, it's a valid artform. But you make damn sure what you're doing - a novel isn't just a comic without pictures, and a comic isn't just a novel with some pretty drawings around. Neither of those make for very interesting reading.

Also, damn you Thunt!

Well that was fun while it lasted. Maybe they should just slip the stupid leash into the hole already and be done with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well that was fun while it lasted. Maybe they should just slip the stupid leash into the hole already and be done with it.
I think that would kill her. They can't get it off her without killing her, and they can't cut it without killing her, so dipping it partially into oblivion would be as if it had long been cut, and she'd be dead.

Necronic

Staff member
actually it would be as if it never existed. Removing it would kill her, but it has to have existed for it to be removed.