October is now over. Welcome to Mikkovember!

Dave

Staff member
That's right, the big guy gets himself an entire month! In 2013 he went to the big feasting hall in the sky, where the saunas are always clean and never run out of water, and nobody wears sauna pants!

Rest in peace, ya big lug! As long as I draw breath you will not be forgotten!

Dave

Staff member
I have one where he's facing the other way. Too bad I can't make it change based on what sub you are in.

I changed the banner. While I liked the Finnish flag in the Hal, it was hard to see. I have another that has wood in the background like a sauna, but we'll try this one first.
The way it is right now, it makes him look like one of the earlier captains of that space cruise liner from Wall-E.

--Patrick

Fuck... 3 years already.

Everything he did with regards to his life, and what transpired at the end, he brought forth Sisu. I can't believe it's been 3 years already.

Will pick up beer on the way home and pour him a glass.

Can someone link me the thread where Dave announced his passing? I want to feel that whirlwind of emotions again.

Argh. Reading through all the stuff reminds me how horrible November 24th-27th was. The reason I made the announcement rather that Dave is that Mikko's father emailed me. And the reason he did that is because Mikko sent me two PMs on the 24th with little information - dropping out of the secret santa because he wouldn't be able to participate. On asking him for more details and providing him with some information he needed, he said, "Please do not reveal any information you could glean from this message. I will make my own shortly." He never made the promised post.

So I edited the secret santa list, restarted the group PM about sending someone to finland to visit (he refused a visit earlier in August, asking us to wait until he got a little better) with the note, "I have information which I've been asked to withhold, and honestly the details are unimportant. What is important is that anyone with a desire to visit him do so without delay." Everyone seemed to be in a situation where they couldn't go immediately, so I started the process to get an expedited passport on the off chance that I would be the only one to go before the end of December.

I couldn't quite keep the secret, though. I suggested to Dave to use his administrative access to check out my PMs. I don't know, it seems childish now, but I couldn't be the only person who knew things may be significantly worse than NR let on, and so I urged Dave to check my PMs despite Mikko's request. Even so, he never gave me enough information to understand just how close to death he was. I figured we'd have weeks, not days... even if I had a passport I probably wouldn't have scheduled a flight the same day, and that's what it would have required given the length of flights and time zone interaction.

Mikko had his PMs sent to his email, and I had sent subsequent PMs asking if he'd accept a visitor, and giving him my phone and email in case he wanted to contact me more directly. His parents had access to his email so they saw my subsequent PMs with my contact information, and so they sent me an email, which I then posted on the forum.

I remember where I was standing and what I was doing when my phone buzzed due to his father's email. :(

Man, I just went through that thread and the the posts got me teary.

I just realized something on my 2nd post, I quoted something Mikko posted in another thread along with my realization.

North_Ranger said: To give a longer answer... there is a part of me that fears death. It is for quite a simple reason: Let's be honest here, for most of you folks here (with the obvious exception of @Officer_Charon , for instance [I salute you, sir]), the danger of death is mostly an abstract concept at your stage in life. It's something that will happen, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. For me, it's been a little different ever since the doctors told me the best they can do is try to contain my cancer, and that there might be a point in future where we would have to consider whether it would be better to let the disease take its course or keep taking the meds, even if they cause serious side effects.

In other words, death is not an abstract concept for me. I know I am going to kick the bucket well before turning gray. What I don't know is when that will be. A year from now? Two years? Five? Ten? Twenty? That will all depend on how well I react to treatment, and how long it is viable to keep treating me.

As such... well, I fear death if it comes suddenly, as a result of a new stroke that knocks me out of the game. It is very much unlikely with my current medication, but I know the danger is there. I have considered writing goodbye letters and my last will and testament, but as long as I believe I can remain alive I have postponed such concerns for another day. If there ever is a "you only have X months to live", then I will do such things. Until then, I try to focus on living, or "enlightened hedonism", as I call it. I enjoy good food and drink as much as I am able, partake in movies and video games, and both play and GM a game that I have found to my liking. I know I can't do all the things I used to be able to, but what I can do, I will do as long as I can.

The alternative? Contemplating mortality? Yeah, not gonna happen. Finns are already known for being f***ing melancholic and prone to suicide (I blame the weather, really), so I'll leave that shit to other people. The way I figure, if I kept thinking about death all the time, I would ruin what time I had left. And seeing as it's probably not gonna be one where I get to be a cranky octogenarian, I'd rather do something else, thank you very much.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a DVD of Shaun of the Dead in my living room along with a bowl of chips, and they're not gonna hold a movie night on their own :D

North_Ranger, Oct 25, 2013

^^^^

Cancer will take his life less than a month later after he posted this.
Seriously, fuck cancer.

Wow. It's been three years already?

I still think about N_R from time to time, despite not being so active around here much anymore.

November 27th is a Sunday this year, so in celebration of Mikko, pants are hereby going unworn that day.

Man, I haven't thought about it in a while, but I miss the whole sauna pants thing. You know, along with everything else.

I'll be spending most of next weekend in a sauna. I swear it's for him and not because the holiday house I'm going to happens to have a sauna and I like saunas!

Dave

Staff member
By the way, if you want to send his parents, Timo & Leila Metsälä, please let me know and I'll forward you their address.