Naming Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't be the only one who likes to name things. I just got a new external hard drive and spent about 20 minutes trying to track down a suitable name. See, I've been giving my devices names under the scheme of "fictional AI's"

My first computer was ... actually, my first computer was "Mac" Because it was a Mac. I didn't actually consciously name that one.

Second computer: Cortana
Current computer: GLaDOS
iPod shuffle: (Guilty) Spark
iPod touch: Hal (9000)
External Hard Drive: Deep Thought

Does anyone else do this? Or naming vehicles, or anything else? Talk about it!

My first car was the "Golden Whore." It was dirty, always being ridden by a bunch of men in her, and she was always taking all of my damn money!

My wireless networks were Milky Way and Solar System, and my laptops were Galileo, Copernicus, and Cassini

My friend used to call my car true blue running Jew because it's blue and he thought he was being edgy.

I named my dog shadow cause he follows me everywhere.

My computers tend to have names based in Greek Underworld mythology (Lethe, Cerberus, Styx etc)... Yes, I have toolish tendencies.

My first car was a 79 Nova Rally, a Dark blue Nova. Dark Nova. When I was tied in with the Angels 2200 PBP RPG that we had going for a while on our old board, I had a character in the Dark Nova Squadron whose callsign was Claymore... that's what I dubbed my wee beastie.

My other car... the one that the bank just took back was called Hal. It was a 2001 Buick Century, and the on-board computer was constantly trying to kill me whenever I turned the cruise control on... it would randomly accelerate, usually whenever I was right behind the biggest semi on the road.

I renamed my first iPod to iSuck because it was a piece of shit.

I rechristened it iPod after I smashed it into a wall and it started behaving itself.

First PC I ever built - Adam
PC which cost notably more money than I really should've spent at the time - Faust
The PC which I am constantly reformatting and reinstalling and swapping parts for testing BSD/XP/Linux/etc - Soma
First car I ever owned (a black '89 323) - Emil (after a friend's black cat who was a bit of a runt)
Computer which was gifted to my wife as a box of parts so she could enjoy the assembly process (seriously - she loves Ikea) - Flowers

...the rest are pretty boring.
Titanium powerbook - TiBook
Mirrored Drive Door G4 Mac - MDD
Core 2 Mac Mini - MinCorTwo

--Patrick

As an addendum, I am jealous of my friend's job as a sysadmin for the university here mostly because he gets to name servers and computer labs and stuff. There are some excellent ones on the university network if you look around. I think "Caprica" is most recent.

In high school, I was part of the Space Sim club, we simulated a mission to Mars. We were awesome. Anyway, we named our computers after Star Wars characters. Mission Control had Han, Leia, Luke, Chewbacca, C3P0, & R2D2. In the Hab, we had Palpatine, Vader, Fett, & Jabba.

figmentPez

Staff member
My family has had many car names: Cleveland (a Chevy Cavalier), Marvin (had a Marvin the Martian dash ornament), Bubbles (a champagne colored Oldsmobile with electrical problems that would ding randomly, a ditzy blonde), Cornflower (named for it's color), Big Blue (a full size van), Klaus (I don't know why Klaus is Klaus), Duke & Duchess (semi-matching Toyota Sienna and Camry).

I haven't always named my computers, I only started when I first built my own. That was Jester (Kudos if you can name the book this was inspired by.) Now I have Pezzle and my netbook is named fliptopPez.

Back in grade school my scissors were bigger than any of the other kid's, so they got the nickname Hedge Clippers. I think I still have them.

Car: Bearmobile

Laptop: Optimus Prime
Desktop: Ultra Magnus
Netbook: Bumblebee
Wireless Network: Cybertron
PS3: Blaster

Belt-fed Nerf Machinegun: Shenanigans
My Room: The Bear Cave
The Bar that separates the kitchen and living room: Liquid Therapy Dispenser
Wizard hat and Robe: Work Clothes

The Lapinator. :D

Also, obligatory Gargoyles quote: "Do you name everything? Does the river have a name?" ("We call it the Hudson." ) "FINE. Then I shall be The Hudson, as well."

Also, my current bicycle is called Petunia. I blame a friend on Facebook, who named her after I asked for name suggestions. And it kinda stuck.

C

Chazwozel

1995 Camaro : Mona
2002 Camaro : Christine
2004 Wrangler: Beast
2008 Subaru: Scooby

I name my cars. What?

My lap tops name is Snake. My wireless network USED to be named Otakon.

However, my hubby messed things up when we need to reset our network and renamed it Double Zeta, which is apparently a Gundam thing. :(

My studio is called the Rat Room. Why? My rats live in there...or rat. My other rat has passed.

I have a long list of go-to names for DnD characters based on their races, genders, alignments, personalities, appearances, et cetera, but I don't know if that counts.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I named my husband's computer Frankenstein because it was a mish mosh of parts from other machines. It got shortened to Frank, though.

When we built mine a year or so later, it was The Bride (of Frankenstein, not Uma Thurman's character).

Frank died, so my husband got my PC and built me another one. She is named for Bonnie Parker.

My laptop is Belle. She's named for Belle Gunness who was also a serial killer.

The only object that I have named is my original d20 from the D&D box set in the 70's; it is called Billy Baroo.

I don't do this, but my girlfriend names /everything/ she has.

Her iPod: Billy
Her computer: Delilah
Her electric guitar: Patrick
Her acoustic guitar: Joe-Bob

She even names her shoes, but I can't remember those or others off the top of my head.

I always name my computers after fictional supercomputers or AIs.

MCP, Hal, WOPR, Shodan and my current computer Durandal.

Had a buddy who named his Warhammer 40k figurines that particularly distinguished themselves - the one that stands out in my mind was Major "Iron-Balls" McGinty

Sometimes I'm great at coming up with names, for characters, items, NPCs and the like. But I don't name my car, computer, appliances, that kind of thing.

But I have named my pistols. They are "Creighton Agamemnon" and "Horace Neoptolemus".

One of the more interesting names I've used for a weaponry store in a DnD game I used to run was "Bloodbath and Beyond".

I had a 10 year old Gran Prix in High School that I called the wheelie car. When friends say a 4 ton car can't do a wheelie...

I say no, it's "Wheelie (will he) make it home?"

Status
Not open for further replies.