not so serious but I want to rant II: Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since getting caught up on my backlog of cases at work (which of course started out as my predecessor's backlog) I've had at most 5 hours of work to do each day. Most days I've had less than 1 hour of work to do. I am bored out of my skull and worried about my continuing position here (on account of how little work I have to do, as well as a few upcoming org changes). The worst part, of course, isn't that I'm caught up and have very few new cases coming in (because let's be honest, I'd much rather fewer people die and their loved ones have to contact me than have work to do), it's the fact that all of the people who could give me other projects to work on are out of the office for this entire week in meetings that have to do with the aforementioned org changes. But basically this is just a rant because I'm bored out of my skull.

Actors suck ass and producing movies would be so much easier without them. Last Friday we had our shooting schedule all set but yesterday I came into the office to learn that an actor had some kind of conflict and now everything is up in the air. So now I can't book any of my vehicles until this shit is figured out and I have to hope that they're still available on whichever days we end up needing them.

Actors suck ass and producing movies would be so much easier without them. Last Friday we had our shooting schedule all set but yesterday I came into the office to learn that an actor had some kind of conflict and now everything is up in the air. So now I can't book any of my vehicles until this shit is figured out and I have to hope that they're still available on whichever days we end up needing them.
Is it Christian Bale? You're lucky he didn't curse at your DP.

Ever since getting caught up on my backlog of cases at work (which of course started out as my predecessor's backlog) I've had at most 5 hours of work to do each day. Most days I've had less than 1 hour of work to do. I am bored out of my skull and worried about my continuing position here (on account of how little work I have to do, as well as a few upcoming org changes). The worst part, of course, isn't that I'm caught up and have very few new cases coming in (because let's be honest, I'd much rather fewer people die and their loved ones have to contact me than have work to do), it's the fact that all of the people who could give me other projects to work on are out of the office for this entire week in meetings that have to do with the aforementioned org changes. But basically this is just a rant because I'm bored out of my skull.
I know what you mean. Ever since my boss has been out of the office (6 of the last 7 work days) very little seems to get done around here. Some of it's a case of us needing his guidance and having to wait for his feedback on an issue but mostly HE'S the one clients will contact first with new projects or whatever and he hasn't been passing them on to us.

Even yesterday when he was in, he and 2 other people (a total of 60% of my office) got embroiled in a completely off-topic discussion. Things seems slow.

GasBandit

Staff member
With the state of the art in CGI advancing as it is, you might not have long to wait to no longer need actors at all (other than voice actors). I remember people talking about this very thing when Final Fantasy: Spirits Within came out and the male lead/love interest looked remarkably like a CGI Ben Affleck. The CGI parts of Avatar were the real stars, and heck, even in video games, they can seem to make an 80's era Sam Neil on steroids a Space Marine.

I'm real fucking glad I kept my jury duty expulsion papers... my ID was expired and I almost didn't get to vote today. Honestly, weren't State ID requirements tossed out with the Jim Crow laws?

I'm real fucking glad I kept my jury duty expulsion papers... my ID was expired and I almost didn't get to vote today. Honestly, weren't State ID requirements tossed out with the Jim Crow laws?
Yep, but now they're back with a vengeance. Don't want none of them pinko commie leftists voting in our good ol' Amurkin eelekshuns. Or none of them ill-eagle aliens, or them people what are too poor to have any consequence... /soapbox.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yep, but now they're back with a vengeance. Don't want none of them pinko commie leftists voting in our good ol' Amurkin eelekshuns. Or none of them ill-eagle aliens, or them people what are too poor to have any consequence... /soapbox.
Or, you know, the far more common "one guy goes to 10 different polling booths with 10 different names" thing we keep having problems with.

Or, you know, the far more common "one guy goes to 10 different polling booths with 10 different names" thing we keep having problems with.
Except we totally don't. They did a study of voter rolls in Florida and found that there were only 26 cases of actual fraud and nearly all of those were felons trying to vote. There wasn't a single case of multiple voting, nor were there any cases of illegal aliens trying to vote.

The only thing voter ID laws do is keep the poor and minority voters out of the rolls (and people who fall through the cracks, like I almost did).

GasBandit

Staff member
Except we totally don't. They did a study of voter rolls in Florida and found that there were only 26 cases of actual fraud and nearly all of those were felons trying to vote. There wasn't a single case of multiple voting, nor were there any cases of illegal aliens trying to vote.

The only thing voter ID laws do is keep the poor and minority voters out of the rolls (and people who fall through the cracks, like I almost did).
Chicago is a different story. And I call bullshit on "poor and minority" voters not being able to show ID.

B

Biannoshufu

So, maybe you want to move this debate to a relevant thread, and post facts and all that? No? Ok, well now you know why I'm ranting here.

'Cause

I would like to point you to the following two links, both dealing with independent studies showing that requiring government issued photo IDs can prevent as much as 12% of the population (including poor, minority, and elderly voting age citizens) from being able to vote. One study is from 2007, noting the 12% population number, the other is from 2011 and notes an 11% number:

http://www4.uwm.edu/eti/2007/VoterID.htm
http://www.brennancenter.org/content/section/category/voter_id

On a more practical note, if I had to choose between going to work or standing in line to get my driver's license renewed (and I didn't need to drive in order to get to work), I know which I'd choose. Luckily, I'm no longer a part of the working class that is so close to the poverty line (or below it) that I have to choose between working (and not getting fired for missing work, or losing pay for the hours I'm not there and not being able to afford food) or being legal to drive.

First minor rants:
Damn it! They sold my house. No, not the one I'm renting a room in currently, but the one that is around the corner from me, a foreclosure, run down in dire need of major work fixer upper that I feel in love with it's potential and tried to buy but at that time the were not entertaining offers. The put it up without my knowledge and it sold apparently in no time. Fuck!!

Minor rant two:
Was hard enough to find THIS thread. Mods go and lock stuff up.... *grumble* I didn't feel like going to look for the "sequel" since I didn't readily recognize it on the front page. So, boom, Necro'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.